Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
so what's the tl;dr?

flat or not flat?
They just posted it and its 20 min.
But so far he says it looks "flat" because a specific time of day the demo is in.
The game uses dynamic lighting not pre baked. So you see alot of enemies for example in shadow and so they dont create a shadow. And then can look flat.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
He gives Death Stranding of a game that might have similar issues, but the artistic choices in that game do a much better job of accounting for the deficiencies of the lighting system.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ten minutes in (so halfway through) and, seriously, god bless Alex with these deep dives. This is an amazing video. Fascinating tech dive stuff.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
SO true about even being in a shadowed area as the sun was going down. Such a bizarre choice.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Made it about 4:30 in before I couldn't understand what was being said. That's pretty good for me and a DF video.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
His point about not caring what the older consoles can do with lighting is right on. I have a feeling when ray tracing is implemented, this game is gonna shine. Right now tho?...

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
tenor.gif

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Really interesting, it's seem that when ray tracing is added it could change a lot. Maybe everything has been made around having ray tracing ilumination but due to COVID they haven't had the time to implemented for the launch.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
This is what I've been saying, it seems like they're all in on their Ray Tracing patch. The current lighting system seems to have been disregarded.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Great video as always. Makes a ton of sense when broken out the way Alex did. That said, I hope some of the issues he brought up are being addressed at 343, ideally they're already aware and have either fixed (older build) or are working on.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
A certain game looks like art at low light situations. In fact you might be itching to take a screen shot because of the low sun and a dramatic arrangement of flowers, water, and wildlife. My current desktop is a picture made from a low light part of that game, which has dynamic day night.

Maybe when the game get closer and closer to release all of that work to make the light dynamic will pay off in Halo, especially with ray tracing.

That NPC's face looked worse after the ray tracing in that Metro Exodus example.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Love Alex's videos, will give this a watch.

Infinite didn't blow me away graphically like I was expecting it to. The combat and sandbox gameplay looks awesome though. It was a good showing, but not the home run that it needed to be.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
so basically.

halo uses dynamic lighting, but the demo was set during a time of day where there was not a lot natural light. many models (e.g. characters, items, weapons) have textures which depend on being directly hit by dynamic light to look good, and so lose detail when they are in shadow. this is one of the shortcomings of using dynamic light.

he compares the game to the last of us 2 which uses static baked in lights. tlou2 has much nicer looking dark areas because of that, but you could never bake those kind of details into an large openspace like halo.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the example with Metro Exodus. Widespread adoption of RT GI is something of dreams for me. My biggest gripe with real-time rendering is the lack of self-shadowing and indirect lighting; games like Control and Metro have spoiled me!

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Said this in another thread, but:

I think this video is a great explanation of 3d art and rendering techniques to non-artists, something which i think DF has been not very good at in the past. Fantastic video for that alone.

But i think the last bit about how the actual assets and specular maps are bad has a lot more to do with the game looking bad than their dated by last gen standards tech.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Based on this analysis I hope the final game will look much better. Since fixing the lightning will go a long way.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
so basically.

halo uses dynamic lighting, but the demo was set during a time of day where there was not a lot natural light. many models (e.g. characters, items, weapons) have textures which depend on being directly hit by dynamic light to look good, and so lose detail when they are in shadow. this is one of the shortcomings of using dynamic light.

he compares the game to the last of us 2 which uses static baked in lights. tlou2 has much nicer looking dark areas because of that, but you could never bake those kind of details into an large openspace like halo.
Well that explains that at least, good to know this means good things for other parts of the game.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Really interesting, it's seem that when ray tracing is added it could change a lot. Maybe everything has been made around having ray tracing ilumination but due to COVID they haven't had the time to implemented for the launch.
A ray tracing update could potentially just be for reflections too. Ray traced lighting would requite them to significantly bump down resolution. I'm not sure they are willing to sacrifice native 4K since it's a selling point they are pushing.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Ah so Ray Tracing would fix a large amount of the issues. Hopefully they don't just do it for reflections

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it running on a brand new engine though? Why would they make a new engine that's tailored for old hardware and rendering techniques so late in the generation?

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Love DF but this is mostly just an analysis on the visuals. Which is fine since that's DF's thing, but the sandbox, gunplay, environments, and everything else is what seems amazing so i'm already sold even if the visuals stay the same.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree with Alex that the game seemingly being unimaginative in regards to how the convenant looks.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Isn't it running on a brand new engine though? Why would they make a new engine that's tailored for old hardware and rendering techniques so late in the generation?
The game was originally an Xbox One game and was delayed to rework the story. It's been in development for over 5 years now so next-gen wasn't really a thing yet back then.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Lighting is just one of the problems with the demo, as Alex states, the textures in general are kinda dull as well as the rest of the effects like explosions, and shields. No amount of raytracing will fix wallguy 2.0 models IMO

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
The opaque effects part, indeed. The plasmas and shields and everything look worse than even old Halo games.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes, watching this in a moment. Digital Foundry has been so damn fantastic lately. I've always loved their work, but their format in the past year or so has just been really, really fantastic and more informative than ever. I lack the technical knowledge to express exactly what I love or don't like about a game's look, and they always help teach me how to better express these opinions.

Oct 27, 2017
Raytracing really should have been included at launch and used now to show off the series X capabilities like he was saying. I'd much rather have a lower resolution 60fps and raytracing than 4K and less lighting solutions.

Touched on it in the end there but the lighting is only the base of this games problems. Their explosions and textures also could use way more detail. Hopefully we do those get beefed up more before launch.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Im still not sold on the issue with the grass. I know its really nit picky. But RDR2 seems to draw so much more foliage and grass at a way further distance at 4K on the Xbox One X. I understand its only 30fps. But surely we are looking at a big enough leap in GPU power for that to not really be an issue.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020

Well the engine creation began roughly 5 years ago, so its newly finished. It seems the main issue is the last gen dynamic lighting system in the engine. This system inherent to the engine is allowing old Xbox One S to play it. That's why they're working on ray tracing, which is obviously targeting the Series X.

Basically the demo was a Series X equivalent PC running a demo that was using lighting settings from 2015, and they intend to implement ray tracing instead of the engine lighting for Series X and higher end PC hardware.