Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The rumours are at last confirmed with Bluepoint's incredible reveal of its Demon's Souls Remake. The project sets out to make the very most of the PS5, boasting a native 4K, vastly improved visuals over PS3, and the prospect of ray-tracing support. Tom Morgan breaks down the trailer and assets released by Sony, showing how far we've come in over a generation.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
It looks really good. Glad it's an early PS5 game and not a late PS4 game. At this point, what's another year.

One nice piece of information from the DF article is that you can choose between higher framerate or improved visuals.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the difference between high framerate and visual mode will be only resolution, and also, if high framerate means only 60 or more.

The good thing about next gen is that we'll have choice thanks to the versatility of HDMI 2.1.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Watching this video... I'm sorry for regurgitating what many have already said but I have say I'm not a fan of Bluepoint's aesthetic choices with the environment and vibrancy of colors in the world. This world is supposed to look dead and oppressive but instead it looks vibrant and alive now and environmental details were added or changed not because they really benefited the game but because they could. By no means does the remake look ugly or bad and I'm actually still excited to play it but it just doesn't really resemble the From Software game that it is.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
ps5-demonsouls-video-thumb-block-07-en-110620

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I don't mind all the changes, as much as I like the original, it has ages poorly even when playing with emulator.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
performance mode FTW. never played demon souls. didnt really like dark souls but bloodborne is one of my games of this gen. will be interested to see how this plays.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Is this Demon Souls a remake in the Shadow of the Collosus sense (mostly graphics and not much story and gameplay changes) or is it more like a Resident Evil remake (complete remake / reimagining of everything in the game)?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's one crazy update lol, damn! With my 1080p screen, a performance mode at a steady 60 fps would be gold. And hopefully load times that do not exceed 5 seconds (my biggest gripe about Bloodborne)!

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Watching this video... I'm sorry for regurgitating what many have already said but I have say I'm not a fan of Bluepoint's aesthetic choices with the environment and vibrancy of colors in the world. This world is supposed to look dead and oppressive but instead it looks vibrant and alive now and environmental details were added or changed not because they really benefited the game but because they could. By no means does the remake look ugly or bad and I'm actually still excited to play it but it just doesn't really resemble the From Software game that it is.

The grayish green color grading of the original could easily be added back in as a toggle, but I personally will wait to see what the game will end up like in motion before I judge one way or the other.

As for From's "vision" of the game. Demon's Souls was a game that was highly constrained by budget, time, and heavy rework. We as consumers have no idea if the Demon's Souls that was released was actually the finalized vision of what From actually wanted to do with the game. I believe its already been shown that the concept art for the game already hinted at the fact that From would have probably have done more visually with the game if they had the time and resources to do so.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe quality mode at native 4K/RTX/30fps and performance mode at reconstructed4K/no RTX/60fps? Or maybe they can even mantain native 4K@60fps.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I think from an artistic perspective I often find myself liking the original versions of these games compared to the remasters. (Gears is another one.)

The originals, due to resource constraints, had to rely on smoke and shadows to hide detail and in doing so tended to be more emotionally atmospheric, IMO. The remasters have this detailed sheen to them, and not always for the better.

(Don't get me wrong, the performance enhancements always make the remasters better.)

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
WTF... I can't believe people want the same to look as bland and empty as the original. This is probably what FS was trying to do if the hardware they were working on allowed it. There is foliage and whatnot in the original, if you are in an abandoned city this is what it should look like. This is what bricks in a castle falling apart should look like.

I even wish BP takes this a step further and improved the animation of everything too.

Like how's it even possible to prefer this
EaRdLScXsAETfyu

To this...
EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'll be sad if the shrine of storms scene with the skeleton was actually CGI. I was really hoping we would get really nice CGI level volumetric smoke and fluid simulation this gen. I guess, maybe not close to launch?

Anyway, the trailer still blows me away. Also, I'm very confused to see various people complain about the lack of fog. The fog density seems to be higher in the remake than the original.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The original is 'scarier' than the new one.

Maybe they will add a filter option, like in SOTC?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Really like this early comparison. Please make noobe mode couse I really would like to try this title and never played any souls like game

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
WTF... I can't believe people want the same to look as bland and empty as the original. This is probably what FS was trying to do if the hardware they were working on allowed it. There is foliage and whatnot in the original, if you are in an abandoned city this is what it should look like. This is what bricks in a castle falling apart should look like.

I even wish BP takes this a step further and improved the animation of everything too.

EaRdLScXsAETfyu

To this...
EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ
What people don't like about this remake is that it's too bright. Everything is shining through and lighting up the entire game sure you want it to show those things off, but this game is a darker looking game nothing in a lot of these games has been over the top and bright like it is now in the remake.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait...DF seems to suggest quite a few scenes are pre-rendered in this...Why would they do that if so? I mean even the bits at the start look in engine, but prerendering kind of takes away from presenting it as a system showcase...They also suggested the skeleton soldier was pre-rendered. Really? Again, why would they do that? Doesn't make any sense to me.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

EaRdLScXsAETfyu

To this...
EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ
I miss the old architecture. The new one looks amazing but looks straight out of Bloodborne/DS3. That is a huge change.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Wait...DF seems to suggest quite a few scenes are pre-rendered in this...Why would they do that if so? I mean even the bits at the start look in engine, but prerendering kind of takes away from presenting it as a system showcase...They also suggested the skeleton soldier was pre-rendered. Really? Again, why would they do that? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Opening cinematic for the original was pre-rendered, so they're just analyzing the footage available to them, which is mostly just that cinematic on PS5.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017

EaRdLScXsAETfyu

To this...
EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ

The first one seems more...depressing to me. I have also not played Demon's Souls so I have no nostalgia for this game.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Opening cinematic for the original was pre-rendered, so they're just analyzing the footage available to them, which is mostly just that cinematic on PS5.

But weren't they saying the PS5 trailer was using pre-rendered footage, such as at the beginning? That would be weird if so, they should be able to render that kind of landscape on PS5 particularly if it is just a cutscene. Pretty darn disappointing if it is just CG. It would look very impressive as real time footage, but it wouldn't be impressive as CG. My belief that it is at least in engine is that there is obvious examples of where geometry isn't as crazy as it could be if you were pre-rendering, particularly in the rock formations

May 7, 2020
What people don't like about this remake is that it's too bright. Everything is shining through and lighting up the entire game sure you want it to show those things off, but this game is a darker looking game nothing in a lot of these games has been over the top and bright like it is now in the remake.
are you serious?

3ebe9678f2b733c1b72956b0179a65bf30705520.gifv

901e05555bbc715bc3512ba0e750e38600f1d37f.gifv

is4rtyx1qj451.jpg

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I miss the old architecture. The new one looks amazing but looks straight out of Bloodborne/DS3. That is a huge change.
The first one seems more...depressing to me. I have also not played Demon's Souls so I have no nostalgia for this game.
I would like t think that's mostly just alighting issue? If we can even call it an issue. Indoor areas would probably be darker, and not all outdoor areas would be as bright. The way I see it is hat the lighting is just more accurate.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Bluepoint, please, don't listen to this crybabies. I'm all for a reimagination. DeS is my 2nd favorite Souls game and I played it at launch without knowing what to expect. This trailer looks nuts and here's hoping for a lot of surprises along the way.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I wonder how many people that complaint about remake is too different actualy finished original ;d

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
uhhh... im not sure how DF managed to make a 14 minute video with no new info? They just are describing what we already can see ourselves? Didnt we already have these photos already? I like DF but there is nothing new here?

*shrugs*

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
uhhh... im not sure how DF managed to make a 14 minute video with no new info? They just are describing what we already can see ourselves? Didnt we already have these photos already? I like DF but there is nothing new here?

*shrugs*
I for one appreciate this video. Yes, its what we know, but they up to in perspective.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

*shrugs*
they found one gameplay screen is 1440p so we have dynamic resolution or 1440p60fps performance mode, I've found this video quite interesting (much more informative than only screens comparison we had already)

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
One things for sure - this will be the best looking souls title and won't have bad frame pacing. I'll be going for the fidelity mode - i want full ray tracing, 4k etc etc.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The grayish green color grading of the original could easily be added back in as a toggle, but I personally will wait to see what the game will end up like in motion before I judge one way or the other.

As for From's "vision" of the game. Demon's Souls was a game that was highly constrained by budget, time, and heavy rework. We as consumers have no idea if the Demon's Souls that was released was actually the finalized vision of what From actually wanted to do with the game. I believe its already been shown that the concept art for the game already hinted at the fact that From would have probably have done more visually with the game if they had the time and resources to do so.
This.