• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This was the inspiration for Devil May Cry, wasn't it? There are so many parallels to DMC that it can't be a coincidence.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Akira must be dumb as fuck,Ryo is really suspicious since the beggining, murdering humans cold blood,filming everything, talking about "humans" like he isn't part of it, maniacal laughts, etc

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
So there's a special edition Blu-Ray set coming out the 30th of May... for around ~$290 (thanks Aniplex!)

It includes two CD's, two artbooks of some kind, and a poster. I don't know if it has English subs (which I doubt) or is region free (which I doubt). But hey, if you live in Japan and are making them fat stacks it can be something to add to your collection. I hope a non-special edition comes out in the west, but knowing Aniplex and Netflix, something tells me that's not likely.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is it crazy to buy that as it's likely the only way to own a legit physical version of this wonder? I'm hovering over the button.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there's a special edition Blu-Ray set coming out the 30th of May... for around ~$290 (thanks Aniplex!)

It includes two CD's, two artbooks of some kind, and a poster. I don't know if it has English subs (which I doubt) or is region free (which I doubt). But hey, if you live in Japan and are making them fat stacks it can be something to add to your collection. I hope a non-special edition comes out in the west, but knowing Aniplex and Netflix, something tells me that's not likely.

Honestly this sounds very much in line with Japanese prices for animes.
Which is to say ridiculous.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Finished watching it today and aside from certain disconnecting elements it was fantastic. It didn't fall into the regular cliche tropes for hero characters as well as side characters. The highlight for me has to be the soundtrack... holy shit! It's so good!

So the question now is whether the show reached an absolute conclusion or whether we may see a sequel (personally, I thought this was a self contained story).

Oct 25, 2017

This is the reason why I still don't own Kill La Kill on Blu Ray...

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching it today and aside from certain disconnecting elements it was fantastic. It didn't fall into the regular cliche tropes for hero characters as well as side characters. The highlight for me has to be the soundtrack... holy shit! It's so good!

So the question now is whether the show reached an absolute conclusion or whether we may see a sequel (personally, I thought this was a self contained story).
It is definitely a self-contained story. And I would imagine that Yuasa was certain that's all he was going for (and for sure, all he intended to commit to). There is more to the series than this in terms of the manga universe, but mostly it seemed like a justification by Nagai for himself to "reimagine" the original with different characters. (Devil Lady for instance was Nagai saying how he wanted to imagine how Devilman would have gone with a woman as the lead character)

So yeah, I very much doubt there will be anything of a "Season 2" since even if say Netflix really really wanted it, I don't think they have the sway to get it. I actually don't know exactly who owns the Devilman IP for anime licensing, so not even sure who makes a call to ask for more to begin with.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Akira must be dumb as fuck,Ryo is really suspicious since the beggining, murdering humans cold blood,filming everything, talking about "humans" like he isn't part of it, maniacal laughts, etc
A co-worker (who eventually came around to loving the series after thinking about it for a week) was completely hung up on the fact that nobody on the track team noticed or commented on the devilman run.

e059o.gif

I'm really glad this series kept the batshit spirit of a Go Nagai comic and didn't let it deter from moving at a lightning fast pace.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I collect some shows too but physical copies always seemed inconvenient. Scratches,loss, etc
If you take care of your collection it's not a big deal at all. Plus it looks way better. And having a collection is fun in and of itself. It's the same reason I buy physical games over digital when I can.

Oct 25, 2017
I collect some shows too but physical copies always seemed inconvenient. Scratches,loss, etc
If you have no internet because the router the cable company provides you with is crap then you can't stream. I buy the stuff I love, and I stream stuff to see if I might be into something. Hunter x Hunter for example will at some point get a purchase (Mind you I've seen the series twice, I just love it that much), the same with JJBA.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
As it does, Netflix was skipping the credits and intros between episodes. When it didn't after episode 9 I figured there was going to be a new credit sequence or a special teaser for the finale. Instead, it was 2 minutes of Akira taking Mika for a ride on his motorcycle, and I was just overwhelmed by the sequence. There was pressure in my chest and I was sad and happy simultaneously. I realized that I loved these characters and their world and was more affected by Crybaby than any other show I've seen in a while. This dreamlike story of love and hope during the apocalypse if shortlisted as the best thing on Television in 2018. It's funny and exciting and a pleasure to look at and has a just incredible soundtrack with terrific performances and some surprisingly snappy rapping.

That being said, not sure I could recommend it to anyone not already on board with anime. A refined palate is required.

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched Devil Lady and damn, Jun just can't catch a break. Poor woman didn't even have any happy moment the whole show and things kept getting worse and worse for her. I guess the Devilman curse continues. I loved this anime because it had nothing to do with Devilman Lady manga nor the Devilman universe apart from names and references. I also liked the soundtrack a lot for how different and bleak it sounds. I definitely recommend it but keep in mind that its a very different show compared to this and isn't for everybody.

As far as Devilman adaptation goes, Crybaby is the best so far. It was so good at everything it tried to do and the way Yuasa modernized it was awesome. The music, the art style, and the changes to the story made the whole package the best adaptation of the manga.

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched Devil Lady and damn, Jun just can't catch a break. Poor woman didn't even have any happy moment the whole show and things kept getting worse and worse for her. I guess the Devilman curse continues. I loved this anime because it had nothing to do with Devilman Lady manga nor the Devilman universe apart from names and references. I also liked the soundtrack a lot for how different and bleak it sounds. I definitely recommend it but keep in mind that its a very different show compared to this and isn't for everybody.

As far as Devilman adaptation goes, Crybaby is the best so far. It was so good at everything it tried to do and the way Yuasa modernized it was awesome. The music, the art style, and the changes to the story made the whole package the best adaptation of the manga.
I'll agree it's not like Crybaby. Also I really liked Ran Asuka, she's probably one of the most interesting female villains I've ever seen.
She's a transgender lesbian from New Jersey
You just don't run into that in a random anime. Jun was a sweet woman though, got it pretty bad.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
With the difference being...

There's no transformation, Ryo has always been Satan. He also played Akira from the beginning, and had no hand in Akira's family being murdered. Ryo simply gave in to his nature. Griffith is a lot more complex than Satan, he truely loved the Taka no Dan, and sacrificed these people in order to achieve his dream of Falconia, even the Godhand were just a tool he used to get closer to that. Griffith also didn't play Guts, they had a genuine friendship that fell apart because Guts *felt* used and wanted to be his own man. Both Guts and Griffith have a LOT more agency than either Akira/Ryo, who are stuck in a vicious cycle of fate. Comparing Akira/Ryo to Guts/Griffith completely downplays the latter.

There is a clear difference when you really break it down, but on the surface I found it to be similar.
Both share religious tones with fate being a big theme. Yeah of course Guts/Griffith are no doubt more complex as is their relationship. and I do think that Ryo was responsible in the death of Miko and her family by going on the air and declaring war on demons, which in turn made humanity into bloodthirsty savages. Also if Ryo didn't single out Akira than Miki wouldn't have gotten murdered.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll agree it's not like Crybaby. Also I really liked Ran Asuka, she's probably one of the most interesting female villains I've ever seen.
She's a transgender lesbian from New Jersey
You just don't run into that in a random anime. Jun was a sweet woman though, got it pretty bad.
I agree. This anime as a whole has many things not found anywhere else which made it rise up as one of unique and interesting media I have ever seen.

Emka

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the series yesterday. It's going to stay on my mind for awhile.
The 2 last episodes, especially the post-credits scene of episode 9 and the ending of episode 10 hit me right in the feels, just wow.

I've been listening to the soundtrack all day since.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As it does, Netflix was skipping the credits and intros between episodes. When it didn't after episode 9 I figured there was going to be a new credit sequence or a special teaser for the finale. Instead, it was 2 minutes of Akira taking Mika for a ride on his motorcycle, and I was just overwhelmed by the sequence. There was pressure in my chest and I was sad and happy simultaneously. I realized that I loved these characters and their world and was more affected by Crybaby than any other show I've seen in a while. This dreamlike story of love and hope during the apocalypse if shortlisted as the best thing on Television in 2018. It's funny and exciting and a pleasure to look at and has a just incredible soundtrack with terrific performances and some surprisingly snappy rapping.

That being said, not sure I could recommend it to anyone not already on board with anime. A refined palate is required.

Yeah I noticed it wasn't skipping the credits like normal and kept watching. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was not that and I did not expect to be so caught up in the emotion of it all. It felt so beautiful and calming yet unfair and soul crushing all at once. It was a rare feeling and has really stuck with me. It was like Yuasa had to give us just a taste of what could have been.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. This anime as a whole has many things not found anywhere else which made it rise up as one of unique and interesting media I have ever seen.
I honestly wouldn't mind if this show got a fresh coat of paint but at the same time I would need a few more eps to let certain things marinate a bit. The reveal with Asuka wouldn't have the same weight if you didn't spend that much time with her. It's clearly a 90's anime but it has a good uniqueness to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wouldn't mind if this show got a fresh coat of paint but at the same time I would need a few more eps to let certain things marinate a bit. The reveal with Asuka wouldn't have the same weight if you didn't spend that much time with her. It's clearly a 90's anime but it has a good uniqueness to it.
I would not mind it too, and yeah if it was as fast paced as Crybaby it would feel off. The thing that made me like this anime was that even though it was long and a bit "monster of the week", it made me care with Jun's life getting ruined each episode. You could feel that its only going to be worse and worse the longer the show continues. The last 6 episodes especially needed the other 20 episodes for the big payoff at the end.

Sadly I feel this will only get forgotten time goes on because its not the "real" Devil Lady so we might never get a remake of it which is a shame as the vibe of the story and the music was really cool and atomspheric.

Oct 25, 2017
I would not mind it too, and yeah if it was as fast paced as Crybaby it would feel off. The thing that made me like this anime was that even though it was long and a bit "monster of the week", it made me care with Jun's life getting ruined each episode. You could feel that its only going to be worse and worse the longer the show continues. The last 6 episodes especially needed the other 20 episodes for the big payoff at the end.

Sadly I feel this will only get forgotten time goes on because its not the "real" Devil Lady so we might never get a remake of it which is a shame as the vibe of the story and the music was really cool and atomspheric.
Devil lady would not be the same show if you didn't spend as much time with the monsters of the week. You actually got to know them as people the same way that Jun did. It actually makes the encounters more personal. Without that they're just meaningless fodder. Also you need that time to build up Asuka, she's a pretty stand up female for the most part but she's dark and it was nice seeing all of those aspects. She can be fearsome but she has a soft...ish side. Pretty much you'd have to do the same show without it coming off as a 90's show for it to work.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it.

Didn't sleep.

It lingers on your soul and hammers the fact that you and everything around you, don't mean shit. I've never been more upset about anything quite like this before and I regret nothing. What a piece of work.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
The filming was explained to reveal the truth about demons later on. Akira also didn't seem to remember Ryo murdering the people in the first episode.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is a clear difference when you really break it down, but on the surface I found it to be similar.
Both share religious tones with fate being a big theme. Yeah of course Guts/Griffith are no doubt more complex as is their relationship. and I do think that Ryo was responsible in the death of Miko and her family by going on the air and declaring war on demons, which in turn made humanity into bloodthirsty savages. Also if Ryo didn't single out Akira than Miki wouldn't have gotten murdered.

Humantiy was on the downward spiral before the TV outing, though, Ryo just poured oil into the fire. The only reason Miko became a target is because she, herself stepped up for Akira. Also, I think it's very important that Griffith did not sacrifice the Taka no Dan out of evilness or in order to hurt anyone. He did it for himself, for his ambition, his dream, and his interaction with Rikkelt showed that he doesn't think what he did was bad. That alone makes the dynamic a lot different, IMO.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and it feels surprisingly current considering that it's based on a 45 year old manga. Yuasa did a good job modernizing it.
Looked up the manga after the I watched the show and I was surprised how many of the story beats were already there. Don't really expect a manga with such an innocent artstyle to get so dark. And yeah, they really did an amazing job updating it.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having wrapped it up I can say that was wild as shit and got really sad at the end there.

Not sure what's the opinion on the dub, but I thought it was fantastic and I can generally be nitpicky over that.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Humantiy was on the downward spiral before the TV outing, though, Ryo just poured oil into the fire. The only reason Miko became a target is because she, herself stepped up for Akira. Also, I think it's very important that Griffith did not sacrifice the Taka no Dan out of evilness or in order to hurt anyone. He did it for himself, for his ambition, his dream, and his interaction with Rikkelt showed that he doesn't think what he did was bad. That alone makes the dynamic a lot different, IMO.
I mean so did Satan that was literally the entire point. He wasn't doing it for shits and giggles he did it because in the manga he hated humans and what they did to the planet and was preparing to fight god and in Crybaby he did again to gather a demon army and face off against god (God is was and continued to be an existential threat to him).

Also Griffth is just as manipulative as Ryo right from the start. In fact if you remove that he's not even remotely the same character. His downfall was that he was a power obsessed control freak.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
4 episodes in.

It's decent so far but I'm having a hard time really connecting to any characters so far.
I don't really get what the relationship is between the main character and the blonde dude. I dunno, seems like there's barely any characterization right now.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean so did Satan that was literally the entire point. He wasn't doing it for shits and giggles he did it because in the manga he hated humans and what they did to the planet and was preparing to fight god and in Crybaby he did again to gather a demon army and face off against god (God is was and continued to be an existential threat to him).

Also Griffth is just as manipulative as Ryo right from the start. In fact if you remove that he's not even remotely the same character. His downfall was that he was a power obsessed control freak.

You're painting Griffith way too simple. He didn't control and abuse the Taka no Dan. They were a tool, but they were also his family. He felt a deep affection for them, and losing them *hurt* him, that was the point of the sacrifice, in order to become an apostle, you have to sacrifice what you love most in your entire life. Griffith did that. To further his own ambition, sure, but the entire point behind Satan is that what happens is *FATE*, Satan has no say in it, and the history keeps repeating. It wasn't Satan's wish to fight and murder Akira, that was something completely beyond Satan's control.

Saying Griffith = Satan simplifies Griffith's and Satan's character to a degree that I simply cannot agree with. Especially since Griffith's actions aren't just for his own self satisfaction, but as of right now, for the greater good. Not that that makes him any less of an evil scumbag, but he's an entirely different beast from Satan, who's a slave to his fate.

Oct 25, 2017

This is kinda my big issue. From episode one Ryo shows himself to be garbage and Akira just keeps associating with him because...???

The show was compelling enough to make me finish it, and it was a pretty wild (mostly harrowing) ride, but ultimately I'm not sure I'm enamored with it as much as most people seem to be. I also found it frustrating how it can look so goddamn cool at times but also look janky af in other instances.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
You're painting Griffith way too simple. He didn't control and abuse the Taka no Dan. They were a tool, but they were also his family. He felt a deep affection for them, and losing them *hurt* him, that was the point of the sacrifice, in order to become an apostle, you have to sacrifice what you love most in your entire life. Griffith did that. To further his own ambition, sure, but the entire point behind Satan is that what happens is *FATE*, Satan has no say in it, and the history keeps repeating. It wasn't Satan's wish to fight and murder Akira, that was something completely beyond Satan's control.

Saying Griffith = Satan simplifies Griffith's and Satan's character to a degree that I simply cannot agree with. Especially since Griffith's actions aren't just for his own self satisfaction, but as of right now, for the greater good. Not that that makes him any less of an evil scumbag, but he's an entirely different beast from Satan, who's a slave to his fate.
Obviously they're not the same but there are similarities which is what people would refer to. I'd also disagree with how much he cared. I mean of course he did but he also lost his shit when guts tried to his own man which due to his stupidity and later carelessness resulted in him sacrificing his comrades and raping caska out of pettiness. Sure he'a developed after the fact but no-one that truly cared does the actions he did.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Obviously they're not the same but there are similarities which is what people would refer to. I'd also disagree with how much he cared. I mean of course he did but he also lost his shit when guts tried to his own man which due to his stupidity and later carelessness resulted in him sacrificing his comrades and raping caska out of pettiness. Sure he'a developed after the fact but no-one that truly cared does the actions he did.

He loved them. All of them. Especially Guts and Caska. The manga spells that out. Him raping Caska isn't out of pettiness, it serves his plan against Godhand, since Femto was just a stepping stone and his rebirth could only be achieved through Caska. He lost his shit because to him, Guts leaving behind the Taka no Dan meant to lose Guts forever, obviously it was also about control, but that doesn't mean Griffith didn't have real feelings for Guts. It's an abusive love, but love nonetheless. Otherwise the Taka no Dan would not have worked as a sacrifice. The God Hand spell that out pretty clearly.