• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
You mean the grind that Bungie willfully fucked with to make it take longer and longer between engrams in the hopes that people would say "fuck it" and spend real money? Yeah, so much better than having those items as fixed rare drops in specific activities to actually encourage people to play multiple aspects of the game instead of just grinding away at public events.

Did you even notice that cap before the Reddit post blew up there? I didn't. Because I was so busy deleting all the free ghosts I didn't like the rolls on

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
You didnt notice it because they intentionally rigged the system to ensure you wouldnt notice it.

I didn't notice it because I wasn't hurting for bright engrams or the stuff I wanted inside them, is my point. Not to say they didn't screw up, but so much of this is fake outrage and it's becoming detrimental to stuff like welcoming or helping new players, which should be more of a concern.

Oct 25, 2017
I think what I would most want, is for Luke Smith to do another AMA type video before release like he did with Wired or whatever. To me, back then at least, he seemed extremely confident and brave with the product they had. Unless it was just acting or something, but Bungie most have thought that they were on the right path, must have.

I don't think it's necessary or anything, but it'd give a great insight to what Bungie must have been thinking, cause to me, from release to right up till last week, their stance and vision have changed. Hopefully it's for the better too.

Like, I think they must have leading up to release thought they had all their shit in line, all this backlash comes at them unexpectedly, now they are (or were) in a frenzy to get Destiny back to what the majority of the fanbase enjoyed.

I'd like to know (Luke in particular) why the team made the choices that they did. I want to be explained the reason why, maybe then I can understand their situation more.

But as of now, I feel like Bungie are a tiny bit lost.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User was warned for a post for: Inappropriate behaviour towards another member.
Did you even notice that cap before the Reddit post blew up there? I didn't. Because I was so busy deleting all the free ghosts I didn't like the rolls on
Did you notice that you weren't getting shit experience for anything other than public events? Quality design mechanic there to funnel people away from crucible, raids, and strikes just so they can run from public even to public event in the hopes of getting a slot machine engram. Bungie noticed this and then gamed the system, got caught, and then just doubled the amount of XP needed to get an engram. Again, so much better than actually making these popular items memorable to receive by making them rewards for playing specific activities to get specific items.

I didn't notice it because I wasn't hurting for bright engrams or the stuff I wanted inside them, is my point. Not to say they didn't screw up, but so much of this is fake outrage and it's becoming detrimental to stuff like welcoming or helping new players, which should be more of a concern.

Ohhhhh the outage is "fake". Good to know. Shut up.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
i finished the main story tonight ------- okay, I don't mind that the campaign is short but I do mind that there are no new PvP modes or new modes in general that is say new new. Or new features.

so House of Wolves (the smallest D1 DLC) felt way bigger IMO and had more new elements added like Prisons of Elders, Assending (which later was replace with Infusing)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

If you're not going to acknowledge that the widespread criticisms and complaints across social media are valid, I can't see how you can continue to argue in good faith on this subject.

I'm not even half as upset about this situation as most, but if I didn't think many of these tens of thousands of people were genuine I'd just not participate in the discussion.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The assumption that posting about shitty business practices is mutually exclusive from helping new players is a logical fallacy and I have no idea how you made that leap.We can bring up shitty business practices and be receptive to helping new players quite easily. And fake outrage...lmao

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the grind that Bungie willfully fucked with to make it take longer and longer between engrams in the hopes that people would say "fuck it" and spend real money?
This is another thing that loot boxes fucking kill. Perfecting the grind.

There can never be a super cool trick or a great method to grind out loot boxes since that would eat into potential profits. Any quick method of grinding will be quickly patched out or extended. You must conform to the developer's allotted grind time for their loot boxes.

It's not something like Faction Rally where you can get a great trick going to maximize your grind gains. Faction Rallies rewards normal in-game stuff, so it's fair game, as any video game grind should be. But hoo boy, imagine if people discovered a Bright Engram grind that was as quick and effective as the Faction Rally grind in that one Lost Sector of the EDZ. That shit would be patched in twenty minutes.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I will be the first to admit I don't know the intricacies of making a game but like...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...udios_helping_bungie/?st=jaw572zk&sh=040baf17

Someone please explain this. We smaller companies creating more content than this for free (titanfall 2, Division, etc.).

I don't get it. What are they doing all day. Why does it seem like Bungie is some tiny indie dev who struggles to do anything. I legitimately, no concern trolling, do not understand.

They didn't even make the pyramidion strike. You know. The good one.

i finished the main story tonight ------- okay, I don't mind that the campaign is short but I do mind that there are no new PvP modes or new modes in general that is say new new. Or new features.

so House of Wolves (the smallest D1 DLC) felt way bigger IMO and had more new elements added like Prisons of Elders, Assending (which later was replace with Infusing)

Yeah, why are people saying this is the biggest of the three $20 DLCs again? HoW had much more to do and grind for.

Like I seriously thought this would be like HoW. That basically the infinite forest would be kind of like this DLC's version of the PoE concept, but this time we could patrol it essentially, and there would be bosses and things.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
User was warned for this post for: Calling out other members and dismissing their opinions
Did you notice that you weren't getting shit experience for anything other than public events? Quality design mechanic there to funnel people away from crucible, raids, and strikes just so they can run from public even to public event in the hopes of getting a slot machine engram. Bungie noticed this and then gamed the system, got caught, and then just doubled the amount of XP needed to get an engram. Again, so much better than actually making these popular items memorable to receive by making them rewards for playing specific activities to get specific items.

Ohhhhh the outage is "fake". Good to know. Shut up.

Yeah, the outrage is fake. Not the problems, but the response to those problems. Totally cool that you feel you can tell me to shut up when I refuse to validate it, too.

Did it not occur to you that in a game that lives or dies on players queuing into different activities it might have seemed reasonable in development to throttle predicted XP grind paths? We have no idea what the motives behind that decision were, but I never noticed it until the Reddit Outrage Machine span up.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth I think your memory might have slipped up a bit.

[..]

Although maybe what happened was 3 weeks in a row either the Weekly Heroic or the NF was the new strike, so you'd have been locked out of something each week.

Indeed, that should be the case. Anyway I was pretty bummed at the time. :-)

This time I expected pretty much all of it.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
If there is I'm not sure what it is. Overwatch loot boxes are fair game in Japan. As is Warframe platinum.

There's some weird stuff with Blizzard Games in Asia. Maybe Activision doesn't want to deal with credit card fees/verification, I don't know. But I can't buy things directly with my credit or debit cards in Taiwan; I have to use a weird third-party site, buy MyCard points at 7-11, or buy a Blizzard gift card. Last time I tried to use their third-party system, my bank flagged it as a high-risk transaction and froze my card. Had to call them to sort it out.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the outrage is fake. Not the problems, but the response to those problems. Totally cool that you feel you can tell me to shut up when I refuse to validate it, too.

Did it not occur to you that in a game that lives or dies on players queuing into different activities it might have seemed reasonable in development to throttle predicted XP grind paths? We have no idea what the motives behind that decision were, but I never noticed it until the Reddit Outrage Machine span up.

Wait.

You are simultaneously claiming the outrate over Bungie lying about a monetization based system is being faked, and also are defending the XP issue?

Are

Are you actually for real?

What?

And you're being disingenuous too. Everyone knows many games have XP scaling systems. That was never the issue.

There can never be a super cool trick or a great method to grind out loot boxes since that would eat into potential profits. Any quick method of grinding will be quickly patched out or extended. You must conform to the developer's allotted grind time for their loot boxes.

It's not something like Faction Rally where you can get a great trick going to maximize your grind gains. Faction Rallies rewards normal in-game stuff, so it's fair game, as any video game grind should be. But hoo boy, imagine if people discovered a Bright Engram grind that was as quick and effective as the Faction Rally grind in that one Lost Sector of the EDZ. That shit would be patched in twenty minutes.

Yup. Microtransaction stuff? Oh that's super easy to fix. In game stuff? Oh...oh it's just to haaaard guys.

Boy does Bungie make it hard to not just be super cynical.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I will be the first to admit I don't know the intricacies of making a game but like...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...udios_helping_bungie/?st=jaw572zk&sh=040baf17

Someone please explain this. We smaller companies creating more content than this for free (titanfall 2, Division, etc.).

I don't get it. What are they doing all day. Why does it seem like Bungie is some tiny indie dev who struggles to do anything. I legitimately, no concern trolling, do not understand.

That's like I said above about so many old weapons that came back and how many "samey" looking weapons and armor pieces there are. They don't just have a guy sitting in a room designing gear? They don't have anyone who has an idea for introduce a new enemy for fucking Destiny 2? Brand new game and were still fighting Vex, Hive, Cabal etc

I mean small companies seem to somehow manage more, how is this possible?

Something doesn't add up when it comes to some of these massive companies. They like you said put out work as if theyre some small basement indie company or something

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well that's been evident from day 1. Anything that affects Bungie's bottom line gets fixed immediately. Most anything that affects players negatively can wait. After about the third time I lost my raid tokens between the time I finished the raid and getting back to the tower, I just stopped caring. That was months ago. Still isn't fixed.

Oct 26, 2017
Bungie should fire the entire staff of play testers.
They can't be giving them a straight answer on what to improve with this game.

Hire me and you would have know well in advance that the game you made was going to cause a shit storm.

Bring back D1 features and play style to D2 and build upon that. Don't make us pay for crappy updates like this last CoO or have us use slot machines to get our gear. Fuck bright engrams.

Im truly Shocked how out of touch bungie are with their player base. Thanks for ruining the Destiny universe. I was such a fan of D1 and would love to have been spending my days in D2 but you guys sure don't want me to.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want to start some sort of "Bungie sux" or "Lazy devs" thing because again, I really don't actually know these things and I personally have met and talked with developers, and follow a bunch on twitter because I like learning about it.

But this just does not add up for me. I would love if someone with some insight could explain.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Skipping this expansion. Waiting until the next one or if they do a huge free update. Maybe if the December 12 update get some great responses. Don't like D2 as much as D1 at all. Going back into Division to test the new update there for now.
Hopefully Bungie manages to get Destiny 2 into a state where I want to play it more because I still love the gameplay and will probably play a PVP match or do some casual gaming now and then.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
Wait.

You are simultaneously claiming the outrate over Bungie lying about a monetization based system is being faked, and also are defending the XP issue?

Are

Are you actually for real?

What?

And you're being disingenuous too. Everyone knows many games have XP scaling systems. That was never the issue.

I'm saying literally nobody in my peer group reported having negative experiences with bright engrams until this came to light. The problem (communicating the cap) was real. The outrage (Luke Smith sold his soul to Activision and did this to force us to buy the only good loot in the game from Eververse, which you HAVE to buy with free money) is hyperbolic, overblown and yeah, definitely a bit fake. Just as the problem of the Infinite Forest being dull right now is real but the suggestion it should be free DLC (lol) is completely absurd and overblown.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
It's honestly to the point where these people are A. Lacking simple common sense of how people will react to things B. Slimey, shady as all get out to just prey on people's money or C. Just absolutely lazy, lazy beyond words

Because I don't see devs who truly care. I see devs who simply try to smooth things over and throw a small bone occasionally.

Let me put it this way...

Everquest has been going and has entertained people since March of 1999. I was there day 1 and that game as kept people grinding for almost 20 fucking years.. And destiny has people burning out in a matter of weeks in some cases?

Almost 20 years they've put out now expansions yearly and have kept dangling that carrot that keep people playing and grinding. It's always fun when I return.

But the point is that how can these guys not dig into the archives of mmos and grab some ideas and hone them into something that would excite people and keep them playing and wanting more?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's been evident from day 1. Anything that affects Bungie's bottom line gets fixed immediately. Most anything that affects players negatively can wait. After about the third time I lost my raid tokens between the time I finished the raid and getting back to the tower, I just stopped caring. That was months ago. Still isn't fixed.
I really wish they'd patch out these stupid cheeses in the raid. I've avoided any LFG posts that say they're cheesing but then last week I joined a team and we had already fought into the baths before they mentioned cheesing, so I figured whatever I'll just stay.

Most boring shit ever. Having no enemies to shoot is not fun. We were on normal, so the raid wasn't even hard, like, why?? Can we just play the game please???

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want to start some sort of "Bungie sux" or "Lazy devs" thing because again, I really don't actually know these things and I personally have met and talked with developers, and follow a bunch on twitter because I like learning about it.

But this just does not add up for me. I would love if someone with some insight could explain.
Do we know if the main people like Luke Smith work on the DLC? Like, when TTK was happening and released, I wonder if they were a part of that and them numerous improvements, or were on D2 and totally forget about that.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that will save this now in my honest opinion is if people stop playing/buying in large enough numbers to make them worried that their profits will drop. Its the only thing companies like this listen to.

Deleted member 18568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished what I assume is most of the current content (campaign, adventures, couple heroics and public events).

- Mercury is one of the laziest area designs I've seen in a modern shooter. The main arena is literally assets endlessly cut and pasted into a gate point shooter corridor. It's like an alpha version of a prototype or something.

- "that" new exotic beam gun has actually managed to ruin PVP even further. Like utterly broken it. I have the gun, and the minute I get one kill in PVP the entire other team just quits out for another game. The easy tokens are fun for now but they need to nerf this ASAP.

I don't really care about the Eververse stuff.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm saying literally nobody in my peer group reported having negative experiences with bright engrams until this came to light. The problem (communicating the cap) was real. The outrage (Luke Smith sold his soul to Activision and did this to force us to buy the only good loot in the game from Eververse, which you HAVE to buy with free money) is hyperbolic, overblown and yeah, definitely a bit fake. Just as the problem of the Infinite Forest being dull right now is real but the suggestion it should be free DLC (lol) is completely absurd and overblown.
The logic of these posts. So if someone was stealing money out of your bank account for months, and you didn' find out until much later your outrage would be fake because you didn' notice it? Like wut?

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
That's like I said above about so many old weapons that came back and how many "samey" looking weapons and armor pieces there are. They don't just have a guy sitting in a room designing gear? They don't have anyone who has an idea for introduce a new enemy for fucking Destiny 2? Brand new game and were still fighting Vex, Hive, Cabal etc

I mean small companies seem to somehow manage more, how is this possible?

Something doesn't add up when it comes to some of these massive companies. They like you said put out work as if theyre some small basement indie company or something

If I had to guess it's because project managing teams scales in complexity exponentially rather than linearly, which is why someone snuck KEK pepe hunter armor into a game series which had previously had input from someone as antithetical to that crowd as Anita Sarkeesian

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
The logic of these posts. So if someone was stealing money out of your bank account for months, and you didn' find out until much later your outrage would be fake because you didn' notice it? Like wut?
Not really a good analogy since nobody was stealing my hard earned GamerCoins™ in this situation and bright engrams have no fungible real world value

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that will save this now in my honest opinion is if people stop playing/buying in large enough numbers to make them worried that their profits will drop. Its the only thing companies like this listen to.
You can tell they're already worried about it, and it's most likely due to the huge drop-off in people logging in daily. Also doesn't help them that many popular Twitch streamers dropped Destiny 2 long ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh

I don't think that analogy fits here tbh

Personally I didn't care much about bright engrams, I got them when I got them and even when I did it was never that major

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, why are people saying this is the biggest of the three $20 DLCs again? HoW had much more to do and grind for.

Like I seriously thought this would be like HoW. That basically the infinite forest would be kind of like this DLC's version of the PoE concept, but this time we could patrol it essentially, and there would be bosses and things.

I'm looking for a reason to jump back into Destiny 2 after taking break for several weeks and Infinite Forest actually piqued my interest, thinking that it may be a new endless grind mode, I love playing and messing around in mode like PoE/CoO/AF in Destiny 1 even if their reward is useless.

From what I read/watch you can't even explore IF freely ? Also I watched Datto video, and he pointed out that Infinite Forest actually have potential to be the new Horde mode....

Welp, I guess I'll wait next year for The Token Queen expansion to jump back, hopefully they bundle it with the two lesser DLC.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Short campaign is a bless for people with 3 characters, I like it.
This expansion has been a major let down in just about every way but I actually don't get the "short campaign" complaint. It lasted me somewhere between two and two and a half hours, which I think is pretty fair imo and what I'd expect in a $20 Destiny expansion. The real letdown is that there's nothing to do after the campaign except fucking adventures.

I mean, Dark Below's campaign was twenty minutes and House of Wolves' was an hour. So two hours is pretty good if you ask me.

God, this story could have been so much more though. They dropped the ball with Osiris, fucking Osiris, come the hell on. The stakes never felt high at all since the story is so small and self-contained. Ugh.

So apparently Microsoft has had so many refunds they are now disallowing them

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...s_have_ended_on_xbox/?st=jaw6a2z2&sh=9928851e
Wow. That must have been a lot of refunds. Lmao.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can tell they're already worried about it, and it's most likely due to the huge drop-off in people logging in daily. Also doesn't help them that many popular Twitch streamers dropped Destiny 2 long ago.

Not worried enough to avoid stitching up their players and locking more content behind DLC

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
the underlying logic to your point was that if you didn't notice it it wasn't that bad. That's a flimsy line of thinking at best.

No, my point is I was getting a ton of free loot with the system as it was and was conciously impressed by how generous and improved it was compared to Destiny 1 (which is honestly how I feel most ways about the changes in Destiny 2)

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did yall notice Heroic events don't give as much Xp now. (9000 xp vs 6000 now.)
Or that new characters only need 80,000 xp for new bright engrams and after some arbitrary amount of level up you require 160,000 instead.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not worried enough to avoid stitching up their players and locking more content behind DLC
I have a feeling all of that was planned out many months before D2 even released. We're not going to see any changes to the core problems with the game until September at the earliest is my guess.

Did yall notice Heroic events don't give as much Xp now. (9000 xp vs 6000 now.)
Or that new characters only need 80,000 xp for new bright engrams and after some arbitrary amount of level up you require 160,000 instead.

I noticed this tonight when I did the 3 Heroic milestone and my XP bar didn't hardly budge during all 3 heroic strikes. And that's with the buff that is supposed to give you triple XP.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So, honest opinion please guys:

Is it worth 20 bucks?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmm

Actually okay serious answer, wait until the Raid lair. Right now it's looking like no, but if the new Lair is the tits then ehhhh sure if you really like Destiny 2. If it's bad then uh. That's a pretty fat no.

Too bad, the music and art is awesome.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
From what I read/watch you can't even explore IF freely ? Also I watched Datto video, and he pointed out that Infinite Forest actually have potential to be the new Horde mode...

Yeah. A lot of things have potential. But they haven't introduced any new game modes in ages and chopped old ones out entirely. I won't hold my breath. I'm expecting a Ranked mode to emerge around March next year to push with the next expansion. But it will be barebones af like everything else. That's all we can expect from a small struggling indie team of 700 people with two additional studios helping them.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This expansion has been a major let down in just about every way but I actually don't get the "short campaign" complaint. It lasted me somewhere between two and two and a half hours, which I think is pretty fair imo and what I'd expect in a $20 Destiny expansion. The real letdown is that there's nothing to do after the campaign except fucking adventures.

I mean, Dark Below's campaign was twenty minutes and House of Wolves' was an hour. So two hours is pretty good if you ask me.

God, this story could have been so much more though. They dropped the ball with Osiris, fucking Osiris, come the hell on. The stakes never felt high at all since the story is so small and self-contained. Ugh.

Wow. That must have been a lot of refunds. Lmao.
I actually liked the story, it wasn't amazing but I still consider it good, my only complaint is the same as you, we didn't get much on Osiris, he's still that mysterious character that he was before.

As for end game content, I'll reserve my judgment till the Raid Lair drops, I'm enjoying farming for the forge weapons for now.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, my point is I was getting a ton of free loot with the system as it was and was conciously impressed by how generous and improved it was compared to Destiny 1 (which is honestly how I feel most ways about the changes in Destiny 2)
So then what was the point you'e repeated several times now about no one noticing about? Because it sure read like you were saying the problem was real but since people didn't notice it it was fake outrage.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked the story, it wasn't amazing but I still consider it good, my only complaint is the same as you, we didn't get much on Osiris, he's still that mysterious character that he was before.

I'm glad you liked it, but I can't understand. It was over in the blink of an eye and felt like a throwaway episode of a TV show. A clip show, even.

I was especially confused towards the end when
Sagira said "I'm going to miss being your Ghost," and all I could think was "We met like an hour ago, lady. I don't know you."

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
So then what was the point you'e repeated several times now about no one noticing about? Because it sure read like you were saying the problem was real but since people didn't notice it it was fake outrage.

My whole point with that is that it's correct and problematic that Bungie had a system in place that was showing incorrect XP values. It's reasonable to flag that up! But since there was never a problem getting a lot of free bright engrams anyway it wasn't a significant issue for the most part. This seething anger isn't validated by the scale of the problem, it just toxifies the fandom and derails conversations, it's boring too.