• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
Reading all these comments I'm happy I decided to delete D2 despite me purchasing the whole package before it came out (yea you got me there Bungie) Solidifies my decision to finally leave Destiny behind. I wonder if Bungie can end up making it work in the end, I'll keep an eye out and MAYBE return someday since the expansions are already paid for (most likely won't)

deoee

Oct 25, 2017
Reading all these comments I'm happy I decided to delete D2 despite me purchasing the whole package before it came out (yea you got me there Bungie) Solidifies my decision to finally leave Destiny behind. I wonder if Bungie can end up making it work in the end, I'll keep an eye out and MAYBE return someday since the expansions are already paid for (most likely won't)

If you already own it you can play it.
It's fun to play despite all the shit it gets and the people in here and reddit would whine about everything, so don't take everything 100% seriously.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
usually I'm the type of person to win you back, tell you not to give up on destiny.....but I really can't this time, I really see myself going back to Elder Scrolls Online full time again in like....2 weeks? I have content over flow on that game just for paying $15 a month.

I really really want to love this game, but when you take away all the hooks of the first game.....I'm just....sad

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
What an insultingly terrible DLC. They added nothing to the lore, story was full of reused assets (Pyramidion lmao), you have to play infinite forest THREE times even tho you know it's garbage after the first run. What a joke.

juventino13

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart
It's fun to play despite all the shit it gets and the people in here and reddit would whine about everything, so don't take everything 100% seriously.
nah dude, I'll pass. I played the base game and didn't enjoy it at all. Reading the patch notes and reading the comments I have zero interest in returning. Maybe if the next expansion does something completely compelling to make me come back I will, but as it stands its still a pass for me, there are way too many games out there for me to focus on Destiny again. I appreciate the response though, thanks

Oct 25, 2017
...lol, they said you're going to the Pyramidion, it's not like they reused it and called it something else.
Ah sorry, I wasn't aware that saying I was going to the location meant they couldn't explore new parts of it...

Come on son, the building is god damn huge you think our guardian couldn't just stumble upon a new area or fall into a pit which brings us to a new area? Lol

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So much ignorance. Just because people are vocal about a dlc which actually is a rip off, doesnt mean they whine about everything.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
What an insultingly terrible DLC. They added nothing to the lore, story was full of reused assets (Pyramidion lmao), you have to play infinite forest THREE times even tho you know it's garbage after the first run. What a joke.

The worst of the travesties.

They took one of the most bad ass Guardians and turned him into a damsel in destress with just about the same amount of character development.

Spoilers, but the story amounts to we killed a thing and stopped the end of the world, without any of work needed to set up why you should care. It fucking SUCKS.

And look, the story / campaigns in these things are just shooting galleries to get you to mid-game and end game content. That's fine. But it's also why they have to be much better narratives and keep you invested in the story, characters, ect.

After TTK and to a lesser extent the Red War, they need to do much better than this.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt take too long for the Reddit to be filled with salt. LOL

Also how did Bungie not playtest the Prometheus Lens? What is going on there?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The lens is legit broken

They need to bring the damage in line with cold heart and drastically lower the AOE damage bubble

They should leave it alone for PvE though since I hear its not broken there bizarrely

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm now getting legit annoyed that most of the Exotics in this game are Exotics from D1. It's gotta be at least 30% of them now probably higher.

They had two legit reasons not to bring back old Exotics so they could create new exciting ones. All our stuff was blown up in the Tower and they had to cut off D1 so they could have a new foundation for D2 that wasn't bogged down by the issues of D1.

If they brought back D1 Exotics maybe after a year I would understand but with the launch of the game and new DLC, I don't get it.

Also the Osiris campaign was underwhelming and short even with the luxury of padding it out with two strikes. Sigh.... I guess this is Destiny now, pay 60 dollars for an underwhelming and half baked game then pay 80 dollars over the next year for them to get it to where it should've been at launch.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how the DLC overall has felt "meh" for me, more blown away by how nice a lot of the texture work and areas look now on X1X... Absolutely beautiful game.

treemonkeys

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Folks were comparing it to Frozen Wilds and other AAA DLCs. I think you are getting a decent amount of replayable content for the price, especially compared to other games. That said, if I did not buy it as part of the DE I would have waited until a later date to jump in. D2 has been a ghost town for the last month or so and the experience is not the same when not playing with friends.

You can compare it to Frozen Wilds or Witcher 3 DLCs (which are best case scenarios for value), what about the other side? People spending $20+ on one freaking skin in a lot of games. There's no standard for what amount of content a dollar is worth, and there's probably more variation on that now than there ever has been. Ultimately value is subjective and arguing about it is going to be silly. For the people who felt like they got ripped off, all they had to do is wait a day and a then they would have seen all these complaints. I really don't get the people who have to have something day 1 and then turn around and act like they got robbed.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The user was warned for this post. The "lazy devs" rhetoric is incredibly toxic and dismissive, and therefore is frowned upon here.
Let's just be honest with ourselves. All bullshit, formality and misguided respect aside.

Bungie is lazy. Period.

With as many talented people they have, and the sheer number of staff they have on hand, plus all the external help they receive, with as much money they've pulled in from game sales, DLC and microtransactions, along with promises of an improved toolkit and development process and with all of the feedback and outcry from over the years, there's just zero, absolutely ZERO excuse for there to be even more re-skins, missions taking place in existing areas (like in Destiny 1) and just the overall shallowness of everything. The art is nice. The environments look cool, but that's about it. It's funny because I didn't expect much and had very low expectations, yet I still end up unsatisfied. I guess I was hoping that maybe they'll exhibit a spark of inspiration and a sense of nuance and depth.

Nope. Instead, they do the bare minimum, knowing people like me will buy it. What a shame. So much potential, yet they seemingly just don't give a shit.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just be honest with ourselves. All bullshit, formality and misguided respect aside.

Bungie is lazy. Period.

With as many talented people they have, and the sheer number of staff they have on hand, plus all the external help they receive, with as much money they've pulled in from game sales, DLC and microtransactions, along with promises of an improved toolkit and development process and with all of the feedback and outcry from over the years, there's just zero, absolutely ZERO excuse for there to be even more re-skins, missions taking place in existing areas (like in Destiny 1) and just the overall shallowness of everything. The art is nice. The environments look cool, but that's about it. It's funny because I didn't expect much and had very low expectations, yet I still end up unsatisfied, hoping that maybe I'll exhibit a spark of inspiration and a sense of nuance and depth.

Nope. Instead, they do the bare minimum, knowing people like me will buy it. What a shame. So much potential, yet they seemingly just don't give a shit.

They might be too bloated

700 employees is likely too big

I bet the focus on a per individual level is broken in the workplace

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm now getting legit annoyed that most of the Exotics in this game are Exotics from D1. It's gotta be at least 30% of them now probably higher.

They had two legit reasons not to bring back old Exotics so they could create new exciting ones. All our stuff was blown up in the Tower and they had to cut off D1 so they could have a new foundation for D2 that wasn't bogged down by the issues of D1.

If they brought back D1 Exotics maybe after a year I would understand but with the launch of the game and new DLC, I don't get it.

Also the Osiris campaign was underwhelming and short even with the luxury of padding it out with two strikes. Sigh.... I guess this is Destiny now, pay 60 dollars for an underwhelming and half baked game then pay 80 dollars over the next year for them to get it to where it should've been at launch.

I have no issue with any of your statements on exotics, but I just want to note that the bolded approach has been Destiny from day one, not just "now."

As a new player to D2 I understand the gripes, but for me it's exciting to get stuff I missed in the first game.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like the floating platform Vex thing. It's a bunch of shit floating in the air, it feels like it's just the same platforms in different orders, I'm always thinking I'm going to fall off, and you never get a sense that you know where you are.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't, AFAIK.

You can still do events even if you are below the recommended level. It's just harder.

The only reason they can't THIS WEEK is because the Nightfall is a DLC strike. Wait for it to rotate to a vanilla strike, and they can do it.
That's weird, I did the Nightfall last night and it was the Inverted Spire.

Those same complaints will always come up, It feels like some people just like to complain about destiny, I feel the same way, I got my money's worth as well. I'm happy with it.

Ah that ridiculous defense of "Anyone who doesn't like what I like only does so because they enjoy complaining". Or perhaps its because many people had the bar set much higher because of how good Destiny 1 was and they're incredibly disappointed by what a huge drop-off D2 has been so far.

Oct 27, 2017

Bungie is lazy. Period.

With as many talented people they have, and the sheer number of staff they have on hand, plus all the external help they receive, with as much money they've pulled in from game sales, DLC and microtransactions, along with promises of an improved toolkit and development process and with all of the feedback and outcry from over the years, there's just zero, absolutely ZERO excuse for there to be even more re-skins, missions taking place in existing areas (like in Destiny 1) and just the overall shallowness of everything. The art is nice. The environments look cool, but that's about it. It's funny because I didn't expect much and had very low expectations, yet I still end up unsatisfied. I guess I was hoping that maybe they'll exhibit a spark of inspiration and a sense of nuance and depth.

I think you're right.

Especially in a year where a game made by a gargantuan studio (AC: Origins) is overflowing with unique art.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

They had two legit reasons not to bring back old Exotics so they could create new exciting ones. All our stuff was blown up in the Tower and they had to cut off D1.
ahhhhh but some of the exotics were stored in the vaults at the Reef and the Iron Temple
So....you know excuses.

My biggest problem with the DLC is that damn ending
Goes from what I assume is this bad ass, to this elderly old man....should have never taken off that mask. Also he just fucks off to go play another game probably. Listen buddy, I was just in the infinite forest for the last 2 hours, it's nothing special, you're better off giving us some help in the Tower

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issue with any of your statements on exotics, but I just want to note that the bolded approach has been Destiny from day one, not just "now."

As a new player to D2 I understand the gripes, but for me it's exciting to get stuff I missed in the first game.

You're not wrong about that part, as someone who played D1 from launch I just accepted that as D1 having development issues and it'll get ironed out in D2.

Shame on me for thinking that way cause here we are again in D2 and the same thing is going to happen. This is DLC 1 after all the feedback and criticism they've had for 3 years, this is it? I'm legit shocked.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The auto rifle you can get as a story quest reward (the pick one between auto, scout, hand cannon) about mid way through the campaign is insane!

Godly accurate and armor piercing rounds.

treemonkeys

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what's the consensus on the dlc? Is it bad?

I think if you already enjoy Destiny 2 and thought the content in like The Dark Below was worth it, you will like it. If you don't like Destiny 2 this will not make you like it, if you thought previous DLCs were a rip off you will think this is a rip off.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Mixed bag basically

Though its kind of still evolving over time. We still have several sizable updates incoming leading into January

Raid Lair and Dec12 updates plus hotfixes will likely be the last batch before holiday break for Bungie then more shit in January

That said there is cool shit mixed with a lot of missed opportunities with the content

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the new areas are beautiful, highly polished, with tight, fun gameplay. This was not made by lazy people. The corporate heads might be charging too much for the product of their labor than YOU would like, but they are NOT lazy.

Do you work for them or something? This dLC is blatantly lazy. Dont know what your agenda is but the statement he made about this being a lazy dLC is a fact. Dont know what your agenda is but its blinded you mate.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
All the new areas are beautiful, highly polished, with tight, fun gameplay. This was not made by lazy people. The corporate heads might be charging too much for the product of their labor than YOU would like, but they are NOT lazy.

I'm not saying individual employees are lazy. As a collective however, they are. That or just poorly managed. Companies with less talent, the fraction of their size, with far less money, create more ambitious, more engaging content with far more variety. I seriously want to know what their problem is.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Are there any reviews out? I am looking for a simple pros and cons list for the DLC. I'm hearing a ton of negativity, but am having a hard time sifting through it to understand what the actual issues are.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't think the problem is the DLC....the problem is things that can't be fixed with DLC, but with the way the game works fundamentally.

The problems still persist, we are getting masterworks next week, that is something to work towards as far as new guns, but we need more end game, that can be done I believe with more weapons, and what can they do when they can't give us more weapons? Get creative, give us legendaries with random perks, but they don't want to go back to that because as they said in their podcast "it's too much work"

Edit: The cut scenes as usual were beautiful in the DLC though, i'll give them that.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you work for them or something? This dLC is blatantly lazy. Dont know what your agenda is but the statement he made about this being a lazy dLC is a fact. Dont know what your agenda is but its blinded you mate.
It's hard to disagree when an entire mission of the DLC is literally just running through an old strike area.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying individual employees are lazy. As a collective however, they are. That or just poorly managed. Companies with less talent, the fraction of their size, with far less money, create more ambitious, more engaging content with far more variety. I seriously want to know what their problem is.
Listening to their most recent podcast left me with an overwhelming feeling that they have no idea what they're doing.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
At worst it will be the same as Crota.
I actually liked Crota.... a lot
That was probably helped by the epicness of the music when someone picked up the sword and the chance to get exotics at deathsinger and all the new legendary weapons.

(Can't do that this time around because they gave away all the exotics pretty much in the first 3 months)

treemonkeys

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No I don't work for them, and I've had my share of complaints about this game. Even in this thread. I don't think it's ethical how they lock out players from content unless they purchase DLC. I think they have become too greedy, or maybe they are too inefficient. I don't think lazy means what you think it means.

The word you are looking for is greedy, or inefficient, not lazy. Unless you actually think Bungie is letting their employees sleep on the job and whip up this DLC in their spare time.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Don't use a shit argument, it's lazy.

There's issues and we can discuss them. Calling devs lazy just invalidates anything you have to say from the start.

Zereta

Oct 26, 2017

Bungie is lazy. Period.

To insinuate that they only release the bare amount of content because they assume people will just buy it?
To say that they seemingly "just don't give a shit." You know, because they've spent the last 10 years working, trying to figure this concept out, reacting to fans, taking shit, working anyway, trying to build this out clearly means they don't care.

But yes, Bungie is lazy. Clearly. That's why human beings that work there go into work everyday. To tickle their buttholes while they see the dollar signs going up. Death threats, attack on their character and morals? Pssssh they getting the monies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being critical of a video game: we need to be. I've been extremely critical of Bungie, 343 Industries, DICE and other developers whose games I love. Because I know they are listening. I see them respond on Twitter, respond with patches, blog posts. But also because I know that they also want the game they are working on to be loved. No one puts in effort into anything just cause. Particularly in a space as gruelling as game development. If a game doesn't fit what I want it to be, Halo 5 comes to mind here for me, I respectfully share my criticism as to why its not working for me and then I... stop playing. It's not worth the frustration, the anger for me. And it's an indicator to the studio that perhaps the design decision they made isn't reflective of what the player base, providing them another metric to bring back in and try to fix.

But to level baseless accusations at a group of people doing a thankless job (Because lets face it, making games for the gaming communities we have now? Completely, utterly thankless).

Share your criticisms, vote with your time and effort. But remember that these developers are humans.

Geez.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Not even done with the campaign yet but I'm seeing a pattern here.

"Guardian, we need you to leave Mercury and go replay an old strike on another planet."
"Oh whoops lol the thing we need is back on Mercury. My bad."

Goronmon

Nov 9, 2017
Honestly, bite the bullet Bungie and just make Destiny 3 an MMO. It seriously needs that structure to stay relevant because it is clear they just can't keep this structure up and justify the price tag of DLC with so little content coming to it. At least with an MMO structure what we got with Osiris would be a patch like 7.1 or something from WoW.

I'm entirely convinced Bungie is incapable of generating enough content to make a viable MMO out of Destiny. I don't think throwing money at Bungie is going to make their anemic content creation progress much faster.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't use a shit argument, it's lazy.

There's issues and we can discuss them. Calling devs lazy just invalidates anything you have to say from the start.

I havent called the devs lazy. I dont know a single one personally. Its a lazy dLC. Fact. If any argument here is 'shit', its yours.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No I don't work for them, and I've had my share of complaints about this game. Even in this thread. I don't think it's ethical how they lock out players from content unless they purchase DLC. I think they have become too greedy, or maybe they are too inefficient. I don't think lazy means what you think it means.

The word you are looking for is greedy, or inefficient, not lazy. Unless you actually think Bungie is letting their employees sleep on the job and whip up this DLC in their spare time.

Not trying to defend him, but moreso trying to view from his perspective, I think he sees lazy as the apt term as they reuse old content to pad out and charge people as if it's new content. Think of it this way. You're using portions of your old essay on your new essay assignment and calling it new. It is a tad bit disingenuous.