OP
OP
Lady Dimitrescu
Nov 8, 2018
It's a feature for mods to further highlight posts that they (or users who nominate the post using the report button, oddly enough) think are representative of the best the community has to offer. Besides the visual cue, your post also gets added to the highlighted posts found on the home page.

IMG-4023.png

Thank youuuuuuuu. That is a fantastic explanation. 😁

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Really kind and generous offer - I may well take you up on it, particularly as with my job I sometimes have to talk to students going through a variety of issues and - although I remind myself constantly to listen and not put myself into what they are saying - there are times that I feel like I'm guessing at what good advice is. We're about to go on summer hols so it might not be until September.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
quite the selfless offer, and i hope the interactions are nothing but positive and enriching! having someone offer information and a non-judgemental forum for these kinds of conversations is invaluable.

it took me too long to realize i was parroting a lot of ignorant beliefs bestowed upon me by my family and community, let alone before i realized i was trans myself, and i don't doubt that if i had access to information and a patient teacher that i would have been able to bypass a lot of that painful time.

and even just as an avenue for someone who's cis but wants to simply learn more or become a better ally, this kind of offer is incredibly kind and i hope you appreciate how hard doing this kind of thing can be!!

I like to think I have some awareness and openness - but recognise that
1) me thinking it doesn't make it real
2) its surface level at best as I don't have lived experience or anything other than second hand information

I do try and recognise as the topic gets more specific in an area that I'm out of my depth and just back off (a lot of people could do well to do the same honestly) but having somewhere to go to discuss that specific point and help me understand would be a really valuable thing - thanks OP

Mar 17, 2024
The entire queer community on Era:

giphy-5.gif

Cannot even begin to imagine. Wish none of this was even necessary, but every little step in cis folks understanding is a good one. Didn't understand some things myself when queer people became more visible at first, but being more sensitive and toning down one's ego helped me to do so. I really applaud your effort.

OP
OP
Lady Dimitrescu
Nov 8, 2018
Cannot even begin to imagine. Wish none of this was even necessary, but every little step in cis folks understanding is a good one. Didn't understand some things myself when queer people became more visible at first, but being more sensitive and toning down one's ego helped me to do so. I really applaud your effort.

It's something I do on a voluntary basis but I extend my education and advocacy to neurodivergencies, disabilities, Anti-Colonialism and anti-capitalisim. As I'm partially deaf, neurodivergent, anti-racist and an anti-capitalist I at least teach about disability and being neurodivergent, while supporting and amplifying indigenous and non-caucasian voices without stepping over them, but as a white woman I come from a way of privilege living in a country built on the blood caused by colonisation, and I am forever on a journey of self improvement when it comes to Anti-racisim and Anti-Colonialism. A journey that will continue until my dying breath.

I think if I can get through just to one person on any of the topics I have first hand experience in then I have done at least something.

Mar 17, 2024
It's something I do on a voluntary basis but I extend my education and advocacy to neurodivergencies, disabilities, Anti-Colonialism and anti-capitalisim. As I'm partially deaf, neurodivergent, anti-racist and an anti-capitalist I at least teach about disability and being neurodivergent, while supporting and amplifying indigenous and non-caucasian voices without stepping over them, but as a white woman I come from a way of privilege living in a country built on the blood caused by colonisation, and I am forever on a journey of self improvement when it comes to Anti-racisim and Anti-Colonialism. A journey that will continue until my dying breath.

I think if I can get through just to one person on any of the topics I have first hand experience in then I have done at least something.

Yeah, I think intersectionality is important. There's a lot of overlap in the injustices around us, and they impact also the apathetic without them even realizing it. And there's indeed no end to personal growth or education I think. It's always good to be humble. Heck, even making mistakes is a part of the learning process. It's never too late to change one's mind, to listen, to give up prejudices based on cultural norms for example, and to accept fellow human beings - as they are. 👍

OP
OP
Lady Dimitrescu
Nov 8, 2018
Yeah, I think intersectionality is important. There's a lot of overlap in the injustices around us, and they impact also the apathetic without them even realizing it. And there's indeed no end to personal growth or education I think. It's always good to be humble. Heck, even making mistakes is a part of the learning process. It's never too late to change one's mind, to listen, to give up prejudices based on cultural norms for example, and to accept fellow human beings - as they are. 👍

Indeed and allies need to know they're not going to be born the perfect ally, they are born into a system that benefits them and rewards them for loyalty. And breaking completely free is difficult, and admitting that one isn't perfect should be encouraged, they shouldn't shy away from that, because admitting faults is the first step towards bettering oneself to become an greater ally.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's a feature for mods to further highlight posts that they (or users who nominate the post using the report button, oddly enough) think are representative of the best the community has to offer. Besides the visual cue, your post also gets added to the highlighted posts found on the home page.

IMG-4023.png

Ah i didn't know there was a section for these posts specifically. That's cool. Thanks!

JohnDusk

Oct 24, 2018
You absolutely rock, OP! Initiatives like this don't only help the trans community but also society in general. I'm saying this as a cis (privileged af) man. You had no obligation to do it but it's great that you do. Thanks and congrats!

OP
OP
Lady Dimitrescu
Nov 8, 2018
Actually this will be my last bump on this thread to remind those with questions to ask them, for those in the closet to feel safe to speak with me. You are loved regardless.