T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Hi there, I'm a Trans Woman. My voluntary job is as a consultant on Trans and Non-Binary issues. I have noticed a lot of Era members can be dismissive or not understand Genderqueer people. This isn't to say everyone here is I know how sensitive cis people can be when someone says anything that makes them think they're being accused of anything. Or there may be many here in fact harbouring closeted instincts about their own gender identity.

I want to publicly extend my DMs to:

1) Those willing to learn and understand and ask questions that may even seem insulting or stupid to ask in private. I will not however be answering questions in this thread. The Genderqueer are not up for debate, whereas I can have a one on one conversation and educate. This includes being able to provide a thought exercise on what it can be like to be genderqueer.
2) Speak to those questioning (which is healthy to do) or in the closet
3) Give advice to those who have recently come to a realisation and need someone to speak to.

Rules, be kind, be respectful. Have love in your heart and the ability to change your mind.

I would like to state that as an intersectional minority this isn't my responsibility to educate people. I'm doing this out of the need to educate, as cis people tend to think they know what they're talking about with trans people can can sometimes be so off the mark it hurts.

Will I regret this? Probably. I can always just leave the forum if it gets overwhelming πŸ˜…

PS: Remember its DMs open, I won't be responding to stuff on here. When its public it becomes a debate, one to one it becomes a conversation.

Highlighted

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Great thread my friend, I'll go and say I'm willing to put myself in the same position if people need information about trans stuff~
Like she said we're under no obligation to do this but it's something we want to do to better life for everyone.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here
im fortunate enough to talk to ppl already about such things, helped greatly over the last 5 years or so (when I finally can out to my dad), but it still a very nice an comforting offer to make to folks regardless

Rinku_

May 4, 2023
I wish you all the best with this!

As someone who is cis, I've thought it better to keep myself out of the discussion in the sense I'd rather listen to what trans people have to say than insert any of my own thoughts, in the same way I'd hope people would allow me to centre myself as a minority in a different respect. Idk if that is the best way to be an ally but I'm a pretty non-confrontational person haha.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck. An opportunity many should take given how important it is to talk with people who are professionally trained to do it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Something that has always worried me a bit regarding this conversation is the unwillingness of some to actually talk to people to help them understand and respect those who are gay, trans, whatever have you. I was, at one point in my life, someone who was incredibly dismissive of the whole thing and was at points downright hostile about it. I don't like admitting it, but it's the truth. I had a couple of people who really took the time to actually talk about it with me and helped me come to an understanding and acceptance to it. I can't thank them enough, and I do wish that there was a little less hostility and more willingness to have those kinds of conversations.

I know, they're difficult and some people won't be changed, some people will be assholes about it. But I think these conversations as a whole are invaluable. I hope this can stay open and I hope that you're able to help people accept others and possibly themselves.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I was, at one point in my life, someone who was incredibly dismissive of the whole thing and was at points downright hostile about it. I don't like admitting it, but it's the truth.
I was the same way, a long time ago. I told all the usual bad homophobic jokes. I never talked to anyone about it, but eventually figured it out on my own that hey... that's me. Took a long time.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You should consider posting this in the trans community thread also because there may be people who frequent that space that don't feel comfortable asking some questions there as well.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Ive always wondered what the word cis means?
Latin for "on this side of". As opposed to trans which is latin for "across from".

So if you see something that begins with the "trans" prefix, (i.e. transatlantic, or "across the Atlantic") you can make the opposite meaning by changing it to a cis prefix (i.e. cisatlantic, or "this side of the Atlantic").

theTVglow

May 6, 2024
quite the selfless offer, and i hope the interactions are nothing but positive and enriching! having someone offer information and a non-judgemental forum for these kinds of conversations is invaluable.

it took me too long to realize i was parroting a lot of ignorant beliefs bestowed upon me by my family and community, let alone before i realized i was trans myself, and i don't doubt that if i had access to information and a patient teacher that i would have been able to bypass a lot of that painful time.

and even just as an avenue for someone who's cis but wants to simply learn more or become a better ally, this kind of offer is incredibly kind and i hope you appreciate how hard doing this kind of thing can be!!

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
quite the selfless offer, and i hope the interactions are nothing but positive and enriching! having someone offer information and a non-judgemental forum for these kinds of conversations is invaluable.

it took me too long to realize i was parroting a lot of ignorant beliefs bestowed upon me by my family and community, let alone before i realized i was trans myself, and i don't doubt that if i had access to information and a patient teacher that i would have been able to bypass a lot of that painful time.

and even just as an avenue for someone who's cis but wants to simply learn more or become a better ally, this kind of offer is incredibly kind and i hope you appreciate how hard doing this kind of thing can be!!
*positive affirmation that could be perceived as a spoiler for a movie*

Last edited:

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
You should consider posting this in the trans community thread also because there may be people who frequent that space that don't feel comfortable asking some questions there as well.
I searched but I'm not sure which thread you mean, can you link it please? Sorry but I've been using Trending for so long I don't know the tools very well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Good initiative, I hope some people take advantage of it πŸ’«

*positive affirmation that could be perceived as a spoiler for a movie*
I really hope this isn't a spoiler or smth πŸ™ I've been ignoring threads on it until it releases here on the 26th, it's been a stupidly long wait to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Good initiative, I hope some people take advantage of it πŸ’«

I really hope this isn't a spoiler or smth πŸ™ I've been ignoring threads on it until it releases here on the 26th, it's been a stupidly long wait to see it.
The film is very open to interpretation, and I don't think my post speaks to events in the plot. I'm being intentionally vague here. I had no idea the UK was still stuck waiting, but I'll edit it all the same.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The film is very open to interpretation, and I don't think my post speaks to events in the plot. I'm being intentionally vague here. I had no idea the UK was still stuck waiting, but I'll edit it all the same.
It's cool just wanted to check, sorry to be a pain. You know how few trans films we get and it's annoying having to wait months to finally see it bc of things like this. Have it booked with a friend and excited to see it largely blind beyond the trailer and the praise.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks for all the fighting you do T002 T. 🫑

It's sad but noble when you gotta take up the flag and "play mom" by answering an exhausting amount of questions, but for a greater reason.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, OP. Hope this can help people learn more so they treat us with more dignity. Or at least have fewer excuses not to.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I wasn't able to u der stand the whole topic until my uncle visited and was now my aunt. She needed decades to feel free enough to tell us. It's always good to learn. Thanks OP.

Jan 13, 2020
Thank you for the generous offer, OP. I am thankful for a resource to learn how to usefully support my neighbors and friends.

I hope to be an ally for fellow humans who happen not to share my CIS female identity.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This is a tremendous offer on OP's part.

I was never against/uncomfortable/biased against trans people, but I've come to realize how simply "being okay with" their existence isn't enough. I was fortunate to meet a trans man who bravely disclosed his journey to me and was open and honest about the struggles he had faced his entire life and it completely shifted my views and my understanding of the trans experience into a more proactive/activist mentality. It's really not until you meet someone who's gone through it that you can really understand, empathize and advocate.

I hope people who find themselves with questions (even 'dumb ones') take advantage of this generosity.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Power to you, OP.

I'm a really simple person. Just let people live their fucking lives. Really isn't difficult.

hungryheart

Jun 10, 2024
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah good for you doing this OP.!
I've been the person explaining all this sort of thing and being the one people questioning reach out to alot and it can be so so rewarding but obviously can be a stress and sometimes not go the best, hope it all goes ok for you (I would offer the same thing but I'm new here so not too sure about doing that/if it'd be taken up.

I work(ed) alot in helping run trans spaces in a big city for queer people in the UK and have dealt with... alot in my 7 years but back like early 2017 I'll fully admit to being someone who wasn't anti-trans or anything I just had... no idea about any of it bar a few representations in media, took me meeting first 1, then 2 then dozens of trans people in my city to learn and god I made mistakes at first (never be confused about the difference between femme and drag (godamnit it past me)) but I asked questions to the right people who were willing to answer them and now I'm 4 1/2 years on hormones and I wouldn't change it for the world so from that perspective this sort of thing is very useful (as is educating people who are genuinely curiousto know/understand more) <3

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
wait what's the difference that the op post is highlighted? does it show up somewhere else? it's already the op so... it's already of note πŸ€” i don't understand πŸ€”

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
wait what's the difference that the op post is highlighted? does it show up somewhere else? it's already the op so... it's already of note πŸ€” i don't understand πŸ€”

Guess what, I don't understand either 😝

I have no idea what happens when mods highlight my post, I thought at first when I got the notification it had gotten pinned (which I don't mind). But I honestly have no idea what highlighting does πŸ˜…

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California

Guess what, I don't understand either 😝

I have no idea what happens when mods highlight my post, I thought at first when I got the notification it had gotten pinned (which I don't mind). But I honestly have no idea what highlighting does πŸ˜…
It's a feature for mods to further highlight posts that they (or users who nominate the post using the report button, oddly enough) think are representative of the best the community has to offer. Besides the visual cue, your post also gets added to the highlighted posts found on the home page.

IMG-4023.png