Status
Not open for further replies.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
He set out the expectation of working for 65 days on a season. Then worked 50 days on half a season. I can imagine where he thought: well, you used up the other 50 days already, here's a week. And it makes sense.

Does make me wonder who decided to leak this and why.

65 - 50 = 15 days though. I get if he was like "you only get two more weeks" but one week is still a reduction from the original agreement.

Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022
I remember learning about Taylor Sheridan being a wannabe actor that kind of flamed out. Now look at him. Wow.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sources tell Deadline that Costner, who had originally limited himself to 65 days of shooting on Yellowstone, only wanted to shoot for 50 days for the first part of the current season.

But for the second batch of episodes of the current, fifth season of Yellowstone, the actor, who just won best television actor in a drama series at the Golden Globes, only wanted to spend a week shooting.

Given that Costner plays John Dutton, the patriarch of the Dutton clan, this has been a source of frustration for Sheridan and it is understood to be causing morale problems for the other stars of the show, which includes Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley, Cole Hauser, Kelsey Asbille and Gil Birmingham.

We are told Paramount Network has declined Costner's most recent proposal and instead has made the decision to move on to the other show, sources said.

Wow, way to go, Kevin. You still got the same fucking ego that sunk your career after Waterworld (pun intended)

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a good franchise, or just a mega-popular franchise?

Very anecdotal, but looking at myself and the comments from friends and acquaintances watching the main Yellowstone show, it's a good guilty pleasure, essentially a high-budget soap opera. 1883 is genuinely fantastic though regardless of how you spin it, and I haven't seen 1923 yet.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sources tell Deadline that Costner, who had originally limited himself to 65 days of shooting on Yellowstone, only wanted to shoot for 50 days for the first part of the current season.

But for the second batch of episodes of the current, fifth season of Yellowstone, the actor, who just won best television actor in a drama series at the Golden Globes, only wanted to spend a week shooting.

Given that Costner plays John Dutton, the patriarch of the Dutton clan, this has been a source of frustration for Sheridan and it is understood to be causing morale problems for the other stars of the show, which includes Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley, Cole Hauser, Kelsey Asbille and Gil Birmingham.

We are told Paramount Network has declined Costner's most recent proposal and instead has made the decision to move on to the other show, sources said.

Kevin Costner seems to have sadly fallen with a case of "I'm too old for this shit."

I watched two seasons and it's an okay time-waster.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, kinda burrying the lead regarding Koster's working relationship with the production:
Still seems like some asshole shit.

He set out the expectation of working for 65 days on a season. Then worked 50 days on half a season. I can imagine where he thought: well, you used up the other 50 days already, here's a week. And it makes sense.

Does make me wonder who decided to leak this and why.
No it doesnt make sense, 65 -50 is 15 days left . Even going by the 50 days for the first part, production still thinks they have him 15 days to shoot part 2. They probably worked everyone's shooting schedule around that. For him to come back and say, "nah, lets do all this in a week" is shitty.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Something I've always wondered, is Yellowstone like a conservative/MAGA show? Like, is it loaded with right wing themes and stuff?

Every time I see commercials for it over the years I just think "this show looks like it was focus tested in a lab to appeal to Fox News watching MAGA hats."

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Yellowstone was building towards a pretty natural conclusion? They're on the 5th season, and they even broke it into two parts.

Without any spoilers, the stakes have escalated so much that it feels like something they could wrap to a satisfying end in six episodes or so.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
At this point with the main series(Yellowstone), it's just mega popular. The writing has been shitty for the last 2ish seasons imo, it started off kinda good though. Hopefully with Matthew coming in, they can right the ship. Especially the stuff with the kids, specifically Beth/Jamie.*

I've only watched up to episode 3 of the current season. So idk if some of that is being resolved now.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Looking forward to seeing you next week Kevin for even more filming!

ExaltedDiligentEgg-size_restricted.gif

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
this seems like a bad idea? I know my mom is only interested in the show because Kevin Costner is in it. She stopped watching because she was reading rumors his character dies at the end of the season. LOL I think they might learn just how much more weight his name pulls vs. Yellowstone's...

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a great anecdote about Kevin Costner told on the Team Deakins Podcast by producer David Valdes, who is a longtime producer of Clint Eastwood's films. Clint Eastwood directed and starred with Costner in A Perfect World.

Eastwood is well known for his efficiency in shooting, moving extremely fast with few takes, just getting what he knows he needs shot since he already knows the edit in his head. Eastwood was directing a scene where the escaped convict played by Costner steals some clothes off a clothesline, and the farmer working the field is supposed to stand up on the tractor and spot him.

Well, the farmer wasn't hitting the timing to Costner's liking, and Costner took it upon himself to go around Eastwood and start directing the farmer for how and when to perform his role, in shots Eastwood knew the timing didn't matter because they were going to do a cutaway of the farmer's reaction anyways. The old man playing the farmer couldn't get the timing as Costner wanted it and Costner got frustrated and said he was going to his trailer, and to get him when they straighten it out. When Costner left the set, Eastwood turned to Costner's stunt double Norm and said "You're up."

They continued shooting the entire scene with the stunt double, shooting absolutely everything they could that didn't need Costner's face in the shot, which ended up being everything but one last closeup that had to be Costner. He eventually came back to set and said "What's going on here?" and Eastwood said "If you want to make a movie, step in and make a movie." They shot the one closeup and Eastwood said "Okay you're wrapped for the day, we can shoot the rest with Norm."

Last edited:

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
Man, if Yellowstone gets cancelled, Chick-fil-A will fly their flags at half-staff for weeks

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
There's a great anecdote about Kevin Costner told on the Team Deakins Podcast by producer David Valdes, who is a longtime producer of Clint Eastwood's films. Clint Eastwood directed and starred with Costner in the A Perfect World.

Eastwood is well known for his efficiency in shooting, moving extremely fast with few takes, just getting what he knows he needs shot since he already knows the edit in his head. Eastwood was directing a scene where the escaped convict played by Costner steals some clothes of a clothesline, and the farmer working the field is supposed to stand up on the tractor and spot him.

Well, the farmer wasn't hitting the timing to Costner's liking, and Costner took it upon himself to go around Eastwood and start directing the farmer for how and when to perform his role, in shots Eastwood knew the timing didn't matter because they were going to do a cutaway of the farmer's reaction anyways. The old man playing the farmer couldn't get the timing as Costner wanted it and Costner got frustrated and said he's going to his trailer and to get him when they straighten it out. When Costner left the set, Eastwood turned to Costner's stunt double Norm and said "You're up."

They continued shooting the entire scene with the stunt double, shooting absolutely everything they could that didn't need Costner's face in the shot, which ended up being everything but one last closeup that had to be Costner. He eventually came back to set and said "What's going on here?" and Eastwood said "If you want to make a movie, step in and make a movie." They shot the one closeup and Eastwood said "Okay you're wrapped for the day, we can shoot the rest with Norm."

Oof.

I do sometimes wonder how prominent directors/actors do on other sets and if they ever feel any burning need to backseat direct even if they never voice it.

Like was Affleck ever on the Batman or Justice League sets thinking "what the fuck is this guy doing?"

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to make a joke that they should make a Jellystone show instead, but apparently that's already a thing on HBO.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Something I've always wondered, is Yellowstone like a conservative/MAGA show? Like, is it loaded with right wing themes and stuff?

Every time I see commercials for it over the years I just think "this show looks like it was focus tested in a lab to appeal to Fox News watching MAGA hats."

It is not at all. Sheridan's stuff actually has a liberal lean, if anything, though it mostly doesn't touch on hot button issues.

This is a conservative wet dream show, but only because conservatives are typically rural and like rural things. There's nothing about it that would appeal to them ethically or morally any more than it would appeal to a liberal person.

For instance, last season they had the ranch deal with environmentalists. The show presented both sides and sort of left it open. It definitely didn't seek to misrepresent or put down the environmental cause. At least not in my mind.

I'm very, very liberal. So is my wife. We both love the show and haven't been offended by any aspect of it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It is not at all. Sheridan's stuff actually has a liberal lean, if anything, though it mostly doesn't touch on hot button issues.

This is a conservative wet dream show, but only because conservatives are typically rural and like rural things. There's nothing about it that would appeal to them ethically or morally any more than it would appeal to a liberal person.

For instance, last season they had the ranch deal with environmentalists. The show presented both sides and sort of left it open. It definitely didn't seek to misrepresent or put down the environmental cause. At least not in my mind.

I'm very, very liberal. So is my wife. We both love the show and haven't been offended by any aspect of it.
Does have a habit of treating said environmentalist as a whining strawman, but from a centrist angle of "don't be an asshole about your liberal ways then we can compromise" kind of way

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

I suppose the real measure, if the show is mostly apolitical, is how it handles its Native characters.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017

I live in Sweden so maybe I shouldn't comment, but the show's pretty good about it and goes out of its way to be respectful about the Native representation and storylines.

The big issue the show has is with its hard-on for frontier/renegade justice and how COOL it is, but it's a problem with anything Sheridan writes.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
There are already two spinoffs, lol

(1923 and 1883).

1923, with Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren, is legitimately good -- one reason being Harrison Ford's objectively better acting and charisma than Kevin Costner, who is the most wooden and limited "household name" actor I can think of. Another reason being: Helen Mirren.

Never really liked Yellowstone.

1883 is the top tier Yellowstone universe show.

1923 has been ok but last episode was laughable. Random ghost ship appearing for the 2nd time after being passed 10+ hours ago in the opposite direction? Puhlease!

Yellowstone had been a struggle from the get go for me (I watched 1883, first two episodes of 1923 then started binging Yellowstone). I actually lost interest during this season and let my subscription lapse. Just ridiculous story telling. I cannot stand Beth.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Have they learned nothing from south park? Just reduce Yellowstone to 2 episodes a season and do Yellowstone 2 on Paramount+.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Mistake was keeping John around for so long rather than let kayce grow. Also Jaime is so awfully utilized story wise.
1883 and 1923 were leagues better than the last couple seasons of Yellowstone. Can see where Taylor's passion really lie
I think 1923 so far is even better than Yellowstone first season and not just the latter. I quite enjoyed 1883 setting as well more.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Dang, they got Ford for one of the spin offs? Are these joints legit any good?

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
can i skip yellowstone and watch 1923/1899? i watched one season of yellowstone it was just OK but if people are saying the spinoffs are better might as well

yes
Start with 1899 though. It's hard enough keeping track of whose who in 1923
Both are damn good.
Also don't sleep on MGM+ "Billy the Kid".

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Bummed to hear rumors of Kevin Costner being (an) unreasonable (dick) for... reasons? I at least hope it's not health-related.
Anyway, this might also explain why the current season feels so... limited and devoid of any real energy.
Not wanting to work as much as the boss says is now being an unreasonable dick? Costner just has the power to do what most of wish we could. The man's 68 years old. He's earned the right to work when and for how long he wants.

Geez.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Damnit Jamie.. We all know its his fault. Hope Beth gets really pissy and kicks his ass again.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
if it's all Costner, I would still call it a blessing in disguise. show had good run, leave while you are still at top.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone talking about Coster but I am REALLY not seeing how they can possibly slide MM in there with the existing cast without it coming off incredibly forced?

I swear if they pull some "hey it's your long-lost cousin… that we have never once mentioned… also he owns the ranch now peace out"

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Even as a new found watcher up to Season 4, you can TELL the show is running on fumes. Especially from a writing standpoint. I saw somewhere Taylor Sheridan doesn't even have a writing room, like he does it by himself basically.

Dude is doing a million shows at the same time and it's very apparent in mainline Yellowstone. There are like a ton of edges that aren't fixed in the script and half the time characters you would think are important will be dropped for no reason. Beth in general has no growth lol

Her antagonistic relationship with Jamie got old fast. It would be fine if her and John showed moments resembling of self-doubt and the awful shit they done but we don't even get that.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Not wanting to work as much as the boss says is now being an unreasonable dick? Costner just has the power to do what most of wish we could. The man's 68 years old. He's earned the right to work when and for how long he wants.

Geez.

Not sure why you seem to be getting so worked up on his behalf. Perhaps I worded my post a bit too strongly, but TV and movie productions don't occur in a vacuum. Him renegging on stated working days (7 vs. 15 left for the season's part 2) will undoubtedly cause issues for the production all everyone that's involved in working on it. Especially considering that he's bailing to prioritize some other production, based on this limited rumor. If that's indeed the case, I think it's fair to be critical of his behavior.

anamika

May 18, 2018
200w.gif

Worst female protagonist I have ever seen on a TV show. The reason this show is bad is because it revolves around her and Sheridan thinking this is how one writes a strong female character.

As for Yellowstone? Good riddance. I wonder if they will end it with Beth killing that brother she likes to torture and become like queen of the ranch or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.