Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Opencritic: 73

IGN 7/10
Dead Island 2 is a hilarious gore-fest and a competent zombie-slaying adventure, but lacks creativity outside of its great sense of humor.

Eurogamer
A straightforwardly accomplished zombie action-RPG that doesn't quite make the most of its Californian setting.

PC Gamer 55/100
Dead Island 2 is hampered by dull design choices, repetitive combat, and a painfully weak story, with its only saving grace being its great performance on PC.

Game Informer 7.8/10
With Dead Island 2, Dambuster Studios asks little of the player – only that you enjoy a good excuse to kill zombies in increasingly gory ways for a weekend or two – and in doing so, it delivers on the promise of what this series is all about.

Gamespot 7/10
Dambuster Studios raises the dead in a vicious sequel long thought doomed.

Polygon
There's an overwhelming fakeness and irony to Dead Island 2 that, without any oppositional hope or sincerity, can eventually make the experience of playing it feel like kind of a downer, similar to the feeling you get after eating a load of junk food. My partner turned to me during one of my sessions late into the game and said it looked like I was on autopilot. Instead of meaningfully engaging with its systems, I was mindlessly pushing through the hordes in search of more complexity, or a satisfying narrative crescendo that never came. Dead Island 2's nostalgic charms can transport you back to a simpler time, but there's often a reason why you don't see old friends anymore.

Rock Paper Shotgun
Dead Island 2 doesn't pretend to be anything other than a daft, messy romp through undead LA, and this carefree, capricious attitude is precisely what makes it fun.

Wccftech 7.5/10
For being a game that has been in development hell for over ten years, Dead Island 2 turned out alright, thanks to the wacky atmosphere and characters, fun combat, and acceptable quest quality. All of these features, however, become progressively worse as the campaign proceeds, making the game nothing more than an acceptable experience that may not be worthy of its full price tag for those looking for something a bit more involving.

Push Square 7/10
In the end, though, Dead Island 2 is a refreshing surprise amid the 2023 release roster. It's a fun and simple zombie-slasher experience that may be let down by its uninspiring RPG elements and boring loot-cycle, but more than makes up for it with its killer setting, brutal melee combat, and stunning graphics. While we suspect some will be disappointed by the game's size after all these years, we found it utterly revitalising to find a AAA experience that respects your time, and more importantly doesn't overstay its welcome. In the day and age of 300-hour RPGs, it's nice to know that some games are here for a fun time, not a long time.

True Achievements 8/10
Was Dead Island 2 worth the wait? Hell yes! The sheer carnage you can cause on the streets of LA is marvellous to witness, and with Dambuster's attention to detail, uncovering hidden caches of weapons, meeting the colourful variety of survivors around the city, and hanging with friends is a ton of fun.

JamieDavey

Jun 4, 2020
England
GameWatcher has gone live with its review of Dead Island 2. 7/10.

"Dead Island 2's visceral combat can effortlessly pull you into the zone as you slash, shoot, and kick zombies while making sure they head into the afterlife with fewer limbs attached. A simple but effective upgrade system gives you the means to counter any foe, while its varied arsenal of melee and ranged weapons keeps things interesting for a good while.

Repetition inevitably sets in well before you roll credits, being reflected both in its uninspired mission objectives and how you eliminate opponents. Its disjointed and confused narrative doesn't do it any favors either, but, as long as you focus on slaying zombies, there's certainly fun to be had here."

Good / Bad Points:
+ Visceral combat
+ Varied arsenal
+ Simple and effective upgrade system
+ Gruesomely detailed gore
- Uninspired mission objectives
- Gets repetitive well before the end
- Disjointed, confused narrative
- Lacks unique boss fights

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
The fact that this game isn't a complete disaster is honestly a miracle. I was expecting way lower with how awful its development has been.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Im surprised a game that is the living definition of "developement hell" is getting 70+. This can be called a success for deep silver.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a simple, polished romp. Will definitely check it out if lands on a subscription service.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Very pleased with 7s for this game considering its past

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
This is kinda what I was expecting as it was never going to be a AAA game. Decent score given the past games and the development history with this one. Doesn't put me off though think I will pick it up eventually.

[edited to clarify what I meant, I was way too vague]

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
sounds like it'll be just fine then and knows what it's about. can't wait for a good sale

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much best case scenario. On one hand, it's good that it came out as decent as it did despite being in development for so long. On the other hand, it's mind boggling how such a long development could lead to essentially the exact same game again, but with an improved gore system.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
These are actually pretty strong reviews to me all things considered and something I might check out in a few months/later in the year when it's on sale.

Darryn

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
Honestly, there's nothing in this game that you haven't seen in a dozen other zombie games, but, it's goofy, looks fantastic, and the melee system feels satisfying. Gunplay is a huge missed opportunity, but it's a rock-solid experience and I adore its cheeky attitude.

It's a 75/100, but a GREAT 75/100.

View: https://youtu.be/R_VqVA4OL0s

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I gave it a 6/10. Enjoyed the combat, it looks nice and runs surprisingly well but the missions are so generic and copy-paste, it does get wearisome after 15 hours of playing. I would not recommend this at a full retail RRP, it's just way too thin for £50-60.

www.flickeringmyth.com

Dead Island 2 - Video Game Review

Shaun Munro reviews Dead Island 2… The original Dead Island didn’t set the world ablaze back in 2011 – with an emotional, unforgettable cinematic trailer cementing misaligned player expectations – but the zombie-themed action-RPG still sold well enough that a sequel was announced in 2014. Since...

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Still happy with my day 1 purchase.

Loved Dead Island so much that even just a prettier version of that is going to get a lot of playtime from me.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
crossplay would've made this an instant purchase.
Sad to see games releasing without crossplay nowadays.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
Called it.

in one moment i was thinking giving the game 8/10, but then i remember how tedious the beginning and level design was.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that we get more scores in the 6 and 7 range. 7 is still a good game.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Swimming in 7s

Can't wait to pick this up later in the year for like $30

Came in here to say almost exactly this. But hey, 7s is actually a bit better than I'd feared (given the development hell, I was thinking 5-6 across the board).

Not worth grabbing a full price when my backlog is as big as it is, but looking forward to a sale.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
7 was probably always the ceiling, so pretty surprised they hit it with the development hell. Will grab it on a sale at some point.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Still will get it at some point. I'm starting to form my own decisions and not live by reviews anymore honestly

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Literally the only thing I gave a shit about in these reviews is the PC performance and PC Gamer praised it. Let's fucking go, bring on Friday.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a simple platinum too - only two co-op trophies from what I can see.

www.powerpyx.com

Dead Island 2 Trophy List Revealed

Dead Island 2 Trophy List Revealed. Check out all 46 trophies & achievements for Dead Island 2 on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series and PC.

Anistona

Jan 11, 2023
Perfect, just what I am looking for. Dumb Fun... kinda what video games used to be.

Can't wait for Friday.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Maybe would try this if it wasn't Epic exclusive on PC. But anyhow, the 7/10 scores probably makes it not worth waiting for almost 10 years.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in it just because the dev said its about zombies and not just zombies as an accessory for HUMANS ARE THE REAL ZOMBIES AFTERALL

www.youtube.com

Dead Island 2 developer roasts Dying Light 2...

Dead Island 2 developer talks about Dying Light 2's flaws...This short is taken from my Dead Island 2 Developer interview with James Worrall, Creative Direct...

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I know this seemed like a bit of a long-running joke but do they ever try and explain the "Dead Island" thing, with it being set in LA?

Or are we just "Dead Island is not an island game but an open zombie thrasher" from now on?