Dec 2, 2017
You probably remember it well, the finale of The Sopranos, one of the greatest TV shows of all time. Airing on June 10, 2007, the man himself, Tony Soprano, and his family go out for a bite to eat. They're at a diner, surrounded by about a dozen or so patronsincluding one especially sketchy-looking character. "Don't Stop Believin'" blares in the background while the crew eats from a bowl of onion rings. Suddenly, as Meadow is about to walk in, Tony looks up, and... cut to black. End of show. Fans left to wonder, what the hell happened next?

The moment and the question has been contested among fans for years. That stops now. Finally, in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, David Chase (the production's creator) finally gave a clear-cut answer regarding Tony's fate:

"Because the scene I had in my mind was not that scene. Nor did I think of cutting to black. I had a scene in which Tony comes back from a meeting in New York in his car. At the beginning of every show, he came from New York into New Jersey, and the last scene could be him coming from New Jersey back into New York for a meeting at which he was going to be killed. Yeah. But I think I had this notion—I was driving on Ocean Park Boulevard near the airport and I saw a little restaurant. It was kind of like a shack that served breakfast. And for some reason I thought, "Tony should get it in a place like that." Why? I don't know. That was, like, two years before."

There you go. If you had any doubt, fellow Sopranos fans, Tony dies after the sudden cut to black. If anything, the revelation gives some extra closure to the series, not too long after we learned about Tony's origins in The Many Saints of Newark. Hopefully it'll put the speculation to rest, since Chase has seemingly not been fond of the ongoing discussion. Elsewhere in the interview, the creator admits that the fixation on Tony's fate "bothered" him, since so much else was going on in the world at the time.

www.yahoo.com

At Long Last, David Chase Explained Tony's Fate in 'The Sopranos'

The Sopranos' cut-to-black moment has been contested by fans for years. Now, the show's creator revealed exactly what happens after.

I kinda liked it being left open but i guess thats the end of that debate.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
eh, what he had thought of before doesn't really matter since it wasn't put in the show. The scene as it exists is all that matters in the end for interpretation.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it was left open. They pretty much spell it out Tony dies at the end. The only thing in question is did anyone else catch some stray bullets.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
There was never a debate in my mind. It felt clear he was dead. The true revelation from that interview is that he kinda had a better ending for the show than what they shot. Hmmm.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I would honestly be surprised if anyone thought he didn't die there.

Also that interview has him being frustrated that people wanted to see him die because we're supposed to love him after all those years? We're criminals too or something? What a silly take.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There was never a debate in my mind. It felt clear he was dead. The true revelation from that interview is that he kinda had a better ending for the show than what they shot. Hmmm.

And if it wasn't right there and then, it was coming.

Tony even admits himself that there are two fates that await someone like him- death or prison.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I only watched the show at the beginning of this year, but always heard about that finale scene. I was expecting a lot more ambiguous ending, but it seemed pretty clear from the pattern of camera shots.

Tony was a dead man, either way, but that was a brilliant way of doing it.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
The show is practically screaming at you with the way that scene is constructed that he dies. Don't they even play in that episode that line from Bobby earlier in the season about how it's like all you see is black when you die?

Also not quite sure why some ambiguity about the ending bothered Chase enough to clear it all up. Maybe it's not the thing you want people to fixate on, but it IS something that people fixate on, and almost any creator would KILL for a show where this is in the pop culture discourse 14 years later just as strong as ever.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I never got around to watching the last 3 episodes even though I actively followed the show when it originally aired.

Oct 25, 2017
nypost.com

‘Sopranos’ creator David Chase finally reveals death scene for Tony

The show’s creator revealed a cryptic tidbit that gives the show’s blackout ending and fate of James Gandolfini’s Tony Soprano in 2007 a bit more context.

Chase elaborated on his stance in the newly released book "Woke Up This Morning" by "Sopranos" cast members Michael Imperioli, 55 and Steve Schirripa, 64.

When asked by Schirripa if the show's end has "a definitive answer," Chase responded. "No. I really shouldn't talk about it at all because when I say anything, people interpret it in some way, and then it starts up again. For a long time, I was really upset because that's all they talked about, they didn't talk about the rest of the episode."

Its meant to be up to you to decide

Oct 27, 2017
I see this getting passed around, and I haven't seen the show but know the ending scene in question. I don't really understand how this is him confirming anything? He is simply saying the original ending he was going to do was Tony dying. But they didn't do that, they went with something else - and in that ending Tony doesn't die.

He doesn't even explicitly state that in the actual ending the character dies after the cut to black? So I'm not sure how people are making this assumption. It's obvious Chase wanted Tony to die at the end of the show but that's just not what was filmed.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this. I liked it better with the ambiguity and I don't like that Tony was killed.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. It's more interesting to question WHY you need for Tony to be dead or alive to have any closure than whether he is or not, IMO.

for me what made Tony dying interesting would have been the fallout narratively. What happens to the Jersey family? What happens to Carmella and the kids? His sister? How does everyone deal with such a massive loss (and we sort of got some of that when Junior shot him). Without that, what does it matter? Chase coming out now and saying what happened one way or the other doesn't actually change anything. He could come out and say aliens flew down and abducted Tony for all I care.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
for me what made Tony dying interesting would have been the fallout narratively. What happens to the Jersey family? What happens to Carmella and the kids? His sister? How does everyone deal with such a massive loss (and we sort of got some of that when Junior shot him). Without that, what does it matter? Chase coming out now and saying what happened one way or the other doesn't actually change anything. He could come out and say aliens flew down and abducted Tony for all I care.
My next question was did Paulie have something to do with the hit? He wasn't on the list to be killed. He seemed to dislike Tony and was willing to help the New York families until he found out Carmine had no idea who he was.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, exactly. I always go to a place where I think about the immediate aftermath of Tony being murdered in front of his family. What does that look like long term? Does Carm end up like Angie handing our food samples in the grocery store? Does AJ finally off himself after his fathers death? Or if he does live, does he end up like Johnny Sac with the gun charge/RICO indictment being all but assured, etc.

PeskyToaster

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The show itself doesn't have a definitive answer, as in it ends before he dies and it doesn't matter what the creator says, we can only judge what's on screen. But I think all signs pointed to yes. It's not really the point though. I don't think Chase at the time wanted to give his bloodthirsty audience the catharsis of one last mob hit. It was an extremely bold play imo that secured the show its place as the greatest television show of all time.

I never understood why this mattered so much. Such a meaningless debate.
Pretty much this. The show itself points strongly to his death but I like that idea that it's just Chase giving the audience a small taste of what its really like to be a mob boss. Every moment of that scene is just ramping up the tension and you get point-of-view of Tony checking everyone coming through that door. He's not just waiting for Meadow, it's what he has had to do his entire life looking over his shoulder for the FBI, rival families, or just the eager kid with a gun trying to make a name. Then it cuts to black before audiences get any sort of relief from all that buildup and tension. There you have it, your very own walk in Tony's shoes.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
People sure do struggle whenever they have to think for themselves and interpret something, huh? What a depressing state of the world.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He'd more or less confirmed it accidentally before if I recall but nice to just come clear about it... even if it might've been better left unspoken.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
My next question was did Paulie have something to do with the hit? He wasn't on the list to be killed. He seemed to dislike Tony and was willing to help the New York families until he found out Carmine had no idea who he was.
Paulie wasn't important enough to kill and it shows Tony's desperation level in giving him the old Cifaretto crew. Dude isn't anywhere near ready to earn at that level. He isn't going to punch above his weight like Ralphie or Vito. Tony's crew is so depleted by that point, it's what he's got to work with and I'm sure New York would love to have Paulie as an easily controllable stooge. So it's possible he's in on it but I also think Paulie has never shown the ability to think long term as a character so why would he suddenly get smart enough to do so, now?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This was obvious as shit if you follwed the door's bell sound 🔔 then the cuts ✂️.

Like WHAM IN YOUR FACE obvious.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I see this getting passed around, and I haven't seen the show but know the ending scene in question. I don't really understand how this is him confirming anything? He is simply saying the original ending he was going to do was Tony dying. But they didn't do that, they went with something else - and in that ending Tony doesn't die.

He doesn't even explicitly state that in the actual ending the character dies after the cut to black? So I'm not sure how people are making this assumption. It's obvious Chase wanted Tony to die at the end of the show but that's just not what was filmed.

I don't think you're missing anything. OP and Yahoo are reading the THR quote incorrectly. He doesn't confirm anything. He's referring to a scene that was never shot

I'm still team "he died" but I don't think there's anything in the interview that makes it less ambiguous then it was yesterday

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this old news? I recall him "spoiling" this already years back, just not the context in which he came up with the final scene specifically, but definitely alluded to his fate. But as others have already mentioned, this is pretty obvious anyways.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
He was smart enough to betray Ralph and to earn a spot with the New York families until he found out Johnny Sack was using him so he buttered up Tony again after. Even Tony figures out it was Paulie who was stirring shit with the New York families. Almost killed him too.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

I was driving on Ocean Park Boulevard near the airport and I saw a little restaurant. It was kind of like a shack that served breakfast. And for some reason I thought, "Tony should get it in a place like that." Why? I don't know. That was, like, two years before."

Given the context of the conversation, I don't think "get it" was reference to the breakfast the shack serves.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
It's not uncommon for Mafia dons to die free and of old age though.

End of Soprano was pretty clear regardless of that.
Uncle Junior was made the boss pretty early on in S1, and while he survived the end of the series, I don't think they left him in a place where he'd be going back to jail.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't though? He says it wasn't a slip of the tongue back in 2018 when he talked about having the death scene in mind for years because he wasn't talking about the don't stop believing/Holstens scene they ended up with or cutting to black. He goes on to talk about what he had in mind for years. Don't get me wrong, it's clear his intent was to kill Tony and he says as much here, but he is being no less coy about how to interpret the actual finale than ever. He continues, complaining about people who wanted justice done to Tony and to know he was killed