• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Darrell Gallagher previously worked at Crystal Dynamics as Head of Studio and Activision as senior vice president, head of development.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Considering Microsoft still hasn't bought Crystal dynamics for some strange reason, I guess this is the next best thing.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That guys last name is Booty?

Unfortunate family name? Legal name change because he loves the booty? Stage name?

kribwalker

Oct 27, 2017
good news for those that love single player games. E3 is starting to heat up after this and Rare teasing perfect dark

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Spreading conspiracy theories, accumulated infractions.
This is the guy who spearheaded the deal to make Rise of the Tomb Raider one year exclusive to Xbox.

It failed badly and he "left the studio" shortly thereafter.

Now he's working for the people whom he made the exclusive sweet deal for. It's not surprising, I don't think there are many companies out there clamoring for him given his business catastrophe.

It's almost like the revolving door in politics where they graduate to lobbying.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible he might help build a new internal team? Seems like a guy with the experience to do so.
He was a senior vice president type at Activision, so I'm guessing he's expected to just run most of the business.

Mind, they could definitely be building new studios, but he seems way too high up to be the kind of person who runs one studio.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is the guy who spearheaded the deal to make Rise of the Tomb Raider one year exclusive to Xbox.

Now he's working for the people whom he made the exclusive sweet deal for. It's not surprising, I don't think there are many companies out there clamoring for him given his business catastrophe.

It's almost like the revolving door in politics where they graduate to lobbying.

wrxg_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Lol

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
He's probably running 3rd party publishing or something

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Who is on this Microsoft studios executive leadership team?

It's not overly complicated:
  1. Phils Spencer (Portfolio)
  2. Matt Booty (Head of Microsoft studios)
  3. Then they have an executive leadership team that all the studios heads sit on, including Shannon representing MSGP. That is the leadership team Darrel would be joining.
  4. Under each studio head is their studios, under Shannon is her creative directors like Joseph Staten, Ken Lobb etc

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't he the guy that "quit" CD in the wake of Rise of the Tomb Raider's initial XB1 release? I can recall the stories of the time that CD management were the ones that pushed so hard for that exclusivity deal, so the timing of his departure was suspect to say the least.

This news would seem to confirm a number of theories of the time.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

So he made a few month stop over in Activision just to test out the toilets, and smell the office plants?

The guy's name has been attached to a lot of hit games. Apparently Activision was clamoring for him, and Microsoft was also interested enough. When you've got a resume that includes the Tomb Raider games, as well as handling the entirety of Square Enix's western games publishing which included Life Is Strange, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Hitman I'd say he's pretty qualified and hireable.

Just my two cents anyway. I think this is a pretty interesting hire for MS given their current first party situation, and the rumors that have been floating around.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Edited Thread Title.

I wanted to try to put both titles in the title but it wasn't fitting, so I went with the one that's a bit more pertinent to the Microsoft exec role.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Little snippet from when he left SE/CD and the man himself.

2979833-darrell.jpg

In other news, at the end of this year, Darrell Gallagher will be leaving Square Enix after more than 10 years with the company. Darrell has worked as Square Enix's Head of Product Development and Western Studios, where he shepherded this year's successful launches of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft Go, Life is Strange and Just Cause 3, and queued up major launches for next year, including Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Hitman. Prior to that, he was Crystal Dynamics' Studio Head, where he led many projects including the reboot of Tomb Raider. Darrell has helped create so much incredible entertainment during his time with Square Enix, and we all thank him for his incredible contribution.

Echoing this, we wanted to share the note that our western CEO Phil Rogers sent to our company:

"Today Darrell Gallagher announced that he is moving on from Square Enix at the end of this year. Darrell became head of Crystal Dynamics back in 2009, led that studio to reboot the Tomb Raider franchise, and for the last 3 years he has led our western studios. I want to thank him for his tremendous effort and contribution to Square Enix, along with the amazing entertainment he has helped create. I am sad to see him go but respect his decision and we should all celebrate the sheer blood, sweat and tears he has put into our company over the last 10 years! We are excited for him and his family on their next chapter. We wish them the best of luck in the future."

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't quote his post, but my question was sort of in relation to the Eurogamer article that labpleb linked to just above my post.

In that article from 2016 the top voted reader comment is "At least he's got a nice job at Microsoft waiting for him." - so seems like a logical move for him, since he's done business with Xbox before.
Ok. This makes a lot more sense now.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I can't comment too deeply on this, but Microsoft Game Studios had some HUGE internal changes within the last year. Essentially for a while the people who made all the biggest choices were part of Microsoft and not Microsoft Game Studios, buisness people without much in-depth knowledge on the industry, but now people leading MGS finally got more power within the company to make more decisions for themselves and have been working hard to make some big changes going forward.

I fully suspect this hire is related to some things they're up to.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Is he taking over the position from Shannon Loftis? Otherwise I don't know what is his job lol.

Shannon is over MS Global Publishing (games made by outside developers) and reports to Booty. I don't think she was ever over the studio leads at 343, The Coalition, Rare, Turn10, and Mojang.

Maybe Gallagher is heading up a new studio or joining an initiative like the newly formed cloud for gaming division?

Last edited:

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
He was a senior vice president type at Activision, so I'm guessing he's expected to just run most of the business.

Mind, they could definitely be building new studios, but he seems way too high up to be the kind of person who runs one studio.
Ah that makes sense. It'll be interesting to see what his position will end up being then. It's a good get.

Nov 13, 2017
My mother's name is Danielle Gallagher. I thought there was a thread on ERA about my mom. That's what I get for not wearing my glasses this morning.