MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
A spiritual successor to Burnout 3 Takedown, one of the greatest arcade racing games ever made, will be out this time next month.

People who grew up in the PS2 era have been spoiled rotten this Winter/Spring with sequels of Kingdom Hearts, DMC, Ace Combat and for me this tops off what has been the strongest start to a year this decade. And last year was no slouch.

The team has been slaving away on the drift mechanics and UI so I can't wait to see the finished product.

http://www.threefieldsentertainment.com/dangerous-driving/

Also an update from their blog. About the Epic Store decision.

Hello
I want to provide a response to those who are understandably upset about Dangerous Driving not coming to the Steam Store.
We have to date published 4 games on Steam and it was our intention that Dangerous Driving would also feature there. However, we have reached the conclusion that for now at least it is not a viable platform for us. This is not us being anti-Steam as it is clearly a great platform for many. It is purely that, for many reasons (many of which we take responsibility for) our games have just not sold on this platform compared to others we publish on.
This is why we have taken the chance to try something different.
We appreciate the support we have had from those who have bought our games on Steam and we are sorry to disappoint them that Dangerous Driving will not be there.
Thanks for listening
With kind regards
Fiona
p.s. The UI of the game has had a complete overhaul since we made the trailer – a new one will come soon!

Oct 25, 2017
Mediking this might help you learn to drive.

First time hearing about this. I liked Revenge more but 3 was amazing as well. Does this developer have members from Criterion? Or were they just inspired and wanted to make a new burnout since EA doesn't seem to be interested?

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Mediking this might help you learn to drive.

First time hearing about this. I liked Revenge more but 3 was amazing as well. Does this developer have members from Criterion? Or were they just inspired and wanted to make a new burnout since EA doesn't seem to be interested?

Same folks from the original series. They left Criterion and have since made their own studio.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That FOV seems a bit too extreme. Giving me motion sickness :(

But Burnout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. So if they can sort that out (or give me the option to fix it), I'll be there.

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
That FOV seems a bit too extreme. Giving me motion sickness :(

But Burnout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. So if they can sort that out (or give me the option to fix it), I'll be there.

That whole fish bowl thing going on? Idk the whole tunnel vision effect is one thing I loved about the first one. I guess it could be a little more subtle.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
CrashedAlex - Alex ward, director of all the burnout games, NFS Hot Pursuit 2010, and this - is a member here. I always call him out in these threads cuz I still geek out that he's around lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
JBFVWsXl.jpg

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I think this popped up here a couple of weeks ago, I'm super excited about it.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I was so excited about this. Despite the production values of this game, Burnout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time and I wanted to buy this. We'll see if the Epic Store thing is for one year or permanent. I wish them the best anyway.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I'm hyped. The Burnout series (in paticular 3, Revenge, and Paradise), is one of my most favourite series of all time.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is good. Their previous games haven't been the best.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like the name is pretty bland but with the developer pedigree I have high hopes for this

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even realize ex criterion folks were basically making a burnout successor. That FOV is a little hurtful to watch in the gameplay. But if we can adjust it, I can live with it. Games looking real good to. Will be nice to have some basic crash field racing again.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
My one main issue with the latest trailer was the UI so hoping that's been corrected, it was far too plain for this kind of game and just needed a bit more personality.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone having high hopes merely because of the dev should probably check out hier previous games. The were mediocre at the very best. Those games would be a way better comparison than the Burnout games that were Made by completely different Teams with an infinitly higher budget.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Car physic is completly off, it has no weight at all when it steers... it looks a cheap and worse copy of every Burnout.

No thanks :/

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Car physic is completly off, it has no weight at all when it steers... it looks a cheap and worse copy of every Burnout.

No thanks :/

Burnout 3 wasn't exactly the last word in car physics if we are being honest with ourselves.

That said. Slow-mo, that 3D effect with the particles and better deformation of the cars is something I'd like to see but its a really small team so I'm just the game is being made at all.

So far though the sense of speed is on point.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Looks kinda rough. I'd prefer to just get a Burnout collection.

Given their prior games failure to find an audience, I don't think deciding not to release on Steam will help this sell well. I wonder just how much they got paid by Epic to make that decision worth it.

Steam obviously isn't the problem if their prior games didn't do particularly well on consoles too.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Their previous games not doing well had nothing to do with Steam being the wrong platform, but rather with these games being mediocre at best. No doubt a Burnout-like game would have done better on Steam as well.

I'm not sure what's annoying me most: another game going EGS exclusive, or another dev talking nonsense instead of admitting that Epic gave them a fat cheque to keep their game away from Steam.

Anyway, just like other games involved in Epic's moneyhatting spree, this one will stay on my ignore list permanently. Not supporting this sh*t.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Burnout 3 wasn't exactly the last word in car physics if we are being honest with ourselves.

That said. Slow-mo, that 3D effect with the particles and better deformation of the cars is something I'd like to see but its a really small team so I'm just the game is being made at all.

So far though the sense of speed is on point.

The car in burnout really looks like it's suffering from the inertia though. Especially with the damage and the doors flapping. It looks much better than the car does in Dangeous Driving.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
How many Criterion devs were there? It feels like every 5 of them split off and made a studio. I'm sure I've heard this same thing about 4 times before. The games always look kinda similar too...

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I loved Burnout 2 and 3, so I supported the last two Danger Zones to get us to this point. TBH, I'm not very convinced, but I'll give them an honest look. If we're at 20, I'll probably bite on launch to support. 30 will be a stretch.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Anyone having high hopes merely because of the dev should probably check out hier previous games. The were mediocre at the very best. Those games would be a way better comparison than the Burnout games that were Made by completely different Teams with an infinitly higher budget.
I had a decent amount of fun with dangerous golf, but I understand how others were disappointed.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It appears they've taken the UI concerns to heart, so I'm in. That and the FOV have kneecapped their games so hard and they're so fixable. The budget jank is expected but those are poor choices that wouldn't have cost any more to do better.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
In this case, and only this case, it sounds like it was take Epic's money or the studio is done.

They made the right choice.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
will buy on PS4

Bought dangerous gold and the danger zone (never knew they made a danger zone 2)

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
How many Criterion devs were there? It feels like every 5 of them split off and made a studio. I'm sure I've heard this same thing about 4 times before. The games always look kinda similar too...

Not to take anything away from the others but the studio behind this game was founded by the same two that founded Criterion. Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry. The former served as the director for Burnout 1-3, Revenge and Paradise if thats worth anything. :p

Edit: nvm

Last edited:

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I know the Golf & Zone games were basically a test bed for DD but I think DD is going to be too and that they signed a deal with Epic that gave them enough purely upfront to let them make DD2.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seems crazy we haven't got a PS2 HD collection yet.

Paradise gave me hope but I guess if we're not getting Mass Effect HD then Burnout HD has no chance

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm treating this like a kickstarter campaign. I know I'm not getting the super deluxe 2019 version of Burnout with a 7 person team, just a taste of a particularly style of arcade racer we haven't had in a while.

And if my dollars help keep the studio afloat until they expand to something better in a few years, I'm down with that.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I'm treating this like a kickstarter campaign. I know I'm not getting the super deluxe 2019 version of Burnout with a 7 person team, just a taste of a particularly style of arcade racer we haven't had in a while.

And if my dollars help keep the studio afloat until they expand to something better in a few years, I'm down with that.
Well said! It's the kind of indie game I buy day one in hopes of keeping the team afloat.