• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dangen Entertainment responds
  • thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey everyone.

I loathe writing messages like this, because it means that something is on fire. I really wish I was writing a post about how awesome I thought X-men #2 was, or how much I'm enjoying Jedi Fallen Order.

That said, I think it's proper that I handle the issue at hand directly. Since even before its release, the developer of Devil Engine has been verbally abusive to us, and has been hugely toxic to our entire team. The toxicity got to a point that it started to affect my mental state, and we eventually mutually agreed to a commucation proxy to get work done. (I'm happy to offer up evidence if asked, but I'm not doing so right now to keep this post legible).

There is no question that we made mistakes while working with the developer. We're not perfect. When mistakes were made, we did our best to rectify the situation.

Soon after the release of Devil Engine, the developer assigned a proxy to receive all revenue they had earned. This was to expedite payment and make sure that they DID NOT receive payment late. Withholding tax when transferring money out of the country is a giant headache, which is why a proxy based in Japan was chosen. We paid the developer's proxy on July 23rd, well within the rules of the contract we signed. We also supplied evidence to the developer of the payment..

And now they're attacking one of our other developers, encouraging people to pirate the game instead of buying it. Bug Fables is an incredible game that deserves better. Moonsprout Games has been working for a very long time on the game, and has created something that we're insanely lucky and proud to be working with. They do not deserve this.

Anyway, if anyone has questions or would like evidence, I do need to ask our counsel what we're able to make public, as we do have an NDA in place. I hope this clears things up.

Second Medium article by original writer
  • OnionKnight

Nov 23, 2019
    Lordran
    Wow... It looks like the original writer made an huge SECOND post about dangen. Apparently they were able to recover their slack archives and found a ton of stuff?

https://medium.com/@dangenwarning/dangen-entertainment-warning-2-e11e04ab78ea

Seems to explain the stolen rev share/tax situation a lot better, along with a lot of other stuff. I'm still reading but this is well worth going over.

Danger Warning author comments, warns about Ben Judd
  • dwarn

Dec 10, 2019
    http://archive.is/kmBzn - Dangen Entertainment Warning #1
    http://archive.is/68jQT - Dangen Entertainment's Rebuttal
    http://archive.is/rQtsJ - Dangen Entertainment Warning #2

http://dangenwarning.wordpress.com - A Wordpress mirror of all the articles.

Hello, I am "Dangen Warning" or "DW" as I'd prefer to be referred to. I hope it's okay for me to post here. Please forgive me if I violate any rules, I'm not very familiar with ResetEra outside these threads and knowing Nayan enjoyed posting on here a lot.

As it seems to be a point of confusion for many, I'd like to reiterate that I am not Alex. They are in contact with me and allowed me to post the e-mails they received from Ben Judd. At the time, it was too painful for them to post the e-mails themselves, but I thought it was a crucial piece of evidence to start the story with. This seems to have lead to a lot of confusion about my identity and theirs.

How do I support the DE Dev??
    You can't monetarily, not right now. Please just make sure people know about what Dangen Entertainment has done to him and his game. We're looking into solutions, and when things are all clear, we'll probably tweet about it.

What happened to the Medium posts?
    I was sent a letter from Medium for the first one saying it violated their TOS and asked me to remove private communications in order to have the post unsuspended.
    The second one was also deleted, plus a notice saying my account was suspended and would not be eligible for reinstatement.

image0.png

This is fair, as I knew for the second post that it was going to be taken down. I don't have access to any other way to anonymously post long essays with images.

Where are the journalists?
    There are some journalists, English and Japanese, who contacted me after the first Medium post and I believe some more articles will be going up shortly.

Prior to writing the Medium posts, I had actually contacted a few journalists. The impression I got was they were uninterested or too busy. Our projects weren't really important enough, and Ben Judd wasn't well known enough. One journalist even mentioned that she had enough "metoo" stories to chase after.

I don't blame these journalists. One Japanese journalist repeatedly told me that it was "shameful" that his publication didn't have the resources to pursue the story or to help me. I believe he was sincere, and the reality is, people like Ben Judd and companies like Dangen Entertainment are so widespread that people really do need to pick their battles. Even now I have firsthand knowledge of other people/companies that I would love to warn people about. Ultimately, I am still part of the whisper circle, but I hope I've encouraged others to try to break this cycle.

Why is Ben Judd important?
    I want to explain something very important about Ben Judd that I don't think a lot of people understand about the story. I had tried to explain Ben Judd's importance in (DW-nightclub), but I can see now that I think people needed a very clear explanation on who Ben Judd even is, and why he's even important at all. He's not "just a creep", he's an extremely important person in the AAA games industry, in Japan and the West.

When Alex made their first tweets about Ben Judd back in August, Dangen Entertainment began to try and obfuscate his importance in the company and hide him from interviews. Ben Judd is not a "Co-founder" of Dangen Entertainment, he is literally the CEO and owner. Now they are doing this same tactic again, but on a larger scale that I will try to explain shortly.

Ben Judd is the "Resident Director" (basically the CEO) of the Japan foreign branch office of DDM Agency. DDM has tried to hide his role in the company very recently, but here is a web archive showing that he is one of the top three executives in the company, and the top executive of the Japan branch.

DDM Agency ( https://www.ddmagency.com/ ) is a huge AAA games agency that works with many well-known games and companies: Mighty No. 9 (Comcept), Bloodstained (505 Games), Devil May Cry (Capcom), Metroid (Nintendo), Metal Wolf Chaos (From Software & Devolver Digital), Sekiro (From Software & Activision), Azure Striker Gunvolt (Inti Creates), Silent Hill (Konami)... just to name a few.

Almost every AAA/AA company has some kind of relationship with Ben Judd or DDM Agency. He's bragged that his salary is over $20,000 a month. His work for DDM Agency is primarily where all his power and money come from, and his behavior (sexual harassment, power harassment) has touched every part of the games industry in Japan and the West.

Dangen Entertainment uses the same exact office as DDM Agency and many of its employees and resources, such as law firms and PR firms.

He also has one more company at this same office in the same room: "Capsulated Software". Capsulated Software pretends to be an "indie game development studio" when it is in fact funded and owned by Ben Judd. Capsulated Software develops "Tactical Galactical", a game which Ben Judd directs and is commissioning artists and programmers to work on for himself.

He was on the Board of Directors of the Japan Indie Games Association (JIGA), the committee that manages Bitsummit, the largest indie games event in Japan. John Davis, a former Dangen employee and known friend and supporter of Ben Judd is also still on the Board of Directors of JIGA, giving Ben a strong influence over Bitsummit. Sponsors of Bitsummit include Nintendo, Sony, Cygames, Unties, Raw Fury, IGN Japan, Famitsu, Twitch, LG, AMD.

Bitsummit recently announced they removed DDM as one of their sponsors. This still doesn't solve the problem, as Dangen has remained as a sponsor.

Ben Judd uses this influence and multiple shell companies to sponsor visas for foreigners and sneak games with his influence into events meant for "indie games". While he makes over $200,000 a year, he makes multiple smaller companies, staffs these companies with friends (primarily foreigners), and pretends that these are "small indie companies" and uses his influence to prioritize their placement in events like Bitsummit and TGS, ahead of other games/groups.

Ben Judd wants to characterize the people speaking out against him as a hate mob lead by a jilted-ex (Alex). And honestly, I fear he will be successful, if people focus only on Ben being "creepy", whipping his balls out in public, etc. As horrible as that stuff is, there's quite frankly a lot of people who would just dismiss it as poor humor.

What I tried, and perhaps have failed to do, with my first two Medium posts was demonstrate how Ben Judd uses his considerable influence to harm and control as much as he can. He is incompetent, petty, and malicious. He has acquired a ridiculous amount of power for someone who frankly appears to have done very little competent work, and relishes in using and abusing it, for the sheer sake of doing so.

I am a woman and he made it clear he found me attractive, so he created or allowed to continue a situation in which the safety of my projects was uncertain and I was forced to stay in his good favor, or risk my friends and games being retaliated against if I ever made him upset. Demonstrably, this is what happened when I finally got tired of speaking with Ben.

With men, if DE Dev is any indication, he does the exact same thing. He cajoled or threatened DE Dev alternately until he finally reached his "limit", in which he saw fit to rub DE Dev's nose in his control over him, mocking his disabilities and refusing to relinquish control over his game and profits.

I did not write about a sloppy drunk weirdo who texts dick pics to his ex and thinks slapping his balls on the bar stool and waiting for anyone to notice is funny.

I wrote about a dangerous and powerful man who has and will use his power to embezzle, cheat, and harm others by his whim.

But he stepped down from Bitsummit and DDM was removed as a sponsor! This is a win!

No, it isn't. As long as EITHER Dangen or DDM remain in influence over Bitsummit as a sponsor (currently, Dangen is still listed as one of Bitsummit's sponsors), Ben Judd's presence at Bitsummit will remain. I repeat: Dangen is literally in the same room as DDM. Not in the same office building, in the same room. The average American kitchen is farther from the bedroom than Dangen is from DDM. So long as Ben Judd is still a part of DDM, he need only turn in his chair to touch Dan Stern on his shoulder.

He has not been removed in any meaningful way. He has only been hidden and protected.

Last edited:
    Developer response to current situation
  • dwarn

Dec 10, 2019
    I'm not sure how much I'm comfortable saying publicly but basically the entire team save for Sinoc got exhausted with his impatience with the Dangen situation. We had several deals lined up to close things out with Dangen and move on with new publishers, but essentially Sinoc began lying to press/industry people behind our back repeatedly. At first it was mostly highly exaggerated versions of our grievances against Dangen, then it became outright horrible slander towards other developers he deemed his enemies. He began posting my private information and claiming I was his lawyer or told him that doing xyz things was okay.

While I understood his anger, the way he chose to continue lashing that anger out publicly was beginning to be impossible to work with. By this I mean his methods were counter productive, in violation of any of the contracts I was trying to negotiate, and potentially harmful for the team's reputation as a whole. He was no longer someone I felt comfortable helping for nearly free. I was offered essentially any price I wanted in order to continue managing the situation, but money had never been my concern. He was supposed to be a dear friend I was helping out of a sticky situation, but it became clear how little he valued us as people beyond what we could do for him.

We repeatedly told him to stop posting that kind of stuff in private over the first half of 2020 but it became clear he had no intention to stop and no remorse for the trouble it caused. He used his mental health as an excuse and I had great sympathy for that until I realized he was essentially determined to continue to throw a tantrum for as long as he didn't get exactly his way on exactly his schedule.

Finally we gave him an ultimatum regarding his habit of posting NDA/private info/lies/insults in public on Twitter/4chan. He kept thinking if he deleted it after getting caught it'd be no big deal. We told him we'd quit if he did that one more time. He tried to post my private emails on 4chan less than 24 hours after this. So, we all officially quit.

Sinoc tried to give up access to the official Protoculture Twitter account as a way of proving that he was really actually definitely sorry this time, to try and keep the team working on their next project. But after 6+ months constantly begging him to stop causing trouble, and even less than 24 hours later reposting the exact same private email alongside some insults about another developer, we just couldn't really deal with it anymore.

I referred a lawyer to Sinoc and I tried to maintain contact between us and the lawyer in order to close the situation out gracefully. But after months of negotiations it became apparent Sinoc was going around telling people I'd stolen his money and that he was planning on tricking the artist and musician into signing a contract that would cut them off from further royalties.

We tried discussing it with the lawyer and he suddenly claimed that they had the right to sell the team's work without their permission. Which begs the question why was he even speaking to us for months about acquiring our consent lol.

So that's sort of the rough overview of what's happening there. Obviously everyone involved finds it all to be very unpleasant. For me I feel really ashamed to have enabled and defended Sinoc's behavior in the past but haven't had the good health to really involve myself much more.

I only wrote about things I personally witnessed or had concrete evidence regarding Dangen's actions, so I stand by what I wrote regarding them. However, I've deeply regret trying to defend Sinoc for roughly a year now. I truly didn't think he would turn around and slander us after all of the effort and support we put into supporting not just Devil Engine as a project but him as our personal friend.

But, I was wrong to defend his behavior, so I wanted to say as much and apologize for that now. I wish Devil Engine Ignition could've come out with everybody happy, but I don't foresee that happening.

The artist, musician, and I have all moved on to other projects/pursuits and don't really want to manage Sinoc's tantrums any longer. That may be harsh/unprofessional to admit but personally I feel like I've lost years of my life solely due to the stress of constantly managing his outbursts, so my patience has worn very thin on the subject. I hope Sinoc just purchases new assets and moves on as well.