Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
crash-5-neo-cortex.jpg

The fact that you can play as Cortex in this game.

Dr Neo Cortex, the big bad of the Crash Bandicoot franchise. In their infinite wisdom, the developers at Toys For Bob have completely ruined the spirit of the franchise, by allowing you to play as the main antagonist. That's right folks, a game called "Crash Bandicoot 4," you can play as Cortex. How is this not false advertising? People buying this game are expecting to play a Crash Bandicoot game where you play as Crash Bandicoot, not "Crash Bandicoot and Dr Neo Cortex 4."

Crash-Bandicoot-4-Its-About-Time

Cortex doesn't even appear on the box art, so people are going to be in for an unpleasant surprise when they buy the game and realise that, hang on, I'm not playing Crash Bandicoot.

But Cortex could be fun right? WRONG. It doesn't matter how good the gameplay is if the story is trash, and the story already sounds trash. In the reveal, they showed how a level traversed as Crash could be impacted by Cortex's actions. Instead of being able to play straight as Crash, I now have to travel back in time and complete a level based on another character's perspective:

This would be perfectly fine if it wasn't Cortex, a character who I have written off and have no interest in. What makes it even worse is that as I'm playing as Cortex, I'm seeing the events of the game from HIS perspective, and now I have to listen to him in an attempt by the developers to give extra context to the story and to explore his actions, and how they affect Crash's progression in the story. The problem is that the story completely falls apart if you have no interest in exploring Cortex's side of the story, which I don't. I don't understand why the developers thought that players would actually be interested in seeing Cortex's motivations - Cortex tried to kill Crash, and that's the first thing we learn about him. I'm not really interested in learning about his backstory/motivations, he tried to kill the protagonist we all love so much. Even then, there's a massive disjoint between the story and the choices the player has- at the end of Cortex's section we watch Cortex make an attempt on Crash's life by blowing up a boat:

Like what is this? Are they trying to make me feel bad or something? If it was my choice, I'd gladly just suicide as Cortex, because I'm on Crash's side 100%. This cutscene is out of my control, Cortex's actions are out of my control, the only way to change this is to not play, which goes against the entire point of playing a video game.

I just find it really disappointing, especially since the core gameplay looks great and I'm liking the mechanical changes. The game's prequel (Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped), was an incredible feat for the hardware, and Crash 4 also looks to be an incredible sendoff before the release of next gen machines launches. Just as Crash 3 pushed the hardware to the absolute limit, Crash 4 looks to be a truly generational leap by retaining the core gameplay but pushing the envelope in some incredible ways. The scope and fidelity of the environments and the more open level design that still remains a tightly designed linear experience, while offering secrets on the side for those who want to explore. How fluidly the game animates whilst remaining responsive, and how violent the death animations are, for both the player and enemies. The improved accessibility options that allow a range of skill levels to approach the game while still retaining options for those that want a challenge. The fact that one of PlayStation's cult classics is getting a sequel in 2020. I love Crash Bandicoot but I cannot in good conscience support this game, knowing that Neo Cortex is a playable character.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
They added the ability to play as coco in the Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy yet didn't change the name to Crash and Coco's Wild Ride. I agree I think this is an outrage.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Twinsanity you did, not sure about the others.

Before the trilogy remake, Twinsanity would have been the one i was familiar with most without having played much of the others, is there general blowback against the idea of playing Cortex? or is this some kind of parody thread?
This is a Last of Us 2 parody thread.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the joke, but if you played half the game as cortex I would seriously be pissed off. Having some levels is nice.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
It'll probably be fine so long as they pace it well rather than making the Cortex levels the entire second half of the game or something. You'll be able to see the two characters journeys and how it effects them in parallel that way, it might even make you question your actions as Crash as you are doing them, rather than about 10 hours into the Cortex one when you've finally warmed to him.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP. Something that also makes me uncomfortable is the size of Cortex's head. A man's brain simply can't be that big and it's a pretty ridiculous design choice.

OP
OP
Aurora

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
Real talk: the Cortex gameplay doesn't look very good.

I'd engage with this point since it's probably going to drown in the sea of reactions - I do get where you're coming from. For me all I wanted from Crash 4 was rock solid Crash gameplay and the game in that respect is killing it, so any side characters are salad dressing for me. I think there's some potential for some creative puzzles with Cortex (instead of hardcore platforming, some puzzles to unwind where you figure out how complete a section/crate puzzle without messing up), and I don't dislike the inherent mechanics at play, but it all boils down to level design, and I think the Cortex stuff will at the end of the day just be a fun side addition on top of the Crash campaign, which honestly is fine.