• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if there's been a thread on this before, the search didn't bring up anything.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYziPapZWDw

Seeing ray tracing mods for things like Minecraft, Doom, Quake, and Quake II shows the feature can have a massive impact on even low-detail graphics. I wonder if any retro-style or low-poly indie games could ever be specifically built around it for a unique visual appeal or maybe gameplay based around light and darkness. We've already had games like Amid Evil and Paradise Killer add ray tracing as an extra on PC.

The only issue is that we haven't seen anything like this running on consoles yet except maybe Lego Builder's Journey. There were the tests were some folks figured out how to try Minecraft RT on Xbox but that wasn't even supposed to be official. The RT effects that got modded into Doom and Quake along with Minecraft are actually path tracing which is supposedly way heavier computationally. However, running the Doom and Quake mods in retro mode turns the resolution all the way down to 200p which basically eats the entire cost of ray tracing, and the games still look fundamentally different from their traditionally rendered versions, so that could be an option for games that go for a retro aesthetic.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
aRVJnsv.png

Sambo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I doubt it. A lot of the PC stuff is done for free by modders and not the original publisher of the games. On top of that the consoles lack the power compared to PCs.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I've seen a good number of low poly games adopt newer rendering styles. Ps1 polygons and textures with ray traced GI from ue5 would make for a great presentation.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how far you push it. Quake 2 maxxed out without DLSS has my 3080 running for the hills. I ought to see just how low I can get the framerate sometime, just for kicks.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Sure would be nice to get a big time update to Strafe to support new consoles, rt, higher fps, and fix a lot of the long standing issues.

It'll never happen though, and if it did, I'm sure the input lag would remain.