• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Question for Americans here.

Why is it even possible to become a cop after a really really short time at the Academy?

Like it seems its not even half a year. How can you even learn all the legal stuff in just about 22 weeks? When I was learning German police law for my major that alone took one semester. And thats just the "theoretical" part. Nothing about weapon training, how to talk to culprits and victims, how to write a good report, how to act in certain situations etc.

war on crime, so they basically have a quick-set 'basic' type program to get those officers ready for the streets as soon as is "reasonably possible"

It would be nice if they had to go through an actual multiple year program, to find people who are actually suited to law enforcement and public safety, but again in America we have a war on crime mentality, so they need people who can be trusted to hold guns and use the force. but that doesn't address underlying social issues built into the fabric of this country's society, or its law enforcement.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yet when you talk to good ole boys about Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Bundy suddenly they ain't so fond of law enforcement. But when they dropping black people like flies? No fucks given.

My problem with law enforcement is the overwhelming majority don't call it out. The blue wall is complicity with brutality as it shields those misusing their authority time and time again.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet when you talk to good ole boys about Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Bundy suddenly they ain't so fond of law enforcement. But when they dropping black people like flies? No fucks given.

And that was a couple years ago. Now they have open contempt for the FBI in general. So... Joe Blow patrol officer is a an unassailable, highly professional hero, but FBI agents are undisciplined, lying, uneducated thugs? ooooooooookay

EvoTech

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
User banned (1 week) for racist dog-whistling and trolling.
Living in New Mexico, I definitely feel far more comfortable around our boys in blue over the people who say 'fuck da police'.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

EvoTech

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
And who exactly are "the people" who say fuck the police? C'mon, let us know how you really feel?
Black people. Let's cut the bullshit. Even went with 'da'.

That's pretty racist to assume it's only black people I was referring to. Don't do that again.

Now for his I really feel is still in my post. In my area, people who disrespect the police are the ones I would avoid, I as a well as friends and family have had vehicles and property vandalized, broken into, and stolen by these types of people, proven when they were caught and arrested.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love the police when they're responding to actual in-progress threats to public safety.

Sadly, it seems like most modern policing is about seeing what innocuous behaviors you can make into crimes. Beyond draconian policies on drugs and sex that are only getting worse (even extending online with the Craigslist & Backpage closures), it seems like the police can come after you for anything and everything.

This must change. If the police don't have evidence that you are causing actual harm or trauma to another person/animal, they should not be able to bother you. And their departments definitely shouldn't be encouraging them to do so.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's pretty racist to assume it's only black people I was referring to. Don't do that again.

Bullshit. You were insinuating Black people. Just be honest about it. What other group of people in america is 'da' in place of 'the' utilized to mimic (and in your case mock) cultural dialect?

Now for his I really feel is still in my post. In my area, people who disrespect the police are the ones I would avoid, I as a well as friends and family have had vehicles and property vandalized, broken into, and stolen by these types of people, proven when they were caught and arrested.

So criminals. Next time say that. Words matter. Unless you think anyone that uses 'da' in place of 'the' is a criminal? Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first one...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Ah, people in Mexico say, "Fuck da police." Instead, of speaking in their native Spanish tongue. Of course, the real racists are those that call out racist bullshit. GTFO.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
ah those people who break into cars and vandalize property. THOSE are the ones saying 'fuck da police'? Can I get some verification on that?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I saw this shit in real time when Migos came through my town recently. We've had Willie Nelson, P-Funk, a ton of hippie stoner bands, etc. come through with no incident - but Migos plays and Boone PD gets a traffic stop set up on a major highway. Pulled the van and arrested members of their entourage for possession.

Some hillbilly friends of mine called that bullshit for what it was and were faced with an onslaught of people who normally shit on cops whining about "they smelled weed they were doing their jobs".

The ironic icing on the hypocrite cake is how, in the same breath, these people call for cops in schools.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i respect the police, it's an impossible job but someone has to do it

we're always gonna fight corruption among the ranks, cold hearted bastards on a power trip

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

"Totally wasn't talking about black people, guys."
winking_lucille_arrested_development.gif

Oct 25, 2017
And that was a couple years ago. Now they have open contempt for the FBI in general. So... Joe Blow patrol officer is a an unassailable, highly professional hero, but FBI agents are undisciplined, lying, uneducated thugs? ooooooooookay

The contempt for federal agents has been quite open since at least the mid 90s. See: jack booted thugs-wayne lapierre

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

When you go from disagreeing with the well understood and legally settled reality that voter ID laws have been found to be used to systematically and surgically suppress the vote of minorities to whatever racist shit you're up to in this thread, I think you're revoking any benefit of the doubt you might have had.

EvoTech

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Ah, people in Mexico say, "Fuck da police." Instead, of speaking in their native Spanish tongue. Of course, the real racists are those that call out racist bullshit. GTFO.

It's New Mexico, a US state. We speak all sorts of languages, dialects, and slangs here. Look up YouTube videos for What They Say in the Bosque

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Most police out there are good people doing a hard job. There are some bad cops mixed in there and room for improvement. The majority of regular people are not going to like it when you shit on the police.

It'd be nice if the "good ones" spoke out against the bad ones every once in a while, rather than closing ranks and towing the blue line at the slightest hint of criticism. The problem isn't how many good cops there are Vs bad ones. The problem is that American law enforcement, as an institution, is rotten to the core.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I'm an EMT student and the amount g conservative drivel I hear during class is ridiculous. It's part of the field, I guess. Bunch of macho "manly men" who think they're gods gift to any fire department who will take them.

Then there's little liberal me. It sucks, but at least you're getting out.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I commend you for your use of "mendacious" but otherwise have no opinion on this topic whatsoever

Oct 29, 2017
Oh why oh why don't people stop resisting arrest when they are getting the shit beat out of them?

Man, I swear people get so damn whiny when they're getting harrassed or beaten these days.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if the "good ones" spoke out against the bad ones every once in a while, rather than closing ranks and towing the blue line at the slightest hint of criticism. The problem isn't how many good cops there are Vs bad ones. The problem is that American law enforcement, as an institution, is rotten to the core.

This. Haven't ever seen anybody doing the job even acknowledging a problem.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the US, but I see the police favorably. They are the ones risking their lives to protect people from criminals. Of course there are bad cops, but hating the corporation or the idea of the police itself is ridiculous. Keeping this hate against them won't do any favor to your society, unless you favor criminals or anarchy.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I subscribe to the PragerU and American Conservative University podcasts to stay on top of whatever bile is currently being spewed by the right. This video is above board compared to much of what these organizations produce.

This is what most recently had me fuming:
http://pca.st/episode/74a1d477-902d-4437-bf72-8cfcc7834e27

No wonder conservatives are so messed up, when they're huffing the fumes of these trash fires.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the US, but I see the police favorably. They are the ones risking their lives to protect people from criminals. Of course there are bad cops, but hating the corporation or the idea of the police itself is ridiculous. Keeping this hate against them won't do any favor to your society, unless you favor criminals or anarchy.

Ah, yes, the problem is expecting more of law enforcement. Thanks for the idea.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017

Is this really what people think about the police or are taught about them? That without we would have "anarchy"?

I can't speak for your country, but in the US only 50% of violent and property related crime is reported, and of the reported crime, only 50% of that is even cleared.

So at best, the police only prevents 25% of anarchy.

Society is more well adjusted and better at sustaining itself than you think.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...t-and-property-crimes-in-the-u-s-go-unsolved/

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
Is this really what people think about the police or are taught about them? That without we would have "anarchy"?

I can't speak for your country, but in the US only 50% of violent and property related crime is reported, and of the reported crime, only 50% of that is even cleared.

So at best, the police only prevents 25% of anarchy.

Society is more well adjusted and better at sustaining itself than you think.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...t-and-property-crimes-in-the-u-s-go-unsolved/

So, what's the point? That things are better without the police because they don't solve everything? In my country the number of resolved violent crimes is below 10% and the urban violence is chaotic. Only if the police was more effective and prepared, we might have a different situation. Obviously law enforcement it's not the only factor to prevent crimes but it's one of the key factors. Maybe in the first world countries the police are 'useless', but in others they are the only ones that can protect you.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the point? That things are better without the police because they don't solve everything? In my country the number of resolved violent crimes is below 10% and the urban violence is chaotic. Only if the police was more effective and prepared, we might have a different situation. Obviously law enforcement it's not the only factor to prevent crimes but it's one of the key factors. Maybe in the first world countries the police are 'useless', but in others they are the only ones that can protect you.

This video isn't about your country. It's about the US. You can't come in her tsk-tsk'ing our distrust of the police when, I assume, the history, statistics, and climate are vastly different. Police don't protect me.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

Strange logic here, the thing is that when there are bad apples in the US police force there is nothing DIRECTLY done to counter it, or eradicate it, this says that its a top down issue. In these cases, bad apples are more likely to get into positions (aggressively) where systematically their corruption can be graced and fostered. The ideal police system would actually condition police officers to sweat beads to even consider doing some of the outlandish stuff seen, and not as often and as extreme.

People need to stop saying the bolded like the problem is purely that bad cops exists and not the fact that institution consistently defends them and leaves their victims with no justice.

Also, Black Americans have to deal with enough lecturing on how we should feel about the Police without people from unrelated countries doing the same.

Oct 31, 2017

In the US, the police are criminals and people like yourself with blind devotion to them allow them to pervert justice with impunity.

This idea that society would be anarchy without cops comes from where?

In the US, cops primary concern is protecting themselves and corporate interests($$$) of the municipality/justice system, not "people". "People" are all just potential "criminals" to police who are just working a job with no inherent morality attached.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking Prager. A conservative propaganda YouTube channel. And literally most of the facts in that video were absolute obfuscations or complete bullshit. The only thing I fully agree with, is that a majority of Cops are trying to do their job with an integrity and passion to protect and serve. But lets not pretend a White man will get shot and/or killed for the same shit HE HIMSELF LISTED, as a Black man did. All three examples he used were an excessive use of force that you rarely ever see happen to a white person. It's just a goddamn fact.

Also, if you're afraid of a 30 second phone camera video making you out to look like a piece of shit shooting an unarmed man in the back, YOU SHOULD FUCKING WORRY. DO your goddamn job or get the fuck out.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the people acting as if the Americans fed up with the police are in the wrong because of how the police is in their country

It happens every thread without fail

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why would you admit to not knowing about the topic of discussion but then insist you're right