• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahhhh makes sense.

Pretty ironic that someone who is paid money to basically murder people, isn't in support of American Police. Who.. you know.. get paid and murder people.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
PragerU is thinly veiled batshit religious propaganda wrapped up in the veneer of a fake online "university". Every time I see one of their videos being advertised on youtube I make sure to report them, and you should too.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would agree that Cops are good guys. But that's not the problem. The problem are the bad apples that do not get sorted out and thus lead to ever growing fear among people since they can't tell if the cop in front of them is good or bad.

This is where the union or the judges should have stepped in, punish every cop that clearly overstepped his/her boundaries. But instead of this Nearly all of them get no punishment or a paid vacation.

That's not how you ensure the population is safe, that's how you tell them that the one they're supposed to rely on could kill them and safely get away for it.

But somehow some people are struggling with that concept.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he's in the air force, why does he deal with 'inmates'? The OP is so much more confusing than it needs to be because he seems to assume we all know who he is and what he does.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Question for Americans here.

Why is it even possible to become a cop after a really really short time at the Academy?

Like it seems its not even half a year. How can you even learn all the legal stuff in just about 22 weeks? When I was learning German police law for my major that alone took one semester. And thats just the "theoretical" part. Nothing about weapon training, how to talk to culprits and victims, how to write a good report, how to act in certain situations etc.
You can surely learn all the laws in 22 weeks. The problem is that applying those laws isn't always cut and dry. You have to take every situation on its own factors when it comes to applying the law. Then you have discretionary choices you can make in cases as well. It's a very large web to try not and get tangled in. Then take into account we basically have 50 different countries in the USA. That expands even more broad when you count how requirements to be hired are different between the 183 completely different and independent departments in South Carolina alone, and that doesn't even include state agencies, airport and education institution departments. We have one police academy in SC for all those agencies, and it is right now 12 weeks long. After that, you have to have a yearly update to training is specific areas, and it's up to your agency or yourself even, to get further training. The name of the academy training is BASIC Law Enforcement training. That's exactly what it is. Basic training. You learn the basics. After the academy, again, it's up to your agency and yourself to get further training. This is just in SC. Now take that ideology on police training and it increases exponentially when taking into account the other 49 states and all their individual jurisdictions.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
PU has popped up as pre-ads in a few youtube vids and nothing has gotten me off my bed and reaching for the DS4 to skip faster

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
You can surely learn all the laws in 22 weeks. The problem is that applying those laws isn't always cut and dry. You have to take every situation on its own factors when it comes to applying the law. Then you have discretionary choices you can make in cases as well. It's a very large web to try not and get tangled in. Then take into account we basically have 50 different countries in the USA. That expands even more broad when you count how requirements to be hired are different between the 183 completely different and independent departments in South Carolina alone, and that doesn't even include state agencies, airport and education institution departments. We have one police academy in SC for all those agencies, and it is right now 12 weeks long. After that, you have to have a yearly update to training is specific areas, and it's up to your agency or yourself even, to get further training. The name of the academy training is BASIC Law Enforcement training. That's exactly what it is. Basic training. You learn the basics. After the academy, again, it's up to your agency and yourself to get further training. This is just in SC. Now take that ideology on police training and it increases exponentially when taking into account the other 49 states and all their individual jurisdictions.

Thanks for the clarification. It still seems to me that its not long enough to be able to have that kind of responsibility after just 12 weeks of basic training and that further Basic Law Enforcement training.

Oct 31, 2017
"Cops are good guys" is programming. They repeat it often and early so that people believe it implicitly. It's as childish as believing in Santa.

The police are Stormtroopers; hammers that only see nails and are handled by the elite to overly ticket, jail and kill undesirable groups. Like, it's a job. Almost everyone has to do whatever their bosses want, like profile minorities.

Most white Americans worship cops and most black Americans have a completely different experience with police. It was police who helped racist whites bomb and burn black towns like Black Wall Street. And I won't forget about it just because most white people conviently don't know care

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh makes sense.

Pretty ironic that someone who is paid money to basically murder people, isn't in support of American Police. Who.. you know.. get paid and murder people.

A combat role in the Air Force and being a shitty cop who just opts to shoot everyone aren't exactly comparable.

Oct 31, 2017
Cops are a gang, period. They lie for each other and the ones lying don't even get in trouble when caught. I've seen too many videos of cops casually murdering people and planting drugs to believe "cops are good guys" just because they keep saying it

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to maintain your personal morals while being a prison guard in a for-profit system without getting fucked by one side or the other seems bordeline impossible.

Hope the job prospect pans out.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So we're not allowed to pick up the very clear, obvious institutional trend of police killing unarmed black people? Do we have to judge these people on an individual basis and refuse to recognise a pattern when it's right in front of our goddamned faces?

Please be more discrete.
What factors do you use to make a determination that there is a very clear, obvious institutional trend of police killing unarmed black people? Where's the pattern?
Thanks for the clarification. It still seems to me that its not long enough to be able to have that kind of responsibility after just 12 weeks of basic training and that further Basic Law Enforcement training.
Well, it's basic law enforcement training, aka basic training. Not two separate things. I agree that it's not long enough. I spent 13 years as a street officer, and you learn things different all the time. When I went to the academy, it was only 9 weeks. I was in the 393rd class to graduate from that academy. One of my supervisors, graduated from class number 4, and he started in 1972. The academy back then, I believe, was 5 weeks.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Lol I knew it was a PragerU video just from the first still, clicked the video to confirm.

It's crazy that PragerU is passed off as some legitimate think tank.

Oct 31, 2017
"I feared for my life"

*unarmed black person shot in the back*

*paid vacation*

*cops found themselves justified*

*cops worshipers celebrates as black people mourn*

Repeat every two months

Oct 31, 2017

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Some cops are good but all need to be held accountable. There are lots of structures in place to shield cops from having to take responsibility for their actions and they need to be either weakened or dismantled not only for the safety of average americans but also to reestablish lost trust in law enforcement. Old testament wild west justice is not compatible with contemporary civilized America

It's really not that hard to undwrstand

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Um, that's not what the question was about. Of course the numbers are disproportionate in regards to population. That wasn't what I asked. It's about the poster I quoted claiming it's a trend that police kill unarmed black people. Not whether black people are killed at a disproportionate rate versus white people.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Um, that's not what the question was about. Of course the numbers are disproportionate in regards to population. That wasn't what I asked. It's about the poster I quoted claiming it's a trend that police kill unarmed black people. Not whether black people are killed at a disproportionate rate versus white people.
????? How is killing unarmed black people at a higher rate than any other race not proof of a trend

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Go to work to work, socializing with anyone besides those who can do something for you is not worth it in long run

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
????? How is killing unarmed black people at a higher rate than any other race not proof of a trend
That's what I wanted to ask. If he's making that comment based on the versus argument or not. If it's a comment based on the rate of deaths between races, then yes, it's a trend. Just wanted some clarification on which factor that poster is using.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I clicked out of the video after the guy blamed the civilians for getting shot because they "disrespect" police officers. Its like a fucking mafia rule.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lol the "Black Lies Matter" line was when I clicked out of that. I'm black and I already knew I was watching bullshit, but I try to watch these things to see what others sometimes consume and add to their toolbox of bigotry.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the worst post I've seen on ERA

You're right, police in America sure do a great job of making PoC feel the opposite of terrified on a day to day basis. That poster was surely just exaggerating due to their completely unfounded bias against our friends, the police. Who are definitely our friends and not bad at all for sure.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right, police in America sure do a great job of making PoC feel the opposite of terrified on a day to day basis. That poster was surely just exaggerating due to their completely unfounded bias against our friends, the police. Who are definitely our friends and not bad at all for sure.
I'm right about what? Can you please quote the post where I'm mentioning the treatment of PoC by the Police or anything similar? Or are you just putting your words in my mouth?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Haha holy shit, I couldn't have thought the video is so bad. I was thinking that it's more moderate stance, trying to clean the image a bit. But nah, it's blatant shit. "Black lies matter", "I fired all the bad cops". Like take some responsibility atleast, tell that things will be improved while acknowledging the good, fair and hard working police putting themselves at risk. It's also amazing how short the training/education for the police is in the States, takes like half a month? It's 3 years here, which includes one year of practical training.

Finnish police is quite competent. Now one chief has been locked up in recent years for corruption though and also some private Facebook group for police was found out, which contains stuff from anti-immigration to straight up unfiltered racism. But people don't need to be afraid of the police atleast.

Last edited:

Fauxpaw

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I wanted to ask. If he's making that comment based on the versus argument or not. If it's a comment based on the rate of deaths between races, then yes, it's a trend. Just wanted some clarification on which factor that poster is using.

When making the statement "very clear, obvious institutional trend of police killing unarmed black people", obviously this means what percentage of unarmed black people are killed compared to other races, especially whites. I'm pretty sure only Native Americans have it worse. If police killed all races evenly, then that poster wouldn't need to use the "black" descriptor.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Just the title of the video makes me want to vomit.

Oh, and as someone with a legal background let me impart this bit of advice.

NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE UNLESS YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER!

Otherwise you keep it polite but remember that they are looking to arrest someone. They don't care about your explanation. They will trip and distort your words later on. Tell them nothing. Make them prove everything.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Arguing in bad faith.
When making the statement "very clear, obvious institutional trend of police killing unarmed black people", obviously this means what percentage of unarmed black people are killed compared to other races, especially whites. I'm pretty sure only Native Americans have it worse. If police killed all races evenly, then that poster wouldn't need to use the "black" descriptor.
While I appreciate the mind reading and knowing what someone else meant, I'll politely wait until that person replies. I just wanted clarification so to not misunderstand what that person meant and reply back to them with misinformation on my part.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
The police is an institution bent on protecting society's interests.

If your interests don't line up with the status quo...

Fauxpaw

Oct 25, 2017
While I appreciate the mind reading and knowing what someone else meant, I'll politely wait until that person replies. I just wanted clarification so to not misunderstand what that person meant and reply back to them with misinformation on my part.

It's not "mind-reading", but we all know how you like to do the song and dance and not actually listen to anyone.