BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
DxE7FsiUYAAcU9L.jpg:large

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...h-nihilism-all-our-graves-go-unattended-vgtrn

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ashamed to admit hat I haven't been to Calvin Coolidge's grave, but whenever I do go there, I'll be sure to visit silently

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Clark Gable doesn't make the news anymore but he's still famous. A lot of ill-gotten fame these days could use a good dying out though.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's pretty sobering. If Conan is having existential thoughts, us mere mortals who don't even have a TV show will be forgotten after 2nd generation.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
You just have to be as good as Shakespeare and people will remember you daily for hundreds of years and still going strong.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From the full NY Times interview

The big thing I wanted to do was pull the audience closer and make it like a cool, fun place to do comedy that you might find in Los Feliz or that the Upright Citizens Brigade might have. I wanted it to have a little bit of that compressed feeling, and I like having the audience right there. It feels less presentational in the old-school way.

Seems like the new version of the show will have a much smaller set. I always thought Conan's TBS and Tonight Show sets were way too big for him. It diluted his energy. I loved Late Night with Conan O'Brien. The smaller stage there served him better.

Oct 26, 2017
That realization is what helps me keep warding off my depression. In the end it is all meaningless, and I find that insanely comforting.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Our name will only be an echo in the wind, there's no greater liberty than the thought that you really don't matter and that you can do what you want.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have this thought all the time... which is why I will never be buried or put anywhere. You will have a generation, maybe two... then you're just there, a name and no one remembers you or what you did, or who you were. You can go dark, real quick on that thought... but I'm with him that ultimately, for 99.9% of us, the whole thing is "meaningless" in that our individual outcomes shape the generations we're in, but nothing after. Your story is done, you're just taking up space.

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I have this thought all the time... which is why I will never be buried or put anywhere. You will have a generation, maybe two... then you're just there, a name and no one remembers you or what you did, or who you were. You can go dark, real quick on that thought... but I'm with him that ultimately, for 99.9% of us, the whole thing is "meaningless" in that our individual outcomes shape the generations we're in, but nothing after. Your story is done, you're just taking up space.

My gravestone will read: "I'LL BE BACK!"

Everyone's gonna remember me.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for the good people who get caught up in feeling small and powerless, that they go their entire lives in a panic trying to leave some mark on the world. If it happens, it happens. Chances are, it wont. I'm so grateful to have my life, my memories, my little family. That's all more than enough for me, personally. All I ask is that I can get the most out of my small, short and meaningless existence.

Oct 31, 2017
I feel bad for the good people who get caught up in feeling small and powerless, that they go their entire lives in a panic trying to leave some mark on the world. If it happens, it happens. Chances are, it wont. I'm so grateful to have my life, my memories, my little family. That's all more than enough for me, personally. All I ask is that I can get the most out of my small, short and meaningless existence.

I'd love to leave even a little Mark on the world, but I have told myself over the years that if I don't, and only my friends remember me and family, I'm not going to know anyway. So just enjoy while it lasts and what happens happens. I could have just not existed.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Conan will always be a trivia footnote hundreds of years from now. At least he will be remembered by those hardcore early 21st century TV nerds out there.

More than 99.999% of us can hope for.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You can get technical about scientific advancement and whatnot, but for most of the population this true.

And that's ok. It's nothing to be sad about, like he says. You make the most of every day you're on this planet, whether that's learning, building a career, or just plain playing video games. Be happy you got to experience Into the Spiderverse or Bloodborne or your relationships. Life is what you make of it and nothing more, nothing less.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
On an infinite scale of time and space, he's right of course. But there are people who have been dead for thousands of years whose names we still know and whose works we still enjoy on some level. Very few people can reach that status, of course. And no one is literally hanging out at Plato's "grave," but he's still a very important figure in history that we still learn about today.

That said, are kids in 2500 years going to be learning about Conan O'Brien? Probably not.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to leave even a little Mark on the world, but I have told myself over the years that if I don't, and only my friends remember me and family, I'm not going to know anyway. So just enjoy while it lasts and what happens happens. I could have just not existed.

Yep. I can just hope to pass on whatever good my children can take from me, have them refine it and keep doing the same until it stops.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I always think of Asimovs Foundation Trilogy, and how it was far enough in the future that no one even remembered where humanity came from.

The entire Earth will someday be a forgotten relic.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I can just hope to pass on whatever good my children can take from me, have them refine it and keep doing the same until it stops.

I mean, you have an impact on something, somewhere, all the time. Even a hermit leaves something behind when they die, and that has some kind of effect down the line.

Your changes probably won't be credited to your name generations from now, but they'll still be felt somehow.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
If I ever see Calvin Coolidge's grave, I'll be sure to piss on it.

Racist piece of shit.

Conan is right too.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all about his podcast. He does so well in that space. I'll remember him as having the show I cared most about as far as talk shows go.