Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming stock availability, of course.

Been shopping for a 6800XT and I appreciate the design and ease of Radeon's software, but the gains and quality from DLSS look fantastic and I've gotta expect that this will make its way into more games unless matching console feature-set takes priority.

For my situation, I have a 3070 on order and am curious if it'd be a better value by holding out for a 6000-series or even a 3080.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
yes, DLSS is crazy tech and definitely worth investing in imo. AMD will need to introduce their own solution soon to keep up.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Tbh at this point yes as many bigger recent releases have supported it and more will to come.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
If the next switch has DLSS built-in, it's going to be a game changer

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Just as a casual observer, while DLSS seems really cool it also seems that it's greatest utility is in making raytracing at higher framerates a reality. Given that AMD isn't there yet with raytracing, if that isn't a priority for you it seems like a Radeon card would be fine. I think AMD has also claimed some sort of increased optimization that you can take advantage of if you pair an AMD CPU + GPU, though I don't recall what exactly the optimization is for. Personally I'm shooting for an RTX card and an AMD CPU, whenever they become widely available.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
yes, DLSS is crazy tech and definitely worth investing in imo. AMD will need to introduce their own solution soon to keep up.
Radeon are apparently working with API developers for a universal hardware agnostic solution... Basically Gsync vs Freesync again where AMD will use an industry standard but Nvidia will keep pushing their proprietary offering.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
DLSS is what made me go through with my 3070 purchase over one of the AMD cards. RTX is cool as well but DLSS definitely made that sale.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bigger than ray tracing. It's the holy grail of gaming. Free performance for the same visuals.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
The fact that unreal engine is embracing it is a major win for Nvidia. It truly is worth the Nvidia Tax.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Radeon are apparently working with API developers for a universal hardware agnostic solution... Basically Gsync vs Freesync again where AMD will use an industry standard but Nvidia will keep pushing their proprietary offering.

AMD can call me when they have nailed it then.

Meanwhile DLSS is the black magic I'll be using because it works very well.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Just as a casual observer, while DLSS seems really cool it also seems that it's greatest utility is in making raytracing at higher framerates a reality. Given that AMD isn't there yet with raytracing, if that isn't a priority for you it seems like a Radeon card would be fine. I think AMD has also claimed some sort of increased optimization that you can take advantage of if you pair an AMD CPU + GPU, though I don't recall what exactly the optimization is for. Personally I'm shooting for an RTX card and an AMD CPU, whenever they become widely available.

it greatest utility is that it enables more titles to get to 60-120fps if it's involved raytracing or not.

There sam feature will be put on nvidia cards soon and rage mode doesn't really have any gains.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
DLSS is magic, and at least for me is even worth it when not using RT, high framrates while running at optimized settings. Now my 2070s is still brought to it's knees on Cyberpunk, but that has more to do with it not having enough RT cores.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
DLSS is fucking rad. I don't know how it works as well as it does but it does and it's incredible. They even have another revision coming out which is supposed to, somehow, be even better.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
AMD can call me when they have nailed it then.

Meanwhile DLSS is the black magic I'll be using because it works very well.
Oh, I never meant that someone shouldn't buy Nvidia, just that AMD's offering will be longer coming since it involves getting various other entities all moving together as opposed to making something quickly that's proprietary and requires custom coding to work. We all know very few games would use AMD's offering if it were proprietary.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The value of DLSS is too large to ignore imo. It's the difference between locking Cyberpunk to 30 fps and being able to play at 60 fps on my 2070 Super.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Among many other features like this, I would not spend anything on an AMD card unless it was seriously discounted vs the equivalent Nvidia card.

DLSS is legit magic.

If you're like SUPER, SUPER sensitive to image quality, you might not like it, though. I'm quite sensitive, but I really do have to look for the "artifacts" with DLSS on. Nothing any more serious than other temporal SS or AA type things in the past, though in my opinion.

It's apparently not really comparable according to digital foundry. Doesn't use AI hardware at all and something similar to TAA

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Its impressive tech, and its something I would want in my GPU, but very few games actually use it. Its a game changer for the few games it does work with though, the 2.0 implementation mainly, earlier versions just made the games blurry.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
It's very important, as it's a catch-all solution. Right now we're using pre-trained models to get the upscaling.

There will be a time when you 'll be able to "train" DLSS on your own. It's just a matter of computing power.

EDIT: maybe not "just" that simple...but we're going to get there.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
It's really awesome. I went with an Nvidia GPU this gen.

That said, the new AMD cards seem very impressive. Smart Access Memory is a super cool feature.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It's apparently not really comparable according to digital foundry. Doesn't use AI hardware at all and something similar to TAA
I thought that was something completely different.

I know Microsoft have been experimenting with DirectML Machine Learning Super Resolution for the Series X and S, but I wasn't aware that AMD had announced that was the platform agnostic solution they were talking about.

Last edited:

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing the newest cod and my fps goes from ~100 to 160-170 frames with dlss.

It's really good.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
It'll for sure extend the longevity of the cards that have it. Each yeah more and more games are supporting it so I would say absolutely.

Oct 27, 2017
If you have any interest in Ray Tracing at all then yes DLSS is important but just be prepared as you'll in most cases sacrifice image quality when using it to get acceptable performance w/RT.

As someone with a 3070 I'd say hold off for a 3080 at least especially if gaming at anything above a 2560x1440 res.

Techno