Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Well I started Secret Wars years ago on floppies when it first came out having zero context. It is so much more satisfying having context to everything having read all the buildup to it. This Hickman run has been amazing. Btw any of the battle worlds/tie ins worth reading?. I remember reading some of them but first thing I'm gonna read after I finish Secret Wars is Ms Marvel.
A lot of them are fun but your mileage may vary based on interest. Ones I liked

Secret Love
Attilan Rising
Thors
Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders
A-Force
Siege
M.O.D.O.K. Assassin
Giant-sized Little Avengers vs X-men
Old Man Logan
Infinity Gauntlet

I don't remember what other ones I read (and liked)

Oh yeah I read Planet Hulks, but I can't remember if I liked or not just that it was super goddamned weird
wow

Eh, its really up to you if any of them look appealing. The only one I would read is the Old Man Logan one, ONLY if you plan on reading the on-going that launched after.
Bruh Thors is like, 100% necessary for Aaron's Thor run

Last edited:

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I liked the "Detective #26" story from Morrison/Burnham today.

One of my favorite ideas from Morrison's Batman run was that the entire history of the character from Detective Comics #27 onwards happened. It mattered. It's all part of the character's DNA. He doesn't just reference that numerous times throughout his run in flash backs and flash forwards, but he takes bits and pieces from Batman's entire comic history(including the parts readers tend to forget or even embarrassed by) and he embraces them, like the Batman TV show of the 60s or the Club of Heroes from the 1950s. The different styles and tones and story structures throughout his run demonstrated how versatile the character of Batman is, in that you can fit him into any kind of adventure and he still works.

"Detective #26" goes one step further and says that even the comics BEFORE Batman's first appearance are canon as well, and they are a part of his legacy. The story's point of view is filtered through the Silver Ghost, who on one level isn't too far away from the Grey Ghost, the vigilante who inspired Bruce in the 90s Animated Series. But on another level he's part of a generation of pulp heroes who evolved out of the old hero archetypes, the type of characters who can have many adventures again and again. Characters such as Zorro, the Lone Ranger, Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Phantom, and Sherlock Holmes were created because it made a perfect story vehicle for more content. You don't have to invent a whole scenario and reason for why Sherlock Holmes gets involved with another mystery; his whole reason for existence is to keep finding more adventures to get into.

And then comes Batman, breaking through the window in Detective Comics #27. The Ultimate Synthesis of all those hero characters. The jack of all trades. He's James Bond and the Shadow and Indiana Jones and Sherlock Holmes all rolled into one. He's not just a hero; he's a Superhero. And he, and the entire lineage of superheros that followed, immediately and irreversibly rendered guys like Silver Ghost old fashioned and irrelevant. After Detecetive Comics #27, how can you go back the old guys? The way Sherlock Holmes and the Lone Ranger replaces the random cowboys and detectives of genre fiction, the Batman has replaced them. And his character has proven so versatile, that in the 80 years since, nobody has replaced him.

It's a very fun, meta coda, both critical about the superhero domination of genre fiction but also celebratory of Batman's longevity. A perfect short story for an anniversary issue and plays excitingly well with Morrison's big themes about the character.
I'm very interested in reading this story but I'm pretty much only interested in this one among the 144 pages or something

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cosmic Ghost Rider has a figure and it's cool so I got it at the comic shop I went to, plus a Vegeta and a SNES TMNT Michelangelo.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Since the Comixology sale is so steep, I grabbed the Legends of the Dark Knight books for Alan Davis and Norm Breyfogle on Comixology. I've only read a handful of Batman stories before TDKR so it'll be fun to go through these.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
I love me my asshole paranoid Beast.

Out of all the original X-Men, Iceman's the only one that hasn't gone bad/ morally ambiguous.

Get to it, Marvel!

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since the Comixology sale is so steep, I grabbed the Legends of the Dark Knight books for Alan Davis and Norm Breyfogle on Comixology. I've only read a handful of Batman stories before TDKR so it'll be fun to go through these.
O damn guess I should complete the Snyder run. Looks a lot cheaper than the last time I saw them on sale.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about it, and it's absurd how badly planned this DC event is. From Justice-Doom War to JL: HA to DM, and apparently the Justice League comic still ties into it. It's an event with three different climaxes. This is a mess.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

I had no idea there were that many Wolverine issues. Damn them for going back and forth between legacy numbering. They should just do issue run numbers with legacy numbers below in smaller text all the time or something. Better yet, legacy number on the back or inside cover... but collectors wouldn't like that.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The Secret Wars tie-in for Ms. Marvel is actually the best thing GWW has ever written, and I'm glad she got the excuse to push Kamala to the edge and deal with a crisis way out of her comfort zone. And the "her mom always knew and still loves and supports her" scene still makes me tear up whenever I read it, even if it's super cliche.

I know some people prefer the lackadaisical "teen hero doing teen hero stuff" storylines, and I'm a fan too, but I think both it and the CW2 tie-ins were great ways to mess with the formula and grow Kamala as a character.
Too bad her parents forgot her identity twice

Both writers make great stories about discovering her identity being and accepting and then forget again

I'm thinking about it, and it's absurd how badly planned this DC event is. From Justice-Doom War to JL: HA to DM, and apparently the Justice League comic still ties into it. It's an event with three different climaxes. This is a mess.
I stopped paying much attention

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well think I have all of the Snyder Batman run. Followed what Teenage Fansub mentioned last month and got all the trades 3-10 and issue #12 individually.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
super excited for Slaughterhouse-5 and then i forgot to upgrade shipping for my IST order so i guess I'll just wait a month

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a Mueller Report OGN that comes out this week lol

www.comixology.com

The Mueller Report: Graphic Novel - Comics by comiXology

It's the greatest WHODUNIT of our time... or a new low for Presidential Harassment! Shannon Wheeler, Eisner Award-winning New Yorker cartoonist (Too Much Coffee Man, Sh*t My President Says, God is Disappointed in You), and veteran journalist Steve Duin (The Oregonian, Comics: Between the...

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

I had no idea there were that many Wolverine issues. Damn them for going back and forth between legacy numbering. They should just do issue run numbers with legacy numbers below in smaller text all the time or something. Better yet, legacy number on the back or inside cover... but collectors wouldn't like that.

lol, they are bringing back Maverick

Maverick-Marvel-Comics-X-Men-Christoph-Nord-North.jpg

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Well I started Secret Wars years ago on floppies when it first came out having zero context. It is so much more satisfying having context to everything having read all the buildup to it. This Hickman run has been amazing. Btw any of the battle worlds/tie ins worth reading?. I remember reading some of them but first thing I'm gonna read after I finish Secret Wars is Ms Marvel.

Thors is super awesome.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame because all but 1 have been incredible especially artistically
I've enjoyed it for the most part, but now I'm just feeling less compelled to pick them up, and they're becoming those books you I just to get finished with. I really would have preferred if these were a regular format comic instead of nothing but the 2-page spreads.
Are they getting worse since joining Gamesradar, or were they always like this?
Yeah, I really don't like Newsarama since they were acquired. Are there still any decent comic news sites left?
This is the best thing I've ever seen
I love how she wrote a fairly long article on the whole theory and Tynion shredded it in two words.

There are more girls there than last time!
Meanwhile Al Ewing CW2:

95trdh.jpg
Does.....does that guy have a butthole for a face?!
Cosmic Ghost Rider has a figure and it's cool so I got it at the comic shop I went to, plus a Vegeta and a SNES TMNT Michelangelo.
Is it the Kotobukiya one? I think Psychbat bought it too. I almost pulled the trigger on it a few times but ultimately I don't usually dip into anything below 1/8 scale.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed it for the most part, but now I'm just feeling less compelled to pick them up, and they're becoming those books you I just to get finished with. I really would have preferred if these were a regular format comic instead of nothing but the 2-page spreads.

Yeah, I really don't like Newsarama since they were acquired. Are there still any decent comic news sites left?

I love how she wrote a fairly long article on the whole theory and Tynion shredded it in two words.

There are more girls there than last time!

Does.....does that guy have a butthole for a face?!

Is it the Kotobukiya one? I think Psychbat bought it too. I almost pulled the trigger on it a few times but ultimately I don't usually dip into anything below 1/8 scale.

I dunno but it cost $70 and came with a sweet bike for the figure.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Thanos has been dead for more than two years! It'll be two and a half when he comes back in Eternals. Can't believe it's been that long..
I don't even remember what happened with him in Cates' GotG. He was coming back by having sent his consciousness to another person people suspected would be Gamora, that didn't happen, _________, and then it was hinted at that he was returning soon? Help me fill in that gap.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even remember what happened with him in Cates' GotG. He was coming back by having sent his consciousness to another person people suspected would be Gamora, that didn't happen, _________, and then it was hinted at that he was returning soon? Help me fill in that gap.

Gamora kills Eros and Bill blows up the Thanos clone body.

Is Danny Cates' GOTG legit? 'Cus his Thanos and Cosmic Rider stuff was fucking awesome.

Not as good, but well worth reading. Make sure you check out Silver Surfer Black and the Guardians annual, too. They're incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.