Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Lately I've been drinking HEB's store brand Texas Pecan and lemme tell you… that shit is incredible. The best cheap coffee I have ever come across.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My go to beans for daily use (I have one cup a day) that aren't too expensive are the Colombian beans at Trader Joes (Used to be the Kenya AA before it got discontinued).

But I really recommend going to a local roaster and getting beans from there. I'm a big fan of Guatemalan and Ethiopian beans. And it's personal preference, but light beans > medium/dark roasts.

Crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I've dabbled in boutique and low-volume brands, flavored coffees... not my jam. I always go back to Lavazza Gold espresso beans eventually.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
My favorite right now is Costco's Organic Peru Medium Roast. 2lbs whole bean for $18. I grind it fresh for espresso. If you like body, then this may be your bean.

large_542b5e33-26f6-416f-85a0-84342024fb2c.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'm all about cold brew concentrates these day. This is a common one in my fridge:

cq5dam.web.1280.1280

It's honestly just really nice to instantly make a large cold brew in an insulated mug that will last me the day.

Edit: God damn that cutout image is clean. My post looks astroturfing as hell lol.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This is some fantastic coffee:

zekescoffee.com

Mexico Chiapas, 1 lb (16 oz)

The Federación de Sociedades Cooperativas Cafetaleras de la Sierra Madre FC de RL (FEDESI) is located in Chiapas, Mexico, and is composed of six coffee groups throughout many municipalities of Chiapas. Surrounded by the Sierra Madre mountains, their coffee is grown at high altitudes...

This one smells and tastes like blueberries:

traction.coffee

BURN SLOW ROASTED | SINGLE ORIGIN

We teamed up with our homies over at Burn Slow Ent. to create a rad collection of coffee & gear. Roasted....to the moon!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For takeout coffee, it's crazy how good Whole Food's Nitro Cold Brew is, for $4.00. It's really good. Unfortunately the Whole Foods is only on my way to work so I only get it occassionally. They also do promotions fairly often of like $2.00 if you're a Prime member.

I did one of those flash frozen cold brew company subscription things, and it's not bad:

Cometeer

These little metal K-cup sized frozen cold brew concentrate. They ship it to you, like 20 of them, and you drink one by letting it melt down and adding it to ice and water. One thing makes like 10-12oz of cold brew, and it's pretty good. I used to make my own cold brew but it was time consuming and took up a lot of space in the fridge, and so these are more convenient for saving space. The cost is fairly negligible to making cold brew at home, nominally more expensive, but the results are pretty good.

When I was doing cold brew at home, 90% of the time it was with a local coffee roaster from central MA. Their coffee is good, more expensive than a big company, but more convenient for me to get because it's sold at a lot of the stores I shop at.

OP
OP
Meauxse

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm all about cold brew concentrates these day. This is a common one in my fridge:

cq5dam.web.1280.1280

It's honestly just really nice to instantly make a large cold brew in an insulated mug that will last me the day.

Did go cold brew for a while for the acid reduction - and was great! But expensive at 10 bucks every 3-4 days. In retrospect, maybe not that expensive

And you texas folks - No HEBs in Louisiana - I wish! Doesn't look to be available online either.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Traffic Coffee Co. – Unique & Unrivaled Specialty Coffee

In search of incredible flavours, farms & the inspiring people that created them, we want to drink the best, & want you all along for the caffeinated voyage. Not just fuel. It's the catalyst of every great idea & the perfect pairing for any one of life's many pleasures. We are the superlative...

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
This. Love me some medicinal mushrooms + coffee. Lucky for me the the cafe that make this is up the street!

wundergroundcoffee.com

All Products - Ground, Instant, Teas, Boosters | Wunderground Coffee

Discover a world of goodness in Wunderground's collection. From craft-roasted ground coffees to instant coffees for when you're on the go, to soothing decaf teas and boosters, elevate your daily rituals and experience the power of mushrooms! Whether you're looking to improve anxiety symptoms...

517oRtXq0vL._SL1080_.jpg

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Any dark roast recommendations? Beans or K-cup options work fine.

I'm currently drinking Death Wish, dark roast. Said to be really strong. Its not bad but doesn't have that bitter taste I like.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried a ton of different brands. Right now I'm having Lavazza Classico whole bean which is pretty smooth.

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed starting a couple of years ago that Walmarts around here started carrying local (and by "local" I just mean within the state) roasteries' coffee in their stores. Actually fresh with roast dates within the last week or so. That was cool because otherwise where I live I always had to order online and incur shipping costs.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else grind their own?

JX-7-e1651814498481.jpg

I grind my own beans, but use a Baratza Virtuoso.

Also, for those not in the know, there is a Coffee OT
www.resetera.com

Coffee Thread - The ERA of continued caffeine addiction

When you wake up. When you get to work. When you have to study. When you're hanging out. It's the addiction we keep feeding, might as well make it taste great while we do it. How do you make it? What do you drink? What are your questions? There are no wrong answers. Some great detailed basics...

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else grind their own?

JX-7-e1651814498481.jpg
Always. It's so-so-so much better freshly ground. (I also have that same grinder).

Lately, I've been enjoying a local-to-me roastery, Topeca. Especially their Santa Ana blend

topecacoffee.com

Santa Ana Blend

Named after the volcano on which our family farms are situated, our Santa Ana Blend is one of our top sellers. We blend together coffees from our two farms, fincas Ayutepeque and el Manzano and lightly roast them to bring you a mild and sweet cup of goodness. You'll find sweet nutty flavors of...

GiveMeCoins

Sep 4, 2022
Roos Roast for those in the Midwest. Based in Ann Arbor. Lobster Butter will make you a believer if you crave a smooth dark roast

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't drink coffee but my wife loves it so I got her a subscription via Trade (www.drinktrade.com) two Christmases ago and she asked for it to continue another year. It's like $16 a bag if you buy 6 in advance. Here's a referral link that would benefit both parties, but happy to remove it if not allowed. http://s.trdcfe.me/63MRZD

Her favorites have been Airship from Buffalo, Sightglass from Toketee, Amsterdam from Joe Coffee and Stella from Boxcar.

qi17hc4ojyjrfaram0l9.png
yzunwaqvohkhpn2nqzdz.png
sighjyhliefukn8dygvd.png
qhehmtszqvvkcghgkvtq.png

Last edited:

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
For full disclosure, I'm by no means a coffee connoisseur and I am personally much more of a tea drinker. However, Darkwoods Coffee are my go to choice.

I especially recommend their Crow Tree blend:

Darkwood_ProductShots_June21_ByTomKahler_Lowres-3_750x.jpg

Last edited:

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I always recommend local roasters (this is my current go-to, although I go elsewhere if I want to try something they don't offer), and it's likely you have some nearby - while the cost may be a bit higher, a lot of them will also do things like free shipping if you're within a certain area, and the taste is no contest

as far as what types of beans, my personal recommendation is to find one that you're happy with as a "comfort food" and always keep it around. then just try new things! if you like them, you have something new you can rotate through - if you don't, you have your "comfort food" to fall back on. my personal comfort choice is light/medium-roast guatemalan, for what it's worth.

but ultimately, everyone's taste in coffee is different. there is certainly bad coffee, but there's no bad coffee region or process or roast level - you just have to find what works for you.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I've been liking Stumptown beans recently. But my go-tos are Trader Joe's Colombian and French Roast.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
I always get fresh beans from my local roaster. I've been really enjoying their Ethiopian Guji lately. Good stuff that's helping the yirgachef shortage go by lol.

Current setup is a baratza encore grinder and Aeropress that I've had for about 8 years. I use the James Hoffman method because it's easy and good.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I grind my own beans, but use a Baratza Virtuoso.

Also, for those not in the know, there is a Coffee OT
www.resetera.com

Coffee Thread - The ERA of continued caffeine addiction

When you wake up. When you get to work. When you have to study. When you're hanging out. It's the addiction we keep feeding, might as well make it taste great while we do it. How do you make it? What do you drink? What are your questions? There are no wrong answers. Some great detailed basics...

I'm the only one who drinks coffee in my house and I don't have the counter space for something like that. Plus, if I drink, it's like 2 cups a day and sometimes I can go a month before making up a new batch of coffee. Real nice grinder though!

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Chameleon cold brew coffee. Costco sells a gallon sized box of cold brew that has a 1:1 concentration so it makes about 2 gallons of coffee.

After spending several years making my own cold brew I said fuckit part way through the pandemic and switched to this boxed cold brew coffee and I haven't looked back.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a promo, I swear, but I really like Trade. They send new coffees based on my tastes and ratings. It's a little pricey, but worth it if you're super into trying new coffees.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
Oslo Coffee Roasters Thor house blend has been my go-to since I've found it a few years ago. I've tried a lot of boutique coffee beans over the years and never really loved any of it. Thor was the first one that I really like and its well balanced.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Idido Yirgacheffe from my local roaster. I usually just use an aeropress to make coffee, but will use a chemex on the weekends/whenever I feel like being fancy.

I uusally tell people who want to try "good" coffee for the first time to invest in a grinder, an aeropress, and try some fresh whole bean coffee from a local place.