• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It isn't entirely about combat, as we reveal more details that'll be clear. I'm confident it'll still scratch your 'racer' itch as well even though it isn't a traditional racing game.

This is good to hear. I imagine it's hard to balance a racing game no matter what its main focus may be when you have multiple classes of vehicles all with various speeds and sizes and strengths, and I know the rubber banding in motorstorm wasn't loved by many as a means to keep players in the thick of the action, often being called cheap. I personally didn't mind it since it kept races super adrenaline filled and exciting and honestly, I don't mind losing when losing is as fun as motorstorm was...

But I've just never been a big fan of modes in arcade racers that veer away from the core process of winning a race. I enjoy games that incorporate a "by whatever means" type element to that race structure, Whether it's sticking guns on your car (full auto) or power ups (blur/wipeout) or environmental takedowns (split/second) or car combat takedowns (burnout) or multi class/ multi route vehicular mayhem (motorstorm) or even tricks for boost systems (SSX/ freekstyle). But they always ultimately focused on winning the race.

Onrush right now sounds more like some of the trick based modes you'd see in Freekstyle or Pure. I'm sure that's a huge simplification and maybe you have more traditional racing modes in your game to balance out the non traditional aspects? I guess once we see more we'll have a better understanding? I do look forward to seeing more of it though.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The combat racing game that I'd love to see remastered is Test Drive Eve of Destruction. Damn, that game was (and still is, as it aged really well) fantastic, and I'd love to see some touches of it on Onrush. For me it was the best racing game on the original Xbox. Yes, better than Burnout, Forza, PGR, etc... Nobody gave a fuck about it back then, unfortunately.
I did! :O EoE was great, I wish it worked correctly on PCSX2, I'd love to replay it in high res.

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't entirely about combat, as we reveal more details that'll be clear. I'm confident it'll still scratch your 'racer' itch as well even though it isn't a traditional racing game.

That's fantastic news to hear combat racing games really don't interest me (with the exception of split/second that had a interesting and different spin on it), but if you can deliver something that has solid racing along side car combat you might just get me interested. I have to admit though I really hope you do still have a dedicated racing mode, multi-player racing games can be a aggressive crapfest at the best of times even without adding combat into the mix.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I see mud in that screenshot but I don't see ruts.

Rushy, will player cars leave mud ruts like MotorStorm that affect handling for other cars?

This was one of the coolest features of MotorStorm, I really hope it returns.

Edit: This looks great, btw, in day 1 regardless.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Not really feeling the style, but I would like to try it for sure. Wish it was coming to PC as well.

When I first saw info on this game I thought I was sure it said it's coming to PC as well. Now I'm not seeing any PC info, and a thing that says later on PC. Whatever happens I'll hold out for more info. Darnit, I won't be getting PS+ but I'll still play it offline if I have to get the PS4 version.

OEYtgmy.png

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'll surely give it a go. There aren't many arcaderacers nowadays and that makes me very sad :(

I would sell a kidney to play a sequel to Split/Second and BLUR. Damn, I still play these games because great gameplay never gets old.
Never forget.
giphy.gif

Edit: If we're talking about combat style in racers, I honestly don't think it gets much better than the original Blur. They nailed the balance in that title perfectly, you could play combat or actual racing or whatever and still have a chance of winning.

I miss Bizarre :(

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I want that amazing Evolution deforming mud! Motorstorm still has the best mud in the genre.

Rushy

Codemasters
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Wish it was coming to PC as well.
It is coming to PC, but we're a relatively small studio working on our first multi-platform game. So we're tackling the PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One & Xbox One X versions first before move on to the PC version - we'll be sure to make the most of the powerful PC hardware out there :)

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It is coming to PC, but we're a relatively small studio working on our first multi-platform game. So we're tackling the PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One & Xbox One X versions first before move on to the PC version - we'll be sure to make the most of the powerful PC hardware out there :)
Silly question: Given how dynamic EGO seems to be (even though ONRUSH doesn't use it), is there any likelihood of it coming to Switch down the track as well?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Happy to hear that, looks very interesting! I can wait for the PC version.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I appreciate your followup here. Thank you!

Fully understand your situation, been in similar ones myself - Take your time!

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I think those vehicle designs are off putting. I feel like they should be aiming to look cool, not like garish micro machines.

Rushy

Codemasters
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Silly question: Given how dynamic EGO seems to be (even though ONRUSH doesn't use it), is there any likelihood of it coming to Switch down the track as well?
I couldn't comment on the EGO engine as I'm not familiar with its intricacies. We've not had change to look at the Switch hardware so at this stage its impossible for us to know whether the game would scale well to the platform.

Any thoughts on VR support?
Having made a VR game before we know that ONRUSH would not make a good VR game. Its about high intensity speed, high impact collisions, huge verticality and fast action - its a recipe for a very uncomfortable VR experience.

Is this on Driveclub engine by any chance...? Looks similar.
This is a brand new multi-platform engine built from the ground up for ONRUSH.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
User has been warned: spreading misinformation as a fact.
I want that amazing Evolution deforming mud! Motorstorm still has the best mud in the genre.

Most of the people who worked on the first Motorstorm left to Media Molecule right after production ended.

We will never see that level of quality (and fun, because the gameplay was amazing in the first one considering the physics and simulation they translated in good car control) again.

Miss you Motorstorm

EDIT: Rushy, thanks for enlightened my stupid thought, I'm not sure why but I confused Alex Evans from Media Molecule with someone who gave a fantastic interview about how Motorstorm worked with different types of vehicles in 2007 about the gameplay and racing mechanics for IGN back in the day.

Mod edit: Please don't use the edit function to remove context from a warning/ban.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the people who worked on the first Motorstorm left to Media Molecule right after production ended.

We will never see that level of quality (and fun, because the gameplay was amazing in the first one considering the physics and simulation they translated in good car control) again.

Miss you Motorstorm
Oh I didn't know that, depressing if true, Motorstorm 1 is my favorite.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

You ever play Sega Rally Revo? Because that had what I believe to be the best mud in a racer (at least at the time). It actually shifted geometry and could hold resulting puddles.

Except for Pacific Rift, which was vastly superior and the height of the franchise.

Pacific Rift was great (all MotorStorm games were imo, including Apocalypse), but the original remains my favourite by far. I feel it sold the whole concept best, and leaned the heaviest on terrain physics. The sequels felt increasingly flatter and more stable to drive. In the original you truly felt like you were fighting the environment.

Last edited:

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
We are inching ever closer to that first Motorstorm video, with all of its crazy mud and vehicular destruction.

This will be a fun little romp.

Rushy

Codemasters
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
UK

Miss you Motorstorm
That is ENTIRELY false.

No-one in the history of Evolution Studios ever left to join Media Molecule, and nearly all of the original MotorStorm team stayed on to work on Pacific Rift and many more beyond.

In-fact most of the core MotorStorm team members are still with us now at Codemasters over 10 years later.

Please don't spread your lies and misinformation.

Pixis

Oct 31, 2017
I absolutely loved the original Motorstorm; it was, in fact, the game that convinced me to go out and buy a PS3 after I saw some off-screen images of it a few weeks after the PS3 launched. When I did finally get my hands on it I loved it and it quickly became one of my favourite games of that generation.

Greatly looking forward to this!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
That is ENTIRELY false.

No-one in the history of Evolution Studios ever left to join Media Molecule, and nearly all of the original MotorStorm team stayed on to work on Pacific Rift and many more beyond.

In-fact most of the core MotorStorm team members are still with us now at Codemasters over 10 years later.

Yeah wondered why as a follower of Evolution studios since the WRC days that I hadn't heard that before. Jakartalado, you should probably edit that ASAP.

Pacific Rift was great (all MotorStorm games were imo, including Apocalypse), but the original remains my favourite by far. I feel it sold the whole concept best, and leaned the heaviest on terrain physics. The sequels felt increasingly flatter and more stable to drive. In the original you truly felt like you were fighting the environment.

Pacific rift - flat?

t8RrwFt.gif

To each his own, but there was absolutely nothing flat about PR. It had massive levels multiple times the size of the levels of those in MS1, and with dynamic stage-appropriate elements. It also had double the number of tracks (16 from 8). I agree there is something uniquely awesome about MS1 - sort of small and intimate - but to me it's hard to argue MSPR didn't improve on it in every way. From what we've seen from onrush, the former Evo team looks to be getting back to that style, but I guess we'll see more today!

Back on topic, Gonna go ahead and directly link that new screen too:

DUyRvqEU8AAEn7G.jpg:large

Last edited:
OP
OP
ODD

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
I see you guys talking about Motorstorm and how great it was and I feel kind of bed for not having played since I had just an Xbox back then. The only Evo game I've played was Driveclub, which is amazing, BTW. I just wish that there was long championships in Driveclub, something like *point-to-point world tour* with all point-to-point tracks in sequence, for example, or even a behemoth championship with all tracks available, like *you start at Chile and race at all the locations there. The next leg os Canada* and so on, or at least a championship creator tool. I'm not a fan of micro championships. They make the game feel kind of shallow. I like to go deep, like they do with Formula One, for example. I'm really happy that the guys from Evo landed on Codemasters, which is my favorite studio. I have a feeling that Onrush will surprise a lot of people.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That is ENTIRELY false.

Thank you! Boarding the hype train again ;)

thehorror

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Eagerly awaiting the news. Evo having put out the best racers I've ever played in my life (all 3 Motorstorms on PS3, and Driveclub), I have faith that this'll be another classic. Probably will have to double on 2 different day 1's though... :/ ps4/pc

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Pacific rift - flat?

To each his own, but there was absolutely nothing flat about PR. It had massive levels multiple times the size of the levels of those in MS1, and with dynamic stage-appropriate elements. It also had double the number of tracks (16 from 8). I agree there is something uniquely awesome about MS1 - sort of small and intimate - but to me it's hard to argue MSPR didn't improve on it in every way. From what we've seen from onrush, the former Evo team looks to be getting back to that style, but I guess we'll see more today!

I've not referring to the layouts themselves. More the handling/physics model. In Pacific Rift (and even moreso Apocalypse) the vehicles are far more stable under any comparable terrain condition. Jumps and banks the you make without a second thought in the later games would potentially leave you rolling into disaster in the original. It was honestly one of the first things that stood out to me when I went from play the first game to Pacific Rift. I felt almost invincible by comparison.

There are a lot of ways Pacific Rift does improve on the original, but it's definitely not an "in every way" situation like something like Soul Calibur would be. This is more of a Rage Racer vs Type 4 kind of conversation. The original game and Pacific Rift are different enough, that it's not unlikely for someone to prefer to original simply for its style. Pacific Rift (and especially Apocalyse) felt more in line with other arcade racers, whereas the original MotorStorm felt (and still feels) almost wholly unique.

EmJayJay

Oct 27, 2017
Question for the dev/rep guy:

Will the game have splitscreen support on any platform? Will the PC version have stupid DRM? I liked the splitscreen in Motorstorm very much. Was fun with friends.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That is ENTIRELY false.

Rushy, thanks for enlightened my stupid head, I'm not sure why but I confused Alex Evans from Media Molecule with someone who gave a fantastic interview about how Motorstorm worked with different types of vehicles in 2007 about the gameplay and racing mechanics for IGN.

Already deleted the comment and I'm sorry for any troubles that I may have caused.

And I'm really excited about what's coming next from Evolution Team. Despite not liking that much Pacific Rift and Apocalypse, Driveclub still lives in my heart S2.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Really like what I'm seeing, except the title. I think it's a bad title. Perhaps it'll grow on me.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Offering pre-orders so early on is sorta...I dunno. I was hoping for more info on the game. I'd love to see some HUDless footage from normal play angles just to see how it all comes together.

OP
OP
ODD

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
230 Reais for the standard edition here in Brazil. That's around 75 US Dollars, sigh... At least on PC the games from Codemasters are priced more sensibly. Being a console gamer stinks in this shithole country.

Edit: 326 Reais for the Digital Deluxe Edition. That's 105 US Dollars.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if troll or not, however being able to pre-order isn't my idea of BIG news.

i would have thought we'd get a new gameplay trailer to go alongside it so we knew what we were actually pre-ordering lol

EDIT: £64.99 *spits out tea* christ on a bike. how is digital even gaining ground with prices like that?