Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnet.com/news/forget-ne...-0M&utm_source=reddit.com#ftag=COS-05-10aaa0i

I am here to tell you something that runs counter to decades of cultural programming. I am here to make your brain hurt. I am here to create a cognitive dissonance so dense your brain will short circuit and implode beneath the sheer weight of how wrong you've been all these years.

I'm talking about going to the cinema. During the day.

Alone.

Just try it. It will change your life for the better.

Right now you might think differently. You might think, as I once did, that going to the cinema by yourself is an activity for elderly gentlemen in flat caps and body warmers. Retired ladies of leisure armed with precisely made triangle sandwiches and warm flasks of peppermint tea. But you're wrong. You've never been more wrong.

In 2019, going to the cinema by yourself in the cold light of day is the purest of magical pursuits. If you're not already doing it, you're denying yourself one of life's secret pleasures.

Please listen.

For years you may have believed that the cinema day trip is the sole realm of the "weirdo". A hidey-hole for society's misbegotten tribe of undesirables. That approaching the box office, head bowed, and saying "just one ticket please" is a modern-day "walk of shame".

I understand this. In my mid-teens especially I felt it. Back in the mid-'90s when I started going to the cinema by myself I was a spotty-faced, troubled kid who bore the weight of this mentality. I absolutely felt the pull of the solo cinema day trip, but also the shame. Not quite secure in my own (bad) skin, I'd awkwardly buy the ticket, sit in the back row, avoid eye contact and cower in the dark, skittishly scanning the cinema to see if I was the only loser who'd come to watch The Phantom Menace on his lonesome.

It felt weird. The world made it feel weird. My friends gave me grief, even my parents thought it was strange. But despite how awkward it made me feel, it was always one of those "something wrong shouldn't feel so good" situations.

Later in life, I became more confident about it. After high school I travelled a lot overseas, alone. I worked in New York as a waiter, in Japan as a teacher. I would often go to the cinema to kill time waiting for buses or flights, or as an escape from bad service jobs taken to make ends meet.

The cinema day trip feels like skipping school. Going to the cinema at night, with a date or a rowdy horde of friends, is business as usual. It's what you're supposed to do. It's practically a job in and of itself. Going to the cinema during the day feels like a much-needed vacation from the harsh realities of real life. Like calling in sick from work, a tiny pointless rebellion. A sly indulgence. Day drinking without the evening hangover.

When I was a teenager I went to the cinema to hide, essentially. From exams, pressure, the zit on my forehead. As a 37-year-old man it's more like a release valve. From mortgages, Trump, global warming, trolls on Twitter, my noisy overbearing children.

It's a beautiful thing. The movie finishes. You emerge bleary-eyed. It should be night-time, but no. Broad daylight. Because you forgot you went into the cinema at 1 p.m., not 9 p.m. What a joyous discovery. It's 3:30 p.m. and the rest of the day is yours to own and you've already seen Aquaman or Green Book or whatever degenerative garbage you've spent the last two hours vegging out to.

It's like waking up early and going to the gym. Without the exercise. Win the morning, win the day. You are an inspired human being and you stride purposefully toward the sun. Time to go home and write that novel, finish that script, buy an easel and take up oil painting. You know what? I will apply to medical school.

Movies seen during the day feel different. Nowadays, default daytime consumption of media is the "binge", accompanied by the "second screen" and perennial veneer of brain twisting anxiety. A mind-numbing, multitasking hellscape that has you mainlining Netflix while live-tweeting your third rewatch of Mad Men in a pair of loosely fitted jogging pants eating an oversized bowl of Lucky Charms.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I went to see Searching towards the end of its run and we were the only people there. It was great. Smuggled in some fried chicken.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm all for going to the theater early in the day, but who will I talk to about the movie afterwards? 🤔

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I've only done this once, but it was a chill time

If I had a theater in walking distance, I'd go solo more often

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never went alone until those couple of glorious months of movie pass before it quickly went to shit.

The highlight was falling asleep during Alien Covenant. I guarantee I had a better time than anyone else in the theater.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correction going to the cinema alone that serves alcohol and food with recliners is life's greatest guilty pleasure...especially when you have kids!

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I do this once a week when I can't be arsed to ask anyone to go with me to see something like Blindspotting.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've only done this once, but it was a chill time

If I had a theater in walking distance, I'd go solo more often

A long time ago I worked a shift from 4pm to 1am. Whenever I wanted to see a movie I would go before work by myself-it was a delight. Nice and quiet and clean.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Could not agree more. It's actually pretty great.

I go with friends or dates from time to time, but I often just go alone on a whim. If I have nothing going on one night, or really want to see something. I did it with Happy Death Day 2U after a family dinner on Saturday night. I had to go shopping anyways.

I felt awkward and guilty at first, when I started doing it years ago, but now it doesn't phase me.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really buy into the "it's only 3:30 you got the whole day ahead of you!" line since I prefer to watch movies at night, but it's hard to deny the appeal of going to a matinee and having less than a quarter of the theater full.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my wife went to a movie theater during a weekday, there were 10 people in the theater. It was STILL an awful experience because a woman and (I assume) her mother who were in their 40's and 60's respectively would not shut up and sing along to background music and everything else.

Mind you, it's not like we're sitting next to them. They just assumed that because there were only a few people there that they could be as annoying as they wanted.

Know where this doesn't happen? At home when I watch Netflix. People will ruin the experience no matter how many or how few there are.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I love going to the theater. Unfortunately, other people treat it like they're at home watching Netflix...

Going solo is fun sometimes too.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always do this, I even ask my wife to let me do this 1 thing just by myself. It's more about giving myself time away from people

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I usually go alone if it's something my gf doesn't want to see. Sorting with friends takes ages and usually ends up being a peak time showing full of dick heads who can't stay quiet for 5 minutes. Going to late showings alone on a weeknight is so much better.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this reminds me of that BBC journalist who just recently discovered you could make your own sandwiches

shits obvious

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I miss the too good to be true phase of Moviepass. I had to see most movies like this to get all I could out of it. Before it felt lame to buy a lone ticket. Now movies in the theater are super rare for me.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I remember seeing Return of the Long alone because I didn't want to be bothered by anyone and wanted to experience the glory all for myself. Just kidding, no one wanted to go with me but I'll be dammed if I was missing that movie in theatres!

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
floggin' the dolphin and then promptly doing a gator roll in the hotel sheets is life's guiltiest pleasure

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Whenever I go to the movies by myself, I have conversations about the movie with myself out loud and that's not a cool sight for other people. What's the point of going to cinema if I can't have discussions about the movies, even it's with myself?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the only thing i hate about this article is like he assumes you can go whenever you want on a mid day showing

i gotta work man, and aint wasting a vacation day on going to the movies alone

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I could live without going to the theater ever again my entire life. Prices remind me of a baseball game, and of course the food, too. Just blehx10. Luckily I always bring a backpack on the extremely rare occasions that I do go.

Still have 2 gold tickets to AMC theater, no expiration, and in completely no rush to go. Have had them for about 5 years now lol

Digital movies are winning, me thinks.

Oct 29, 2017
I've never understood the stigma against going to the movies alone. Watching a movie at a theater is not a social experience, other than for the general atmosphere. But somehow you're expected to have a person sitting next to you or else it's odd? IDK.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to the movies before noon is great. Less people and cheaper tickets.

Oct 27, 2017
the only thing i hate about this article is like he assumes you can go whenever you want on a mid day showing

i gotta work man, and aint wasting a vacation day on going to the movies alone

When i lived right by a movie theater i would go on sunday morning. Just roll out of bed and go to the first showing, which was usually 10:00 or 10:30. There was nobody there and when i left i almost had my whole sunday ahead of me still.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Have a theater like a five minute walk from my apartment. Go solo all the time.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes it's great. I only wish I was more into this in my youth when a late run theater was down the street.

Oct 25, 2017
I love going to the movies with the missus, or a group of mates, or my brother (with whom I watch all the Marvel movies).

I also really love going on my own.

We'll go to a Star Wars premiere as a group, and then maybe a week later I'll just go again on my own. It's fucking great.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I went to Alita yesterday, at an IMAX. No one to my left or right. Arm space for days. Felt like I. was floating in this imagined world. Perfect.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
This is weird? I do it quite a bit. Especially for indie and art house films where I can't find anyone to go with me. It's not like it's eating at a sit down restaurant alone...

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I've always enjoyed going to the movies by myself; I remember being so surprised when someone told me that it was weird and they'd never done anything like that before.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, the people who sit in the dark and do talk are the ones always sitting behind me.

giphy.gif