Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
It's very easy to talk about your favorite episodes from the classic seasons of The Simpsons, and when talking about bad episodes it's also easy to say "Anything after (Insert Last Classic Season here)". But what are those episodes from the classic years that really make you go "Eh" and change the channel whenever they show up?

First, I'm not defining a specific timeline for what's "Classic" and what isn't. I personally think Season 9 is the last classic season since it has aged surprisingly well, but I know some people go down to 7 or 8, and even 6. Some people also don't consider Season 1 to be "Classic". So take what you consider the peak moments of the show and pick your least favorite episodes.

"Homer Vs. Patty & Selma" from season 6 is probably the earliest episode that I can't say I care about. It has some funny moments, but most of it feels very dull, with long scenes with little payback (like the bit with Mel Brooks and the whole Bart subplot).

Season 8 has two episodes that never stood out to me in "The Canine Mutiny" and "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson". First one is really bizarre in the sense that I just don't buy Bart giving SLH away so easily, based on what's established in the series prior. Second one is just there, there's very little for me to comment on because there's hardly much about it that stands out.

I'll probably do a few more examples later, but what about you, ERA?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Season 8 is not classic Simpsons. Calling S7 classic is a stretch, but allowable for the presence of Who Shot Mr Burns Pt2 and Hank Scorpio.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Any episode where Lisa is the focus. So, the episode with the substitute teacher, or Bleeding Gums Murphy, etc. are skipped. Lisa Simpson is an insufferable character, and completely unbelievable.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I was never that fond of Lisa-centric episodes, she worked better as a side character rather than as the focus. There is some good ones still.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Season 8 is not classic Simpsons. Calling S7 classic is a stretch, but allowable for the presence of Who Shot Mr Burns Pt2 and Hank Scorpio.

Huh? This is a first Ive heard anyone say this. The reason why Simpsons (Golden Age) is so revered is that every episode is gold. Its like that rare album where every song is amazing. Anyways, S9 is where you could tell there was a drop in quality.

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Homer the Heretic has aged horribly and makes Marge look like a fundamentalist jerk.

Lisa the Vegetarian was also one I never liked save for the flying pig scene.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
"Bart Gets an F" is my least favorite episode of The Simpson's and I didn't realize it until we started rewatching earlier in the month. I used to love it. It's the ultimate Bart Simpson is trash but we gon let him slide episode. The gags aren't funny and Bart crying didn't give me any feels. It's a throwaway IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
Season 7 is where things start to fall apart. It's still got some classic episodes, but it gets a bit shaky and ends with two of my least favorite episodes from the era, Homerpalooza, and Summer of 4 ft 2 (this episode does have some moments though).

Any episode where Lisa is the focus. So, the episode with the substitute teacher, or Bleeding Gums Murphy, etc. are skipped. Lisa Simpson is an insufferable character, and completely unbelievable.

Yeah, while I do like some Lisa episodes, there's definitely a good chance that if it's Lisa focused it's not the best.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The episode that had "Who Needs the Kwik-E-Mart?". Felt the episode was meh and not even a fan of the song either.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Homer's Enemy constantly gets raved about as one of the best episodes ever, and I've never much cared for it. It's needlessly cruel and the focus on how Homer fails upward in everything he does makes him incredibly unlikable.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Marge in Chains (Lionel Hutz kills in Act 2, everything else really mediocre, Marge deserves better than this plot)
The Front (main story decent, dragged down by the B-plot about Homer going to his high school reunion)
Secrets of a Successful Marriage (a lot of great jokes, but Homer is such an ass, pretty unsatisfying conclusion)
Fear of Flying (kinda boring, the flight attendant reveal is whatever)
Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming (really unorganized Sideshow Bob plot with some sweaty joke-writing)
The Secret War of Lisa Simpson (too manipulative and contrived, even for someone as easily emotionally-manipulated like me)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Homerpalooza has a strong start with some classic moments everyone remembers but completely loses it halfway through and the entire cannonball plot kills the episode for me entirely.

Secret War of Lisa Simpson is an unusually cruel episode where the laughs aren't really coming once the military school plot gets rolling and the final act does nothing for me and ultimately it just a bit silly.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Marge in Chains (Lionel Hutz kills in Act 2, everything else really mediocre, Marge deserves better than this plot)
The Front (main story decent, dragged down by the B-plot about Homer going to his high school reunion)
Secrets of a Successful Marriage (a lot of great jokes, but Homer is such an ass, pretty unsatisfying conclusion)
Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming (really unorganized Sideshow Bob plot with some sweaty joke-writing)
The Secret War of Lisa Simpson (too manipulative and contrived, even for someone as easily emotionally-manipulated like me)
Secrets of a Successful Marriage is hands-down the greatest episode of The Simpsons.

It has an incredible hit ratio of golden gags. Homer talking through a tube in the backseat of the car to mimic Marge's heartfelt memories of him is amazing.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Age Simpsons are 2 thru 6. 7 and 8 still keep the ratio of good to bad high, but are a step down. 2nd season was still working on the formula, but it also has some of the highest emotional beats.

Secrets of a Successful Marriage is the worst episode from Classic Simpsons. The gags are fantastic and easily up there with the best. But that ending is the beginning of Homer's downfall into a buffoon.

There are a few other episodes I don't care for: Burns' Heir, Fear of Flying

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Looking through a list of the early episodes, the only one I have absolutely no memory of is Old Money from season 2. I guess I didn't find it very memorable.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
The episode where Bart is failing his school year.

I have seen it so many time when I was young that I started to hate it.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I can agree with this list, I think Secrets if hilarious but the story doesn't land.

Other episodes I consider to be weak:

Bart vs. Thanksgiving S2 (maybe for people living in America this episode is more meaningful, but it always felt overly sappy to me)
The War of the Simpsons S2 (Boring marriage crisis plot, no jokes stand out except the "Queen of the Harpies" bit)
The Otto Show S3 (Spinaltap opening and the Skinner plot are great, but the stuff with Otto doesn't land for me)
'Round Springfield S6 (tries to be both emotional and wacky, and feels like neither works because of it)
Bart the Fink S7 (lot's of good moments, but the episode doesn't come together for me, although Krusty may be my least favourite secondary character)
My Sister, My Sitter S8 (lot's of good Jokes, but it feels way too mean)

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't consider season 1, 2, then a mixed bag of 8+ classic episodes.

If I had to pick one during the prime peak of 3-6? It's probably Whacking Day for me.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Homer's Enemy from season 8.

Apparently, it's a very highly rated episode that a lot of fans like...

It's the Simpson's episode that I hate the most - I stopped watching the show when it was no longer good.

I empathized with the character of Frank Grimes, a guy who was dealt a shitty deal from the start but persevered and fought for everything he got, only to have life continue to screw him over until he had enough, vented it all out, and died.

And even at his funeral the show disrespected him.

So... I don't get the love for this episode at all.

Good comedy punches up, not down, and this episode was all about punching down a guy who got repeatedly screwed over his whole life.

What am I missing?

Dec 22, 2017

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Marge in Chains is a pretty shitty episode. It portrays Apu as needlessly cruel and evil for sending Marge to jail over a simple mistake. It felt like such a weird episode.

Gooey

Oct 27, 2017
You Only Move Twice is on fire whenever Hank Scorpio is on screen but is otherwise pretty weak to be honest, though it's far from my least favorite of the golden era

And the Poochie episode is a little too insider baseball mixed with complaining about ungrateful fans for my tastes

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I don't know if I would say I don't like it, but I constantly forget Saturdays of Thunder even exists.
0Jvliti.png