NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seriously, it's very rare to see "miscasts" in the films of both these directors. Now their styles and sensibilities are worlds apart, but I find it interesting how well these guys and their casting directors cast pretty much all their films. Marvel films are similar, but in that case it's less auteur-driven since I'm sure that Feige and the casting directors have much more pull than any one director in the Marvel stable. Not only that, I've never read any actor seem frustrated, perfunctory, or say anything other than glowing about both directors. Both deliver on spectacle on time and under budget, and they work easily with execs, which is why execs mostly seem to love them. I don't think either director has ever had an out and out bomb (if we're excising the unique circumstances around Justice League). These guys more than anything are two sides of the same coins. They have their fervent fan bases, have stylistic tics throughout all their films (while Nolan's work seems laden with subtexts and lots of heady ideas, for Snyder the superficial is the subtext, obsessing with specific types of imagery).

christopher-nolan-batman-vs-superman-pic.jpg

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of other directors and casting directors that cast amazingly well, but these two in particular stand out since they're so steeped in comic book/big budget tentpole films that don't veer into just stunt-casting or casting big names, but casting amazing actors and then getting the best work out of them possible without it just being for a punchclock cheque.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Michael Caine could play the shark in Jaws and get an Oscar nomination if he wanted.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mark Zuckerberg was woefully miscast as Lex Luther.

But overall, i think Zack has done a good job casting the justice league. I was surprised Batfleck worked as well as it did. Gal and Momoa were easy to see, but i remember getting initially upset at the ben affleck casting. it was way outside the box.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
The story of how Jesse Eisenberg got cast as Lex Luthor is pretty hilarious
"I thought, if it were Jesse Eisenberg and he got out and he goes, 'I'm Jimmy Olsen,' you'd be like, oh my God, we're gonna have Jimmy Olsen in the whole movie, right?'" Snyder says. "And then if he got shot, you'd just be like, 'What!? You can't do that.'"
Snyder and his wife, producer Deborah Synder, met with Eisenberg to pitch the idea of a sudden-death cameo. "I said, 'I want to do this misdirect and you'd be great. You'd be a great Jimmy Olsen,'" the director says. "And he's like, 'Yeah, that's cool,' and he was being very Jesse in the meeting. Introverted but constantly going, 'Okay, I see, uh-huh. So it's sort of a pop-culture redirect, you're gonna do, because of the certain status of an actor…'"
As Eisenberg thought out loud in rapid-fire bursts, Snyder watched the nervy, jangled young actor and started thinking of withdrawing the Jimmy Olsen offer. And after the 32-year-old actor left the meeting, Snyder turned to his wife: "I was like, 'Wow, that guy is crazy… Debbie, what about Jesse as Lex?"
"We talked about the usual suspects that you would imagine; any actor who has been bald, probably," Synder says. "Bryan Cranston would have been great, right? And by the way, he's an amazing actor. Can you imagine how different the movie would be?"
https://ew.com/article/2016/03/25/batman-v-superman-jimmy-olsen/

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Malin Ackerman, bless her for trying, wasn't great in Watchmen. Also the guy that played Adrian/Ozymandias in the film didn't have the right build at all for the character. Everyone else in that movie though? Perfect casting.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Jesse Eisenberg was a total miscast imo

I didn't like Anne Hathaway as Catwoman either but it's mostly because I can't stand Anne Hathaway as an actress

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Henry Cavill was not a great superman. He really did nothing for that role.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Casting Michael Cain in a small role as a supporting actor is the same thing as pulling the "Chuck Norris" card to any random black card in Cards Against Humanity.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Henry Cavill was not a great superman. He really did nothing for that role.

People are going to hate on you but I've always found Cavill to be really mediocre as an actor. Like, in Man From Uncle he plays this James Bond type secret agent but his
"charm" falls really flat. He's fairly stiff in the film.

He's a handsome man and looks perfect as Superman, that's for sure.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Watchmen had a lot of ass casting dawg. Ackerman, goode come to mind

Nolan got fire casts tho

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Jesse Rosenberg as Lex was a bit of a miscast, on Nolan's side I can't think of a miscast but he does tend to use a lot of same actors again and again.

I think the best casting Nolan's ever done was David Bowie as an older Nikola Tesla and the best casting Snyder's ever done is Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan. Infact Billy embodied Manhattan so much that I always imagine Dr. Manhattan in his image and voice even when he's not (like in the TV show).

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
They sure bring out the haters here. I don't care for most of Snyder's films, but I don't waste my time arguing trying to convince others to stop liking them.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody beats QT. His movies are cast incredibly well. He's a true actors director.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Especially Snyder's Superman. Cavill was better as Whedon's Superman, but still.

And what Blue Skies said.
Looking through their films, and the one in which I find a Latino in, Sucker Punch, is lacking in black actors.

really Zach?

also Nolan only ever has one (1) black person in any of his films
And zero (0) Latinos

Oct 27, 2017
Idk I thought casting JGL in Dark Knight Returns was a bad choice since he served such a little purpose because like nothing happens to Bruce in the end and he exists solely to be a dumb fan service punchline when you find out his middle name is Robin. Does casting a role that the actor otherwise nails, but is totally unnecessary and makes the story too busy count? Coz for me just because they nail their role doesn't mean they can't still detract from the movie.

and having Talia, Bane, and Catwoman in one film was too much. Babe alone would've been fine. Nolan casted too much imo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyborg , you forgot about him, that was an awful choice. So bad and forgettable that everyone forgets that he's even in the movie

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree they never miscast, but I do agree they have great rapport with their cast. The Justice League cast are incredibly loyal to Snyder, dude must be great to work with even if his products aren't the highest quality.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
jesse eisenberg was good. same with all their casting. the content was hit or miss, though. a billionaire dinosaur man isn't really that worldly anymore. you'd assume one of the richest people today (and who are clearly very sociopathic) are tech ceos, so it makes very sense given their techno-liberal-libertarian views are very abundant in this day and age.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looking through their films, and the one in which I find a Latino in, Sucker Punch, is lacking in black actors.

really Zach?

And zero (0) Latinos
John David Washington is the lead of Tenet. Morgan Freeman was in all the Batman flicks, plus one of the astronauts in Interstellar was black. And I think there was an Indian guy in Inception

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
My reaction when Nolan casts black dude to lead next time-bender film:

img.jpg

Sucks to be a latino/latina though. Oh wait, there was Ramirez that dirty cop in TDK. Yeah...
Hmm in retrospect I thibk the mayor of Gotham is also Latino

but Yea, awesome that y'all got Tenet, and JD Washington is fucking awesome and probably gonna have an even better career than hisfather

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

really Zach?

And zero (0) Latinos
And Nolan has no excuses, original properties all around.

And by the time Rises debuted, Catwoman (Selina Kyle) was from Cuban descend from her mother's side since the 90's.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I only watched Watchmen once, but I'm pretty sure I saw some atrocious acting in there, by more than one person, so I'm not sure about that one...