Status
Not open for further replies.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any caveats to this data? Because when he shared Star Wars Outlaws data it was incomplete and not including digital.

Snake2024

May 15, 2024
How does this compare "day" wise since isn`t that different if a game releases on monday or friday for example and based on that one game has more time to sell in the first "week" than the other?

Edit: Looked it up and Rift Apart also released on a friday like Astro Bot. Let`s wait to get worlwide sale data, but still interesting to see especially taking into consideration that there have been all these additional PS5 sales in the last three years while Rift Apart released at a time where there were still shortages and Astro`s Playroom coming pre-installed with every console. The most interesting info would be likely how the physical to digital ratio has changed in the uk in the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
and-here-we-go-joker.gif

It's UK physical y'all

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
hoping this isn't reflective of digital sales, but also the game seems like it was made at a very affordable budget which means it probably won't be hard for it to see success

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not sure why we focus so much on the UK sales, honestly. It's an interesting look into one market, but that's just it, one market.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
The question is what are physical sales like in 2021 vs 2024 for Playstation titles. This strikes me as one that skews more digital than R&C back in 2021 somehow but I could be wrong.

Either way, Astro Bot certainly cost a lot less to make and should still sell a decent number of units in the end.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I hope this game does well and I don't think this half a data point is telling us it won't

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like nearly every major game launch in the UK has had lower physical sales than prior releases going on for years now.

Apr 9, 2018
Not surprised, I was going to wait on it and decided to get Click & Collect on the release day around 2 o'clock. The retailer chain I bought from (Smyths Toys) had full stock (Shown as "15+ available") for every single store nationwide

Sep 29, 2019
Being UK-only and Physical-only are biiig caveats imo. This is the kind of game that would sell way more on digital than physical.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Digital keeps going up and physical down, so makes sense. Need to have digital included to have an accurate report.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see a whole ton of buzz around the game prior to last week so hopefully the good word of mouth picks up sales.

On Twitch, none of the channels I follow even played the game. That's just from what I was seeing but usually at least a few of the ones I watch play the latest titles. A bunch were playing Space Marine 2 for example.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So long as these tweets are covering only physical sales (and only in the UK), they are providing exactly zero worthwhile information

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
In the scheme of things, UK physical would account for like 2% of total sales. We can't tell anything from this, everyone calm down :P

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That's fine, as always it's best to wait for more info since this is just a small slice of the overall pie.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
A 33% decrease from R&C isn't crazy for Astro Bot IMO. Install base is bigger now, but heavier skew toward digital.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Are there any caveats to this data? Because when he shared Star Wars Outlaws data it was incomplete and not including digital.

it's physical only

I'm still not sure why we focus so much on the UK sales, honestly. It's an interesting look into one market, but that's just it, one market.

It comes out first and it tends to often come in lower than expected since the UK as a market sucks at the moment, so it tends to make for "uh oh" reactions that are sometimes accurate to the WW picture, sometimes not

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Realistically it was highly unlikely this an Astrobot game would ever sell gangbusters, regardless of quality. Unfortunately aesthetically and reputationally it's just not a series that resonates mass market. It sucks, but just looking at the situation without emotion, it was somewhat inevitable. I'd be surprised if Sony expected big numbers.

Aug 22, 2024
Even if the digital sales also reflect this, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was a pretty descent success with it's four+ million sales (and budget of 81 million) .

And Astro's budget is, all things considered, way way way smaller (much smaller team, no mocap, no extensive voicework and it's developed in Japan).

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
UK only and physical only is lmao.

I know the UK and PlayStation do lean more towards physical, but in the year of our lord 2024 I feel like information shouldn't exclude digital, especially if the game is like 50/50 physical/digital

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I got the physical AND the controller!

im-doing-my-part-serious.gif

Hope this isn't indicative of overall sales, it's the best thing from this generation.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Maybe wait for full digital + physical sales before telling UK consumers to go fuck themselves for not spending £59.99.

Grakchawwaa

Mar 10, 2022
Anecdotally, I was going to buy this from GameStop physically near me in the US, but by the time I was off work it was listed as sold out from 2-3. Who knows about physical copy stock. I've noticed in my area a lot of stores barely get any stock of new games unless you pre order. Ended up just buying it digital!

ThrashPanda

Feb 22, 2024
UK only. Physical only. Less places to buy physical in the UK, with lots of online game retailers either going weird or dying. Astro Bot is almost assuredly a holiday gift game. The physical vs digital sales divide has only widened since 2021. We are no longer in covid times where people had lots of time, which benefited Ratchet. Cost of living crisis means £60 is laughably expensive for new games.

This list goes on as to why this isn't shocking or even a signifier of overall sales of the game.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
That concord comparison was totally unnecesary. Just more fuel to console and flame wars.

On topic: we knew this could happen, we didnt want to think about it, but we knew it could happen.

It's just UK and just Physical, so i really hope the other markets and digital sales do better.

Isn't UK the third biggest market just behing USA and Japan?, of course is relevant, just like knowing how much % of PS4Pro sold in the US compared to normal PS4.

How is comparing the sales of the two most recent Sony releases "fuelling console wars"?

Im sure social media will take the "Astro bot sales in UK are not that good, but at least sold more than the game that was only 11 days in the market and was pulled because sold nothing" very well and wont make any twist of it, sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.