dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Ever wondered how processed processed-cheese actually is? Or the process of processing processed-cheese?

Nigel Braun, AKA NileBlue, AKA NileRed takes us through it.

Also, today I learned he's 32.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aGNAxN5Z-o

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
American cheese is just some cheese mixed up with emulsifiers so it will melt smooth. I don't know why it gets a bad rap, it's great stuff. I tear up a couple of pieces and throw it in with some Monterey jack or whatever to make queso and mac and cheese.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
American cheese is just some cheese mixed up with emulsifiers so it will melt smooth. I don't know why it gets a bad rap, it's great stuff. I tear up a couple of pieces and throw it in with some Monterey jack or whatever to make queso and mac and cheese.
Its gets a bad rap because people mostly know it from Kraft Singles, which are the worst kind of American Cheese. And can at times be indistinguishable from the plastic sleeves they come in.

But, yeah, its one of the best kinds of cheese for melting, and is the default cheese on burgers for a reason.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
But, yeah, its one of the best kinds of cheese for melting, and is the default cheese on burgers for a reason.

FtaZ8Hu.gif

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco

I don't snob it cause I always have some in my fridge for a burger but its still:
basic cheese
Has little craftsmanship/history/diversity
Has little taste
Is used mainly in burgers/fast food

People are arguing which cheese are the best for each specific region with aop, comparing producers, their age, if they're made with summer milk or not, etc etc where a single country like France has more than 1000 variety.
Ofc "generic American cheese" is not going to compete.

Now there are many good cheese in America like any other country. But it's like asking why
Budlight gets bad rap.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I don't snob it cause I always have some in my fridge for a burger but its still:
basic cheese
Has little craftsmanship/history/diversity
Has little taste
Is used mainly in burgers/fast food

People are arguing which cheese are the best for each specific region with aop, comparing producers, their age, if they're made with summer milk or not, etc etc where a single country like France has more than 1000 variety.
Ofc "generic American cheese" is not going to compete.

Now there are many good cheese in America like any other country. But it's like asking why
Budlight gets bad rap.

it melts good

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I watched that the other night and it was pretty interesting. I kind of wish they went into the chemistry a bit more.

Glen and Friends cooking did an episode making american cheese 3 years ago, which was good too, maybe better, because they show the labelled products that they used for it.
they have a lot of interesting recipes on there. Depression era recipes etc.

View: https://youtu.be/qlJ30PGUk8Y?si=_k_2yOrlaDuRQIYG

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I watched that the other night and it was pretty interesting. I kind of wish they went into the chemistry a bit more.

Glen and Friends cooking did an episode making american cheese 3 years ago, which was good too, maybe better, because they show the labelled products that they used for it.
they have a lot of interesting recipes on there. Depression era recipes etc.

View: https://youtu.be/qlJ30PGUk8Y?si=_k_2yOrlaDuRQIYG

This is a really great channel if you want to learn about the history of food. Recommended.

As for processed cheese, it has its uses and it's great for the most part. I don't get why people think it's gross or whatever. It's not high quality and it's not meant to be.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know why a Canadian is making AMERICAN cheese. Kind of suscious, if you ask me... (this is a joke)

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Video seems really ill-informed. It's just cheese with emulsifiers, and you can find quite a few different quality American Cheeses out there that carry flavor. He treats sodium citrate as some crazy thing that you can't just walk into Whole Foods and buy.

This is like if someone decided to recreate Hershey's Chocolate with it's vomit flavoring and ignoring the fact that other chocolates exist.