Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In this case, we have an early character who plays the role the far more iconic character plays so they could be seen as a prototype of their successor in many ways.

Alica from Batman 89

Basically, Jack Napier's girlfriend whose supposed to be dating his boss, later takes on a white mask. This character can be seen as a prototype to Harley Quinn who would be introduced a few years later in Batman: The Animated Series.

Lotus Blossom from the original Ninja Turtles cartoon

She's a deadly warrior, a thief, has a rivalry/relationship with Leonardo who sees some good in her and wants to change her. These roles are usually given to Karai in later adaptations who in the comics wasn't introduced until 1992 and would be introduced to a wider audience in the 2003 show.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
SG-vs-KH-1024x512.jpg

Dec 30, 2020
littleindianbigcity.jpg

68df2b33-1f8f-49de-9294-2585c3998cad.jpg

If the Santa Clause taught me anything, it's that eventually Tim Allen will kill you and take your clothes/role.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Guys I'm talking about the same material.

Like Alicia and Harley are both Batman characters and Lotus and Karai are Ninja Turtles characters.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Should have been Goku to Gohan, but Toriyama and Co got scared!

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Does Metal Gear Solid 2 Raiden to MGS4/Rising Raiden count?

edit: guess not, as it's the same character, just better realized later. Scratch that. :D

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan Joestar -> Joseph Joestar.

Joseph is simply more interesting as a character than Jonathan.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Proto Man from the Mega Man series seems like a prototype to Zero from the Mega Man X series, though I think that might be the case?

Edit: Come to think of it, they're both still popular, as far as I can tell. They're probably not good examples of what OP is looking for.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
A rare example of a same-character prototype. The full-on, aggressive pilot version of Columbo (in Prescription Murder) was very different to the dishevelled Columbo that we know and love.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Decker from Star Trek:TMP to Riker on Star Trek: TNG
to
jonathan-frakes-star-trek-tng-s1.jpg

and

Llia to Troi in the same progression

Ferret

Oct 25, 2017
Kaito Kid to Conan in Case Closed/Detective Conan, at least design wise. Their childhood friends/love interest are also pretty much the same character.

Oct 25, 2017
Proto Man from the Mega Man series seems like a prototype to Zero from the Mega Man X series, though I think that might be the case?

Edit: Come to think of it, they're both still popular, as far as I can tell. They're probably not good examples of what OP is looking for.

They're also not particularly similar beyond being red when you really look at them.
Proto Man is a broody loner who does things subtly.
Zero is a mentor type who's pretty social and does things brazenly.
He's more of a matured, good guy Bass. Bass is basically his literal prototype too. lol

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
She did leave for quite a well, it wasn't until Odyssey that she came back into the spotlight. (Though I think she appeared in a couple Mario vs. Donkey Kong games)
Yeah, her largest gap I think was between the original Donkey Kong in 1981 and the Game Boy Donkey Kong in 1994. And she was in the MvDK games, as you mentioned. I guess she was basically as good as gone/replaced until '94 (excluding Game & Watch games)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Wild Thing from MC2 was a prototype to the more popular...

8087332-x-men_vol_6_2_frankie%27s_comics_exclusive_virgin_variant.jpg

X-23/Wolverine

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Raven, Tekken

72e65f57833b847988bb58766e875bac.jpg

Killer B, Naruto

31-319996_killer-bee-naruto-hd-png-download.png

Edit: Oh, within the same company.

Well, Grey Fox and Raiden in Metal Gear, for sure:

Metal-Gear-Rising-Artbook-Raiden-standing.jpg

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Deathstroke.

I clicked on the picture and it was in the file name. No idea what he has to do with Deadpool though.
Deadpool was originally a straight up ripoff of Deathstroke, right down to having similar names (Slade Wilson -> Wade Wilson), all because Rob Liefeld had a longstanding obsession with wanting to work on Teen Titans.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So if it's within the same franchise, it seems like it usually happens when a franchise is rebooted at least a few times.

So I'll say:
Betty Kane/Batgirl -> Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, who originated in the tv show (IIRC)

Hot Rod(TF 1986) -> Hot shot (Transformers Armada) -> Bumblebee (movies):
Bumblebee was in G1 but he was a scout who was one of the weakest Autobots. You could argue that Hot Rod in TF the movie, before becoming Rodimus, influenced Transformers Armada to create a similar character, Hot Shot, who was basically the brash young warrior (who turned into a yellow car). Then the Bay movies reintroduced Bumblebee as more of a brash young warrior (who, unlike his talkative G1 self, couldn't even talk).

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Yamucha -> Tien -> Piccolo -> Vegeta. All of them pretty much followed the same "villan to anti-hero to hero" trope until getting sidelined when the next one came in. Surprised Vegeta lasted this long tbh.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Similar to Decker and Riker, the original plan for DS9 was to include Ensign Ro from TNG. When the actress didn't want to join the show, they created Major Kira.
Ro_Laren.jpg
KiraNerys001.jpg

Probably for the best in my opinion, as that would be too many former Enterprise staff on DS9 .