CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls Spoilers Below
Sif, the Great Grey Wolf - Dark Souls. It was bad enough on the first playthrough when you saw this beautiful, majestic beast limping around and whimpering when he was near death but after playing through the Artorias DLC rescuing him as a puppy and getting the alternate cutscene before the fight it's all the more painful to engage and defeat him.

The fight

The backstory

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
7o2xDmV.png

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad about defeating Colossi, killing any non-aggressive NPC in Pikmin, and I also feel bad in general killing anyone in MGS.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Killing Zeke in Infamous 2's Evil route was surprisingly emotional for me.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
AyGpV5p.png

Whacka's just minding his own business, and enjoying life, but if you hit him hard enough, his lumps die off and fall to the ground. Goombario says they're a delicacy, and they heal both 25 HP and FP. Those numbers seem low, but they're huge in the Paper Mario games, where I usually get the games with 30HP. Whacka will slowly get brain damage the more you do it, and after a while he just stops showing up. If you don't feel bad enough, several NPCs mention how he's the last of his species.

Every monster in Monster Hunter.
Qurupeco in the Gen 3 games makes me feel the worst. It's already kind of a cheeky cowardly monster, but the way you can chip its beak makes its cowardliness a combination that makes me feel like I'm the monster. The monster that hunts.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The Hammerhoods in Dragon Quest Builders. They are not aggressive unless you attack first, and there are a bunch of NPC ones you can talk to and run quests for. The problem is that killing Hammerhoods is the most convenient way to get fur, which is an essential building material.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'd feel bad about Sif if he didn't, y'know, come at me with a giant sword unprovoked.

He should have taken a leaf out of Crossbreed Priscilla's book. Very polite lass. I was more than happy to just leave her be.

As for one of my own, that one Krogan lieutenant in Mordin's loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2. I don't think he has a name. He's probably best known to most players for the fact that you can interrupt his speech with a cheesy one liner and a renegade prompt that sets him on fire. Thing is, if you let him have his say he talks about how he's had to shovel piles of stillborn due to the genophage. Sure, he was a dangerous thug who needed to be dealt with, but I can see how that shit would drive someone to extremes.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel bad about Sif if he didn't, y'know, come at me with a giant sword unprovoked.

He should have taken a leaf out of Crossbreed Priscilla's book. Very polite lass. I was more than happy to just leave her be.

As for one of my own, that one Krogan lieutenant in Mordin's loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2. I don't think he has a name. He's probably best known to most players for the fact that you can interrupt his speech with a cheesy one liner and a renegade prompt that sets him on fire. Thing is, if you let him have his say he talks about how he's had to shovel piles of stillborn due to the genophage. Sure, he was a dangerous thug who needed to be dealt with, but I can see how that shit would drive someone to extremes.
We were grave robbing his master's remains. He had protected the resting place for I dunno how long.

But yes Priscilla was rough. Needed that tail though... =/

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Every single Colossus except for fourth one

That one can fuck right off.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love foxes. I spent a lot of time sneaking up on them in BotW to get pictures. One of them decided to run between me and a Moblin while I was throwing bombs at it and it was the only fox I killed in over 100 hours. I still feel bad.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
[Halua "Number 6" - NieR]
maxresdefault.jpg

[Angel and Caim - Drakengard 2]
tumblr_nzmmxoieH61uz9suwo8_400.gif

"I call out these prayers to the sky, heavy with thought, see your face
I carry these memories inside, thoughts of a soul colored by love

See me grow wings and fly high, passions will die down below
I burn in a basin of fire, watchers look on as they dance in their merciless sky
Watching me, watching you"

This will burn my soul for all eternity tbh. :(

Atrarock

Oct 27, 2017
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Rank 2

aka Alice Twilight

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Antasma

After Bowser betrays him, he actually stutters a bit in his speech and is legit shocked, he even yells at Dreambert saying he doesn't need his pity. The main thing Antasma always wanted was freedom, but when he first saw Bowser he thought he was the coolest thing. Being thrown down by someone you looked up to was probably the worst thing for him.

Tales of the Abyss

Asch

His entire upbringing, life, and status were completed taken from him at just 10 years old. Lots of development between him and Luke up until the end of the game, but having that last fight with him and leaving him behind only to find out his eventual fate was pretty damn sad. Yet he stills does some pretty kind things throughout the game and before the end, gives Luke the ability and weapon he needed for the finale.

Oct 25, 2017
Harvey Moiseiwitsch Volodarskii from No More Heroes.

latest

He just wanted to do his magic show. He didn't deserve to die such a gruesome death. :(

Peewee Piranha from Super Mario Galaxy 2

latest

A newborn baby that Mario forcibly hatches from its egg, and then he kills it. And that scream when it dies... :'(

Shantae in Pirate Queen's Quest

Shantae is one of my favorite video game protagonists, so I dreaded the boss fight with her in Risky mode. I expected that I would feel bad if the figgt ended with her dying, and I was right.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Almost everything in any Kirby game. Except for those orange floaty things that turn evil. Those things are scary as all hell.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Darth Vader in The Force Unleashed. I never liked the game's narrative and its OP protagonist and felt kinda guilty for destroying my favorite childhood badguy.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of the Abyss

Asch

His entire upbringing, life, and status were completed taken from him at just 10 years old. Lots of development between him and Luke up until the end of the game, but having that last fight with him and leaving him behind only to find out his eventual fate was pretty damn sad. Yet he stills does some pretty kind things throughout the game and before the end, gives Luke the ability and weapon he needed for the finale.

He acts like a complete ass from the moment you meet him, can't say I felt anything for him personally

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
The girl from one of the side quests in Digimon Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory, who was trying to copy her beloved aquarium into EDEN (her name in the JP version was Minamo, don't know about the localized one).
Her actions didn't hurt anyone initially, but the protagonist's team still took her down. But as if it wasn't enough they also destroyed her little virtual paradise.
It's just as she said, the pesky real world always ends up meddling with your perfect virtual existence. Ended up hating Ryuji's self-righteous ass after that.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
Metal Gear Solid spoilers.
latest

I've never saw Sniper Wolf as a villain, rather than good person with tragic past that ended up being on the wrong side.

And her death scene was just heartbreaking.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah. My friend said he felt like he was "shooting kids".

I put off killing these little guys for as long as possible:

small_spring.png

Yeah I did as well, in my subsequent playthroughs.

The girl from one of the side quests in Digimon Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory, who was trying to copy her beloved aquarium into EDEN (her name in the JP version was Minamo, don't know about the localized one).
Her actions didn't hurt anyone initially, but the protagonist's team still took her down. But as if it wasn't enough they also destroyed her little virtual paradise.
It's just as she said, the pesky real world always ends up meddling with your perfect virtual existence. Ended up hating Ryuji's self-righteous ass after that.

Didn't she tried to blow up the real aquarium so that only she can enjoy the fishes? I wouldn't be so merciful if that's the case.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
"You, you killed him didn't you?
Very well, I can no longer resist you.
Do as you like.
Take your precious Demon's soul."
-
Maiden Astraea
Demon Souls

The ending of Suikoden 2. The non-true ending in particular. That duel was kind of gut wrenching.

Also really harrowing games like the story in Soul Sacrifice fits this. The way everyone and I mean everyone eventually falls into despair and the only way to save loved ones is literally murdering them and sacrificing their souls which in turn adds another burden to your own soul is brutal. Sympatha and the Sanctuarium's last stand was kind of horrifying. Aegrus' role in that was also magnificent. How Similia chooses to die, by herself cradled in your arms, resisting the call of the Holy Grail and denying you the sacrifice was also brutal.
Here is a pic of Aegrus
XM2NSlv.jpg

In summary, basically the god/creator of the world in Soul Sacrifice is a huge asshole who set the world in a cycle of destruction and rebirth. Sacrificing friends, body parts and what not to defeat monsters who were formerly humans, possibly friends or family or other mages...

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to spoiler-warning this, it's WoW content from Vanilla, and very much no longer in a position where you can properly experience the story:

300px-Vaelan.jpg

Nefarian - prince of the Black Dragonflight - is one of the first Big Bads in WoW. You first encounter him when exploring a late-game dungeon, Blackrock Spire, which is split into two parts - the Lower Spire, designed for five, and the Upper Spire, originally designed for fifteen (and later reduced to ten) people; not a full-size raid, but a bit tougher than a conventional five-man. The Upper Spire, however, is locked behind a quest chain which starts in the Lower Spire.

You meet Vaelan - at first disguised as a Blackrock Orc - while in the Lower Spire, and he's clearly on your side and working against Nefarian. He helps you proceed through the quest chain to open the door to the Upper Spire. Towards the end of that chain he reveals his true form: Vaelestrasz, a member of the (good) Red Dragonflight:

latest

As you proceed into Upper Blackrock Spire, halfway through the dungeon you drop down into an arena for a protracted fight against Rend Blackhand, with Victor Nefarius - Nefarian in human form - watching from a balcony. During that fight you can summon Vael to help you, after which he'll pursue Nefarian through a raid portal into Blackwing Lair.

Later, when you're on Blackwing Lair, you'll encounter Vaelestrasz again, but he has clearly been fighting against Nefarian and has lost; collapsed, too exhausted to continue, with Nefarian draining his energy. On you turning up and spoiling the party, though, Nefarian runs off, leaving Vaelestrasz corrupted. In Vaelestrasz's last throes of sanity, he gives you a buff to help you kill him, before being completely consumed by uncontrollable rage and attacking your party.

Not only do you have to kill him, he helps you do so.

Oh, and for good measure, the aspects of him that are in control result in him constantly apologising as the fight goes on.

Forgive me, (player)! Your death only adds to my failure!