• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The moderation is getting questionable more and more each day here lol. You are sanctioning a dog pile on someone who came here to clear up his status on regards to the thread and instead you're bombarding him and derailing the thread. Wtf mods

From what I've seen, your only contributions to this thread were complaints about people asking Larry questions. You couldn't be more transparent right now.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Came back to this thread to see that once again Guru Larry and his antics have completely overwhelmed things and are once again getting in the middle of meaningful discussion about the end of Channel Awesome. Can we NOT? We just saw a mod-post telling us not to do this but we're doing it again.

Also, considering his reputation for being a Troll, I:

a) Don't believe that he suddenly isn't Pro-GG now and
b) think that he's in this thread JUST to troll us for fun.

Also, it's getting a bit scary how no one's heard from Brad for a while now. It's been a few weeks. Is he on Twitter? At this point I'm considering him complicit with Channel Awesome and their mess.

Finally, about Spoony, I'm actually really concerned for him right now. I don't like all of his reviews (specifically I couldn't stand his FFVII review) but I like a lot of them, and the fact that he's been on radio silence for a while is a bit.. concerning? Considering that we know what mental state he's under? Does he have another job outside of being on youtube? And he seems really angry/upset during most of his streams nowadays. Like seriously, is he okay?
Larry has been tied into the whole CA thing, which there hasn't really been any recent developments on, and with some of what hes said and seeing that Holly has been supportive of him and some of his antics does make me want to hear him out.

I think Brad is being loyal to a fault here, he is still posting videos but has been silent (as far as i'm aware) on whats going on, I wouldn't expect him to weigh in. While I don't think hes complicit in the actions of Channel Awesome, its certainly a bad look for him to stay close to the Walkers and Michaud. Though knowing a lot of the former producers have said they would respect anyone's decision to stay, I imagine they will remain amicable and still work closely with him which makes me feel comfortable still supporting him.

Spoony is a difficult one for sure, I think some time away from the internet very well could do him some good, and i truly hope it does. I do believe his partner is still active on twitter too.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it his responsibility to make a thread for things other people want to talk about? If any of you had any real interest in getting to the heart of the matter you would have just pmed the guy, but some just wanted to make a public spectacle out of themselves in a thread that is unrelated to their taking points because they had the opportunity to and took the thread over.

Pm the guy and stop crapping up the thread

His entrance in the thread was explicitly to address this. He introduced it, he wanted to talk about it. I'm not PMing him because I have no interest in discussing this with him privately. This is not for gotcha points or virtue signaling or getting attention or whatever you're implying, mind. I just do not think it is worth putting that effort into discussing it in a way where that information is not presented to other people, particularly as part of the reason why this is relevant is his trustworthiness for the insider info he's supposedly giving us.

...also, you've only posted one thing in this thread that isn't complaining about this, which probably isn't helping the thread either?

Just to clarify, we redact this modpost, we are allowing discussing on Gamergate in this thread, and we asked Larry to clarify his position on GG.

Thank you very much for this clarification. I don't want this to clog up the thread much either, but I sincerely appreciate being able to talk about this without having to worry about crossing lines.

The man has apologized, unless he proves otherwise I say let him be. Dragging him over the coals repeatedly despite him acknowledging he made mistakes doesn't help anything, that's the kind of attitude that people have had issues with folks here(and the old place) before. He wants to make an attempt at friendship and came here, he didn't have too. It's definitely more than what some try to do. Let his actions and deeds speak for themselves, it doesn't mean you got to discard anything done or said before but if he proves he's changed and has grown as a person that's something that should be encouraged.

His actions in the past couple days do speak for themselves, though. He has not really acknowledged he's made mistakes and his justifications actually contradict things he's said even within that time. He said within this thread that there was a legitimate cause to GamerGate, then said there wasn't. He came in here saying his association with certain other YouTube personalities proved he wasn't cool with GG; he left out that they were in the same exact video of his with a GG supporter we've actually discussed in these threads as having made some pretty atrocious videos about CA.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen, your only contributions to this thread were complaints about people asking Larry questions. You couldn't be more transparent right now.
I think Aviator made it clear that people should be asking Larry questions in a PM or in another thread- so implying that he's a bigot or GGer isn't really nice

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think Aviator made it clear that people should be asking Larry questions in a PM or in another thread- so implying that he's a bigot or GGer isn't really nice

That's your implication. I think the way he talked down a moderator's decision after even Larry accepted speaks volumes as to why they're posting in this thread.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer not to do that but oh well...
From what I gathered, there's a post from 2014 from Larry that is pretty much full GG that is about as misinformed as I am about whatever tea Jane Austen used to buy.
in August 2017, he still shows appreciation for what is pretty much one of the hub of the harassment movement.
Last month, he makes a joke that is minimizing harassment which is indistiguishable from a rando GG harasser.
A few days ago, he posted that he's not GG and that GG is fucking horrible.

Did I miss anything?

That's mostly it. Things that popped up in my search but didn't include in that post I did with links was basically just complaining about SJWs in 2016, which isn't the biggest deal if it's accepted he still supported GG then.

Not to harp on the last few days though, but it's more that 2 days ago he was claiming neutrality based on his associations with YouTubers; the person he's responding to is also involved with spreading some CA related conspiracies as I mentioned but reasonably Larry might not know that, beyond the person implying they believed the conspiracies. Then a day ago he tweets at an Era poster and within 20-30 minutes first posts in thread claiming being against GG for the same reasons, with one person not mentioned.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's your implication. I think the way he talked down a moderator's decision after even Larry accepted speaks volumes as to why they're posting in this thread.
Well you're using words like transparent when discussing those things so perhaps you should make it clear what you think is going on instead using obtuse descriptors like "transparent."

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is down playing gamer gate. Check my post history here or on neogaf. Y'all are going entirely too far in the wrong direction on this thread but it's okay this time because???????? Every other thread that gets derailed gets sorted out but instead moderation enforces the derail. Fantastic

How is it a derail when the thread is about awful people associated with Channel Awesome? It's clearly relevant to the discussion.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, to be 100% clear I don't really agree with Alice on this implication. I just think Aviator repeatingly posting about it doesn't help the thread much either, even if I totally understand why they would not want this in the thread.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing derailing the thread is us getting upset with one another and discussing what should and shouldn't be allowed when its already been outlined. The mods have allowed GamerGate to be discussed, it is directly related to Channel Awesome in this instance as at least one of the contributors was at one point supportive of their harassment campaign and Larry is here now with the claim that he no longer is and has a chance to defend that statement, it is on topic, and relevant.

SuperBlur

Apr 10, 2018
I think we're bombarding Guru Larry without giving him the time to answer all the questions. Can we just make a list of the things we want to ask him so he can make a nice big post without just answering one user at a time with three more users posting questions soon after?

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, to be 100% clear I don't really agree with Alice on this implication. I just think Aviator repeatingly posting about it doesn't help the thread much either, even if I totally understand why they would not want this in the thread.

My implication is, that at the point where you insult a Moderator's decision and call this board's moderation "dubious" you're making it very, very goddamn obvious that you're Staning for Larry.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
I think we're bombarding Guru Larry without giving him the time to answer all the questions. Can we just make a list of the things we want to ask him so he can make a nice big post without just answering one user at a time with three more users posting questions soon after?

This is why I think he's going to be unable to answer this in a satisfactory fashion on this thread- we've got a lot of people asking him questions all at once, and as the response to his last post showed he's really not going to be able to do what he needs to do to prove he's sincere about this in here. If Larry wants to say definitively he doesn't support GG anymore, he's going to need to do it on a more public forum like Twitter.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The only thing that can (somewhat) clear the air for Larry is if he displays a continued and public course of action that actively disavows and disassociates with his past actions and associations. Trust is hard to gain, easy to lose, and only time will tell if he's genuine.

If it's an act or he's being insincere, then time will tell and he'll face the consequences just like anyone else here would. If he's genuine and makes concerted, public efforts to make amends, then time will tell.

That being said, forgiveness and retribution can't change history, the negative impact Larry's actions have had aren't necessarily going away and they aren't his to undo or erase. Part of moving forward for him is going to have to accept his role in hurting others in the way he supported a harassment campaign and fighting against that. A good suggestion would be going on Twitter and addressing everyone outside this thread, particularly apologizing for past behavior. Will he do that? Time will tell.

Any one have an idea of Lindsay's next Hobbit release?

Wednesday

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
On a somewhat lighter note, Linkara posted a new video yesterday. It's title is distressingly appropriate for recent events.

Teen Titans: Betrayal and Aftershock, Parts 1 & 2 - Atop the Fourth Wall

And one more thing to connect it to recent events; the Wario hat is no longer on his shelf.

I know some of us are feeling a little conflicted on Brad at the moment, but he did also post a new video yesterday (noticeably it was not on the Channel Awesome website, but I wouldn't read too much into that) and it was pretty fantastic.
Any one have an idea of Lindsay's next Hobbit release?
Tomorrow~! Though she also mentioned she felt this episode may be divisive and was nervous about its release, so there is a good chance it may just be a joke or not quite what we're expecting. Either way, i'm pretty excited.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy them. The Hobbit trilogy was a huge disappointment to me- especially the third film which I think is a legitimately bad film.
I totally hear you, i didn't even watch the third one. Someone did tell me to watch the extended editions, that they add a lot more charm, and i may one day, but honestly i have little interest.

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only Larry really knows how genuine his words are, and if what's he's said in his last post isn't enough, then keep an eye on his actions going forward. Or ignore him and move on. At the very least, making that statement here has likely upset some of his fanbase.

I know he's got some questionable shit to answer for but people are all just asking the same questions over and over. Anything he says in response could be a lie, sure. Only way to know is to see what he does going forward. Not sure how much more can be gained going back and forth about the same things here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I totally hear you, i didn't even watch the third one. Someone did tell me to watch the extended editions, that they add a lot more charm, and i may one day, but honestly i have little interest.

The extended, even of the third, adds a lot of great stuff, but it also adds the Legolas Bat Scene which is about as dumb as his trunk slide in RotK.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My implication is, that at the point where you insult a Moderator's decision and call this board's moderation "dubious" you're making it very, very goddamn obvious that you're Staning for Larry.

I'd agree if they were the only one doing it, but they weren't so I don't think that's quite so obvious. And I feel weird talking about someone like this, but: they also didn't post in support of Larry when he showed up or anything like that, and as they said, their post history doesn't really back this up; you can easily see how they lean in political topics and they even posted in here before without mentioning liking Larry and such. People complaining about the moderation (and more specifically for me, people bringing in the context of the old site) is def. generally a red flag for me too, but I don't think this is what it looks like.

So I'm trying to compile the things posted in response to his post, but they largely overlap. There's been a lot of discussion about specific tweets, for example and I don't think every post agreeing on that matters if this is for the purpose of what he should answer or explain. So hopefully the following is as complete as it needs to be. Also, as someone involved there's an admitted bias here but this should be accurate; along those lines, please let me know if I've missed something you think is important.

Contradictions in behavior both within thread and between thread and recently:
#3644 (my own post, with all the links to things he's said)
#3702 (my own post, mainly repeating parts of 3644)
#3710 (my own post; similar to above)

Discussion of how he should address it/say something on Twitter:
#3656 (my own post)

Asking about him becoming Verified:

I would say post 3644 is the thing to reply to if he's going to reply to anything, since I think it's the most complete, but that's my bias in play.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Thread derailment.

If that is your take away you are mistaken. I called the moderation questionable because I have noticed, more than just this thread, confusing signals being sent by more than one moderator saying two different things.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Grizzly it's probably good to add the Jewario stuff for newcomers to get them up to speed
On a somewhat lighter note, Linkara posted a new video yesterday. It's title is distressingly appropriate for recent events.

Teen Titans: Betrayal and Aftershock, Parts 1 & 2 - Atop the Fourth Wall

And one more thing to connect it to recent events; the Wario hat is no longer on his shelf.
Has he said anything about the recent events

but otherwise it's probably for the best

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Only Larry really knows how genuine his words are, and if what's he's said in his last post isn't enough, then keep an eye on his actions going forward. Or ignore him and move on. At the very least, making that statement here has likely upset some of his fanbase.

I know he's got some questionable shit to answer for but people are all just asking the same questions over and over. Anything he says in response could be a lie, sure. Only way to know is to see what he does going forward. Not sure how much more can be gained going back and forth about the same things here.

Sorry, missed this post.

It does look like the tweet he made to an Era poster immediately before he posted on Era seems to be getting some attention from GGers, at least, and it's picking up. There's some discussion of his posts here, but not nearly as much at a glance. I assume he might eventually have to say something one way or another on Twitter as a result.

Of course, it's very funny to me that they immediately took it at face value, but it's not surprising.

EDIT: Hmm, I guess one thread about his posts is getting RTs; just a lot more individual replies about the tweet.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If that is your take away you are mistaken. I called the moderation questionable because I have noticed, more than just this thread, confusing signals being sent by more than one moderator saying two different things.

There's no saying different things when a mod post is being directly redacted and replaced with another. Moderators are humans, they discuss decisions and sometimes they come to a different consensus than before, like this case. Considering our zero tolerance stance towards Gamergate, this is more than understandable.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no saying different things when a mod post is being directly redacted and replaced with another. Moderators are humans, they discuss decisions and sometimes they come to a different consensus than before, like this case. Considering our zero tolerance stance towards Gamergate, this is more than understandable.

I accept your apology for insinuating I am a gamer gate piece of trash.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have the exact time line, but after leaving CA he was doing alright for a while at least.
Things got really bad shortly after he started his Pateron site.

To be honest, the bad things started happening when he realized that he had to make the spoony movie. I think he basically had a prolonged panic attack, and started to self sabotage.

Guru Larry did make a very basic tweet saying he wasn't a GamerGater, it lined up a lot with his first post which is why i felt he was coming in with proper intentions, not just as a PR stunt to try to win over our community. Though i do appreciate the questions still being asked, some good points have been made and i actually wasn't aware of some of the more recent tweets that had been brought up.

The funny thing is, if you look at all of the replies to that tweet, you see a lot of the stuff Larry was afraid of starting to happen.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
He has, as I recall. Can't remember when though, but I remember him tweeting about it, and how little he and the other producers knew about it.

Where's the thread?

I'll PM you; I don't think it'd be good to give a GG thread attention here beyond noting that it exists.

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, we redact this modpost, we are allowing discussion on Gamergate in this thread, and we asked Larry to clarify his position on GG.
Just catching up on this stuff from last night, but thank you for this since the revelations from deepFlaw and myself that he still tacitly endorsed Kotaku in Action as late as last year never really got addressed. Thank you deepFlaw for looking into all of this as you have. I don't know if it is germane to the topic as well (so just ignore if it is), but it'd be nice if he still felt this way about "changing genders" and other SJW things:

https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/705905094441697280
https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/778954025106546688

It's hard to take someone seriously when they keep talking the talk even if they no longer walk the walk. And it'd be nice if we can just get this over with so we can move on. Speaking of...

Moving on....

Guess we're still waiting for a third CA statement, either in video form which may or may not go up today if they keep to their usual schedule, or not. Malcolm and Tamara have started tweeting again, but not this time about anything to do with CA. Still silence I gather from Brad Jones and everyone else, and no new revelations of anything.

As you can see in the first chart, they've already lost almost as many subscribers today as they did yesterday. Wonder why it's a bit of an uptick? But, the real thing is the second graph:
MiHaV6d.png

3eXVkYl.png

That Jack and Jill video had a soft heigh and isn't doing well on rebound. It's also still at 33% dislikes, which isn't moving at all at this point, and only 525,000 views (compared to 784k for Woody Woodpecker and 758 Beauty and the Beast, the last two ones).

If there's another review out today, I wonder if it launches even softer? We were speculating last week how the newest video was going to fair after all this started, but my curiosity was always if the second video was going to be the start of a trend, or if the one immediately after the news was just going to be an outlier. Who knows!

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, err, I was completely wrong on one point. Something was absolutely not displaying in my searches on iOS Twitter that is showing up now on desktop.

Ian Miles Cheong is tweeting about the thread and Larry's posts now, so please keep that in mind going forward.

EDIT: Well, I guess it was more that his name wasn't used and so it didn't show up till a reply happened. Regardless, be aware of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you be making fun of my charts! Just for that, here's another that shows they have indeed lost every subscriber they picked up in 2018 and are back to where they were at end of 2017.

ut9xCoh.png

Also, if anyone wants to know what has been happening at times in the spoony subreddit:

(the two posts have actual positive scores/upvotes).

Last edited: