• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's basically proving to be exactly who I thought he was. Which is good. Also sad in regards to the whole being a workhorse who was left out of the loop thing. Good on Linkara though;

I'm really surprised by how this situation seems to be revealing the true selves of a lot of the CA folks. Linkara has really proven to be a surprisingly positive force throughout this whole thing - I'm really proud of the guy.

And good for the Buster for responding like this, especially considering he's not on social media. If he didn't make this video it would've been real easy to view him as some opportunist hoping to fill the gap everyone else left upon leaving CA.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A note on Guru Larry, he also doesn't really follow up on stuff. Before I knew of his GG status, I was a fan of his. In several videos he made reference to either concepts he was going to do in a general sense ("More Films Yanks Can't Wank coming soon") or a very specific sense. Remember YT's GeekWeek? He did a video on Doctor Who games that he said he'll follow up on in a second parter. Still hasn't. Worst was an ending teaser in which he was to cover Cassete 50, done up 7+ years ago. And whenever someone asked, he said it was still in the pipeline.

Anyone have any other good YTers that focus on euro computer era stuff? Always interested in that timeframe for whatever reason.

cassis

Apr 13, 2018
Some people are made of assholes and need attention anyway possible, no matter who suffers.
I'm not even surprised that people are trying to capitalize on this. It's feels disgusting how NOT surprising it was to me.

Who knew the jackass who rallied against "SJW" would fuck up and release enough details for people to piece together things. Jesus Christ. I'm done for the day.
I think they also implied that Holly tried to stop them and cover it up. She subsequently refuted this on Twitter with screenshots. I'm hesitant to embed because their Twitter handle is on there and I refuse to bring any attention to them.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A note on Guru Larry, he also doesn't really follow up on stuff. Before I knew of his GG status, I was a fan of his. In several videos he made reference to either concepts he was going to do in a general sense ("More Films Yanks Can't Wank coming soon") or a very specific sense. Remember YT's GeekWeek? He did a video on Doctor Who games that he said he'll follow up on in a second parter. Still hasn't. Worst was an ending teaser in which he was to cover Cassete 50, done up 7+ years ago. And whenever someone asked, he said it was still in the pipeline.

Anyone have any other good YTers that focus on euro computer era stuff? Always interested in that timeframe for whatever reason.

Kim Justice is by far the best option for this. She is from the UK and covers 80s/90s era computers, developers and publishers, with a specifically euro-centric point of view, always very well researched. She also has covered other stuff (like a fascinating short documentary about the game industry in Africa), so I definitely would recommend you check her stuff out:
https://www.youtube.com/user/elmyrdehory

I think Kim is EXACTLY the kind of producer you are looking for. She even has done a vid on Cassette 50. lol

And of course there's Ashens, who, while mostly just unboxing or eating weird stuff, occasionally does look at obscure consoles, peripherals and the likes.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ashens

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Lurker here, just registered. Thank you all for the level-headed discussion so far. As someone who has experienced assault before, the lack of victim blaming in this forum makes me feel safe to participate.

On that note, I wanted to post that Holly is rightly furious right now because there's a new video on YT that has potentially outed one of the victims. It's awful. Please be aware. Like I said, I am a survivor, and this news literally made me dry heave.

Welcome cassis, welcome to ERA, it's a pretty nice place, TBH.

Also, that's horrible. Thanks for the heads up.

3xRnfvg.png

MFv3z8D.jpg

LbgCQP3.jpg

what a shitshow all round

It's DSP, he's a walking shitshow. I'm surprised that he didn't take Larry up on the offer. :P But I guess even him is smart enough to see what's going down.

I have no idea who this guy is, and so I say this with great trepidation especially after the last few weeks, but that video sure makes me feel sorry for him.

Also, "bad communication", "Rob shadow-CEO Walker responds", "Linkara kept the site alive". So far, all makes sense of what we know.

Never liked Rob Walker, he always came across like an ass who thought himself a bigger part of the shows than he was.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even surprised that people are trying to capitalize on this. It's feels disgusting how NOT surprising it was to me.

I think they also implied that Holly tried to stop them and cover it up. She subsequently refuted this on Twitter with screenshots. I'm hesitant to embed because their Twitter handle is on there and I refuse to bring any attention to them.

Absolutely do not do this. We don't need to bring any further attention to this shit. Again, as I have mentioned before, if it is not a Channel Awesome producer or cast member sharing their own experiences in a public, verified forum, it is not our business here on Era.

If I'm coming off as abrasive or overly aggressive here, I apologize. But it is incredibly important that we do not contribute to any of this hellstorm.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely do not do this. We don't need to bring any further attention to this shit. Again, as I have mentioned before, if it is not a Channel Awesome producer or cast member sharing their own experiences in a public, verified forum, it is not our business here on Era.

If I'm coming off as abrasive or overly aggressive here, I apologize. But it is incredibly important that we do not contribute to any of this hellstorm.

Especially if it could compromise the well-being of someone. Regardless of if they were involved or not, there is a real risk of people getting harassed if not worse. This is not something we should enable.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
omg! The Buster is here with his thoughts on Channel Awesome!

On a more positive note, just gonna quote this for the new page and repeat:

No seriously, get this dude some views/subs. He's not Lindsay, SFDebris, or Lupa, but definitely puts in the work and is better than some folks out there getting eyeballs on them.

I think it's reasonable to look after some of the smaller producers after this. Especially the ones who put in the work. They're doing the right thing and taking a potentially titanic hit to do so.

Ben Morales

Oct 28, 2017
USA

Previous posts covered the ones I was going to suggest! So, in addition, I would like to recommend Retro Core: https://www.youtube.com/user/Yakumo1975

He isn't totally focused on Euro computers, but he has a series called "Battle of the Ports" which covers arcade games and the various home ports they receive. And almost every episode covers Euro computer ports of them. It's quite enjoyable. Keep in mind, that in the first 30-40 episodes, there are no voice-overs. But every episode after that has commentary.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Kim Justice is by far the best option for this. She is from the UK and covers 80s/90s era computers, developers and publishers, with a specifically euro-centric point of view, always very well researched. She also has covered other stuff (like a fascinating short documentary about the game industry in Africa), so I definitely would recommend you check her stuff out:
https://www.youtube.com/user/elmyrdehory

I think Kim is EXACTLY the kind of producer you are looking for. She even has done a vid on Cassette 50. lol

And of course there's Ashens, who, while mostly just unboxing or eating weird stuff, occasionally does look at obscure consoles, peripherals and the likes.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ashens
I think she's worked with Larry, though. There's even a Beanie Baby video where they're almost identical, save for slight changes in footage. Larry left a comment explaining why there are basically two versions of the video:

"The story as to why she has the video on her channel first, was this video was meant to go up on my channel in December, but I had a major sore throat and had the flu, so suggested that she put it on her channel so she could take advantage of the December ad revenue (as it's the best month of the year) and I'd voice a slightly different version when I got a bit better. Kim's written and edited a number of my videos over the past 2 years"

I'm not saying this as someone who dislikes her content, I fully agree with you that if you want some good EU gaming content, but I just want to throw that out there. & obviously, I don't think she should be fully judged/defined by the fact she knows him.

cassis

Apr 13, 2018

Especially if it could compromise the well-being of someone. Regardless of if they were involved or not, there is a real risk of people getting harassed if not worse. This is not something we should enable.

Thank you, and I completely understand. I will speak of this no further.

On a positive note, Blockbuster Buster is clearly too good to ever have been associated with Doug & co. I'm glad he was able to get his voice out there.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

No seriously, get this dude some views/subs. He's not Lindsay, SFDebris, or Lupa, but definitely puts in the work and is better than some folks out there getting eyeballs on them.

I think it's reasonable to look after some of the smaller producers after this. Especially the ones who put in the work. They're doing the right thing and taking a potentially titanic hit to do so.

In all seriousness the guy seems to have a real passion for being a content producer, and he was very upfront and sincere in that video. Dude like that has room to grow, I'll give him a shot.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think she's worked with Larry, though. There's even a Beanie Baby video where they're almost identical, save for slight changes in footage. Larry left a comment explaining why there are basically two versions of the video:

"The story as to why she has the video on her channel first, was this video was meant to go up on my channel in December, but I had a major sore throat and had the flu, so suggested that she put it on her channel so she could take advantage of the December ad revenue (as it's the best month of the year) and I'd voice a slightly different version when I got a bit better. Kim's written and edited a number of my videos over the past 2 years"

I'm not saying this as someone who dislikes her content, I fully agree with you that if you want some good EU gaming content, but I just want to throw that out there. & obviously, I don't think she should be fully judged/defined by the fact she knows him.

Ashens has worked with Larry as well. I think the UK retro gaming YouTuber space is quite small, so there's bound to be crossing over. I don't think just working with Larry makes her less valuable as a content producer, since it's quite obvious she doesn't share some of his political views (since, y'know, she's trans).

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Ashens has worked with Larry as well. I think the UK retro gaming YouTuber space is quite small, so there's bound to be crossing over. I don't think just working with Larry makes her less valuable as a content producer, since it's quite obvious she doesn't share some of his political views (since, y'know, she's trans).
Absolutely understood, & I fully agree, I just wanted to put it out there since some people sound like they don't want anything to do with him, but I'm with you in that I don't think her relation with him should get in the way of her in terms as a person & the content being made, plus it seems she doesn't fully agree with his opinions.

I should check out Ashens, I think I own one of his books, "Terrible Games You've Probably Never Heard Of", which was a nice great.

Edit: If I may offer up another EU focused channel (though not always on EU consoles), Slope's Game Room is one I enjoy watching since his main series is Complete History of different game franchises, including obscure stuff like James Pond, Thing on a Spring, Road Rash, & he just did one on Fantasy Zone. He also has a Kickstarter series called Kickscammers.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
United States
Just finished watching the BBB's piece. He seems like a really sincere, passionate dude. To think that he does his show purely because he likes doing it, and because he wants to entertain others is heart warming. I wish him the best.

Also, I knew that he was nice but Linkara is a solid fucking force of goodness.

Both of them are way above that shitty, abusive, bullshit website.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017

I'll second this. I remember finding Blockbuster Buster way before he got picked up by CA, and I really enjoyed his stuff. Funnily enough, I never actually watched anything he did under the CA umbrella because by the time he was picked up, I'd moved on from that whole style of internet reviewer. But I'll always have a soft spot for him since I was there in the early days and saw how much he wanted to be part of CA and how hard he worked for it.

SuperBlur

Apr 10, 2018
lmao did you watch the whole thing?

If so, I am the comedy master for making you suffer through it. Call me the Blockbuster Buster Critic.

Compared to me you are nothing but an ant fighting the sun, mortal fool. I've ascended beyond suffering and became pain itself. Behold my might, and bow before my mastery of the laughing art.

Seriously though, think about it: he had to shoot several times and probably sat for a while trying to come up with the script. The fact that he still thought it was worth uploading says more about him than anyone ever could.

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
HE HATH SPOKEN!

No, seriously. As much of a punchline as he has been, someone get this man some views/subs.

(This is a dangerous post as I've not watched the video fully yet and things could get turbulent... But it's the Blockbuster Buster so I highly doubt that).

There have been a lot of jokes about him in this thread without anyone really knowing who he is

Turns out he truly was the embodiment of all the positive spirit, diligence and innocence that helped built channel awesome at one point.

And now he is taking what is left of it with him.

The false prophecies have become true.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't someone mention on Twitter that Brad might be a bit of a hostage in this situation out of fear of facing legal problems?

Irving intimated it, yes. There's speculation that Brad was going to be brought into the CA corporation (the 5th person Mchaud mentioned). I have my own suspicions that he was the 4th, after Mchaud, and the two walkers, and that Malcolm might be the 5th. But I dunno if Holly is still a shareholder, in which case she'd be the 4th (I guess Mike Ellis could also still be a shareholder, so who knows).

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't someone mention on Twitter that Brad might be a bit of a hostage in this situation out of fear of facing legal problems?

A friend of Brad's said on twitter that the reason Brad is staying silent is possibly to avoid a libel lawsuit. That's way different than being a hostage. Brad could, at least as far as we know, leave with no consequences as long as he doesn't aggressively shit-talk. On a side-note, I didn't realize he had a close relationship with the Walkers. I don't remember many cross-overs, etc, despite him being geographically not far away. The fact he wasn't one of the first to leave is mysterious to me.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK

Kim Justice - https://www.youtube.com/user/elmyrdehory - Has some great video essays about the history of the UK games industry. Team 17, The Bitmap Brothers, the history of Jack Tramiel (head of Commodore), Clive Sinclair. Lots of great stuff.

ChinnyVision - https://www.youtube.com/user/chinnyhill10 - Guy covers a bunch of games and looks at the various different versions across different formats, including BBC MIcro and the like.

Ashens - https://www.youtube.com/user/ashens - He does a lot of cheap tat and toy reviews, but he's also done a few videos (and two books) covering Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of. He's also done a bunch of videos from a computer museum of him showing off old and obscure computers they have in their vaults. Also, if you search "ashens presentation" on YouTube, it'll bring up a few presentations he did about the subject of old games, including an interesting one on a game called Hareraiser.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Going back to CA's second statement... what was the purpose of releasing this? Why would they attack the people releasing the document after their first statement, which admittedly was piss-poor but at least would've given them some semblance of grace in this sordid affair?

<doesnotcompute.gif>

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Going back to CA's second statement... what was the purpose of releasing this? Why would they attack the people releasing the document after their first statement, which admittedly was piss-poor but at least would've given them some semblance of grace in this sordid affair?

<doesnotcompute.gif>

Think it's fair to assume pride is a motivating factor, painfully ironic considering how much little they have by this point...

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
I'm a little bit late and this is a little off-topic, but it's definitely worth keeping in mind that the majority of GGers - while, even in the best possible reading, are complicit in dreadful actions and toxic ideology - weren't exactly all malicious evil bastards. There was definitely a core to GG which, using similar tactics the alt-right tends to use now, used a lot of whistleblowing and fake outrage to their advantage to get people on their side. Dan Olson has a great video on it, and Innuendo Studios has a great series on it. Dan Olson's is from when he still used the puppet though; am I the only one who found the thing a bit creepy? I mean hey, it's still an intelligent well-made video.

Note: Like I said, the latter is a series so it doesn't stop at that one video

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm a little bit late and this is a little off-topic, but it's definitely worth keeping in mind that the majority of GGers - while, even in the best possible reading, are complicit in dreadful actions and toxic ideology - weren't exactly all malicious evil bastards.
Why start this in here, again, this late in the conversation, on this board and in this thread? If I'll try to not immediately jump to "Oh boy, another one of those", then what's your point with this crap?

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Why start this in here, again, this late in the conversation, on this board and in this thread? If I'll try to not immediately jump to "Oh boy, another one of those", then what's your point with this crap?

It's sorta relevant due to a lot of usual suspects from the GG crowd jumping aboard this train to stir shit up again & launching conspiracies against their usual targets that are involved in this mess.

Shitstorms like this do attract shit flies after all.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's sorta relevant due to a lot of usual suspects from the GG crowd jumping aboard this train to stir shit up again & launching conspiracies against their usual targets that are involved in this mess.

Shitstorms like this do attract shit flies after all.
I'm not talking about "talking about Gamergate" per se, more about the whole "Heey they're not all bad! Most Gamergaters are decent folk" angle. Maybe I'm overreacting, but geez I've seen this way too often.

maboroshi

Apr 12, 2018
I'm not talking about "talking about Gamergate" per se, more about the whole "Heey they're not all bad! Most Gamergaters are decent folk" angle. Maybe I'm overreacting, but geez I've seen this way too often.

generally it's dangerous to think that of a group, if you think rigidly about those whose views you despise, you lose the ability to work against them effectively. Not to defend gg or anything.

edited, still working out how to use quotes

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

That's ... not at all what Kurona said though? I assume when Kurona talked about "not all being malicious bastards", she's specifically talking about the baph/kiwi-types who legitimately are purely in it
to cause as much misery and pain as possible, often having "Drive victim to suicide" as an ideal end goal.

I don't think "You're not literally evil" automatically translates to "hey you're decent".

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That's ... not at all what Kurona said though? I assume when Kurona talked about "not all being malicious bastards", he's specifically talking about the baph/kiwi-types who legitimately are purely in it
to cause as much misery and pain as possible, often having "Drive victim to suicide" as an ideal end goal.

I don't think "You're not literally evil" automatically translates to "hey you're decent".
Maybe I misunderstand, but to me it still sounds like he was saying what I thought he was saying. If I'm wrong though, I'm sorry for lashing out.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
Maybe I misunderstand, but to me it still sounds like he was saying what I thought he was saying. If I'm wrong though, I'm sorry for lashing out.
It's fine, it's not what I meant though I can see how it could be misconstrued that way. Like I said though, it doesn't excuse them -- they're still complicit in disgusting actions and ideology. It's more or less meant as a response to how earlier in the thread people like Brad and Hillary voters could still be a part of Gamergate despite Gamergate heavily conflicting with left-leaning views.

(also, that would be she)

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
omg! The Buster is here with his thoughts on Channel Awesome!

no joke - he has earned a sub from me. After watching the video it seems the guy's incredibly passionate and motivated about what he does (in terms of videos, at least) and has genuine appreciation* for his fans, so I can honestly look past whatever budgetary shortcomings there may be in his product if the guy can do good. And he seems he's doing that. Feel a bit for him when laying it all out about not being "in the loop" - I know that feeling all too well, and it's as frustrating as it is heartbreaking. Makes you feel underappreciated, like all the shit you do basically means nothing.
But now he has the perfect chance to keep on going, move forward and... well, grow. So I hope my sub at least helps him a bit, and I hope he still finds a measure of happiness in doing those videos.

And good on Linkara for being a total bro. Really, how he acted with ERod speaks volumes about his decency. Hope they can still collaborate in the future.

So... yeah, good on ERod, and good on Linkara.
-----------------------

*: as opposed to not giving a flying fuck about your fanbase and only seeing them as numbers to measure your ego with.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
Hah, I didn't know, apologies for assuming. Also, again, I got you wrong and I went too harshly, I'm way too easily irritated when it comes to GG with the board's history and all. You're right, of course.
Nah nah, you're fine. I wouldn't dream of defending GGers in a million years but what I said is... VERY easy to see as that, especially when I just joined yesterday and we've had The Gamer Dragon. I absolutely understand getting irritated at the idea of people defending them.

Signed, The Kurona Dragon

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for Holly right now having to deal with this asshat on Twitter/YT. It's truly sad what people will do for cheap views.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
What the hell are DSP and Larry doing?

Especially Larry. What is wrong with him? He hasn't talked directly about this whole deal so far and has only made jokes about how he's the top contributor now. The hell's his problem?

I wonder if Holly's tweet has something to do with REDACTED.

He posted a video yesterday talking about one of the victims coming to him and sharing her story. He doesn't name the victim but I guess the details he gives were enough for people who knew her to guess who it was.

Last edited:

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The closest probably would be Diamanda Hagan.

Full disclosure: I have done voice work for Hagan, so I do have a positive bias towards her.

I knew I recognized the GL Duck Rogers avatar and username! I used to see you all the time in the TGWTG comment sections.

Alien Antfarm covers a good amount of retro PC games mixed in with obscure PC games. He's got a weird sense of humor that you can't help to love and he really gets into the games and it's just infectious. He was also a part of TGWTG years ago but I believe left after the rebranding. Here's the latest video that he's done

Larry has a way of toning down his Shitlord tendacies when working with others or he knows he's not in a GG/Political space. If you asked most online folk about him, they usually just tell you about either one of his videos they like or how he's on a bunch of YouTubers comment section. A good example was a few backs he was the guest on a podcast and when one of the host said some of his usual edgy schtick, Larry got a lot more lose with his shit.

A friend of Brad's said on twitter that the reason Brad is staying silent is possibly to avoid a libel lawsuit. That's way different than being a hostage. Brad could, at least as far as we know, leave with no consequences as long as he doesn't aggressively shit-talk. On a side-note, I didn't realize he had a close relationship with the Walkers. I don't remember many cross-overs, etc, despite him being geographically not far away. The fact he wasn't one of the first to leave is mysterious to me.

Yeah I think he knew Doug before the whole NC thing because Brad's video go back all the way to 2005. And the only reason I haven't completely given up on Brad is because yeah the legal stuff CAN be that complicated. It can take up to a several years for ownership paperwork to actual go through and this could have been a process that's been happening for awhile now and it's too late to just jump out of without paying heavy fines or having a case against you. And we see how spiteful Michad and Rob are so if they feel betrayed they might drag Brad into court for it. Now whether or not they have a case is up to the courts, but it's going to drain a butt ton of money either way.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell are DSP and Larry doing?

Especially Larry. What is wrong with him? He hasn't talked directly about this whole deal so far and has only made jokes about how he's the top contributor now. The hell's his problem?

I wonder if Holly's tweet has something to do with REDACTED.

He posted a video yesterday talking about one of the victims coming to him and sharing her story (which turns out Jackula met JewWario minutes after it had happened). He doesn't name the victim but I guess the details he gives were enough for people who knew her to guess who it was.

He is a real piece of shit for posting that video. Not only that, the way he described the details was incredibly distasteful. How did he not think that this would shed more light on the victim?

Last edited: