• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MM2Dylan

Apr 13, 2018
Virginia
No, he's definitely counting Brad. He said there have been murmurs of it on Discord (whose, I dunno), and Brad's also removed his links to CA from his website.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning of this thread people were horrified that someone wasn't allowed to mourn a video in mourning of JewWario, and now they're horrified by JewWario. I don't mean that as a criticism - it's natural that those stances should change considering what has come out. But it highlights how suddenly this has developed and how sudden the implosion of this business is.

But I guess it isn't sudden in a way. It seems like this was a long time coming. If there was an exodus after To Boldly Flee, it was just an early warning sign that the site was going to collapse due to its toxic culture. The only reason they managed to ride it out is no one knew the whole story and how bad it was.

If the channel dies right now, that's probably for the best. Tolerating abuse shouldn't be the cost of doing business. Hopefully the content producers aren't burned in the process; maybe they're still able to network between each other as they transition to whatever they do next.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Oh what the fucking fuck. JewWario is supposed to have committed sexual assault?! He's the one person out of all of these hacks that I was able to put up with, primarily because of that 'You are not stupid' video he made, which I thought was one of the most beautiful things on YouTube. Well, I guess it still is in a way, but I'm gonna have a hard time looking at it the same way again.

EDIT: Finally read the Reddit posts about it. Holy fuck, such scum.

Last edited:

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finding out that Channel Awesome was (and probably still is) chockful of sex abusers / horrible monsters has made my head spin. Not quite sure what's real or not; I've heard so many things about this that I'm just ready for Channel Awesome to just fuckin' go away forever.

What makes me actually sick to my stomach is the thought that, there were signs of all this, and I didn't recognize them for what they were. LordKat, who I actually had some sort of interaction with (not sure what to call the quality of said interaction), I knew he was disgruntled, but I didn't recognize that he was probably disgruntled because Channel Awesome sucked so bad.

I look back at what happened with Spoony, and, at first, I saw it and I didn't understand at all what had happened. But, if you look back on what he said, I think you can very easily now realize something: That was probably the quality of interactions that male producers had with female producers inside the company. That's why Spoony felt comfortable to say what he said, and didn't at all expect the backlash. There's probably tons more that's liable to come out-- stuff that makes what happened today look tame.

It bothers me that the signs were all there in front of us, but because no one really said anything in any sort of language that we'd understand, and no one articulated how bad things were until just recently, we had all the signs, all the angry people, all the dissatisfied and broken people fully displaying the symptoms of a sick organization, but we couldn't interpret it, because we truly didn't know what we were looking at. (Or, at least I didn't.)

Anyway fuck Channel Awesome I love you bye

LordKat is a gamergater and very active on a forum that doxxes "SJW" people, I don't think him being "disgruntled" has anything to do with the current TGWTG exodus.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
At the beginning of this thread people were horrified that someone wasn't allowed to mourn a video in mourning of JewWario

That bit was a part of the overall treatment a producer experienced from a major executive at CA.
I mean, it certainly was a part of it, but not really the important bit, it just was the culmination of it.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really, knowing the shit that guy throws around, he'd probably felt more comfortable if all this stuff had been in the open when he was still around.

Possibly.
I just know he left of his own volition because I used to moderate his chat. He wanted to pursue his streaming, and he was moderately big back in that day.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That bit was a part of the overall treatment a producer experienced from a major executive at CA.
I mean, it certainly was a part of it, but not really the important bit, it just was the culmination of it.

I know, there isn't any one point that sums up this whole situation, but it seemed to be a point that struck people as particularly horrific.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Possibly.
I just know he left of his own volition because I used to moderate his chat. He wanted to pursue his streaming, and he was moderately big back in that day.

Yeah, I know, I just found it ironic that LordKat of all people was the one that poster used as an indicator that something may have been "off" with CA, lol. LordKat would'a loved the toxic masculinity aspect.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
LordKat... All I know of him is his rants on Spoony, who definitely had issues, but the rants made LordKat seem WORSE. Not a surprise if he's a gator.
TBH, the spoony situation was when I originally shied away from the whole CA thing, because Spoony seemed indicative of an overall... issue with people thinking certain things were okay and funny.

I know, there isn't any one point that sums up this whole situation, but it seemed to be a point that struck people as particularly horrific.

True that. It did stick out and you're right that the whole thing sure put a 180 on that one.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'd long wondered what might happen to an online reviewer who fell into obscurity after long term success. Would it actually mean anything, or would potential employers look at their resumes as though they were blank sheets?

Guess Doug'll find that out soon enough.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never really pegged LordKat as a Gamergater to be honest if he was anything during that mess of an event that happened he was a troll who loved to rag on everyone involved with it and just laugh while poking fun of the whole thing from the sidelines.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I never really pegged LordKat as a Gamergater to be honest if he was anything during that mess of an event that happened he was a troll who loved to rag on everyone involved with it and just laugh while poking fun of the whole thing from the sidelines.

"People are getting death threats from a crazy mob that's screaming obscenities, let's mock everyone involved, including the victims and normal people thinking this shit isn't cool. Boy does that make me look good!"
-Lordkat, probably. Totally neutrally so.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I just caught up to whats going on.

I'm not really sure what to say about all this. I was a fan of Nostalgia critic back in the day, then I slowly realized that I really wasn't laughing at his videos anymore, and stopped watching. I don't really have more of a connection to him than that. Certainly never knew about JewWario before his suicide, and I was more of a fan of Spoony than anyone else, and we all know how that turned out.

Point is, I felt I was pretty long distanced from this, but reading everything and I guess also being a fan of Lindsay currently, it....it just hit dark depths I didn't expect it to.

All I can say is that Doug needs to be as ashamed of himself right now as he humanly can be.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
If the rumours of Brad Jones leaving CA are true then that's great. It was one thing for him to stand by Doug + co during the mass exodus because of friendship but the whole thing keeping quiet about JewWario...you damn right he should leave at that point. Same goes with Angry Joe too who also left. No fucking way are they wanting to be associated with them after this. Wouldn't make sense too. What's really unfortunate is how deep Brad Jones was. That failed show personifies the utter incompetance of CA and he's the poster child of it :( Fuck Doug, Mike, Rob.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If the rumours of Brad Jones leaving CA are true then that's great. It was one thing for him to stand by Doug + co during the mass exodus because of friendship but the whole thing keeping quiet about JewWario...you damn right he should leave at that point. Same goes with Angry Joe too who also left. No fucking way are they wanting to be associated with them after this. Wouldn't make sense too. What's really unfortunate is how deep Brad Jones was. That failed show personifies the utter incompetance of CA and he's the poster child of it :( Fuck Doug, Mike, Rob.

Joe left before the Jewwario stuff came out to his credit.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"People are getting death threats from a crazy mob that's screaming obscenities, let's mock everyone involved, including the victims and normal people thinking this shit isn't cool. Boy does that make me look good!"
-Lordkat, probably. Totally neutrally so.

Honestly I don't think he gave a damn how it made him look he likes and enjoys being a troll/ass so he decided to be just that and not care how it made him look.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good grief. I had never heard of Justin until RFN brought him up after he took his own life and most of what I know of him are things relating to his depression which were brought up in the course of that event. Didn't watch any of his videos, only some stuff he did with other producers from CA (his two videos with Nash, FB and Lewis and some Troma movie riff he made with Diamanda), but this still hits hard.

I hope people are able to move on from this, especially Lindsay whose Twitter feed yesterday was anything but a joy to watch. Her stuff's way better and more interesting than the angry review shtick, which, as has been pointed out, has become stale and tired.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that stuff about JewWario... yikes. Shame on Doug and Rob for hiding that from everyone all this time. I can only imagine how his victims are feeling right now.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh really? I must've seen an old tweet yesterday when the news broke. Tweet said that his content will not cross-post to CA effective immediately. Perhaps I misunderstood and thought he posted it after the JewWario stuff came out.

If you look back at my post history I was the first to notice his website purge in this topic which was a decent bit before his tweet.

Falcs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not that I'm defending them, but what could/should CA have done about the JewWario stuff? I mean, they fired him. Should they really have made it public? Wouldn't most companies want to avoid that kind of bad publicity?
And then after he committed suicide, wouldn't that make it even harder to bring it up?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I'm defending them, but what could/should CA have done about the JewWario stuff? I mean, they fired him. Should they really have made it public? Wouldn't most companies want to avoid that kind of bad publicity?
And then after he committed suicide, wouldn't that make it even harder to bring it up?
They didn't do anything for a year

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

As mentioned, there was a year between his departure and his suicide. Even if not making it public, they could have at least notified the staff, especially those who continued to collaborate with him while not knowing what he'd done.

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada

Not only did they not tell anyone, when he died they made a mourning while knowing what he did for profits. It makes me sick in my stomach.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Not only did they not tell anyone, when he died they made a mourning while knowing what he did for profits. It makes me sick in my stomach.

In the document, the anonymous says that she was child-groomed by JewWario. It's worth pointing out that she also states she was of legal consent at the time -- 18 years old. Someone saying they were in fact of age, but 16 in her own mind (how does one determine their mental age, after all?), is troubling to me. Especially when the accused is no longer around to defend himself. However, the other person who apparently woke up while he was having sex with her seems pretty cut & dry awful and clearly rape.

I'm not really giving JewWario any benefit of the doubt however. Cause really, if a place as unprofessional as Channel Awesome felt the need to give someone the boot, there must have been some terrible shit going on. Seeing the Doug Walker "obituary" where he damn well knew the issue is unsettling. I don't know why Channel Awesome would bury news like that. Doug should have at least said "JewWario was often kind but had a troubled personal life" without getting into specifics. Anything really. Instead it looks like a big cover-up.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

It's a tough call. Not disclosing some of it pretty much meant the victims had to not only deal with knowing what happened, but also with the knowledge that they would not be believed, while their abuser keeps getting heralded as awesome and a paragon of niceness and empathy.

At the very least the staff should have been warned. Still a tough call, with the internet being what it is. A public announcement probably wouldn't have been wise and would only have led to """""sleuthing""""" against the victims. (as much as I believe it would have been the right thing to do to make it FULLY public once proven, I also believe it might not have been wise, especially at the time)

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I mean regardless of how they handled the situation back in the day, they just outted Jewario, presumably against the wishes of the accuser in the doc, because they lacked the basic competence to even post a petty "response" article without fucking everything up.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
The criticism I see here toqard NC's output is making me look back at the stuff I did in the last 3 years and re-evaluate it.

Since Doug was one of my early inspirations I'm afraid I fell into the same traps he fell into. Granted, the budget stuff I can't really help with, as I got close to no funds on what I do, but that's no excuse to try and see if my writing can get better, which clearly can, as long as I have the actual skills for it. I do reference things from movies, games and the like, but I wonder where I should draw the line, where a reference becomes just a rip-off.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
All of this coming back has been a strange mix of nostalgia and horror.

When I was 16-19 I watched TGWTG pretty religiously and it was my first real exposure to internet "content", even defining my online persona for a while, but eventually I dropped off hard after finding Doug Walker's shtick more grating than funny, while Spoony's brand of cynicism was leading me down a pretty dark "everything sucks" mindset. I think Linkara and Lindsay's videos helped me break out of that mold a bit, but I never wanted the baggage that came with the site, so I ended up cutting it out of my life entirely. Finding out it still existed during my University years was just kinda amusingly baffling.

Then all of this broke and it all just came flooding back. On the plus side, finding out some of the content creators (like Lindsay) kept going and evolving is awesome and I've already subscribed to her channel. Just a shame it had to come alongside such shocking revelations that kinda redefine a pretty significant time in my online history. I'm glad I never bothered with JewWario, at least.

What adds to the oddness is that I attempted to get in on similar content creation with my own (very bad) video. Makes me wonder where I'd be now if I kept at it.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (4 Days) - Internet Detective work, quoting hate sites, Ignoring mod post
Mod Edit: Quotes from Hate Site removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He's extreme enough to be part of the GG crowd that makes fun of Sargon for not being enough of a Nazi, that's another kind of low.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
LTTP but I just saw the comments for that petty response post by CA. They are getting chewed out hard by some diehard fans.

De Amigo

Dec 19, 2017
Imagine how awful Tamara and those other intern people must feel. They've gotta juggle between leaving and basically having no income or staying around and putting up with your scummy (and increasingly guilty) bosses.