Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

@chancetherapper= Fortnite should put the actual rap songs behind the dances that make so much money as Emotes. Black creatives created and popularized these dances but never monetized them. Imagine the money people are spending on these Emotes being shared with the artists that made them

I've seen a few other people talk about Fortnite popularizing hip-hop dance moves without giving credit to the creators.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
He's not wrong, but who's to say one 'invented' a certain move? Body movements can't really be copyrighted, can they now?

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Lol it sets a dangerous precedent if we try to copyright gestures/body movements.

May 3, 2018
Makes sense to me. I hate the music they have play over the emotes currently, and would much rather listen to a Chance sample or whatever other artists the dances draw from. Plus, you can circumvent having a whole generation of teens calling them the "Fortnite dances" this way.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the most basic thing that should be in place if it wasn't normal to exploit artists of their creations and not pay them.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Music copyright holders should stop being so fucking draconic so developers can actually use the music to appropriately go with the dance it's from

I'm very sure Epic wouldn't sweat the idea of licensing music for Fortnite but copyright holders make simple shit like re-releasing games with licensed music an absolute chore

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does one even prove they created a dance move?

And including rap songs? Not going to happen. This is a family friendly game, and most rap songs aren't.

Seems like a naive take.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't the problem behind that be the whole issue the music industry has with the actual labels making a vast majority of the money from a deal that would be made between them and Epic to include their music in the game? They're not about to go try and find out the origin of every single dance in the game and pay the insane amount of money they would have to pay to include that music in the game.

Also, I'd assume most of the music wouldn't exactly be fitting for a T-rated game.

He is right, copying and stealing from the black culture is the norm though so nothing will happen.
What in the fuck

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Hell no. That leads to copyrighting of body movements and I don't think anybody wants that.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, am I supposed to pay royalties to some old German family every time I do a waltz? Sounds kinda silly to be paying to use dance moves in a game

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
He is right, copying and stealing from the black culture is the norm though so nothing will happen.

I mean, am I supposed to pay royalties to some old German family every time I do a waltz? Sounds kinda silly to be paying to use dance moves in a game
i think there is a tiny difference when a corporation is making money from it

joeyjoejoe99

Oct 30, 2017
It's a nice thought but not realistic. Epic knows what they're doing. They aren't about to give a slice of the pie without legally having to and at this point any gesture / mocap move added to the game can't be copywritten.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

i think there is a tiny difference when a corporation is making money from it
Is there though? There have been scenes with people dancing in movies and TV since the medium has existed and this is the first I've ever heard of someone trying to get royalties for creating the dance moves depicted.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Copyright law is already fucked beyond repair and I am sure the people that are already benefitting from it now, would manage to exploit this as well. It's a nice sentiment but it's sadly not realistic.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's a nice thought but this isn't going to happen unless one of two things happen:
1) The backlash is so big that the loss in real bucks made by V-Bucks greatly outweighs the cost of licensing the songs out
2) The artists change copyright law to include bodily movements and then go on to successfully sue Tencent
So, in conclusion, it's not going to happen.

EDIT: The latter option also assumes that Tencent won't just use their billions to just buy the rights up as soon as possible since a change in the law like that would not retroactively gift the copyright to whoever manages to prove they created the dance move.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure sounds good, just let me know who "owns" the rights to each dance? Is it the person who first did the moves, who first popularized them, or who is most associated with them?

ManUtd

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sweden/Norway
Dance moves themselves are not trademarkable because they are not used to identify where goods or services originate, unlike a logo, slogan, or brand name. ... However, a dance move can be trademarked in that the name of that dance move can be trademarked.

Domstercool

Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. I'd hate for people to buy them when they have music behind them, only to then have to remove them because the license ran out... It's one of the things I hate about digital products and the license agreements. Many cool things have been changed because of shoddy licenses going out of date. Permanent license for the game title or nothing.

May 4, 2018
I may out myself as a problematic un-woke bigot who probably prays to Jesus and hates puppies (spoiler alert: I don't) but the employees who pour their hearts and soul into a product are more deserving of profit sharing than the "creative" types who are paid millions to gyrate on the idiot box.

Now if you can actually find me the poor kid in the ghetto who people like Chance usually steal their moves from, my options may change.