DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Chad Stahelski, who Deadline already told you was set to direct the reboot of Highlander starring Henry Cavill, has inked a deal with Lionsgate to oversee the creative on both that franchise and John Wick. Remember, John Wick is beginning to spinoff with the Ballerina this summer; Stahelski already an EP on that film.
Stahelski will have supervision of the brands across film, television, and all multimedia platforms. "The director and his team at 87Eleven Entertainment have taken the lead in designing a comprehensive multi-platform content strategy for both franchises," reads a press release this AM.
Stahelski will work side by side with the franchise producers – Thunder Road's Basil Iwanyk and Erica Lee on the Wick franchise and Neal H. Moritz and the estate of the late Peter S. Davis on Highlander.
"This deal expands on the great creative relationship we already have in place on John Wick and extends it to our Highlander franchise," Joe Drake, the outgoing chair of the Lionsgate Motion Picture Group and Adam Fogelson, chair of the MPG, said. "From the outset, Chad has been the creative force defining the world of Wick; as we continue to think about the future for that world, we want Chad, working together with Basil Iwanyk and Erica Lee of Thunder Road, as our stewards guiding us and strategizing together at every step. This deal makes it official, and we look forward to his steady hand and creative input not just on the film he is making, but other stories that arise from it. He is a true visionary, and we are thrilled to have him in our corner."
"I am pleased to be able to grow my relationship with Lionsgate in this new oversight role for the John Wick universe and its further expansion," said Stahelski. "John Wick is so close to my heart and to be able to continue shepherding it will be a blast for me. I'm so happy to also be launching another franchise with Highlander, a world that is so rich with engaging stories to be told."
deadline.com

Chad Stahelski Inks Pact With Lionsgate To Have Oversight Of ‘John Wick’ & ‘Highlander’ Franchises; Filmmaker Already Set To Helm Action-Fantasy Reboot

Chad Stahelski, who Deadline already told you was set to direct the reboot of Highlander starring Henry Cavill, has inked a deal with Lionsgate to oversee the creative on both that franchise and Jo…

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
Fantastic. I just watched John Wick 2-4 recently for the first time and adored the films.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Highlander being next has me hyped. Wasn't there news and rumors of a game as well? Guess that'll fall under this new arrangement.

Downside, the Ghost of Tsushima adaptation is likely still years away.

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
I need Halle Berry character Sofia John Wick spin-off ASAP.

Her going to get her daughter back, I mean the damn story is right there!!! Why are they ignoring it!!!!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need Halle Berry character Sofia John Wick spin-off ASAP.

Her going to get her daughter back, I mean the damn story is right there!!! Why are they ignoring it!!!!
it honestly felt very weird that after 3 came out and had this awesome Black female character in it with a backstory that is enough to fuel her own movie, in addition to her having beloved dogs, the producers went "hey let's give a spin-off movie to this random white girl who appeared for 10 seconds and who didn't have any lines".

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
it honestly felt very weird that after 3 came out and had this awesome Black female character in it with a backstory that is enough to fuel her own movie, in addition to her having beloved dogs, the producers went "hey let's give a spin-off movie to this random white girl who appeared for 10 seconds and who didn't have any lines".
That's probably the major reason as everything is unknown about her besides having the same training as John.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Was he involved much with The Continental? I know he was an EP on it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Highlander has long been in need of a reboot, and I can't think of a better person to do it than Chad Stahelski.

Also, they should get Queen again to do the soundtrack again.

Retsudo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Highlander being next has me hyped. Wasn't there news and rumors of a game as well? Guess that'll fall under this new arrangement.

Downside, the Ghost of Tsushima adaptation is likely still years away.

Hmmm a Souls like could actually work with Highlander. As long as the mobs don't decapitate the player, it would be logical in world to return to life.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Highlander has long been in need of a reboot, and I can't think of a better person to do it than Chad Stahelski.

Also, they should get Queen again to do the soundtrack again.

So much this. Never been a huge fan of Highlander, because the franchise has almost always been an absolute fucking mess. It's literally the perfect franchise to be rebooted with someone to oversee it. It's pulp, it's fun, it's a badass universe for action, and it's been badly mishandled in the past. Stahelski is one of the better pulp action directors working in Hollywood these days; and Cavill too, is an actor with a penchant for involving himself in pulp genre work and action choreography. Match made in heaven.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As a big fan of John Wick and Highlander, I am excited for this news.

Really looking forward to Highlander. Cavill is a good choice there as well.

I was actually rewatching the Highlander TV series, and it's so ridiculous and fun, but gets really good in later seasons. It's certainly an IP that has a lot of potential both as a reboot of the Connor and Duncan McCloud stories, but also for spinoff stories set in that world. I'm very curious to see how this reboot pans out. I honestly feel like it works better as a series than film, but we can have both!

EDIT: A Highlander soulslike could also be really fun. That tension in combat, which could result in you losing your head, could be pretty intense for combat encounters. Especially if losing your head was a legit game over. Otherwise, you just respawn lol

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
They're developing a second John Wick TV series that might bring back past characters.
I clicked for the part you mentioned and couldn't cut the video off until the end. Chad Stahelski was so insightful.
Was he involved much with The Continental? I know he was an EP on it.
According to the video in the first quote, not really. He said he and Keanu Reeves were consulted but that they had very little to do with The Continental. His words were that it was a "completely separate energy" from what he's doing with his upcoming John Wick series.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Soo what about Ghost of Tsushima? 😭
He should make crossover
Some time after the death of his wife Heather in the 16th century, the immortal Scottish Highlander Connor MacLeod travels to Japan to train with an immortal named Nakano, a sorcerer (said to be a master of illusion) and old friend of the Highlander's late teacher Juan Sánchez-Villalobos Ramírez. In a cave in Mount Niri, Nakano teaches MacLeod how to fight with the katana that once belonged to Ramírez. He also warns of Kane, an evil immortal making his way across Asia with two immortal henchmen named Khabul Khan and Senghi Khan.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having read/watched a lot of interviews with Stahelski, he seems like a driven, thoughtful guy. Glad he's staying involved with the Wick stuff.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Hmmm a Souls like could actually work with Highlander. As long as the mobs don't decapitate the player, it would be logical in world to return to life.

Not gonna lie the original leak premise for Elden Ring reminded me a helluva lot like Highlander too, IE travelling the continent confronting lords of their kingdoms to defeat and gain their power until you're the last and strongest.