Which is the better unit of measurement?

• Celsius

Votes: 1,414 78.6%
  • Fahrenheit

Votes: 297 16.5%
  • Kelvin

Votes: 87 4.8%

• Total voters

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Exactly as it says in the title - which of the two is the better unit of measurement?

The rest of the metric and imperial systems are not mentioned because who in their right mind would use pounds and miles?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Celsius. Farenheit is dumb as hell and the only time it's ever used in the UK these days is so stupid papers can say it's 100 degrees in a heatwave

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. It's simple and logical. Celcius is the only acceptable answer.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Fahrenheit forever. It actually deals with normal possible temperatures for humans on a range of 0-100 and as such is massively more useful for communicating weather and comfort information. I'm not a water molecule; I'm a person and as a such I care about people specific methods of measurement infinitely more, because I don't especially care about or need to measure/be aware of the relative activity level of a random element which I am not. If I want a scientific approach I'd use Kelvin. Celsius is useless.

If you want to pretend like you boil water by setting a temperature on a stove and then letting it sit there, or freeze water by setting a temperature in a freezer and hoping you got it right, be my guest. I'm going to live in the land of practical reality.

Last edited:

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Come on, that's Celcius with a translation.

Fahrenheit forever. It actually deals with normal possible temperatures for humans on a range of 0-100 and as such is massively more useful for communicating weather and comfort information. I'm not a water molecule; I'm a person. If I want a scientific approach I'd use Kelvin. Celsius is useless.
If "normal possible temperatures" is what Fahrenheit is about, they may want to reconsider the scale a hundred years from now, thanks to global warming.

OP
OP
Ramsay

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Fahrenheit: 0 is cold, 100 is hot. Simple as that.

Honestly, when have you ever used the upper half of the Celsius scale outside of cooking (which seemingly every recipe online uses Fahrenheit)?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
With just a cup of water you can categorically tell the range of temperature you're in.
100°F is like body temperature but this changes so wildly depending on the condition of the person that it borders on uselessness.
What the fuck is 0°F, who the fuck cares it's not something you'll ever need to even experience.
On top of that any calculation on temperature with other dimensions becomes wonky because it's so arbitrary
Fahrenheit is what inches and stones are to the metric system : useless shit that makes life harder for no reason.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Fahrenheit forever. It actually deals with normal possible temperatures for humans on a range of 0-100 and as such is massively more useful for communicating weather and comfort information. I'm not a water molecule; I'm a person. If I want a scientific approach I'd use Kelvin. Celsius is useless.

You're 60% water molecules. Checkmate.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Fahrenheit just seems extremely arbitrary. 0 and 100 degrees Celsius are highly important points on the scale.

Also should have included Indigo Prophecy on the poll.

Fahrenheit forever. It actually deals with normal possible temperatures for humans on a range of 0-100 and as such is massively more useful for communicating weather and comfort information. I'm not a water molecule; I'm a person as a such I care about people specific methods of measurement infinitely more, because I don't especially care about or need to measure/be aware of the relative activity level of a random element which I am not. If I want a scientific approach I'd use Kelvin. Celsius is useless.
Wait what is the significance of 100 degrees Fahrenheit?

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly depends on the context. For scientific measurement purposes, Celsius or Kelvin. Fahrenheit works better for anything else. Whole numbers in Celsius have too much of a range. As a number that represents how hot/cold the air/whatever feels to a human, Fahrenheit makes more sense.
Fahrenheit forever. It actually deals with normal possible temperatures for humans on a range of 0-100 and as such is massively more useful for communicating weather and comfort information. I'm not a water molecule; I'm a person as a such I care about people specific methods of measurement infinitely more, because I don't especially care about or need to measure/be aware of the relative activity level of a random element which I am not. If I want a scientific approach I'd use Kelvin. Celsius is useless.
This, basically.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
There's not a definitive best IMO.

For scientific purposes, it should most certainly be Celsius if for no other reason than to standardize.

That said, in terms of general usage in things like thermostats or non-science applications of weather (i.e. news forecasts), I feel like Fahrenheit works better in the sense that you don't have to drop into decimal points to establish smaller differences in temperature that are very noticeable to a human being.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Celsius is obviously better for any scientific purpose as it gives you a standard range based on an easily understood spectrum.

But Fahrenheit is significantly better for people living in temperate climates, where the 0-100 is "very cold" to "very hot." It allows more granularity than Celsius, which really only has ~40 degrees of livable temperature.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Honestly, when have you ever used the upper half of the Celsius scale outside of cooking (which seemingly every recipe online uses Fahrenheit)?
That's because you're only looking for cooking recipes in the angloworld where people still uses imperial system.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, that's Celcius with a translation.

If "normal possible temperatures" is what Fahrenheit is about, they may want to reconsider the scale a hundred years from now, thanks to global warming.
Either way, it's a much widely relevant and therefore much more useful scale to humans, because although I might contain a lot of water, I am not a water molecule.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Interesting, you as a person never have encountered a time where you need to consider frozen nor boiling water. (But also often enough need to know 0f, which is about -18C?)

What a strange life you must live!

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, you as a person never have encountered a time where you need to consider frozen nor boiling water.

What a strange life you must live!
I don't need to be aware of either of those temperatures to get to those points, although I still know them for Fahrenheit. If I was a scientist who often dealt with phase change I'd care, but I'm not.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
It comes down to what you are used to and if you can convey the information you want accurately (which would depend on who is the interlocutor). Both are good and fine, depending on who you are talking to. Having that in mind, I prefer Celsius, because that is what I am used to.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly depends on the context. For scientific measurement purposes, Celsius or Kelvin. Fahrenheit works better for anything else. Whole numbers in Celsius have too much of a range. As a number that represents how hot/cold the air/whatever feels to a human, Fahrenheit makes more sense.

This, basically.
So Celsius is good enough for science, but too inaccurate for everyday use

LastCaress

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both Celsius and Fahrenheit have the same degree of precision unless we're going to pretend that decimals don't exist or are complicated.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Celcius.

How cold? How hot? It didn't tell you anything much, edit- or at least I've never heard of the frame of reference used that is specifically relevant for a normal person.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
How often is the full 0-100 degree scale of Celsius useful in daily life as opposed to 0-100 degrees Fahrenheit?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Celsius is the objectively better unit of measure, but as an American I'm voting fahrenheit just to fuck with ya'll. It's what I grew up with using colloquially and so those fahrenheit numbers have more personal meaning for me, but since like 5th grade I've used celsius measures for any academic pursuits. Most people are taught both in the US, but the only one reinforced day to day -- TV, every day conversations, videogames, sports, etc -- is fahrenheit so after school a lot of that knowledge drops away unless you're in a field that temperature measurements are important.

Also shoutout to Fairbanks Alaska the only place in the US where people can say "Fahrenheit... Celsius... What's the difference?"

Aw758ZX.png

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Fahrenheit obviously. It makes the most sense.

0F is the freezing temperature of a brine mixture including ammonium chloride, which is far more useful for people to know than 0C being the freezing temperature of water. The boiling point of water is 212F, which is a much easier number to remember than 100C.

/s

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm old enough that both were in common usage for air temperature in my country growing up. Celsius makes much more sense and is superior. I only use Fahrenheit for cooking because all the damn instructions here still use it.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
All imperial measurements are pretty dumb and arbitrary. People saying farenheit are only really saying it because they are used to being told temperatires in farenheit if you were told temps in celcius all your life youd think celcius was the better measure of temperatures humans experience...

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I don't get this. Zero degree Fahrenheit is -17 in Celsius, while 100F is 37C. How often are you using those integers below 32F?

Fahrenheit feels like the IGN review scale of temperature measurement. Pointlessly granular.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Why would I need a range of 0-100 for communicating comfort information? What good does that granularity do? Celsius has decimal points and no one cares about them - Because most people can't tell the difference between say 22 and 23. You just check the general range (is it low 20s, high 20s, low 30s etc.)

trineo_feo

Oct 27, 2017

What? I don't think you have a grasp on how a temperature scale works lol
The upper half? There are no "halves", what are you talking about?

OP
OP
Ramsay

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Celcius.

How cold? How hot? It didn't tell you anything much
Fahrenheit:
  • 0: Extremely cold
  • 10: Very cold
  • 20: Chilly
  • 30: Cold
  • 40: Below average
  • 50: Average
  • 60: Above-average
  • 70: Nice weather
  • 80: Hot
  • 90: Very hot
  • 100: Extremely hot
Celsius:
  • 0: Cold
  • 10: Below average
  • 20: Above-average
  • 30: Very hot
  • 40: Extremely hot
  • 50: Everything's on fire and I'm dying!
  • 60: Everything's on fire and I'm dying!
  • 70: Everything's on fire and I'm dying!
  • 80: Everything's on fire and I'm dying!
  • 90: Everything's on fire and I'm dying!
  • 100: Everything's on fire and I'm dying! Oh, and an arbitrary point where water boils.
It's like the IGN review scale, only backwards!