Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty cool!

Is it something more companies and/or employees are asking to do? It's the first time I've seen this being something, honestly.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's pretty cool!

Is it something more companies and/or employees are asking to do? It's the first time I've seen this being something, honestly.

It was debated in the UK but the Tories shot it down early for being unfair to men or something like that lol

Cool move from CDPR

Apr 20, 2021
It was debated in the UK but the Tories shot it down early for being unfair to men or something like that lol

Cool move from CDPR
best approach is sick leaves for everyone.
the company I work in gives "unlimited sick leave" sure they will try to double check if you abuse it. so if a woman has a painful period she can ask for sick leave or work remotely etc...
I think this way it is fair to everyone.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
the company I work in gives "unlimited sick leave" sure they will try to double check if you abuse it. so if a woman has a painful period she can ask for sick leave or work remotely etc...

Yeah I don't disagree, I get sick leave but I've never checked how much I get.

Ultimately if you're in pain you won't be productive, the same as if you're exhausted and burnt out you won't be productive. More employers should implement non-punitive sick leave and paid time off policies to engineer a win-win situation where they get focused and engaged workers and people get the time off to recover, relax, recharge and enjoy their lives

Jul 26, 2018
It's great if they're getting more benefit time, if it's just "you can justify a sick day by saying you're on your period" but no more time is given this is just some PR move

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Yup, for example, last month here in spain the government approved to include "painful periods" (or do you call them period cramps in english?) as a valid reason to ask for a sick leave to the doctor. Before it wasn't protected and even if you were incapacitated by the period, the law didn't protect you and you had to rely on the goodwill of the employer.

I think this is a right that needs to be legislated and protected in every country, instead of leaving it to companies to decide.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
so what's the difference between this and just calling in sick? Does someone have to identify the reason why they are sick to their employee or something?

(living in Germany, so the idea of telling an employee about private health matters is foreign to me)

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If a company gives unlimited sick leave, that's fine but not all companies do sadly. If a person who menstruates needs to have leave for a few days in a month, that would be preferable compared to using up their sick leave if it's limited. And in countries like Spain, the state social security system will pay for such leave rather than employers. There's the issue if a person who menstruates doesn't want to disclose their menstrual health to their employer. But maybe that's down to sexist workplace culture where menstruating people don't feel comfortable to discuss a common and natural part of life. It's about to be implemented this year I believe and might serve as a test bed.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
I thought unlimited sick leave was standard all over Europe. It's at least mandatory in Germany.
Also, you shouldn't have to ask for it, you take it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Theres ... limited sick leave? Is Germany not normal in that regard? Or do you mean sick leave without going to the doc?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Hereby this initiative shall be called "projekt red"
Good for them!
ay-lupe-nacio-meme-viral.jpg

Apr 20, 2021
If a company gives unlimited sick leave, that's fine but not all companies do sadly. If a person who menstruates needs to have leave for a few days in a month, that would be preferable compared to using up their sick leave if it's limited. And in countries like Spain, the state social security system will pay for such leave rather than employers. There's the issue if a person who menstruates doesn't want to disclose their menstrual health to their employer. But maybe that's down to sexist workplace culture where menstruating people don't feel comfortable to discuss a common and natural part of life. It's about to be implemented this year I believe and might serve as a test bed.
I honestly don't mind if the menstruation leave is covered by the government social system or the employer that's just a detail but for me if a woman is in pain (because she is menstruating or something else) she is entitled for a sick leave. not all women will ask for that leave since not all of them will have painful period but women who do are entitled for a sick leave like me when I break my arm or have a stomach bug.

Apr 20, 2021
Theres ... limited sick leave? Is Germany not normal in that regard? Or do you mean sick leave without going to the doc?
I remember when I joined four years ago I had 10 days of sick leave: basically once you use them you will have to use your normal leave allowance or get the sabbatical leave. but now it is unlimited (but I am pretty sure the HR will start asking question once you use 10+ per year) I think I use 1 per year.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
so what's the difference between this and just calling in sick? Does someone have to identify the reason why they are sick to their employee or something?

(living in Germany, so the idea of telling an employee about private health matters is foreign to me)
I was wondering the same. I assume it's just PR, I don't think there's an EU country where if you have stomach or back ache such that you can't really work, it's unjustified to call in sick. Unless it's just general 5 days a month off, but I kind of doubt that. Could also be PR aimed at their own employees, like know that you can just call in sick if you're not feeling well. Maybe CD Projekt Red has offices outside of the EU though?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This was recently approved in Spain too.

To those asking what's the difference with a usual sick leave, this is a specific period leave of 3 days extensible to 5 and not subject to subjective doctor's opinion. I guess before you would just go to the doctor and they would decide the reason and how many days. Now it's easier as it's an specific thing.

It's been made like this to avoid the "what should I tell the doctor I have because I'm sure they won't believe me" or "I am ashamed to ask". It happens.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering the same. I assume it's just PR, I don't think there's an EU country where if you have stomach or back ache such that you can't really work, it's unjustified to call in sick. Unless it's just general 5 days a month off, but I kind of doubt that. Could also be PR aimed at their own employees, like know that you can just call in sick if you're not feeling well. Maybe CD Projekt Red has offices outside of the EU though?
If you read the thread you'd see it's an actual thing and that some countries even shot it down or are only implementing it just now. it's not PR.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This legitimizes menstrual pain as a valid reason to take sick days. This removes potential lenience afforded to companies/doctors in not giving that sick leave in case of menstrual pains.

Quick reminder that women's health issues are always a vector for insidious sexist behaviors, this legitimization of menstrual pains is fundamentally an effort to quell attitudes like someone in a company saying "you had sick leave last time you had your period, you're not gonna have it this month" or "menstrual pains aren't that strong i don't believe you" etc etc. This law (and similar laws) aren't for best case scenarios where companies are already progressive and would provide the sick days regardless, it's for everyone in every kind of work.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. Even if a PR move, at the very least it normalizes women taking care of themselves, and if they get extra time for it, then all the better.

Lmao, that's so fucking stupid. God forbid conservatives have any kind of awareness outside of things that don't affect them personally though.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
If you read the thread you'd see it's an actual thing and that some countries even shot it down or are only implementing it just now. it's not PR.
This legitimizes menstrual pain as a valid reason to take sick days. This removes potential lenience afforded to companies/doctors in not giving that sick leave in case of menstrual pains.

Quick reminder that women's health issues are always a vector for insidious sexist behaviors, this legitimization of menstrual pains is fundamentally an effort to quell attitudes like someone in a company saying "you had sick leave last time you had your period, you're not gonna have it this month" or "menstrual pains aren't that strong i don't believe you" etc etc. This law (and similar laws) aren't for best case scenarios where companies are already progressive and would provide the sick days regardless, it's for everyone in every kind of work.
Fair enough! I'm a civil servant so the idea that sick leave is not honored is alien to me, but I can see smaller companies trying to manipulate women into showing up regardless, so it's good that this is codified and openly communicated.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough! I'm a civil servant so the idea that sick leave is not honored is alien to me, but I can see smaller companies trying to manipulate women into showing up regardless, so it's good that this is codified and openly communicated.
It's not something sick leave was given out by even doctors for normally, that is the main issue, now they have to.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK, and it's always Byzantine to me, in places like the United States, sick leave days are treated like a perk and their annual number is part of your employment contract. Which inevitably leads to them being treated as vacation days you should spend.

It's kind of alien when you're used to sick leave generally being prescribed by a doctor, with no limit, and funded by a social security.