Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It was really hard to find the right words for the headline. It sounds harsh, but hear me out.

Things for Capcom went downhill the time when they thought they can land the same impact with Resident Evil like Activision does with Call of Duty. Delivering a few shitty AAA over a few years which ended in a fiasco when Street Fighter V launched a little over three years ago. Besides that, there was the weird communication between Japan and the West. Locking out IP's like Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney. End of the story: Nintendo published Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney made a successful yet digitaly only comeback.

When it comes to their AAA-Division, they made a huge step forward and they are delivering quality games for three years straight now. Starting with Resident Evil VII in 2017 (a little empty when it comes to content but otherwise a pretty good game), Monster Hunter World in 2018 and finally the Resident Evil 2 Remake and Devil May Cry V in 2019. Also brining back a lot of solid remasters of their older games including introducing Onimusha to a new generation of gamer.

All in all, we can't complain, right? I always read comments like that they are the comeback story of videogaming. I can't agreee and I can't fully disagree. They made a comeback, they createtd quality games, but they still are a strange and kind of an unlikeable company.

Starting with their release policy in Europe and how they handle the Switch besides telling Nintendo that, if they include more power, they can release newer games for the system. Truth is, they are successful on other platforms, it's hard to blame they are giving a shit about the Switch. But what about the Switch-Tax? Releasing old ass ports for 30 bucks each (10 bucks more compared to any other platform and yet all these games are digital at least in Europe), releasing half-retail releases with one part of each of their collections only included a download code.

Or let me take this Twitter conversation as an example. Found it here in ResetERA but I'm unable to give the OP of this credit because I don't know who he or she is. So I will not link the Tweet but just the conversation between the user and the Capcom rep:

User: Why does Europe keep getting fucked over when it comes to these things? [e.g retail copies]

Capcom rep. Kat: Europe and US operate differently, and have differing manufacturing requirements and productions costs, so as a result product availability sometimes differs. :)

Example, for RE2 EU had a slightly different collector's edition!

Gosh, I really need this special Jim Sterling voice here when he is reading statements of company reps.

I'm in a dilemma. In this day and age it's almost a miracle that Capcom isn't going the same way like Konami and delivering finished products at launch. But there really is something bothering me when it comes to Capcom as a company. The Tweet of this Capcom rep sums it up pretty well. It don't really like this company. Their current lineup of games is great enough to support them without hesitation, but on the other hand I do this with grinding teeth.

Anyone else feel the same? Guess, most likely only Switch user and folks from Europe will be with me here if any.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I dont care about physical copies and i live in Europe. I already pre-orderd both RE4 and REmake for the switch.

The switch support can be better but as a multiplatform owner i can play everything from Capcom

Last edited:

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
I've always liked capcom.
My only gripe was when inafune tried to westernize capcom and made it seem like japan had no more choice change their identity.

For the future,
I do want capcom to come up with original titles for the switch.

Zack and wiki type projects I guess.

Edit. Aren't some other companies leaving out physical games for Europe.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Capcom is a great company as long as you aren't an AA fan in the west.

They're pretty much the only one doing demos, they've remastered a ton of their titles and made them available at a great price, they support their legacy IPs... I wouldn't call them jerks by any means.

Sure, the physical copies thing sucks but I couldn't care less tbh.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I have the impression that Japanese companies overall are hard to communicate with even to this day. I don't like to work with them to be honest even though I prefer their games overall.

I wonder if they just want Nintendo to distribute their games in Europe for them.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wut. All those chats about they are jerk just because they release higher priced games on the Switch? Maybe they have their valid reason to act like this and it's a Nintendo fault too behind this attitude? I wouldn't accuse a company to be a jerk without know the full story behind.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
So...the ops problems are Capcoms way of releasing Switch games, some pricing and a template PR response?.

There are far worse companies than this but...Ok.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Nicalis doesn't seem to have an EU branch for physicals (do they at least get them digital in EU?) If anything, besides those two, ArcSys and Bamco are doing the opposite: physical for EU, digital for NA. So yeah, still not quite there on equality...

Phoenix Wright stinks for both sides, tho :/

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see any problem whatsoever with the replies from Capcom references in the OP and I really don't think issues with retail availability in certain regions comes anywhere close to making them "a jerk."

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Every company is going to have its pros and cons, i think Square Enix is an even more extreme example. For example, They release a great game in KH3, a refreshing AAA video game with no MTX and it will be getting free updates/DLC. Then in February they put out a game that they're so unconfident about that they're blocking people from streaming it. We went from clapping to face palming with a month.

I'm super hyped for Capcom right now, if the worst thing they're going to do is charge a premium price for ports/remasters that's far from the worst thing that could happen. I think EA/Activision would have much worse monetization for MHW, and i don't think EA would even greenlight DMC5, RE7, or RE2.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I head "jerk as a company", I was expecting a lot worse. We just had a gaming publisher literally joke around with pedophile nazis, and a bit before that another fired 800 employees.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I fail to see any problem whatsoever with the replies from Capcom references in the OP and I really don't think issues with retail availability in certain regions comes anywhere close to making them "a jerk."
yeah, i was gonna say

seems like a normal business response

nded

Nov 14, 2017
They're just sort of thoughtless and PR-inept more than actively malicious.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't count scandalous companies like EA or THQ Nordic in here. This goes far beyond videogaming. Saying that, the problem with Capcom really is videogame related. That's, at least, is the refreshing aspect of this topic^^

Yes, there are a few companies but the most stuff really is only related to indie stuff. Like when "VA-11 HALL-A" was released months after the NA launch, Monster Boy unfortunately and the developer already clarified that there are no plans for a EU retail release, a few mobile games and so on.

But Capcom is a really big publisher, even in Europe. Even Atlus is managing it to bring their smaller titles to the stores. There are not many excuses for Capcom to ignore the EU-Market when it comes to their AA-Titles.

Capcom is a great company as long as you aren't an AA fan in the west.

That's true. Their prices for their retail collections of the remastered they delivered were quite fair, even on Switch. I would like to know the reason why they are going crazy like shit with their upcoming Resident Evil Remasters. I actually thought they would charge us for 30 Bucks for REmake and 0. But they are charging us with 30 Bucks each, that's nuts.

A little bias here to be fair by the way. Since I'm a big fan of the Switch. But with the exception of Mega Man 11 and their remasters, Switch support is as underwhelming as it can get. Square Enix managed it to bringt Octopath Traveler to the Switch and delivering an ultimate edition for Dragon Quest XI. Capcom was bitching for more power, yet they don't care for the system at all. But again, they are highly successful on other platforms so there simply isn't any need to produce something relevant for the Switch.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wonky PR and lackluster Switch support does not make Capcom a "jerk" of a company. You're looking for something with nothing.

rokninja

Oct 27, 2017
Tempe, AZ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I head "jerk as a company", I was expecting a lot worse. We just had a gaming publisher literally joke around with pedophile nazis, and a bit before that another fired 800 employees.

Yeah same, I was expecting some malicious story I hadn't read yet.

Their fighting game launches have been bad forever and their FG division needs to greatly improve communication, but overall they're in a better spot than I expected, and hardly worthy of being called jerks.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy for me, I stopped caring about this company since they continually are f*cking up their Switch release in Europe, when things improve, I'll buy their games again.
Otherwise I'm still waiting for Mega Man Legends 3 before declaring "Capcom is back!"

Vaibhav

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
You want to like a company?

The only company you like is one that has paid for pr. Whats the point?

If a company is able to do what I want (like making a decent final fantasy) thats enough. You expect too much.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
they lowest point was when they were trying to outsource everything to the west and we got horseshit as a result. let me say that i completely lost interest in AceA when they went digital only for no reason. bunch of cowards. for SFV i was totally fine with their gameplan until this season. they killed fight money and turned mute.

high points were DDogma and MHWorld and some others. much better now overall ofc.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Youre trying way too hard to make them out to be worse than they actually are.

Also, Jim Stering AAA voice is reserved for really shitty and scummy company responses and comms. That tweet was just offensively generic.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The OP is a lot more tame than I thought it was going to be lol

Thought this was about something serious

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I thought you were going to talk about the times Capcom people were framing every Wii game as a test and blaming fans for Megaman Legends 3 getting canceled.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
Starting with their release policy in Europe and how they handle the Switch besides telling Nintendo that, if they include more power, they can release newer games for the system. Truth is, they are successful on other platforms, it's hard to blame they are giving a shit about the Switch. But what about the Switch-Tax? Releasing old ass ports for 30 bucks each (10 bucks more compared to any other platform and yet all these games are digital at least in Europe), releasing half-retail releases with one part of each of their collections only included a download code.
What exactly about their release policy in Europe?
No disc versions for old ass games is a bummer, but that's about it.

The Switch tax isn't a Capcom thing. Just take a look at Final Fantasy XII, it costs 47€ over here, while you can get the PS4 version for 15€ or even cheaper.
It's a damn PS2 title and even things like the Bioshock trilogy were cheaper at launch.

Or let me take this Twitter conversation as an example. Found it here in ResetERA but I'm unable to give the OP of this credit because I don't know who he or she is. So I will not link the Tweet but just the conversation between the user and the Capcom rep:
Different collectors editions aren't really a Capcom exclusive thing either. Happens to quite a few games. Sucks for those that really want the US/JP version, but hardly gonna bother the majority.

Anyone else feel the same? Guess, most likely only Switch user and folks from Europe will be with me here if any.
No. Not even close.
Everything you've counted up isn't exclusive to Capcom.

Their communication could be better overall.
Also compared to other companies their starting price isn't at 69,99€ for games, they start at 59,99€ for their latest games. So it's a pretty decent move compared to alot of other companies.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Jerk" is pretty much the perfect word to use for Capcom. Their actions aren't severe enough to call them "assholes" but they are just annoying enough that "meanies" doesn't quite cut it.

They're just that, jerks.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
And play all your games on Switch..
I mean that's an issue any time you are talking about more demanding titles, no? At the end Switch is a decent amount less powerful than OG Xbox One which is barely able to run a lot of newer games with decent FPS/Resolution/Image Quality.

That said, Capcom's Switch pricing policies and bullshit like not including both game sof the collection on a single cart is quite annoying.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's really weird how much stock you are putting into a customer service rep response.

Retail releases are obviously a topic that requires certain logistics and business realities that I don't really fault companies for it. "Jerk" is a bit over the top just because they aren't specifically fitting the exact requirements of your shelf plastic requirements.

The Switch tax is the only issue I really see with them recently. And I guess Monster Hunter World's bizaare PC delay, particularly for Iceborne.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
But Capcom is a really big publisher, even in Europe. Even Atlus is managing it to bring their smaller titles to the stores. There are not many excuses for Capcom to ignore the EU-Market when it comes to their AA-Titles.
Funny you bring that up seeing as the only reason Europe gets retail versions of Sega/Atlus games is because THQ Nordic (via Deep Silver) distributes them... Sega Europe only handles digital releases in Europe these days.

You're massively over reacting over something that really isn't a big deal. If you don't like the pricing, wait for a sale. Capcom are great.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But since the Switch isn't getting games made for it specifically (at the moment) it obviously doesn't matter right?

/s

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the biggest reason they're jerks is that they make it a bit hard for you to give them money because of their release strategies then they're doing pretty well.

I'm not even that annoyed by their Switch tax. They're just following Nintendo's lead on that one.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Nintendo themselves are following the switch tax with DKCTF, therefore they are a jerk company too, right?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
While I understand a lot of people are still passionate about physical copies it always comes across as such a crybaby issue to me. Is it really worth demonizing a company because they make you download their games on a harddrive instead of giving you a retail copy?

Come on.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
This thread just reminded me how awesome Capcom is as a company. Hope they have finally found their identity as a company and game developer.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It really sucks to be a fan of Ace Attorney that doesn't speak Japanese, because Capcom doesn't care about them.

I just wanna legally play AAI2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 and 2.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand a lot of people are still passionate about physical copies it always comes across as such a crybaby issue to me. Is it really worth demonizing a company because they make you download their games on a harddrive instead of giving you a retail copy?

Come on.
Depends on the type of game tbh.
Can understand when they're more cautious with smaller titles and older titles. Or those that haven't set the world on fire in the West.

Couldn't understand why they haven't released a physical copy in the EU for Onimusha for example, but it's still possible to get the US copy kinda easy.
Can understand them avoiding a physical release for Ace Attorney.
Different for each title, but in general I just like to have the option for a physical release.