• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 13506

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The user was warned for this post. Don't derail threads with complaints about moderation. If you have issues or doubts, send them directly to a staff representative.

Last edited:

darkvir

Oct 26, 2017
My iPhone X LTE speeds are blazing on Koodo compared to Fido. I'm getting 150MBs compared to my average 31MBs I got on Fido.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
That freedom mobile plan is ridiculous if your area is a has good coverage.

I almost bit. Looks like they're out of the 8, so that saves me $600+tax I didn't need to spend in the first place!

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks guys. I was able to get Bell to match the other plans. They combined it with what I had before so now I have 14GB for $60 lol. I saved like $40 and got 10 extra GB.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love this story about grocery stores profiting off penny rounding. I'm not convinced if it's accurate, but the fact that an undergrad's "for fun" research project can get this much traction on national news is a pretty remarkable achievement
Maybe people need to move into the present and stop paying with cash like the rest of us? Nah.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Walmart Boxing Week Prices

Comb18122017124416.jpg

You get a $30 giftcard with Switch purchase.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
woah an actual Switch hardware "deal"?

didn't expect that. maybe it's not selling so hot anymore :P

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe people need to move into the present and stop paying with cash like the rest of us? Nah.
No kidding, I can't remember the last time I paid cash for anything at the grocery store (or 99% of stores for that matter). Considering I get 4% cash back at the grocery as well, it would be foolish to use cash.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
no joke, I only use cash if I have some change on me and the total is .x6 or .x7 lol

no i'm not an insane penny pincher, i don't do this often :P

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would, but it's still $320. :(

Looking at the money I'd save, it would more-or-less break even with what I'm currently paying + what I've be saving if I purchased the contract out, but then then I'd probably need one of those "premium" plans anyway for my next iPhone, so I doubt I'd be able to keep the $60 one if I didn't want to spend a massive amount of money to buy a new phone outright.

Why are these phones so damn expensive!? It's times like these I kind of regret being in the Apple camp, things seem so much easier if I were to go with Android (more competition, lower prices).
You would not be able to keep it because these are bring your own phone plans. But if you use this plan to the fullest then it's better to pay off your phones and just buy them outright in the future. You're not forced into anything, it's just what you're willing to pay but if you must have an iPhone and not willing to pay what they cost than the only one forcing you into a contract is yourself.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think we'll get deals on Evil Within 2 and Okami HD?

Evil Within 2 was 39.99 during black friday, I hope to see the same deal again...

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Isn't that illegal...? It's supposed to be rounded down lol.
Where? Legally they have to round down if rounding down is nearer iirc.
I can't recall all of them, but it has always been at places that are "cash only", like small corner stores. Is it actually illegal? What can you do about it? These places probably do it because they know people will feel like they're wasting time disputing over four cents.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My girlfriend is saying her friend was able to get this as part of a share plan with Bell. I am not even sure how that would work.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
The hype for the 10GB plans is real. There's long lineups for all carriers here (at least at Scarborough Town Center)

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
This is the problem I'm having with these deals. My current plan is $50/month and includes 4GB. I haven't used more than 3GB in a month since I got it.

I guess with a 10GB plan, I might use my phone differently (watching more videos on the go, etc.), but what's worth more, that extra data or the $10 in my pocket?

Think I am going to stick with my $40 4gb plan from Public Mobile. I have been mulling it over and I just don't think I need the extra data. I hate the though of missing this deal but it's $20 saved. Hopefully I don't regret it.

Team 4GB here too. The "fear of missing out" is real. These forums can make you feel that way. If you're happy with your plan and cost, and don't get overages, you're already winning.

I have a ton of friends who stream music all day and pay $85 for 3-5GB so this is perfect for them. And one who consumes netflix and youtube while travelling and pays like $120 for 12GB. Another who works IT at home but would love to use her phone hotspot with her laptop to work at a cafe an hour a day, and currently just pays overages above the $75 5GB plan. This $60 plan is great for lots of scenarios.

It's whatever works for you. It's a no brainer if you have monthly overages.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If you only use 4gb and can get the 4 for 40, then that's a pretty good deal.

For me I was paying 75 for 6, which was already "good" by the old standards, so this is an amazing deal.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experiences with LG mobile warranty support?

My LG v20's warranty is up in a week. Need to send it in for a myriad of issues. If I give it to Freedom, they'll take 2-3 weeks, but will give me a decentish phone that can access the LTE network while they have it.

On the other hand, sending it in to LG would take 7-10 days, but I have to package everything myself, and would need to procure another phone to use in the mean time (likely without LTE). Also, I doubt it will be fixed with just one repair, so a second time sending it in for repair would mean 6 weeks with freedom, 20 days with LG. And neither are telling me how many times they'll have to replace it in order for me to just get a replacement phone, though it's likely after the second repair (based on freedom's handling of my previous phone)

Also both offer 90 days of extended warranty after getting it back from them. Should I do LG or freedom?

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does anyone know if SportChek is having a pre-boxing day boxing day sale?

The zipper on my winter jacket is broken :(

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Did anyone have any luck with Bell with an existing contract moving towards the 50Gb for $60? They only offered me the plan for $85...

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experiences with LG mobile warranty support?

My LG v20's warranty is up in a week. Need to send it in for a myriad of issues. If I give it to Freedom, they'll take 2-3 weeks, but will give me a decentish phone that can access the LTE network while they have it.

On the other hand, sending it in to LG would take 7-10 days, but I have to package everything myself, and would need to procure another phone to use in the mean time (likely without LTE). Also, I doubt it will be fixed with just one repair, so a second time sending it in for repair would mean 6 weeks with freedom, 20 days with LG. And neither are telling me how many times they'll have to replace it in order for me to just get a replacement phone, though it's likely after the second repair (based on freedom's handling of my previous phone)

Also both offer 90 days of extended warranty after getting it back from them. Should I do LG or freedom?

I feel like if Freedom messes up, as a last resort you can call up LG since they're the manufacturer.

If LG messes up though, Freedom won't do anything to help.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Isn't that illegal...? It's supposed to be rounded down lol.
There are no laws governing penny rounding. Retailers can do whatever they like, until there's a public outcry and stores get boycotted.

I have never seen it rounded down. If an item comes up to 0.96 cents, it has 100% of the time been rounded up to $1.00, which is yet another personal reason to not use cash.
Have you been paying attention to the till and the price they ask for? I've had fast food places round me up on credit card transactions...

Team 4GB here too. The "fear of missing out" is real. These forums can make you feel that way. If you're happy with your plan and cost, and don't get overages, you're already winning.
I'm $20 a month. Getting more than 100MB of data would be nice, but I honestly don't care.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's not possible for existing contracts to be altered to this deal I assume? I only have 1gb of data and sometimes it goes fast.

Does anyone know if SportChek is having a pre-boxing day boxing day sale?

The zipper on my winter jacket is broken :(

If you do buy from Sportchek make sure to sign up for their mailing list, as you'll get a ten percent off coupon.

Last edited:

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any luck finding the SNES Classic? I got one on launch and my nephew fell in love with it. Would love to gift him a new one, otherwise I'll just let him borrow mine for as long as he likes.

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC

I have a ton of friends who stream music all day and pay $85 for 3-5GB so this is perfect for them. And one who consumes netflix and youtube while travelling and pays like $120 for 12GB. Another who works IT at home but would love to use her phone hotspot with her laptop to work at a cafe an hour a day, and currently just pays overages above the $75 5GB plan. This $60 plan is great for lots of scenarios.

It's whatever works for you. It's a no brainer if you have monthly overages.
Agree. I'm on the Public Mobile plan from last holiday. A ton of my friends are too. I don't go near above 4GB even with Spotify Daily Mix. I have my songs in my library downloaded with Spotify Family Plan which helps. Though what I found really helped was turning off Autoplay on videos for Facebook and Twitter. Basically removed 33% of my data usage -_- What bullshit defaults.

The $60 deal right now is awesome for those who didn't get in on the $40 stuff last year or use a lot of data. I see no reason to pay 50% more for what I don't need.

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
There are no laws governing penny rounding. Retailers can do whatever they like, until there's a public outcry and stores get boycotted.

Have you been paying attention to the till and the price they ask for? I've had fast food places round me up on credit card transactions...

Yep. I track all my receipts, but I've never seen that happen on card before! What fast food joints do that? There's no reason to do that whatsoever!

NiSEi

User requested self-ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree. I'm on the Public Mobile plan from last holiday.

The $60 deal right now is awesome for those who didn't get in on the $40 stuff last year or use a lot of data. I see no reason to pay 50% more for what I don't need.

Same here. It's tempting cause it's only $20 but I checked my usage and I'm usually around 3GB. That $20 a month adds up to $240 a year.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. It's tempting cause it's only $20 but I checked my usage and I'm usually around 3GB. That $20 a month adds up to $240 a year.

It's kind of ironic that awful data caps and high prices for so many years conditioned us to "ration" data to the point where some see no need for more, and end staying with lower dollar plans.

The best part of the $60 plan is recommending it to friends and family then looking like a hero with all the money you saved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.