ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
DISCLAIMER: I understand that any threads centering around recent Blizzard announcements tend to drum up conversation about the company's controversial designs as of late with regard to their actions toward players who've voiced support of Hong Kong, but in this instance I'd kindly ask that we not derail this particular thread as that has no bearing on this specific piece of art that I'm trying to highlight/praise.

Blizzard has long prided themselves on enlisting some of the most talented CGI artists in the industry to craft their class-leading CGI trailers, in-game cutscenes, and animated shorts. When it comes to big-budget pre-rendered CGI video content for games, I think most people would agree that Blizzard has remained at the top of the mountain for decades. That said, I think that they've really ascended to new heights with their Overwatch 2 "Zero Hour" cinematic trailer.

The whole trailer is absolutely joyous to behold, IMO, but it's this particular moment that I'd like us all to discuss:

Genji's arrival alone was probably the coolest thing I've seen all year.

Now, listen. I'm a generally hard-to-impress 30-something cynic who finds most bombastic bravura cinema (e.g. the Marvel movies) to be hackneyed and ineffective when utilizing similar tropes in their big climax moments, but I am sincerely gobsmacked by how well-executed this scene is. I understand that to some people the hopeful, Pixar-influenced style of Overwatch's many animated shorts/trailers comes off as cheesy or predictable. I can see how that would be someone's perspective. But I think it's just how well the animation/sound teams come together to absolutely nail this heroic, positive vibe in their various animated works that makes these appeal to me where similar pieces of recent cinema do not.

It helps that I personally love the large majority of the hero designs in OW and their surrounding world/lore, and while the conveyance of this sprawling universe might feel minimal in-game it really comes to life in these trailers and animated shorts.

Everything about this scene is near-perfect in my eyes. Genji's last-second arrival (looking the coolest he's ever looked in that hoodie) followed by the arrival of the other heroes set to pitch-perfect music elevates this to something altogether inspiring and goosebump-inducing for me.

I could go on and on for days about the sound design/mixing in all of these OW trailers/videos, but maybe I'll save that for another post later in the thread. I do want to highlight one little detail that I thought was worth commendation, however.

Look at the palpable, believable sense of relief and surprise in Winston's eyes here as he sees his old friends arrive in the nick of time:

SvHCROU.png

That is perfection. It's the little details like this that put these OW trailers above even the other impressively animated Blizzard CGI productions for me. There's real emotion being effectively communicated here to where the viewer can feel it. They can believe that these heroes possess real emotions and motivations because they are so convincingly rendered, animated, and voiced in these videos.

Here's the full trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty good cinematic overall.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love it, I've waited five years to see all these characters finally interact and get some juicy story shit out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
So is this a prequel?
How is it that France isn't aware of Overwatch and W is it that they don't all know each other? I thought they were all friends?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Posting my views on Blizzard have been specifically called out as not shitposting thank you very much.
And I will continue to say 'fuck Blizzard'.

Mar 29, 2018
"who finds most bombastic bravura cinema (e.g. the Marvel movies) to be hackneyed and ineffective when utilizing similar tropes in their big climax moments"

unfortunately pretty much exactly like how I feel about the posted scene

and I like those movies

glad people like this though

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Although as you say I have my issues with Blizzard because of what happened, the cinematic trailers they showed in Blizzcon were a work of art. Very well-paced, great illumination and texturing, great animation... the only place I have my doubts about is the use of battle lines in the OW2 trailer.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So is this a prequel?
How is it that France isn't aware of Overwatch and W is it that they don't all know each other? I thought they were all friends?
It's not a prequel. The events of the first game took place after Overwatch had been disbanded/outlawed years prior with Winston sending out the "Recall" message (illegally) to try and rally the Overwatch team back together to fight the increasing threats of Talon and the Null Sector throughout the world.

This trailer takes place a little while after that call went out, with these heroes finally reuniting after having been disbanded and separated long ago.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Blizzard. Free Hong Kong. Chinese apologist, capitalist leeches.

All that side, it was a very good reveal trailer. I can have a cold heart, but for some reason I could feel tears welling in my eyes at that moment. Wtf? Like, OW's "story" is straight nonsense. The lore makes no sense. And its yet to actually matter in terms of the actual game. But in this moment, the promise was finally fulfilled, Overwatch reformed. Witnessing Genji, Tracer, and Mercy rush in to save their former teammate was just beautiful. They finally answered the call. And, I suspect that is why it got me.

I need healing.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Honestly, I found it corny. All of the Overwatch cinematics are entertaining to watch but none of them get me on the edge of my seat. A hero will never be killed so I always know something will happen last minute to save them. I knew a hero was going to save the day at the last second the moment Winston mentioned "If you're going to show...now would be a good time" in the beginning. I was just waiting for it to happen.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
So is this a prequel?
OW was disbanded before OW1. The cinematic from the first one show them coming together again. This cinematic is the first we have seen them as an actual team in the present. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.
Also some of them are new to the team and were not a part of the old one.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Honestly, it feels like too little, too late. I cared about these characters when OW released. I thought the lore was cool. I cannot be expected to get onboard with then finally doing a narrative at least four years after the fact.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
The scene is so cliche that it's hard to not suspect you of doing exactly what you claim to be not doing in the disclaimer.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Although as you say I have my issues with Blizzard because of what happened, the cinematic trailers they showed in Blizzcon were a work of art. Very well-paced, great illumination and texturing, great animation... the only place I have my doubts about is the use of battle lines in the OW2 trailer.
The diablo 4 trailer gave me chills.

data

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda cliche, the trailer. It's not like they were going to kill off Winston, Mei and tracer. It was way too obvious that they were going to be reached.

Also I stand by my right to be able to say Fuck blizzard while also keeping to the discussion after that empty apology and hoping these trailers will make us forgive them.

Dreyarn

Oct 28, 2017
I was never really invested in OW's lore, so I think that's why I am not burnt out with how little they were putting out. And I loved this moment when watching it.
The music, the last-minute save... sure, it's cliche, but hey, I still think it was executed really well. Also funny how cool Genji can be when he's not needing healing constantly.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Seems super generic. I'm not an OW fan, so there's no emotional attachment for me to begin with.

Also:

Square Enix CG > Fuck Blizzard CG

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm sorry but fuck Blizzard and everything they stand for.
I wish mods would start banning these posts already. Unless it's now okay to derail every single thread with whatever you feel like.

I agree OP. That moment especially made me want a movie more than anything.

Edit: What I didn't understand is Tracer introducing Mei. I thought they already knew her? I remember a conversation between Mei and Mercy in OW1 about how neither of them have aged since they last saw each other.

Last edited:

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I think it was very well done but to be honest waiting for like 3 years for the story to advance weared me off on any kind of excitement lol.

Posting my views on Blizzard have been specifically called out as not shitposting thank you very much.
And I will continue to say 'fuck Blizzard'.
It is shitposting tho.

Do you know that you can engage in OP premise and also condemn Blizzard right?

Or doing two things seems too hard?

Also try to quote next time so I know when to engage with you.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Eh, it's well animated and the music is nice. But I never gave a single shit about the Overwatch cast due to Blizzard's laughable writing and lore. Honestly, their excellent voice actors and fantastic designs carry them for me. (And of course the tight gameplay)

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The "big deal' is that Overwatch is finally back. With regards to the lore, that's a "big" moment.
Ah, I don't get it then. To me it looks like a pretty generic trailer, including the save moment pointed out by OP. But if people who are invested in it like it then that's good.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I don't get it then. To me it looks like a pretty generic trailer, including the save moment pointed out by OP. But if people who are invested in it like it then that's good.

It's an "Avengers... ASSEMBLE!" moment, as long as you ignore the fact they've spent the last 3 and a half years murdering each other lmao.

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Eh. From my point of view (never played Overwatch) it just looks like it's trying to imitate the MCU. There is nothing wrong with that scene, it's just completely forgettable.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
DISCLAIMER: I understand that any threads centering around recent Blizzard announcements tend to drum up conversation about the company's controversial designs as of late with regard to their actions toward players who've voiced support of Hong Kong, but in this instance I'd kindly ask that we not derail this particular thread as that has no bearing on this specific piece of art that I'm trying to highlight/praise.

Blizzard has long prided themselves on enlisting some of the most talented CGI artists in the industry to craft their class-leading CGI trailers, in-game cutscenes, and animated shorts. When it comes to big-budget pre-rendered CGI video content for games, I think most people would agree that Blizzard has remained at the top of the mountain for decades. That said, I think that they've really ascended to new heights with their Overwatch 2 "Zero Hour" cinematic trailer.

The whole trailer is absolutely joy to behold, IMO, but it's this particular moment that I'd like us all to discuss:

Genji's arrival alone was probably the coolest thing I've seen all year.

Now, listen. I'm a generally hard-to-impress 30-something cynic who finds most bombastic bravura cinema (e.g. the Marvel movies) to be hackneyed and ineffective when utilizing similar tropes in their big climax moments, but I am sincerely gobsmacked by how well-executed this scene is. I understand that to some people the hopeful, Pixar-influenced style of Overwatch's many animated shorts/trailers comes off as cheesy or predictable. I can see how that would be someone's perspective. But I think it's just how well the animation/sound teams come together to absolutely nail this heroic, positive vibe in their various animated works that makes these appeal to me where similar pieces of recent cinema do not.

It helps that I personally love the large majority of the hero designs in OW and their surrounding world/lore, and while the conveyance of this sprawling universe might feel minimal in-game it really comes to life in these trailers and animated shorts.

Everything about this scene is near-perfect in my eyes. Genji's last-second arrival (looking the coolest he's ever looked in that hoodie) followed by the arrival of the other heroes set to pitch-perfect music elevates this to something altogether inspiring and goosebump-inducing for me.

I could go on and on for days about the sound design/mixing in all of these OW trailers/videos, but maybe I'll save that for another post later in the thread. I do want to highlight one little detail that I thought was worth commendation, however.

Look at the palpable, believable sense of relief and surprise in Winston's eyes here as he sees his old friends arrive in the nick of time:

SvHCROU.png

That is perfection. It's the little details like this that put these OW trailers above even the other impressively animated Blizzard CGI productions for me. There's real emotion being effectively communicated here to where the viewer can feel it. They can believe that these heroes possess real emotions and motivations because they are so convincingly rendered, animated, and voiced in these videos.

Here's the full trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

And yet none of that matters cause the first game takes place in a PVP virtual simulator. The second one looks like a lazy tacked on rehash of Destiny strikes but with even more horde mode. Sure the cgi is nice but the game IP itself is so underutilized . That Titan mmo sounded amazing

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't have any attachment to OW, it was a nice moment but still kinda cliched for me. The music definitely helps create this booming and swelling sense of awe.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. From my point of view (never played Overwatch) it just looks like it's trying to imitate the MCU. There is nothing wrong with that scene, it's just completely forgettable.
It's funny how perspectives can differ with stuff like this. For me, the MCU movies fall completely flat in moments like these and hold no emotional pull whatsoever for me. But this trailer had several goosebump-inducing moments of resonance for me. Like, both examples rely on somewhat predictable tropes and a childlike sense of good vs evil, but I just feel that these OW trailers/shorts do a better job than the MCU in pulling me in with their incredibly cohesive and technically impressive aesthetics and execution.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how perspectives can differ with stuff like this. For me, the MCU movies fall completely flat in moments like these and hold no emotion pull whatsoever for me. But this trailer had several goosebump-inducing moments of resonance for me. Like, both examples rely on somewhat predictable tropes and a childlike sense of good vs evil, but I just feel that these OW trailers/shorts do a better job than the MCU in pulling me in with their incredibly cohesive and technically impressive aesthetics and execution.

I think you actually need the emotional attachment to "get it". It's amazing to me and had a lot of goosebumps moments too while watching it.

And I hate the MCU movies lol

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That moment is a pretty standard "friend of hero saves the day at the last minute" moment from action movies.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
It's well made but I'm honestly surprised that it makes anyone feel much of anything. Most of Blizzard's writing on Overwatch really does nothing for me.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
"who finds most bombastic bravura cinema (e.g. the Marvel movies) to be hackneyed and ineffective when utilizing similar tropes in their big climax moments"

unfortunately pretty much exactly like how I feel about the posted scene

and I like those movies

glad people like this though
This. You can even replace the music with MCU music and no one would be able to tell the difference. All comes off as very generic and clearly tailored for a younger audience. Never knew or cared for the lore/story since none of that is actually in the game.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I don't have any attachment to Overwatch but it was a well made trailer. Props to the artists who worked on it.

Fuck Blizzard and China though.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The Overwatch cinematics in general have been absolutely incredible imo. They added a ton to the popularity of the characters.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
That moment is a pretty standard "friend of hero saves the day at the last minute" moment from action movies.
Sure, of course. It's not that the scene is particularly surprising or novel in concept, but its execution is something special IMO. As somewhat of an animation enthusiast, I can't help but praise the work that was done here. There are lots of subtly impressive things being done throughout the entire trailer that put every other CGI gaming trailer to shame, IMO.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The hype got me real bad when Genji showed up. And then a second time when he used ryujin no ken wo kurae. The team who does these cinematics really has done an incredible job over the years.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, it's very formulaic, down to the lingering over-the-shoulder look.

Raiden did it better.