Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The last Star Wars sequel left a bad taste in my mouth, and for many of you that bad taste has been there since The Last Jedi. However, it was not that long ago that we felt this way about the Star Wars prequel trilogy, but one major thing redeemed it in fan's eyes: Star Wars the Clone Wars cartoon.

Even right now, the much anticipated Siege of Mandalore is already delivering, and for many of you not in the know it actually takes place minutes before and during Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. The animation is brilliant, the characters are lovable and engaging, and the story is exciting and intriguing. It has brought a fervor back in the Star Wars community in addition to the set up it got from The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order and similar to when it gained good will after it first premiered.

I'm wondering if the same kind of thing can be done with the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. For those not in the know, it actually does have an animated series at the moment called Star Wars Resistance which is...OK. I've only caught a few episodes, but generally I'm not impressed since it's more kid focused.

I'm pitching a new Star Wars animated series whose role is to flesh out the sequel trilogy and ultimately redeem it. What would it look like and when would it take place?

My idea: obviously to have it take place during the gap between Episode 6 and 7. In fact, I wonder if this will be what we'll get in the rumoed Ahsoka and Sabine series. We can see Luke going on adventures and training his young Jedi, we can see the Solo family interacting more (I know this is covered in the novels a bit), we can see a young Ben Solo with hints of his turn to the Dark Side just like Clone Wars. Ultimately however, it has to be unapologetic about the sequel trilogy. The reason the Clone Wars cartoon worked to redeem the prequel trilogy is because Dave Filoni worships George Lucas and loves the prequels, so he unashamedly doubled down on the supposedly bad ideas of the prequels and made them work much better. So here in this series you can have the background set up of Palpatine clones and Snoke for example. It can also build on wherever The Mandlorian ends because it takes place during the same time period. What do you all think?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm probably alone on this but I don't find the adventures of Luke's doomed Jedi Temple to be exciting. Especially with how they screwed up Ben's past in the latest comic series. They had their chance to flesh out the ST with Resistance and chose to do nothing with it.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about the prequels?

But Lucas did manage to flesh out the universe by creating some new dynamics.

The ST just repeated the OT's dynamic.

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between the PT and ST are that the PT had good ideas, badly executed or not given time to be fleshed out. The ST had bad ideas badly executed. No amount of padding or explanation is going to cause the to make sense, because the stuff in TROS especially is fundamentally nonsensical. No amount of fleshing out The Knights of Ren explains why they were never around during crucial moments and jobbed 6v1 to Kylo

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't bother. just move on. just because one thing worked out doesn't mean every failure should do it

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
They don't need to be, they were as badly written yet still just as fun as the vast majority of the franchise.

To me, Star Wars is basically the same as Fast and Furious. Fun movies that I know if I think about the plot too much, probably won't be as fun. Instead, I go to them or put them on to see gorgeous scenery, silly aliens, and neat battles, just like I would go watch a Fast and Furious movie for fun action, silly characters, and neat car chases.

I didn't like the Mandalorian as much as E9, and the episode I enjoyed the most is the one that everyone else apparently didn't like (The Gunslinger), so obviously my opinion on the franchise as a whole is just not what everyone else wants out of it.

Last edited:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you ask me, we need to move away from the OT and focus on a new cast of characters and story that isn't a beat-to-beat repeat of what came beforehand.

It's a big ass galaxy filled with marvel and wonder. Creatures of varying degrees of race, sex, creed, culture, & biology. And yet we're just focused on the humanoid Skywalker family and the Jedi/Sith stuff? You can say a lot of things about The Mandalorian, but I give that series major props to focus on a lone bounty hunter and staying away from repeating anything from the PT or OT (aside from the occasional reference and scarce callback).

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Well Clone Wars let me actually enjoy Anakin despite his god awful movie appearances so it'd at least give me a chance to care about the ST cast maybe.

That being said I wouldn't be that interested, and I'd much prefer something completely detached from it all. And despite my love of PT-era SW media, I still hate the damn movies.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The sequel still doesn't have its own distinct feeling.

The prequel era feels like the golden mythic age of the gods ending in ragnarok leading to the post-apocalyptic rusted up world of the OT where all the magic has disappeared. The sequels kind of just......repeats the prequel-OT transition when the First Order blows everything up after a time of peace in an attempt to make it feel like....generic SW. It should've had the feeling of a world healing from the apocalypse, trying to rebuild into something new and the challenges that come with that.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Well, if the sequel trilogy is anything to go by, they would overstuff it with nostalgia to try to make up for a lackluster story. I'm over nostalgia-driven reboots, I just want media to move forward again.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Clone Wars only really helps RotS. It does absolutely nothing for Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones and RotS still has many problems that the Clone Wars just don't resolve in terms od pacing, acting and logic.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The prequels are and always will be bad. The extended media around them does not change this one bit.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have what's in the sequel trilogy than witches, the nightsisters, and this ridiculous shit:

tumblr_o4kv81gToz1uxb6ajo1_500.gif

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
If you ask me, we need to move away from the OT and focus on a new cast of characters and story that isn't a beat-to-beat repeat of what came beforehand.

It's a big ass galaxy filled with marvel and wonder. Creatures of varying degrees of race, sex, creed, culture, & biology. And yet we're just focused on the humanoid Skywalker family and the Jedi/Sith stuff? You can say a lot of things about The Mandalorian, but I give that series major props to focus on a lone bounty hunter and staying away from repeating anything from the PT or OT (aside from the occasional reference and scarce callback).

Hopefully the high republic does well so it can be expanded into movies and shows.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have what's in the sequel trilogy than witches, the nightsisters, and this ridiculous shit:

tumblr_o4kv81gToz1uxb6ajo1_500.gif

This "ridiculous shit" is a thousand times more fun and creative than anything in the sequel trilogy. The Rise of Skywalker wishes it had something like the helicopter sabers!

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ST would have been so much better if JJ didn't constantly toss out every fun or weird idea George or even he himself had come to with (like the Sledgehammer/Warhammer) in service of maximum OT nostalgia.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
They'd need to retcon the entirety of Rise of Skywalker first. Just pretend it didn't happen. The prequels were rubbish, but at least there was a somewhat coherent story across the films for the cartoons to flesh out and add to (and look brilliant in comparison to as the storytelling in the prequels was so dire). The sequel trilogy doesn't even have that (at least we got TLJ out of it. Best Star War since Empire).

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get how people are just saying Disney should forget it and move on.

They just built a MASSIVE Star Wars section in both US parks which is canonically set during the events of the sequel trilogy. They have merch on top of merch of sequel trilogy charecters. I don't think they're just gonna forget the trilogy and move on.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hopefully. I enjoyed the quality of TFA (despite how rehash-y it was) and the breath of fresh air that was TLJ (on rewatches and despite its flaws), but TRoS is an unsalvageable movie. So you have actually two good movies in the bunch, it's already looking better than the PT and with all the experience they've gained from previous cartoons (I thought CW first two seasons were quite awful until they turned it around), it might be a lesser bumpy road ahead of them.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
People overreact.

They can make great stories in the ST, just cause the movies sucked has no bearing on side content and what they decide to do with their stories. Rise of Skywalker doesn't somehow negate a well written story if they make one.

Rebels did great stuff and really it's only partially tied to the OT plot, it's its own thing and it worked great. The ST can do the exact same thing

a916

Oct 25, 2017
People overreact.

They can make great stories in the ST, just cause the movies sucked has no bearing on side content and what they decide to do with their stories. Rise of Skywalker doesn't somehow negate a well written story if they make one.

Rebels did great stuff and really it's only partially tied to the OT plot, it's its own thing and it worked great. The ST can do the exact same thing

Well said.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the sequel trilogy can be saved by erasing TROS and redoing it completely.

It's the only weak link of that saga.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I'd personally rather just forget the new sequel trilogy ever even happened. It's too fucked for even Filoni to redeem. As far as I'm concerned, whatever goes down in the Mandolorian is as far forward in the Star Wars universe timeline as I want to go from here on out. Sequel trilogy content is radioactive and I want nothing to do with it.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. We've already been seeing great post-Jedi content. No reason that they can't do the same now that they know how the major stuff pans out.

Oct 26, 2017
It would have to take place between TLJ and TROS and really do the characters justice. I think it has potential; TLJ felt like one of those movies that end in a way that's supposed to be picked up by a TV show anyway.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Especially with how they screwed up Ben's past in the latest comic series.

Oh that's your feeling? I think the comics actually shaped a better story and was much more compeling than the movies we got. Like, sure, Ben's past isn't that much exciting, but it kind of redeemed the character imo and made him much more enjoyable than the one we had in the sequel.

The comic series taking place during the sequel actually made for better stories than the sequel, and the interesting lore is even wider, so yeah, I think an animated show like Clone Wars could help the sequel to feel better story wise and help with some plot holes, but it probably wouldn't make the movies more enjoyable to watch.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Oh that's your feeling? I think the comics actually shaped a better story and was much more compeling than the movies we got. Like, sure, Ben's past isn't that much exciting, but it kind of redeemed the character imo and made him much more enjoyable than the one we had in the sequel.

The comic series taking place during the sequel actually made for better stories than the sequel, and the interesting lore is even wider, so yeah, I think an animated show like Clone Wars could help the sequel to feel better story wise and help with some plot holes, but it probably wouldn't make the movies more enjoyable to watch.
the jedi temple
blowing up and killing everyone because lightning
ruined it from the beginning for me sadly.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There is a one year gap between TLJ and TROS that is ripe for storytelling, like Resistance was weak but this scene was great:

and ofc the 30 year gap between the OT and ST. If they can make the CW into the most hype SW content ever considering what they had to work with in the PT, then they can absolutely make good ST content.

the jedi temple
blowing up and killing everyone because lightning
ruined it from the beginning for me sadly.
Originally it seemed like Sidious did it but Kylo is the one who summoned the lightning and killed everyone.

OP
OP
Mariolee

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully. I enjoyed the quality of TFA (despite how rehash-y it was) and the breath of fresh air that was TLJ (on rewatches and despite its flaws), but TRoS is an unsalvageable movie. So you have actually two good movies in the bunch, it's already looking better than the PT and with all the experience they've gained from previous cartoons (I thought CW first two seasons were quite awful until they turned it around), it might be a lesser bumpy road ahead of them.

This is why I think it's more feasible. As someone who loves TFA and TLJ, I think just the trilogy having only one bad movie means it's wholly salvagable.

I think the point someone said earlier about only ROTS benefitting from Clone Wars is fair though.

Oct 27, 2017
They just built a MASSIVE Star Wars section in both US parks which is canonically set during the events of the sequel trilogy. They have merch on top of merch of sequel trilogy charecters. I don't think they're just gonna forget the trilogy and move on.
Wasn't that massively unpopular? It bombed so hard the former President of their parks quit (or was pushed it, who knows)
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Disney Parks Veteran Steps Down Amid Sluggish Star Wars Land Attendance

Catherine Powell, who oversees the U.S. and Paris theme parks for The Walt Disney Company, is leaving the studio, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

There is a one year gap between TLJ and TROS that is ripe for storytelling, like Resistance was weak but this scene was great:
Maybe they can show how Lando was able to convince all those people to help lol

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't that massively unpopular? It bombed so hard the former President of their parks quit (or was pushed it, who knows)
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Disney Parks Veteran Steps Down Amid Sluggish Star Wars Land Attendance

Catherine Powell, who oversees the U.S. and Paris theme parks for The Walt Disney Company, is leaving the studio, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Maybe they can show how Lando was able to convince all those people to help lol
It wasn't unpopular.

They didn't do themselves any favors by not opening at 100% and building 2 of them. Even prior to Rise of the Resistance it was fairly crowded. There was just bad choices leading up to it.

Like, this doesn't look unpopular:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The pre trilogy left on a high though (I consider ROTS the best movie of its trilogy) the same can't be said about the sequel trilogy.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I don't know how I feel about the announcement of the High Republic. At this time, it's a neutral feeling.
They need to go back, and I mean WAY BACK in the timeline. 200 years just isn't enough. I want to see ancient Star Wars society. Make the Old Republic the equivalent of Ancient Rome and have the Sith Empire be the Carthaginians. Thousands of Jedi vs thousands of Sith on massive battlefields without the help of super-weapons or modern tech in general. There's so much they could do with the aesthetic if they went that far back.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Well, the prequel trilogy did set up interesting world building for The Clone Wars to use. The sequel trilogy just doesn't have very interesting world building, so idk if a really good show could be made from it when the foundation is so lacking.