• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I applaud the OP for creating this highly controversial thread. I see this become a 500 pager (is that possible?).

Anyhow, I think when you throw a lot of different cultures and ethnicities into a pot, shit will go down. I'll be tuned into this thread, it's a very interesting talking point.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Let's see

Refugees granted protection in 2017:

Germany 325k
France 40.6k

US around 2k

I'm not sure americans can really dictate who can say what when they themselves do everything in their power to keep brown people (And Latinos) out of their country.

Also i'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is supposed to be other than to shit on each other.

As for representation in the German Legislature, forget about. No idea. You can at least track the number of women in such positions. 230 out of 631 in the current (18th) term are Women. So, yay?

Germany has only one black representative in the Bundestag:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karamba_Diaby

Then only 8% of the politicians have a migrant background. 14 politicians are of Turkish descent.

Source in German: https://editionf.com/Migrationshintergrund-Bundestag-Wahlen-2017

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I feel a lot of the bad race relations in the US boils down to some stupid decision making and lack of courtesy (see the Starbucks commotion).

Eh, it boils down to a country wherr basic civil rights for black people were only achieved like what, 60 years ago? America's race relations go a lot deeper than decision making and lack of courtesy.

There is a real disenfranchisement of minorities there changes how your average person perceives them.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Read up on why Papua New Guinea is considered diverse, for example
Well, they do have more languages than any other country, but it seems most are spoken by fewer than 1K people. I doubt all of these different languages/cultures don't at least to some degree derive from a handful of base languages/cultures. Wikipedia says most New Guinea natives come from two main peoples.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
How are these people from Papupa New Guinea significantly different from one another? I think most Americans would consider them one basic group if they have the same cultural base, I think.

They're genetically, culturally and linguistically different from each other. From outside they may look all the same, but that can be attributed more to our ignorance about Papuans than to Papuans actually being just all the same.

For example Germans, Italians, Irish, French, Polish, British, Spanish people are all considered white- and not just due to skin color. In antiquity, all of their nations were all in contact with one another constantly, and all were heavily influenced by Roman Catholicism.

Also you're not 100% correct with African Americans and West Africans. Alot of habits that African Americans have are derived from West Africa and are recognized as such when one meets the other.

They may all be considered white, that does not mean (not even remotely) that they're all the same or even similar. That may be true in the US where German-Americans, Italian-Americans and the rest have all adopted just a regular maintream "white American" culture, but that certainly does not happen in Europe. Basques are not the same as Andalusians yet they're both Spanish; Cornish people are not the same as the Scottish yet they're both British.

There's more to diversity than your skin colour. You may be of different colour and have the same culture (a white Londoner and a black Londoner) or have the same skin colour and be completely different (any Papuan, southern vs northern Indians, etc.).

Socrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Furthermore the words we use are not always analogous either. For instance in Britain we use the term "Asian" primarily to refer to people from middle eastern nations while America uses the same term to primarily refer to people from the far east.

This is totally untrue and very misleading. We use "Asian" to refer to people from the subcontinent ie Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Nepali.

Middle Eastern, means middle eastern ie Egypt to Iran, including Arabia & turkey.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they do have more languages than any other country, but it seems most are spoken by fewer than 1K people. I doubt all of these different languages/cultures don't at least to some degree derive from a handful of base languages/cultures. Wikipedia says most New Guinea natives come from two main peoples.

But in that case would you consider Pakistan and India one basic group?

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I applaud the OP for creating this highly controversial thread. I see this become a 500 pager (is that possible?).

Anyhow, I think when you throw a lot of different cultures and ethnicities into a pot, shit will go down. I'll be tuned into this thread, it's a very interesting talking point.

Really? I see it dying by page 5 (if it goes that far), but we'll see.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It's rather useless for recording social dynamics. But do whatever you guys want, it worked so well in the past.
No... it's not? What are you talking about? Race is one of the most relevant aspects to social dynamics in the United States.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it worked so well in the past", it reads as though you mean to say that acknowledging racism and collecting data on race is partly responsible for the existence of racism.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The US does like to put people in boxes and make up categories like say "Hispanic"

the term "Hispanic" is one of the most contentious and controversial IMO.

At one glance, it's an overgeneralized ethnic category based on Mother Tongue being Spanish and the other odd category is having roots tracing back the Ancient Rome's province of Hispania ?? Like what?
Ancient Rome's Hispania was not unified, and the Spanish language only came to be after it evolved from Vulgar Latin and it was called Castilian for centuries before the name change,
The other neighboring factions in the Peninsula spoke other languages, like Leonese, Catalan, Basque, Galician/Portuguese, Aragonese, Ect.

The name change from Castillan to Spanish as language was done so after the unification of Castile & Leone with Aragon for the sake of "Unity" although the other minority language speakers didn't agree to that term being used, LOL.

You see, it makes no sense.

Spanish is a language. Countries in the Americas that use Spanish is done so out of colonialism but they are not all the same people.They consist of descendant of many different Native Tribes, European descendants, descendants of Africans slaves, mixes between Whites and Natives, mixes between Blacks and Natives, mixes between Black with White, then there are more recent immigrants to the Americas like Chinese, Japanese, Italians, Germans, Lebanese.

But lol, Americans love to shove all of the above into one big box labeled as "Hispanic" as a racial thing. (which is ludicrous)

Last edited:

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...as I said in the "Canada should be part of the US" thread, you guys had an easier time due to not having land suitable for slavery...

I'm not going to question the other stuff, but this is wrong. Canada in the time before the ARW was called the bread basket of America. It had and has some great agricultural farmland. Prior to the British taking Canada from France around 4% of the total population were slaves. Due to the cost of importing from Africa the slaves were mostly natives. An important event that did make slavery much less pronounced than the US, was the 1796 act to ban the importation of new slaves. This was before the ending of the slave trade and worked to reduce the numbers.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Europeans can be pretty arrogant in their criticisms of the U.S. at times but I don't personally think that should negate their ability to do so. I would just take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How exactly is Canadas land any less (or more) suitable to slavery?

Agriculture is a huge part of Canadian trade, if that is what you're implying.
You couldn't grow cotton in the early 19th century there, mainly. Don't underestimate how important cotton was to the US and world economy at that time. It doesn't matter that there's some ag in Canada (likely being run much less efficient than the US south's due to shorter growing seasons), what matters is whether there was enough money to be made off it to pay for slaves. That's why the North didn't have/need slavery and the south did.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it boils down to a country wherr basic civil rights for black people were only achieved like what, 60 years ago? America's race relations go a lot deeper than decision making and lack of courtesy.

There is a real disenfranchisement of minorities there changes how your average person perceives them.

The UK had the same issues where Irish and blacks were openly discriminated. Landlords could openly advertise "no blacks no Irish" just some 40-50 years ago. Yet the issues seem to run so much deeper. I understand that the US has a long history when it comes to slavery and I'm not expert but I really do feel that some of the decisions come from bad decision making and lack of courtesy. Everything seems to boil down to calling in the police and letting them deal with it. And when police deal with it, it's always with force or with guns.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sweden, from Wikipedia:

According to Eurostat, in 2010, there were 1.33 million foreign-born residents in Sweden, corresponding to 14.3% of the total population. Of these, 859,000 (64.3%) were born outside the EU and 477,000 (35.7%) were born in another EU Member State.[22][23]

So roughly 64% of foreign-born people are not from the EU. We don't have data on racial make-up considering second and generation immigrants, but we do have this statistic:

As of 2017, Statistics Sweden reported that around 2,439,007 or 24.1% of the inhabitants of Sweden were from a foreign background: that is, each such person either had been born abroad or had been born in Sweden to two parents who themselves had both been born abroad.[20] Also taking into account people with only one parent born abroad, this number increases to almost a third in 2017.[21]

So 64% of foreign-born people are not from the EU. Not all of those are non-white by American standards, so let's say 50% of foreign-born people are non-white. I would say that that is a fair assumption seeing as we don't really have that much immigration from non-EU majority white countries, as shown by this data:
foreign-bornswedesw7pvc.png

By American standards, being mixed race would count you as non-white as well. So 1/3 of the population has one parent who was not born in Sweden, and roughly half of those non-Swedis parent would then be non-white. So we can estimate the number of non-white people to be around 16% of the population. Yes, I know that this is not perfect maths before a pedant chimes in to say just that, but it's probably the best estimate we can get with the numbers available, since Sweden doesn't really track race. (And the reason why countries like Sweden and Germany doesn't track race is NOT as OP suggests because we're all racists, but because the discussion about race is very different in Europe, because in countries like Sweden and Germany we had racists dividing people into races and discriminating based on that and measuring brain size and that kind of thing and during the second half of the last century we realized that that was hugely problematic, and so we stopped tracking race on the government level, because of how doing so and race "science" that had been used to carry out and justify Nazi atrocities.)

So how does that correlate with the demographics of parliament? 43.6% of members of parliament are female, so that does not quite reflect the general population. Only 8.3% of members of parliament were born outside the country which is quite a bit lower than the 14.3% of the entire population.

Last edited:

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread only shows how little Americans understand about the outside world and demonstrates that you can't meassure everything with an American yard stick. Europeans (generally) don't think in terms of black and white. Race is not an acceptable concept, and even proposing something like race would be an affront. Americans just don't seem to understand that there are different varies of racism and the European kind is based on citizenship, ethnicity, culture and (sadly) wealth.
Ofc the government don't track race, race is not a concept. They track citizenship and ethnicities.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The UK had the same issues where Irish and blacks were openly discriminated. Landlords could openly advertise "no blacks no Irish" just some 40-50 years ago. Yet the issues seem to run so much deeper.

Again, before civil rights you had a huge period where there was no slavery but there was nothing resembling fair treatment of blacks. Before the abolishment of slavery you had . . . well wide spread slavery. You had a country that even after civil rights made hard stances to deny black people the ability to climb out of poverty. The situation was and still is far more dire than in the UK.

I understand that the US has a long history when it comes to slavery and I'm not expert but I really do feel that some of the decisions come from bad decision making and lack of courtesy. Everything seems to boil down to calling in the police and letting them deal with it. And when police deal with it, it's always with force or with guns.

Well there are obviously other issues like US gun obsession. But you still have a country where a significant portion of its visible minority population is oppressed and one of the political parties literally caters to racists.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This just doesn't exist in Germany. "Policy makers don't even know that black people as a group exist," says Gyamerah. They are genuinely "surprised when we talk about black people," he says.

Entirely the wrong conclusion. They are trying to apply american solutions, and that simply doesn't work.
No, people here do not "not know" that black people exist. Quite the opposite, the matter is often discussed, and the country is not only aware, it is hyper-aware to the point of hysteria by certain parties. [And before someone freaks out: I'm not accusing parties that want diversity of hysteria, but our right-wingers]

The lack of attention results in racism, and makes solving problems caused by racism harder to fix. "If you want to implement anti-discrimination policies, you need to identify those who are facing discrimination," says Patrick.

In German schools, for instance, advocates of ethnic minorities say teachers block minority pupils from advancing. Students of color are overrepresented in the worst schools in Germany (and underrepresented in the schools designed to send children to universities) and discriminated against in the labor market. "You have no real proof, although you have a lot of anecdotal evidence," says Sarah Chander, an advocacy officer for the European Network Against Racism.

The latter is absolutely true, but racial data does not solve this in the slightest.
That the matter has no attention is also false - this very topic is discussed quite a lot in Germany - check my posting history on that, I've mentioned some of that in my earlier postings for another thread.

Germany has issues. Massive ones. Data that can be used by Nazis won't solve this, all it does is preserve ammunition in case our country falls once more, which is not entirely out of the question, unfortunately. Our AfD (basically the Republicans/Alt-Right in German) is growing.

Our problems are caused by willful neglect by the conservative parties, and ignoring problems instead of ever addressing them. This leads to racism, prejudice against immigrants, and no policies done to solve issues, because said parties don't WANT solutions.
Germany is not ethnically homogenous, but some parties want to pretend it is, and make policy as if it was. They do this entirely independent of stats, by the way: We have stats showing that things need to be done for almost 50(!) years now. Our CDU is great at sitting that shit out, and the CSU is using any data on race it gets to bash migrants. MORE would only give them fuel.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
But lol, Americans love to shove all of the above into one big box labeled as "Hispanic" as a racial thing. (which is ludicrous)

But they don't. The US census recognizes that Latino/Hispanic is not a race. The official races are white, black, American Indian/Alaskan native, Asian, native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, other.

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnic identifier, respondents still have to select a racial category.

malingenie

Oct 29, 2017
We are tracking race AND ethnicities in America, mainly to make sure that we are not causing disparities (like in housing and healthcare: which we are). As a member of a diversity council in a hospital, we constantly are affronted with the irony that to make sure there is no racism, we are asking for racial information.

In France, we find the very concept of race abhorrent. We are all human beings, created equal. Race is a concept that does not make sense, at any level, for us.

That's nice. I hope there are no disparities in employment, health care and housing as well.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
But they don't. The US census recognizes that Latino/Hispanic is not a race. The official races are white, black, American Indian/Alaskan native, Asian, native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, other.

Latino/Hispanic is an ethnic identifier, respondents still have to select a racial category.
Listen to news casters, listen to pundits, listen to the politicians,

the way they talk, the way they way they piece words and sentences together.

the average American Joe thinks that they are all one and the same, thanks to the media and the politicians

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
In France, we find the very concept of race abhorrent. We are all human beings, created equal. Race is a concept that does not make sense, at any level, for us.
Since the word race (in german "Rasse") has a massively negative stigma because of the nazis i can only imagine the outcry from everyone not nazi if the goverment were to introduce race statistics.

I imagine it would be similiar in France or Spain.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

So more skin colour than ethnic/race labels then.

Oct 25, 2017

But it's not even a ethnicity tho, is a made up term to group together a bunch of different people, do you call everyone that speaks English an Anglo like it's that person's ethnicity?

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
Pretending racism doesn't exist in France is pretty hilarious to me

We're not saying it doesn't exist. But keeping "race" statistics would be recognizing that different races exist and it would be differentiating people. Our ideals are against this.

Actually, we define racism as having the belief that there are various races and that some of them are inherently superior to others. Which is what we fight against.

Oct 25, 2017

We are tracking race AND ethnicities in America, mainly to make sure that we are not causing disparities (like in housing and healthcare: which we are). As a member of a diversity council in a hospital, we constantly are affronted with the irony that to make sure there is no racism, we are asking for racial information.
I have actually wondered about how this stuff works, so this is not trolling or anything.
But where does "Asian" start? Turkish people? People from Siberia? Georgia (the country)? Armenia? Can a government official actually tell you, in a legal manner, what race you are or aren't? And since most people are mixed, how do you decide that then? I feel like I have seen 1/4 black, 3/4 white considered black, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The fact that it is NOT a science has so many obvious flaws, I'm actually confused how it works.

Nobody pretends racism doesn't exist. Do you know anything about France?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No... it's not? What are you talking about? Race is one of the most relevant aspects to social dynamics in the United States.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it worked so well in the past", it reads as though you mean to say that acknowledging racism and collecting data on race is partly responsible for the existence of racism.
You have to realize that the European and German (that poster is German) perspective on race is very different than the American one. You may not have heard, but the German government at one point, on unscientific grounds, classified certain people as belonging to the (non-existent) races Jews or Romani (and others) and killed them based on that classification. Still, you see discrimination against Jews, Romani and Balkan people in Europe, even though by American standards, they would all be considered white in terms of race. So, yes, race is not AS important a concept here as in America. Discrimination tends to mostly be based on ethnicity. Often, if you're non-white you would also have non-majority ethnicity, so tracking based on ethnicity rather than race does still capture racial discrimination well here, while tracking based on race would miss a lot of discrimination based on ethnicity.

We still use the word racism of course, but it doesn't only apply to bad treatment based on race, but also to bad treatment based on ethnicity, even if they're in the same race

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We're not saying it doesn't exist. But keeping "race" statistics would be recognizing that different races exist and it would be differentiating people. Our ideals are against this.

Actually, we define racism as having the belief that there are various races and that some of them are inherently superior to others. Which is what we fight against.
Not having statistics on race doesn't really make persecuting people based on things like skin color any harder though because they're incredibly obvious at a glance by nature?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Latino/Hispanic doesn't make much sense as an ethnic idendifier, especially not in europe.

It's also pretty obvious why tracking ethnicity makes more sense than race. There's more to racism than skin colour. Ask the jews or the roma or a number of other ethnic minorities (and their status also varies from country to country).

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
There's a reason why America has a much larger African-American population than the European countries you identified.

With that out of the way, what do you mean by this thread when you say countries?

That people from England can't have an opinion on American race relations? Why stop there? Should someone in New York have an opinion on an incident that occurs in Hawaii?

If you're talking about governments then that's whataboutism. Just because they have a smaller minority population and have their own problems with regards to race relations, that doesn't mean they can't discuss what's going on with the US or criticize it.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand your question, OP. Do you want to remove the right of free speech from all non-Americans? Do you want the racial issues of the USA be swept under the rug because it's inconvenient to be called out on them by other countries? You really can't pretend to be the world police and then start to be deaf when it comes to your own issues. And your numbers are wrong. In Germany there's 22 % of the population that has a migration background. But that doesn't mean that they aren't also German. We only track the nationality, not where you originated from. And our cops don't kill black people on a daily basis, so yeah, we can talk about racial issues in the US and call them out.

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to the UK the US took an extra 60 years and a civil war to end slavery. Then afterwards they had Jim Crow, the KKK and lynchings, a massive prison industrial complex that targets black people, and President birther Trump. Yeah, I think we can criticise.

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
Not having statistics on race doesn't really make persecuting people based on things like skin color any harder though because they're incredibly obvious at a glance by nature?

Here's a good article I found :

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/race-policy-in-france/

Some choice quotes :

Unlike the United States, Britain, or even the Netherlands, France maintains a "color-blind" model of public policy. This means that it targets virtually no policies directly at racial or ethnic groups. Instead, it uses geographic or class criteria to address issues of social inequalities. It has, however, developed an extensive anti-racist policy repertoire since the early 1970s. Until recently, French policies focused primarily on issues of hate speech—going much further than their American counterparts-and relatively less on issues of discrimination in jobs, housing, and in provision of goods and services.

Unlike many other West European countries, and very much unlike English-speaking immigrant societies such as the United States, Canada or Australia, France has intentionally avoided implementing "race-conscious" policies. There are no public policies in France that target benefits or confer recognition on groups defined as races. For many Frenchmen, the very term race sends a shiver running down their spines, since it tends to recall the atrocities of Nazi Germany and the complicity of France's Vichy regime in deporting Jews to concentration camps. Race is such a taboo term that a 1978 law specifically banned the collection and computerized storage of race-based data without the express consent of the interviewees or a waiver by a state committee. France therefore collects no census or other data on the race (or ethnicity) of its citizens.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The concept of race is just different in North America than it is in Europe. That's pretty much what that boils down to in a nutshell. I think if you are just discussing discrimination against people who come from a West African background for example, you wouldn't get much debate about the prevalence of that bias among Europeans or North Americans.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I can safely say I lived in a multi-cultural society and therefore comment on multiculturalism. Let's take a look at this static:

The 2011 Census states 59.8 % White with approx. 40.1% non-white

There are two things that stick out to me.
  1. That data is 7 years old
  2. All white people are just lumped into a number, 59%. I think that needs to be looked at differently, a large amount of immigrants are Polish people. Sure they are white but there is friction between white Polish people and white English people and the post-Brexit news stories certainly highlighted this.
From my personal history:
  1. I lived in the Ealing Borough, one of the biggest areas for Polish immigration. You would hear Polish spoken every day and see Polish convenience stores such as "Polski Sklep" which just means "Polish Shop."
  2. Next to Ealing was Wembley, immigration from central Asia was strong to the point that on more than one occasion I would look around at the busy streets and realise that I am the only white person there. It's a busy area with many immigrants from India and Pakistan, there is a nice temple there and a mosque and a big Indian New Year celebration takes place every year. It's just fascinating, you're not going to find a fish and chip shop easily but you can find Indian music shops, Pakistani jewellry shops etc. It's almost like travelling to another country but you just take a 10 minute walk.
  3. I guess I should mention China Town however there have been issues recently regarding rent prices and therefore speculation that China Town will eventually dissapear. It's beautiful though, the street signs are in both English and Mandarin but compared to China Town in Yokohama, Japan, it is tiny.
I feel grateful to live in London, it really feels diverse. I never traveled much but I felt like I still got to learn a little about the world because of how many different communities have their own home in London. I haven't been to America, so whenever I comment about America, don't take it seriously but I can definitely say I know what it is like to live in a multi cultural environment.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's nice. I hope there are no disparities in employment, health care and housing as well.

Race= false scientific hypothesis based on the fact that some race are better than others
Racism=believing that some race are better than others
Discrimination= favoring a specific group of people based on racism, sexism or prejudice

That's how it is in France.

That's not the case though? Wonder where you got that from.

Pakistan and India were one group until they politically separated. The population groups are closer to each other than other groups in terms of culture, ethnicity, and language.

That's what I was trying to point out, some groups can diverge over the course of history based on several factors. I wouldn't group together India and Pakistan right now even though they're close on a lot of aspects.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
But it's not even a ethnicity tho, is a made up term to group together a bunch of different people, do you call everyone that speaks English an Anglo like it's that person's ethnicity?

I know it doesn't make sense (a white European who immigrates from Spain is Hispanic), but I think they retained the language because of how commonly its used. Hispanic people in the US tend to originate from Latin America.

I have actually wondered about how this stuff works, so this is not trolling or anything.
But where does "Asian" start? Turkish people? People from Siberia? Georgia (the country)? Armenia? Can a government official actually tell you, in a legal manner, what race you are or aren't? And since most people are mixed, how do you decide that then? I feel like I have seen 1/4 black, 3/4 white considered black, but correct me if I'm wrong.

This sheet gives the breakdown of the region of origins they consider for the races.

https://www.census.gov/mso/www/training/pdf/race-ethnicity-onepager.pdf

There's never going to be concrete answers to questions of race because a lot of it is arbitrary. So it's just about defining the categories as they are relevant to the country.

And you self identify racially in the US, so it's based on how you see yourself in the big picture. I bet a lot of darker complected Arabs in the US aren't identifying as white, even though that's what the census suggests they are.

malingenie

Oct 29, 2017
Race= false scientific hypothesis based on the fact that some race are better than others
Racism=believing that some race are better than others
Discrimination= favoring a specific group of people based on racism, sexism or prejudice

Thanks for that glossary, but may I ask, why are you replying with that to my comment?
Using your own definitions: You can't have racism without race, and you can't have discrimination without racism. Are you simply re-stating that you have no Discrimination and Racism in France?