Oct 25, 2017
I am going on a trip soon and wondering if I can charge the Switch with my MacBook Pro charger. They are both USB-C but I don't know if it will bust my Switch.

Also, any recommendations for good carrying cases?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
If it's USB C it would mainly work. I can charge my Switch with a kinda generic USB C cable.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I charge my Switch with my phone charger, and I charge my phone with my laptop charger. By transitive property, you should be fine.

Nov 14, 2017
I use my 2018 MBP charger on my Switch. It's not caused any damage yet! I'd be a bit wary about doing it the other way around, and in any case the Switch charger doesn't put out enough juice to keep a MBP running anyway.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I charge my Switch with my Samsung S8/S9 charger without issue.

A few people have claimed it can damage the battery or something but people say a lot of things; been charging my Switch this way for 2 years now and it's perfectly fine.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people have talked about their Switch's getting bricked using non-Nintendo chargers. Enough that I'll never do it. Even chargers thaat have been sold as third-party switch docks have had these claims.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
A lot of people have talked about their Switch's getting bricked using non-Nintendo chargers. Enough that I'll never do it. Even chargers thaat have been sold as third-party switch docks have had these claims.

That's going to be generic chargers that don't meet standards.

Official Apple and Samsung gear will be up to spec and not an issue.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That will work fine. Charging it undocked will just make it operate like charging a phone with a USB-C port.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yes, USB C devices only draw as much power as they need so there's no danger of overloading it or anything.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
That's going to be generic chargers that don't meet standards.

Official Apple and Samsung gear will be up to spec and not an issue.

I've read plenty that indicates it's Nintendo that didn't follow the specs properly. At best it's a controversy. Unfortunately some of the documentation behind this was lost with Google+.

For the record I charge mine with my Macook charger all the time and if it bricks it bricks.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I do this all the time too. As others have said, wouldn't (and apparently can't?) use it for docked mode, though.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
so weird, i literally just plugged my Switch to my macbook charger and saw this thread. please stop spying on me op

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Another thumbs up here, I do it all the time. I've heard bad things about using the MBP charger with the Switch dock though, so I'd avoid that.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I am mainly looking to bring less chargers on a trip so this is great news.

Another thing you can do is buy one of those multi usb charger bricks. I have an anker one with 5 usb ports (there's also ones on the market with USB-C, but those might not be powerful enough for a MacBook Pro charge+use scenario) and a detachable power cable, meaning I only had to buy a standard Japanese/US power cable when I went to vacation on Japan. And a few small usb cables for my devices of course. No annoying power converter brick!