• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
codwwiisysreqscmsfk.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; beta build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
Overclock3D (English; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
Tech PowerUp (English; launch build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Forcibly enable HDR: Open SteamApps\common\Call of Duty WWII\user_config.cfg and change the value of seta r_allowHDR to 1.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Display adapter: Self-explanatory
Display mode: Fullscreen; Windowed (no border); Windowed
Monitor: Self-explanatory
HDR output: Off/On
Screen refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Sync every frame: Off/On
Aspect ratio: Self-explanatory
FoV: 50 -> 95 in increments of 1
Display resolution: Self-explanatory
Render resolution: 10%; 25%; 50%; 75%; Native; 125%; 150%; 175%; 200%; 225%; 250%; 275%; 300%; 325%; 350%; 375%; 400%

Pre-T2x resolution: 50%; 75%; Native
Post-process anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA 1x; SMAA T2x; Filmic SMAA 1x; Filmic SMAA T2x
Texture resolution: Low; Normal; High; Extra
Normal map resolution: Low; Normal; High; Extra
Specular map resolution: Low; Normal; High; Extra
Sky resolution: Low; Normal
Shader preload: Off/On
Anisotropic filtering: Low; Normal; High
Shadows: Off/On

Shadow map resolution: Normal; High; Extra
Shadow depth: Normal; High
Screen-space shadows: Off; Auto on; Always on
Screen-space reflections: Off; Normal; High
Cache sun shadow maps: Off/On
Depth of field: Off; Low; Normal; High
Motion blur: Off; Low; Medium; High
Screen-space ambient occlusion: Off; Hemi AO; HBAO+; GTAO low; GTAO high
Medium distant ambient occlusion: Off/On
Subsurface scattering: Off/On

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The game unlocks in AU, NZ and Asia in:

t1509634800z0.png

To unlock it early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available and the bandwidth is decent.

Edit: No longer necessary.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
The game unlocks in AU, NZ and Asia in:

t1509634800z0.png

To unlock it early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available and the bandwidth is decent.

Can't you get banned for using VPN on steam?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty: WW2: PC graphics analysis benchmark review

index.php

index.php

Btw, I've just burnt ~40 GBP on this one because ATVI in all their indisputable wisdom has decided that full priced EU/US sourced keys won't not only activate in other regions but download (or run?) after activation too. Thanks, you morons.

Edit: Call of Duty: WWII: Technisch nicht mehr auf der Höhe der Zeit

https:///Z08c.png

Edit2: Call of Duty WW2 im Technik-Test: Zurück zu den Wurzeln, aber technisch nach vorn? [Benchmark-Ticker]

https:///r18c.png

Last edited:

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
i7-4790K @ 4.2 GHz
16 GB DDR3 @ 2400 MHz
ASUS GTX 970 Strix OC

About 80 to 100fps in the first mission @1080p with most settings on High, with a few things on Extra. The only time it drops below 60 is when the game takes control away from you and the HQ depth-of-field and other fancy effects come in. FOV is 85 and AA+render resolution is native 1080p. Overall not bad right now.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
The steam reviews are pretty awful, but those are never something to base a game off of. I see a lot of poor optimization reviews though, maybe they will fix it with some patches.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
  • i7 2600k
  • 16gb ram
  • gtx 970
the game runs really well. I have it running maximum settings at 1080p and it drops to 55-ish here and there, usually large explosions or a lot of characters on screen but its manageable. getting a few stutters now and again, which i think is loading in areas because it seems to happen more turning corners or running across fields. aside from that though, pretty decent. love the inclusion of raw input too. its crazy how most games ignore that, especially shooters.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Runs pretty much perfectly for me. Tried 1440p/144hz and that worked without issue at around 120fps on average and I tried 4k too and it held an almost perfect 60fps with only a few small drops in cutscenes.
  • i7 6700k @4.5
  • GTX 1080 TI
  • 16gb RAM

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Call of Duty: WW2: PC graphics analysis benchmark review
You don't post 1080p results any longer? =) Maybe its obsolete, but ouch!
My gtx 970 feels fine in this game (too bad i don't want to buy it though)
On other hand my 8gb will not
First off, 8GB system RAM isn't really enough with the better settings; you want 12GB at a minimum which also is recommended, so that makes sense.
index.php

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Hey Jase, you may wanna update this part and switch out the word "mention" to "tag" so that you'll get notified. Saves you searching.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get an answer in the OT so I'll figure I ask here:

I've always been a console CoD player but am interested in jumping in on the PC version.

How much does CoD's active playerbase drop off after launch on PC? Is it significant? Are hackers still as prevalent as they were in the older games?

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
The beta ran like crap on my 960m/6700hq. If anyone bought the game and has a comparable laptop, I would be interested in the results.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
These 2 settings still confuse me:
Render resolution: 10%; 25%; 50%; 75%; Native; 125%; 150%; 175%; 200%; 225%; 250%; 275%; 300%; 325%; 350%; 375%; 400%

I guess Render Resolution is downsampling? it's better to use this settings instead of upping the monitor resolution setting? and I totally lost of what Pre-T2x resolution does.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

I guess Render Resolution is downsampling? it's better to use this settings instead of upping the monitor resolution setting? and I totally lost of what Pre-T2x resolution does.

I'm still confused by this, too, but from I've gathered you want to let the T2X resolution at native and the render res is the actual down-/upsampling.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I am leaving T2X at native, I.am going to guess lowering that setting is for people with less powerful hardware.

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
If anyone had 5 mins to screens his key bindings to share it with me, I'll be really happy, can't find the default key bindings anywhere and I don't want to play the campaign with a controller.

Thank you very much !

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If anyone had 5 mins to screens his key bindings to share it with me, I'll be really happy, can't find the default key bindings anywhere and I don't want to play the campaign with a controller.

Thank you very much !

Those are my own key bindings that I basically use since the old CoD 4 days. Note that my mouse has two thumb buttons (Logitech G502), so you may want to switch them up a bit if you don't have such a mouse. Also: I haven't played the multiplayer yet, so the singleplayer bindings are a bit different.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty WWII: Benchmark Performance Analysis

1440.png

You don't post 1080p results any longer? =) Maybe its obsolete, but ouch!
Well, they're available through the link(s). I feel like with fps we're getting lately (like >100 fps in 1440p) 1080p is fast becoming obsolete in PC gaming scene - at least in a sense that it's more and more CPU limited and thus doesn't really provide a relevant picture for a GPU comparison.

First one is the option of scaling rendering resolution down or up from native (down being rendering in sub-native res, up being supersampling).
Second one is the option of using temporal reconstruction (kinda like checkerboarding) for 25 or 50% or final frame pixels.
If it's anything like in WD2 then the best results are usually achieved from combining these two options.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get an answer in the OT so I'll figure I ask here:

I've always been a console CoD player but am interested in jumping in on the PC version.

How much does CoD's active playerbase drop off after launch on PC? Is it significant? Are hackers still as prevalent as they were in the older games?

It depends really, IW peaked at about 15k concurrent players in MP then dropped off pretty quick, MW:R peaked at about 6k then died very quickly. I saw more hackers in IW/MW:R on PC then I ever did in COD1/2/MW/MW2.

I think BO 3 did alright but I didn't buy it, looking at Steam charts it has 2.7k avg players in the last 30 days vs IW's 857.

WW2 already has way higher numbers than IW ever did, so I'd guess the outlook is OK.

Violet Wren

Oct 25, 2017
So I absolutely love this game. Best CoD for me since Black Ops 2, but I am having some insane stuttering issues in multiplayer that do not pop up in zombies or the campaign. The stutters do not cause a drop in fps or seem to be linked to any sort of spike in cpu or gpu usage. The game also isn't using up all of the available ram or vram, and it happens no matter what settings I use. Is it possible this is network related? This stuttering happened during beta as well, but I have since moved and changed ISP. It also seems to spike the moment I am in a gunfight or around other people.

Any thoughts?

Specs:
6600K oc'd to 4.3 ghz
1070 on latest drivers
8GB Ddr4

shanafan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ypsilanti, MI
Well, shit. Color me impressed with this game.

On high, I am able to have locked 60 FPS in native 4K with my 1070. Pretty flipping happy with this.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to pull out high settings with 1080p and 100fps locked.

1070 8GB

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on latest drivers. I could try disabling MSI Afterburner but I use it to control my fan curve. Other than that, there's nothing to disable.
Go into AB settings, monitoring tab and uncheck "Power" monitoring graph if it's checked. It's a known issue with the latest drivers, polling power sensor requires too much time and this could lead to stuttering sometimes.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the impression from the beta that this was using the same engine build as MW:R (or a least an updated version of it). When I had a GTX 970, multiplayer was a stutter fest, unless I turned on shader pre-load ...... which entirely eliminated the stutter when I tested it in a local game, but when I tried to join an MP game ..... well the game took too long loading so it timed me out. I also had a problem where despite textures being set to max, everything loaded in and stayed low. When I switched the RX 480, with shader pre-load off, the game ran like butter, no stutter at all and fast load times, along with expected graphics settings. The only odd thing being frame rate drops when looking at the map from certain angles (which I also had in the beta with the 480).

If there is an option in the graphics menu for shader pre-load, turn it on and load up a local match, see if it stutters during that.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
The stuttering on my end seems like it could be something to do with the network, it's been absolutely fine today.

The only issue I'm having now is the game forgetting my FOV setting, it's annoying having to set it every time I load it up.

Violet Wren

Oct 25, 2017
The stuttering on my end seems like it could be something to do with the network, it's been absolutely fine today.

The only issue I'm having now is the game forgetting my FOV setting, it's annoying having to set it every time I load it up.

This was the conclusion I came to. Graphics settings seemingly had no effect on it, and in offline bot matches and other modes the game ran fine.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
anyone figured out what the most demanding settings are yet? i've been playing around with them but apart from shadows, i can't really notice much difference with any of them.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So been playing the campaign and I'm getting ungodly amount of stuttering, strange since the D-Day mission didn't have any for me. I can run the game at 4K/60FPS on an i7 6700K/GTX 1080 during gameplay at max settings most of the time. Ingame Cinematics drop quite a bit possibly due to heavy DoF and usage of other advanced shader effects. At 1620P I'd comfortably sitting above 60FPS even in worst case scenario if it wasn't for that stuttering.

Anyways a bit of an opinion on the game's visuals themselves, I think I've figured out the exact visual style of Sledgehammer.
Unlike Treyarch that goes for a colourful and stylised look (even if it means it ends up looking a bit cartoony) and Infinity Ward that goes for a very crisp and realistic look, Sledgehammer seems to go for straight up CGI movie look with a very soft and subdued lighting style with great character models and immaculate materials, they even use CGI movies frequently while the other two studios use real time cutscenes (which look amazing still mind you and are an upgrade over gameplay/gameplay cutscenes). Their lighting is very very good with little to no flaws so much so that it is extremely hard to find even a random instance during gameplay where you'd find an object or character lit harshly, this is something even Naughty Dog can't manage in their games (it's very usual in Uncharted games to come across harsh light sources with overexposure and flickery shadows).

While all this does make the image in Sledgehammer games quite blurry, they also look quite "flawless" and "CGI like" compared to games from the other two studios, even if in reality they don't employ some of the more advanced visual techniques seen in games by Treyarch and Infinity Ward. For example, much like Advanced Warfare I do not think WW2 is using volumetric lighting..something that both Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare used quite liberally. Also like Advanced Warfare it seems they don't use object motion blur all the time and only turn it on and off during specific sections...while both Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare had object motion blur turned on all the time (IW had it turned on all the time even in MP). Another thing that both Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare did better is particles, WW2 does quite mediocre particles in comparison.

Last edited: