Oct 25, 2017
ySxubjq.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One
Release Date:
PC - November 21st, 2019​
PS4, Switch, Xbox One - May 28th, 2020​
Genre: RPG
Price: $19.99 to $24.99 USD (depending on platform)
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Moonsprout Games
Publisher: DANGEN Entertainment
Size: ~300MB

ExploreGIF.gif

2eir5vb.png

What is Bug Fables?
Bug Fables is a crowdfunded RPG that is heavily inspired by the first two Paper Mario titles.

How does it play?
The game is split between exploration where you will navigate your trio of bugs through towns, fields and dungeons. When you're not doing that you'll be solving puzzles or engaged in combat.

How does combat work?
Similar to Paper Mario, combat is turn-based where you'll use action commands (timed button presses) to enhance your attacks or defense.You'll also have access to items such as meals that you can cook while outside of combat.

Character progression?
Your party will level up to increase their stats and be able to equip "medals" that alter the whole group or an individual character. Modifications like increased mobility on the overworld or increasing the party's TP.

Random encounters?
No, you'll encounter enemies on the field. Touching them will start off a combat encounter.

Controller support?
Yes, the game has full controller support on PC.

How long is the game?
It depends on the difficulty selected and how much you engage with side content. The developers have seen tester playtimes range from 15 to 60 hours.

There was controversy relating to the game's publisher?
Yes, the full extent of which is detailed in this thread.

Physical release?
Yes, via Limited Run Games:

wxYJ7OI.png

ss_ae349225eaf9dda16cfa8fb94f2591b23bba3ef1.600x338.jpg
ss_4ea54c3b9a2b2e524fcca354b5b982e1c1a8b977.600x338.jpg

ss_df45db6740f47b58031fe10b0675d71673fe0f54.600x338.jpg
ss_21400f8fa81e63d2ae95538ddfbf7f23e1c0c270.600x338.jpg

luGFitS.png

Metacritic
PC | Switch | PS4 | XB1
Opencritic

The Gamer 4/5
Nintendo hasn't made a true Paper Mario game since 2004's Thousand Year Door, and if you've always wished for another game like those first two in the series then you should probably check this out. It doesn't revolutionize the RPG formula, but Bug Fables shows that you don't need an Italian plumber to have fun playing with paper.

Arlo - "...one of my absolute favorite gaming experiences in recent memory..."

5SVBZw7.png

Review Thread
Itch 'dot' io
Official Site

Last edited:

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Will subscribe, but not sure if I will buy it now or wait for the Switch version. So, compared to the first 2 Paper Mario games, how much better than Sticker Star is it?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Will subscribe, but not sure if I will buy it now or wait for the Switch version. So, compared to the first 2 Paper Mario games, how much better than Sticker Star is it?

The game doesn't have a lot of the systems that folk dragged Sticker Star for, like skills being tied to limited use items, so it's better in that respect.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I was gonna wait for a Switch version to release, but man I just got way too excited at the prospect of a "new Paper Mario" and had to get it. I'll probably end up double dipping anyway, I replay Paper Mario games on a yearly basis, so I can't see this being any different.

I played for about 2 hours last night, so far it's perfect, it's just different enough to make the combat feel like it's own thing, but so very very close to Paper Mario to make it feel familiar and not too far from what I wanted. I hope it continues to be as enjoyable as it is so far.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
I streamed the first hour and a half last week and I quite enjoyed it. The characters are charming and the gameplay seems almost identical to the first two Paper Mario Games.

The first dungeon was a bit too long for my taste, so I hope they don't only get longer from there.

Edit: I forgot to rave about how it changes the button prompts to the controller you are using, which almost no games do. Also there is an option to have the music resume after battles instead of restarting *chefs kiss*

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I played 2 hours up to the first boss.
The game is seriously like a lost Paper Mario/TTYD offshoot :)
It oozes charm in graphics and music. The paper style really looks great. Battles are fun and have all the button pressing etc to do damage and defend. You have TP for special moves the party shares. The whole group levels up together and on leveling you can increase HP/TP/Medal Points which are badges.

If you loved Paper Mario I can very safely recommend you try this game. It's super high quality and is really fun to play!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
On difficulty:

I equipped the Hard Mode Medal that increased difficulty because an npc said to come see him if I defeat and difficult monsters with it.
I can NOT beat the first boss with it (but made it to him using the medal).
I have leveled up as far as is reasonably doable and he just does too much damage.
Does anyone know what you get if you kill him with the increased difficulty?
I may unequip it so I can progress but don't want to miss something great!!!

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and Wandersong, I'm glad people are trying to keep the Paper Mario spirit alive. Idk if I'll have time to check it out this year, but this seems like a good game to check out in January when things slow down a bit

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Yeah, there's supposed to be a merchant who sells medals you would normally get from beating bosses on hard.

cool - I was OK with the higher difficulty on normal enemies since there have been some lefty of healing/save points but the boss....lol I must suck because I don't think I can beat him on hard no matter what

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
Two hours in, the game is pretty decent: battle system, hard mode from start, side quests, etc. Hope it can keeps on giving. Enemy drops lots of berries in hard mode(don't know about normal difficulty) so I can do sidequest-explore without worrying paying for inn. First dungeon has quiet a few save/heal crystal which is also a good thing.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty fascinated by hard mode.

Paper Mario games are usually pretty easy so its interesting to see what the battle system could actually be like if the AI pushed back more and required you not to sit on your resources.

Having a blast with this. Really love the DQ style party talk. They'll comment on every map and NPC (if you're close enough) in the game if you hit select.

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
Hard mode is no joke, I need to load the game and hoard some dishes to beat the second chapter boss. I read on steam forum that the hard mode medal not only increase enemy attack by one, it also changes their AI and even let them do some fakes.

Does anyone knowWhere the ball is? I'm at chapter 3 and just get access to the desert.

I guess I'll just left the game open when I'm leaving.

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
Find a method to grind some berries on early chapters.

On the road to Snakemouth, equip hard mode medal and hard hits medal(bought from medal shop), beat all the seedlings in one turn, they drop over 30 berries in average, and sometimes drops egg or leaf. Head to the bank then come back they'll respawn. it's weird the weakest enemy drops the most berries.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the other thread, wanted to pop into this OT to give support. First time hearing about this and it looks like exactly what I've been dreaming of. Will definitely check it out soon.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta feel for the devs. I hope Dangen responds to the controversy soon so people feel confident these guys will get paid.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Never saw that game before, download it last night, just finish chapter 1....

Wow it's amazing, paper mario but witth hard mode active it's a amazing experience. Did the first boss on first try but it was super challenging ! I love it so far ! Puzzle are a little too simple so far, but i'm sure thing will get less easy.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The more I read impressions the more hyped I get. I sure hope it hits Switch early in 2020.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oaky, I'm close to 100%ing the game now, but I can't find the last lore book.
The hint for it is
""A wandering soul finds his home". I guess this is maybe the bug with the hat, but I don't know where he ended up..."]
"Also, I'm getting very annoyed with this Flappy Bird minigame, I've come so close to beating the high score a couple of times, but I always fuck it up at the very end."

Last edited:

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone got all the medals yet?
I have everything in the game now except the thing that says "get all the medals".
The fortune teller guy says there are no more rares
I bought out the medal shop, the crystal shop, and the one badge the caravan sold.
I beat every boss on hard mode.
I beat boss rush and mini boss rush (non EX) and the cave of trials.
I finished every request.
Is there any other place to get medals?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have not made any forward progress for a while...because there's just so much fun side content to do, and, the game really knows how to be rewarding if you put the time into it.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Has there been any news on the Switch release yet? Really want to play this but holding out for the Switch version.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh this thread has a LOT less replies than I was expecting. I wasn't paying attention to this game until it was announced for consoles.

How was it? (Detailed breakdowns in game balance/progression, combat system, level design/overworld traversal, puzzles or lack thereof appreciated)

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Huh this thread has a LOT less replies than I was expecting. I wasn't paying attention to this game until it was announced for consoles.

How was it? (Detailed breakdowns in game balance/progression, combat system, level design/overworld traversal, puzzles or lack thereof appreciated)
Since noone else responded to this I'll just say I think the game is extremely good.
I finished the game like half a year ago, so unfortunately I can't go into any detailed breakdowns of the game's systems, but it was one of my favourite games of last year.
I think it was a perfect "successor" to classic Paper Mario games if you've ever played either of those.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I realize it's out tomorrow on consoles but I have a nice new gaming PC I bought at the end of last year and honestly I haven't gamed a whole lot on it. Really thinking about picking this up on some device, probably Switch if it runs okay. I didn't realize I was craving that Paper Mario gameplay as much as I was.