VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
I am pretty sure it would be near impossible to find anyone on Era who hasn't heard of Bubble Bobble ; its basically the equivalent of gaming "royalty". Between Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bobble / Bust-A-Move, the series has been with us since 1986, which seems ancient!

Yet somehow, with that type of lineage, the series still has some awesome hidden gems barely anyone HAS heard about...and Bubble Memories is at the top of that list.

Yes its Bubble Bobble except more colorful, modern, and advanced. Same concept...you are a Bubble Dragon (I love typing that lol) who defeats his enemies with Bubbles. Simple stuff...but it's really the meta game underneath the surface that makes something like Memories way deeper than you'd imagine. The series has always loved adding in a harder and more complex game under the colorful facade it shows you ; hidden codes that need to be deciphered to see the best ending, requirements to get to X level without dying to access hidden doors, and hidden potions required to change back into your "human" character and truly defeat the game.

For a colorful game that seems targeted towards kids, it would be near impossible for a child to actually beat it. I know back in the day when I had Bubble Bobble on NES I could never get the best ending without straight up using codes. So it's an interesting game and series ; designed for kids visually yet infinitely deep in scoring mechanics and secrets.

Weirdly this sort of got a port...but good luck finding it. There is a port on the Taito Memories II japanese exclusive release but I've played it and it does not feel great. Controls are laggy and it's def not arcade perfect. If you want arcade perfect and don't want to collect the OG PCB, you can hunt for the Korean Exclusive PC release. I found one two years ago and had to confirm with some Korean collector friends it was actually authentic....and I have not seen a second one in two years! So it's mythical status rare lol...and arcade perfect.

But any way you play, you have to check out Bubble Memories. It deserves way more love and attention than it gets!

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
youtu.be

Bubble Memories : Bubble Bobble III - Unported Playlist

Hello and welcome to "The Unported Playlist"Over ten episodes, I will be talking about ten of my favorite unported arcade games. There are a massive amount o...

So you know what it looks like. I've cleared these "preservation / historical / etc" threads with mods. All I really want you to do is go play Bubble Memories...maybe even today haha (Hope all you American Era folk are having a good Memorial Day!)

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
I thought Rainbow Islands was the lost and unloved member of the Bubble Bobble family

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yep. That game sucked. People hated it so much that Taito went back to making traditional Bubble Bobble games, thank god.

What the hell is this.

Bubble memories isn't bad I just wish it had an option or dipswitch to kill those ugly backgrounds.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Jack Bros is made by Atlus, Parasol Stars is actually "The Story of Bubble Bobble II" but I think Bubble Symphony is actually set afterwards and is also known as Bubble Bobble II. lol
I thought there was a real Bubble Bobble II on the NES? It's really pricey too.

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Can't be as bad Wonder Boy lol.

Wonderboy gets confusing because of how Westone and SEGA controlled the rights, SEGA owned the Wonderboy branding-- not the games themselves.

Bubble Bobble II is just straight up Taito naming shit whatever they wanted lol, IIRC the NES Bubble Bobble II was outsourced and Taito only made the GB Bubble Bobble II-- which is also an entirely different game than the NES game (and also called Bubble Bobble Junior in Japan).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Snow Bros is made by Toaplan. Mechanically similar yet unrelated. The amount of Bubble Bobble clones in the late 80s and early 90s, some even from Taito themselves, is something else.
This is another game needs a legit modern port by ACA. I heard it's in IP rights hell tho.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Snow Bros (unrelated) and Bubble Bobble rule. I didn't know about this Bubble Memories game.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
More of a weird uncle than a direct relative, but Don Doko Don is kinda fun too

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Jack Bros is made by Atlus, Parasol Stars is actually "The Story of Bubble Bobble II" but I think Bubble Symphony is actually set afterwards and is also known as Bubble Bobble II. lol
Parasol Stars was subtitled "The Story of Bubble Bobble III" or "Rainbow Islands II" depending on the console and region. Rainbow Islands was the one with "The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 / II" on some versions.

Bubble Symphony was retitled Bubble Bobble II for the west (both in arcades and the canceled EU PSX port). And Bubble Memories brings back "The Story of Bubble Bobble III" subtitle, lol.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
youtu.be

Hello and welcome to "The Unported Playlist"Over ten episodes, I will be talking about ten of my favorite unported arcade games. There are a massive amount o...

So you know what it looks like. I've cleared these "preservation / historical / etc" threads with mods. All I really want you to do is go play Bubble Memories...maybe even today haha (Hope all you American Era folk are having a good Memorial Day!)
Excellent video and channel, subscribed!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
youtu.be

Good news, the game is on the Switch right now:

www.nintendo.com

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

Playing alone or with up to 3 friends in couch co-op mode, jump your bubble dragons through 100 levels to defeat the wicked magician Bonner and his henchmen.

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I remember putting in a lot of time on a Bubble Bobble port on my TI-83+ calculator back in the day. Not sure what the rule would be about linking that here, I don't know where it falls on the continuum of ROMs vs. fangames. It was remarkably full featured for something running on a system with a 1-bit 96x64 pixel display.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm a huge Bubble Bobble fan but I haven't played Memories. Given how Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars, and Bubble Symphony were all very different from each other, it seems a bit of a shame that Memories would strip away Symphony's core innovations on the BB formula and become a more traditional Bubble Bobble experience. But again, I haven't played it yet.

For what it's worth, Bubble Bobble 1 and Parasol Stars are probably my favorites in the series.
Yep. That game sucked. People hated it so much that Taito went back to making traditional Bubble Bobble games, thank god.
Incorrect. Rainbow Islands was reviewed very well and was ported to every computer and console under the sun.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Is the PC version one of those old Win9x ones that are a pain to run on modern systems without virtualization?
From the PC ports, Puzzle Bobble 3 is impossible to run because of it, requiring a specific vga card driver. Puzzle Bubble 2 runs but it has correct speed issues.

Puzzle Bubble 4 and Super Puzzle Bubble run fine, so I guess it is that team that ported the game.
There was an authentic arcade cab of that game 15 years ago and it was quite popular and I caught some 2 player co-op advanced play.
But I guess that was the limit of 32-bit graphics and gameplay the franchise could reach back then, so Taito decided to devote more time into the more lucrative Puzzle Bobble from then on.

I actually prefer it to Bubble Symphony. One big issue with Symphony is that the music boxes are supposed to be hidden, posing a challenge to find them. Yet in later stages they appear on the stage from the start , making the game easier. Port issue? Emulation issue? Programming issue on the original hardware?

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
Is the PC version one of those old Win9x ones that are a pain to run on modern systems without virtualization?
From the PC ports, Puzzle Bobble 3 is impossible to run because of it, requiring a specific vga card driver. Puzzle Bubble 2 runs but it has correct speed issues.

Puzzle Bubble 4 and Super Puzzle Bubble run fine, so I guess it is that team that ported the game.
There was an authentic arcade cab of that game 15 years ago and it was quite popular and I caught some 2 player co-op advanced play.
But I guess that was the limit of 32-bit graphics and gameplay the franchise could reach back then, so Taito decided to devote more time into the more lucrative Puzzle Bobble from then on.

I actually prefer it to Bubble Symphony. One big issue with Symphony is that the music boxes are supposed to be hidden, posing a challenge to find them. Yet in later stages they appear on the stage from the start , making the game easier. Port issue? Emulation issue? Programming issue on the original hardware?

no it's a modern port. Well up to XP / 2000 that is. Honestly I have the files to run it from another collector, but my copy is still sealed. I've never brought myself to actually break the shrink wrap lol. I'll take some photos and post them later.

the music boxes appear in later stages? How are you playing? I've never encountered that in my playthrough

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I wish we'd get an HD version of Puzzle Bobble 1/2 with basic quality of life improvements. The Neo Geo emulated version is passable, but I'd love if it were refined for modern platforms.

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
I just hate seeing that Hyper Neo Geo 64 board stuck in the N64 like that. :(

lol don't worry. It's protected on both sides with foam and nowhere near the cart port pins. I wanted some way to visually represent "arcade game that won't work in a console" and that was it.

"No consoles or games were harmed in the making of this intro"!

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Since when? Rainbow Islands was critically acclaimed when it came out and when it was ported to the Amiga etc. Even the Spectrum version was a good port.

OP
OP
VGEsoterica

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
Since when? Rainbow Islands was critically acclaimed when it came out and when it was ported to the Amiga etc. Even the Spectrum version was a good port.

yes Rainbow Islands is legit. As is Parasol Stars. They are all awesome in their own right even if Bubble Bobble is my favorite variant in the series

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
no it's a modern port. Well up to XP / 2000 that is. Honestly I have the files to run it from another collector, but my copy is still sealed. I've never brought myself to actually break the shrink wrap lol. I'll take some photos and post them later.

the music boxes appear in later stages? How are you playing? I've never encountered that in my playthrough

I see. I'd be interested to learn more, eg is music CD audio with better sampling rate quality or just the same as the rom?

I meant in Bubble Symphony the 3 music boxes you have to collect every 7 levels to get the key. In the first 7 levels they are hidden and become visible only if you reach the their spot. But after the stages after the first boss battle, they become semi-transparent, making it easier to spot them. In Memories the 3 magic potions are always non-visible. So I wonder if they did not emulate it properly or it exists in the original too. Taito F3 graphics emulation is still incomplete.

Also in Memories during boss battle there appears a cloud from wherethe boss jumps out,coming from below. Though he is visible even before appearing in the cloud.
Initially I thought that he should be invisible from the start, like it happens with the game intro in the theater curtain. But it seems this exists in the original arcade too, I just could not remember it.