• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"I'm from Korea."
"Oh, cool! I went to China once!"

You may be trying to relate, but in practice you're having the opposite effect.
The point I'm making- the list suggests that it's in bad faith. I see that a nothing other than, "Ive been to that region!"

There's real racism out there. Happening every day. Unarmed men being shot, oppressed in the workplace and in society. Why should we be moving the goal to "don't try to interact with me in an interpersonal level!"

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
Never in my life have I seen such a long crap list, made by a hypocrite. First, it says:

39. Recognize that you can't assume someone's religion based on how they look. Not all South Asians and Middle Eastern people are Muslims, not all Black people are Christian, not all East Asian people are Buddhist. You get the idea.

Ok, that is fair enough. But then:

77. Stand up to Islamophobia wherever you see it.

What the heck does this have to do with race? Or did the writer just assume that most Muslims are middle easterns?

A lot of Muslims in the US are also people of color. So if you do a thing that helps Muslims out, you will also be helping out a % of people of color. And also, this is a worldwide concept. Off the top of my head i believe either Malaysia or Indonesia is the worlds most populous Muslim majority country. I may be off. But at this point you get the gist. Or maybe you were just concern trolling and feigning some mild outrage. Either way, enjoy the rest of your day.

Oct 25, 2017
Never in my life have I seen such a long crap list, made by a hypocrite. First, it says:

39. Recognize that you can't assume someone's religion based on how they look. Not all South Asians and Middle Eastern people are Muslims, not all Black people are Christian, not all East Asian people are Buddhist. You get the idea.

Ok, that is fair enough. But then:

77. Stand up to Islamophobia wherever you see it.

What the heck does this have to do with race? Or did the writer just assume that most Muslims are middle easterns?
... What? I don't see your point.

Muslims are a minority in this West and tend to get treated pretty badly you do know that right

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Alright. How do you think this list helps make the life of PoCs less frustrating when most people are likely to dismiss it after reading the first 10 things on the list?

Not as a POC person but as an LGTB person that has dealt with similar lists and straight people rolling their eyes at them: this is a list of microaggressions. This means, these are kinds of aggressions that by themselves, completely out of context and devoid of iteration feel petty or extremely mild stuff to get mad over, almost basically "non-issues". But the point is that these aggressions happen all day every day several times a day and they start piling up onto one anothers and it hurts. A FUCKING LOT. That's why it's so disheartening when people dismiss the whole stuff just because they don't "get" or "agree" with a couple of points.

Take the classic example of "don't touch my hair". By itself and devoid of context and cultural baggage it sounds stupid and petty but in a context of dehumanising and objectifying POC and as a recurrent incident, it gets tiring and hurtful very quick. Same goes with queer people suffering from "compulsory heterosexuality", this is: being assumed you're straight by default in every single social interaction until proven otherwise.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
when you have republicans, or dumbass children of republicans, dabbing, that's pretty tone-deaf considering how much damage the GOP has done towards black people in america

I'm going to assume that there is a greater cultural significance to dabbing that I'm missing, because otherwise what, but in any case, saying dabbing is a black culture thing isn't actually doing anything to that problem at all.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
User warned: please do not use "retarded" as a slur, it is not allowed here
Eh...isn't that what lots of people do? And in standing up against Islamophobia, you'd be fighting against that?

How I read it, anyway.

I don't care what people do with their hair. Just don't touch mine.

So you're just going to pretend like a lot of islamophobia is not based on race? That racists don't call Sikhs "Muslims" because they are brown and wear dastaars?

Okay that's one thing you had issue with in this "long crap list." What else do you think is crap?

Ok, I will comment some of them for you guys.

1. Just because you can't see racism around you doesn't mean it's not happening. Trust people of color's assessment of a situation.

I have come across many instances where fingers were pointed and it did not have the slightest of racism. I have my own thought and mind, and I will assess the situation as I care.

4. If someone tells you they're from Uganda, don't say, "I went to Nigeria once!" Just, please.

If I tell someone that I am Egyptian and they reply that they went to Morroco once, then why would I be mad? I would more than love to talk about his experiences and undergo similarities and differences.

5. Related: Don't refer to Africa as a country. It's a continent and it's wildly varied. Yes. Take a moment.

Well, I am not retarded. Now, the list is a guide targeted towards whites, right? So again, the writer assumes that most whites are below the normal intelligence range? ok.

11. Don't rinse our culturally specific memes. They're ours. Go enjoy that weird one about the plums.

I will use them and laugh at them as I please, so no.

12. If you're at my house party, don't turn off the Weeknd to put on Arctic Monkeys. (Okay this one is very specific but it happened to me once and I'm not over it. The audacity!)

I love the weeknd as much as I love Arctic Monkeys, but I think this is pretty much subjective and has nothign to do with racism.

16. Don't question someone's Blackness if they're light-skinned. It's not your place. Other Black people can make sure that light-skinned Black people are cognizant of their privilege.

And it is not the place of POC either, let light-skinned identify themselves as they wish.

17. Never try and tell a person of color what is or isn't racist.

Of course, I can and I will. I have my own opinion, and if we disagree that's fine.

20. Understand that some days are even more mentally exhausting for people of color thanks to the news cycle. Try not to badger us for our opinions on the latest atrocity that has occurred. Leave us to grieve.

Ok sure, will d.... "22. Share articles relating to the everyday experiences of race and racism written by people of color."... What....

25. Watch shows that are created by people of color i.e. Atlanta or Insecure.

I will watch anything I liked, and I will not force myself through a show if its bad, just for the sake of the director being POC.

50. If you call a woman of color "exotic," you deserve to stub your toe every day for a year. Do. Not. Do. This.

I will never call a person exotic, but I am sure as hell can feel if a person is exotic to me. Let us look what exotic means: "of foreign origin or character; not native;" If I met someone from Japan, I would die to have a conversation with them and learn about cultural differences.

60. If someone asks you to fill a role that you think a person of color would be better suited for, recommend a talented person of color who you know and forego the position yourself.

What role would a POC be better at than a non-POC? And no, I will apply for that position myself if Its one I want.

62. Refuse to speak on an all-white panel. Regardless of the topic.

lolno. Should I also refuse to speak at the black panther panel because they are all POC?

65. Commission people of color to make work about race.
66. Commission people of color to make work that has nothing to do with race.

What?

79. Listen when Black people say, "I'm not comfortable in this situation." You've seen Get Out, haven't you?
80. If you haven't seen Get Out, watch Get Out. Understand that the everyday horror is real.

I haven't seen get out, but god damn, I bet my life savings, that shit does not happend to every POC, everyday. Come one.

82. Don't have dreadlocks if you're not Black, just don't. Beyond being offensive, it's just not suited to your hair type. Do literally anything else with your hair.

GTFO

86. Don't even think about saying the N word. Even if you're alone. Even if you're listening to rap. Even if you're alone and listening to rap.

Now, this is an interesting topic. I believe NO-ONE, should use that word, and I was close to making a thread for this after watching dear-white-people.

93. Remember that your queerness/womanhood/transness/class background/disability doesn't exclude you from white privilege.
96. Understand that nothing in your life has been untouched by your whiteness. Everything you have would have been harder to come by if you had not been born white.

I don't believe in being white gives you access to stuff that others cant.

95. Don't assume, full stop, that you can understand what it's like to experience racism. You can't. That's the whole point.

I experience racism quite often.

There you go. There was some of them. I have only taken the most important ones. Many of the others are just bollocks.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I already said what that shit is about.

Regardless of what you mean, putting someone on trial for dating, marrying, or having kids with someone outside their race is going to look even more... racy.

There's a lot of things in this list, in my opinion, that it shouldn't fucking pussyfoot around with. Just say "don't start mixed race families because you think that mixed babies are cute / black children are stronger / whatever". Telling people to "think about their intentions" in starting a relationship solely because you're not the same race, again, pretty fuckin' suspect.

Oct 27, 2017
The point I'm making- the list suggests that it's in bad faith. I see that a nothing other than, "Ive been to that region!"

There's real racism out there. Happening every day. Unarmed men being shot, oppressed in the workplace and in society. Why should we be moving the goal to "don't try to interact with me in an interpersonal level!"
Yeah, but I can't stop a guy from shooting up a black church, or a Nazi parade, or systemic racism in law enforcement.

But I can be mindful of how other people perceive my actions. If I'm aware that someone will probably see my earnest engagement as a teeny bit insulting, I can simply avoid it.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I already said what that shit is about.

I feel the list would've been better had the author expanded on some of those points. Decent list, nonetheless. Although I agree some parts are silly. I'm from Brazil and people are always telling me they've been to South America (usually Argentina or Uruguay). The countries are very dissimilar (Brazil itself is a very big place), but it's still interesting to hear about their experience and compare to my own.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Most of these I can't imagine ever doing. So that's good I guess. Idk.

Don't tell me where to live though. I'll live where the fuck I want and where I can afford.

Edit: I meant most of these are based on not being an asshole in general, and I either do them or don't do them depending on what the item is

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Before I answer your question. Let me ask you. Have you read through the entire list? Did you read my OP? Because your posts isn't helping.

If you choose not to answer or have a snide remark to my post. I'm leaving it at that and letting this thread move on and ignore you.
First I read the OP, and then the full list, read it again after your post. I will admit though that I mostly skimmed over it at first because I was surprised someone could come up with some of the stuff here. After reading the whole list, more than half of it I don't agree with. This is also directed at a specific race, which means more than likely it will never be read by moderates or folks who lean slightly right. It tries to fit a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with the premise of the list like opposing gentrification. In #2 and #9 it says that PoC are individuals, of course. But then the vast majority of the stuff there assumes that PoC agree with that list, when that obviously isn't the case. I do not agree with several points in that list, including: #3, I actually made a thread about this that you can read here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ho...e-or-get-it-wrong-aka-racial-ambiguity.29113/, a lot of the stuff there tells people how they should live when that's not at all necessary. Some of the stuff in that list is downright ridiculous like I first mentioned, like #54. That one was the most absurd to me out of the list. I think you could shrink it down to less than 50 because I do think a lot of the stuff there is actually useful and deserve to be on that list.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
15. Don't say shit like, "I know what it's like to be a person of color...I'm a ginger!"

This made me laugh because it's pretty much been posted here. lol

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These lists always end up making people feel like they have to walk on eggshells to not offend someone. Don't think that's a very healthy way to interact with people. Just be yourselves and communicate. We can overcome our differences by just talking to each other in an honest way.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
101. "You're so we'll spoken/articulate." is not a compliment.

I'm genuinely shocked this isn't on the list. I see it way too much, especially with older generations.

I like this one a lot:

26. Have a critical eye when watching TV and movies. How are they portraying people of color and why? What purpose does it serve?

I don't see enough of it in film/tv/game discussion. You'd think you would, but just not enough.

Not gonna lie though, there's some of these that I'm still working on.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please enlighten me to this nebulous concept so that I don't understand as anything other than "maybe consider not doing a mix-race relationship"
There is a problem with white girls (in the UK at least, don't know if it is the same in US) that only get with black dudes cus they think mixed race babies are cuter then white babies. Like they want a relationship just to say they got a mixed race kid and call it cute. When I walked my nephew in his pram, I got that shit so much

Witch

Jan 1, 2018
the moon
5. Related: Don't refer to Africa as a country. It's a continent and it's wildly varied. Yes. Take a moment.

Well, I am not retarded. Now, the list is a guide targeted towards whites, right? So again, the writer assumes that most whites are below the normal intelligence range? ok.
"37. But also be patient if our English isn't perfect. Are you bi/tri/multi-lingual? Probably not. It's hard."
This also assumes that if you're white, you're monolingual.
83. Don't refer to things as your "spirit animal" if you're not Native. There are other ways to express affinity with something.
Doesn't Buzzfeed do this all the time?

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to assume that there is a greater cultural significance to dabbing that I'm missing, because otherwise what, but in any case, saying dabbing is a black culture thing isn't actually doing anything to that problem at all.
Dabbing was a regional thing from the Atlanta trap scene. I'm not gonna scream from the hills claiming it to be a pillar of black culture but it's on the long list of things black youth culture created that crossed over and died hard on The Ellen Degeneres show months later.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
"I'm from Korea."
"Oh, cool! I went to China once!"

You may be trying to relate, but in practice you're having the opposite effect.

Americans tell me all the time they had visited France or Spain when I say I'm Italian. I don't find this problematic. It might start a conversation. A European is more likely to know European countries than an African or an American.

It also assumes that other races know geography very well (or better than whites, at least) which I don't think it's particularly true.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Depends on who you ask but I think it's more in the line of how most afro hairstyles (which are the most fitting and less aggressive for that type of hair) are frowned upon, deemed unprofessional, dirty, unkempt or unfit even for school but then white people do them and they're perfectly OK and even considered fashionable in some cases. Dreads are some kind of gray area since all you have to do is stop combing for them to happen sooner or later but the rest like cornrows or small braids are a better example.

Interesting. From my perspective though, as an example, a black guy in a suit and tie with cornrows would look professional but a while guy with cornrows could never really look professional.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Due to a combination of my name and profile pic, I have been told on a couple of occasions that essentially my opinions don't matter because they assume I live or have lived in a dictatorship or something.

Just last week I made a post in the comment section of a Trudeau FB post. Where I asked if all the angry left leaning voters would rather the conservatives get back in power, so they could do the anti-environmental stuff they're mad about and then also send us back to the Stone Age socially. Some guy comes in and starts yapping about Liberals and how corrupt they are and then adds, "Hasan, I'm sure you're familiar with dictatorships."

I've had someone do the same during the 2015 elections (told me I couldn't talk about democracy because my people don't know what that is), so I told they guy, "I don't know, do they have dictatorships in LaSalle, Ontario?" His answer, "Hahahaha come on...you know what I mean." The fuck?

Interesting that I have to deal with this extra element from Conservatives simply because my name and face don't match up with what good ol' Harper referred to as "old stock Canadians."

#102 Don't fucking assume I haven't lived almost my entire life in the same country as you, dumb fuck.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
I'm with most of it.

11. Is bullshit, I grew up mostly with black friends, and that's still who I am close with to this day. We have similar sense of humor am I supposed to cut myself off from the funny memes they post? Fuck off with the comedic segregation people seem to be growing fans of recently.
I see this.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but I can't stop a guy from shooting up a black church, or a Nazi parade, or systemic racism in law enforcement.

But I can be mindful of how other people perceive my actions. If I'm aware that someone will probably see my earnest engagement as a teeny bit insulting, I can simply avoid it.
But people face that kind of shit every day. Regardless of who they are. Isn't that just part of personal interactions? Here's a personal example I face every day.

"Where ya from?"

Me: "Virginia"

"Oh, isnt that where all the incest people are from?"

Me"......."

Another:

"What's your middle name?"

Me: *gives middle name

"BAAAHAHAH that's awful. Is that German?"

I mean, going by the standard set by the list, that's what it feels like. Also, I'm gonna need somebody to help me understand how somebody being genuinely interested in you, your culture, or understanding more about all those things, is a bad thing

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Dabbing was a regional thing from the Atlanta trap scene. I'm not gonna scream from the hills claiming it to be a pillar of black culture but it's on the long list of things black youth culture created that crossed over and died hard on The Ellen Degeneres show months later.

There's a lot of things that originated in one culture that spread to others. The natural result of living in a racial melting pot like America. I really don't think you can co-op arm movements.

Dreads, sure, that has a long history and meaning, but dabbing? Really.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
"37. But also be patient if our English isn't perfect. Are you bi/tri/multi-lingual? Probably not. It's hard."
This also assumes that if you're white, you're monolingual.

Doesn't Buzzfeed do this all the time?

Fortunately the author used the word "probably". US census data tells us that their initial feeling is correct.

Buzzfeed doing it does not make it correct l, and in fact it seems as if the author would probably encourage to cease and desist.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
You're welcome. Instead of getting mad, I'll present these threads as such and hope people get it. Or least acknowledge some issues.

This thread is a really good idea. This kind of discussion is healthy, even when people argue with the list. People should roll with the spirit of it and not act like these are all sins that they are going to be damned for committing.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a problem with white girls (in the UK at least, don't know if it is the same in US) that only get with black dudes cus they think mixed race babies are cuter then white babies. Like they want a relationship just to say they got a mixed race kid and call it cute. When I walked my nephew in his pram, I got that shit so much
Hmmm I don't know if thats a thing in the US, at least not that I've witnessed, however, if white ladies are holding a preference for the Black gents, it isn't for the cute babies. Now THAT I hear almost exclusively. Is that the same thing?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
LA Fitness? What happened at LA Fitness?
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/20/us/la-fitness-apology/index.html
You'll also find a thread somewhere on ERA, I think.

pretty reasonable list of suggestions that some people are gonna nitpick the fuck out of to score points
I think it's a bad idea to make a list that includes terrible points, when some (or even most) of the points are so incredibly important.
Telling people they can't wear dreads, and adding that they look like shit with them anyway?
The phrasing of number 17 that is so damn overly reductive it can't be considered valid?

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory drive-by post. Failing to read the points raised in the OP. Erasing an individual's identity.
Why the writer says "White People" like if she wasn't one??

WIN_20140602_173531-1024x576.jpg

kesiena.jpeg

At least in brazil, she wouldn't be considered black, maybe mixed race.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Why the writer says "White People" like if she wasn't one??

WIN_20140602_173531-1024x576.jpg

kesiena.jpeg

At least in brazil, she wouldn't be considered black, maybe mixed race.

Hey look, something on the list we should all agree with.

16. Don't question someone's Blackness if they're light-skinned. It's not your place. Other Black people can make sure that light-skinned Black people are cognizant of their privilege.

Moreso the first part.

Nov 9, 2017
Please enlighten me to this nebulous concept so that I don't understand as anything other than "maybe consider not doing a mix-race relationship"

One thing that really annoys me is when people try to tell mixed race couples and children how they should behave and what race their children really are. Its like you can't be just mixed and proud of both of your races, you have to be one or the other. If you are just mixed and not a single race you are messing up our race based political arguments or something.

If you are half black and half white, you are really black. Or if you are half Asian and half white, you are really white. It's actually OK to be just mixed and other people don't get to put you in a box they want to define you as.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Fortunately the author used the word "probably". US census data tells us that their initial feeling is correct.

Buzzfeed doing it does not make it correct l, and in fact it seems as if the author would probably encourage to cease and desist.
Isn't US census data part of the problem? You know, assumptions? A lot of "initial feelings" could be considered racist in some context.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I don't know if thats a thing in the US, at least not that I've witnessed, however, if white ladies are holding a preference for the Black gents, it isn't for the cute babies. Now THAT I hear almost exclusively. Is that the same thing?
Skin fetish shit is annoying as well, if that is what you are on about. If it the big dick thing that is another weird annoying thing. It's like we are just a fetish to some people instead of just being another person. The mixed baby thing is huge in UK, you see it everywhere.