lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
"It's important to remember that the majority of people don't have a screen that does 4K120, so there's an audience that the S is designed for," said Bibby. "They perhaps won't need some of the detail the X can achieve. However, it's important to remember the S is an extremely capable machine, because those hardware differences are focused on delivering a similar experience at a lower resolution."​

"That is a really smart approach, the device has ray tracing, an SSD, nominally the same CPU as a Series X," he said. "The only thing it lacks is the power to run at 4K- which simply isn't always needed, the bedroom TV of some teenage gamer isn't likely to be a 4K wallhanger beast, so its great for those situations. I would expect the Xbox Series S will be a real differentiator this generation."​

Meanwhile, The Falconeer developer Sala pointed out that thanks to features such as Smart Delivery, the power gap between the Xbox Series S and X is easy for developers to deal with. He went on to add, however, that the generation is going to be more about gameplay innovations than visual leaps, and that on that front, the Xbox Series S' hardware isn't lacking.​

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Well, so far it doesn't seem so.

It kind of sucks that developers seem to have to pour time/resources (that they could spend in other areas) into optimization for it to get decent performance.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
because those hardware differences are focused on delivering a similar experience at a lower resolution."

That's not what's happening, though. DMCV lacks ray tracing entirely on Series S, and AC Valhalla runs at half the framerate.

It's not just difference in resolution. Not at all.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
of course it is. RT in watchdogs was a pleasant surprise and as time goes by I think more 3P devs will find ways to push the console even further.. but In the end I expect XGS and Bethesda studios to show others how it's done. I'm looking at you TC, PG Games and Id Soft.

Last edited:

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I have confidence that the Series S will show its legs. It's real strengths are in the CPU and the SSD as the drivers of next gen, the GPU was cut down for that. Once next-gen games come out that focus on exploiting those features for game and engine design, I think the Series S will start to make more sense than it is now.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It definitely has a lot flexibility than last gen however the issue with it is selling it just framerate parity and lower resolution which based on early returns is definitely not what it is.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it seems to be a capable device in theory. The problem, however, is reality.

At this point maybe it's drawing the short straw, as having the smallest install base of ~7 console hardware configurations. I can also imagine it getting the 'Xbox One / S' treatment of receiving struggling ports.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Short term, yes. As a game pass machine it's great. Long term, it's gonna get long in the tooth. Devs will have issues supporting it.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
As Microsoft's tools mature, I think it'll be absolutely fine. I was hesitant of it's viability, but a was surprised to come across a number of my friends whose televisions were relics without even 4K capabilities.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
We are right at the start of the generation. Things might improve. How will the S deal with games that are built specifically for next gen? 30fps and 1080p? What about games that have dynamic resolution scaling? How many 1080p gamers with TVs in their bedrooms will have VRR? So many questions. Only time will tell.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It kind of sucks that developers seem to have to pour time/resources (that they could spend in other areas) into optimization for it to get decent performance.
Isn't that the job of a dev, for all machines. What an odd take.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As Microsoft's tools mature, I think it'll be absolutely fine. I was hesitant of it's viability, but a was surprised to come across a number of my friends whose televisions were relics without even 4K capabilities.
Man, the tools narrative has really taken hold here. People are going to be disappointed when this doesn't pan out like you think it will based on thinking "tools improvements" will magically get the Series S to be something it's not.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Running a cross Gen assassins Creed game at 30fps. He can say whatever he wants. But series s has proven to be a bad purchase if anything.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Isn't that the job of a dev, for all machines. What an odd take.
It is, but supporting an odd/under powered system obviously adds overhead that devs don't feel like is worth it.

Maybe they'll just stop supporting the Series S if it really starts becoming a burden later in the generation.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I believe once these consoles get the DLSS equivalent from AMD, we are going to get some nice performance boost. I believe the series s will benefit it greatly.

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
The Series S looks fine for launch day, but it's really going to struggle 3+ years down the road. It's limited memory (12GB) will make it struggle with next-gen only titles that are pushing XSX and PS5 (both 16GB). And once the mid-gen refreshes come out, Series S will really look to be behind the curve.

You are going to be better off saving your pennies and buy a Series X after the first price drop.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
What narrative is that? You think late underdeveloped tools is made up?
The same is said currently for the series X too. The tools apparently aren't ready. We are seeing quirks and performance issues on series X of all places. The same issues are going to be the Series S as well.

Gotta give it time.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the tools narrative has really taken hold here. People are going to be disappointed when this doesn't pan out like you think it will based on thinking "tools improvements" will magically get the Series S to be something it's not.
Better understanding of RDNA2 + mature tools would see much better gains, that's not some unsubstantiated theory. I think I'll believe what the devs say on this.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
One of my fave games ever was created on Unity (Outer Wilds), I'm looking forward to seeing what Unity based indies are gonna be able to do on the S now they don't have to worry about the CPU holding them back.

EDIT: Sorry for not following the narrative.

Why even post S related news? Just the same posters coming in every thread to shit it up before it's even started.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It's not worth the money IMO. It also seems that it's not doing what MS advertised to do and that's with the launch titles. I wonder if developers will ever be able to drop Series S support all together especially if a more powerful machines get's released towards the middle of the generation.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's not worth the money IMO. It also seems that it's not doing what MS advertised to do and that's with the launch titles. I wonder if developers will ever be able to drop Series S support all together especially if a more powerful machines get's released towards the middle of the generation.
What isnt it doing?

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
A lot of people interested in playing games don't need everything to run at 4k 120hz ultra settings. The Series S is a great option for many who obviously don't post on gaming message boards. Judging the console by a few cross gen pandemic affected launch games is short sighted at best.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
The same is said currently for the series X too. The tools apparently aren't ready. We are seeing quirks and performance issues on series X of all places. The same issues are going to be the Series S as well.

Gotta give it time.
This is true, but after reading some threads in here over the last couple of days you would think the SX is not as powerful as the 1X.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
It'll be powerful enough to run Game Pass and I guess that's what matters. I can't see the $100 difference between XSS and PS5DE being enough to warrant an XSS unless you want a cheap Game Pass box.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Sounds about right honestly, and I am more than certain that the parity between S|X will only improve as the generation goes on. With the tools not being where they should have been, a fucking global pandemic forcing everyone to work at home, the fact that the AC devs built the game for nine goddamn platforms and just new hardware in general.

The PlayStation 3 wasn't seen as doomed when Call of Duty 3 capped out at 30fps when it ran at 60 on Xbox and Xbox 360, and performance/parity only ever got better throughout the generation. So I really wouldn't worry about two launch games not running the best

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft just said that it will run the games at lower resolution. But games like ACV are running at much lower resolution and half the frame rate target(with dips even).
Yet we have many games that do. There seems abit to much focus on certain titles (wich is fine) Where the majority it does what it says.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The Series S looks fine for launch day, but it's really going to struggle 3+ years down the road. It's limited memory (12GB) will make it struggle with next-gen only titles that are pushing XSX and PS5 (both 16GB). And once the mid-gen refreshes come out, Series S will really look to be behind the curve.

You are going to be better off saving your pennies and buy a Series X after the first price drop.

Maybe the target audience for the S will barely notice of of the 'issues' or differences.

If you buy an S for your kid to play in their bedroom they're hardly being going to be doing a frame rate analysis or resolution count.

You're coming at it from the perspective of someone who goes as far as posting on a gaming forum discussion tech capabilities.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We are right at the start of the generation. Things might improve. How will the S deal with games that are built specifically for next gen? 30fps and 1080p? What about games that have dynamic resolution scaling? How many 1080p gamers with TVs in their bedrooms will have VRR? So many questions. Only time will tell.
Next gen developed games might work better as they will rely on the GPU less and the CPU more. The gen we are leaving had massive cpu limitations and are developed with that in mind.

So in theory, next gen only games should show Series S true strengths.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

It has 10GB, so your limited memory scenario is even more grim.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think a 1080 p, 30-60fps machine, playing next gen games, is exactly fine for what it is.

If you don't expect 1440p-4k, or 60-120fps always, then you should be a happy camper, I know I am. 120fps and 1440p would be the outliers.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm basically a Sony fanboy but I think the S isn't the worst idea. It's priced smartly, and with the correct optimizations could very well prove to be a sound value, just need to give it time. If I buy a MS console, it'll be the S as the vast majority of my time will be spent playing PS4 and PS5 games.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Short term, yes. As a game pass machine it's great. Long term, it's gonna get long in the tooth. Devs will have issues supporting it.
Hell, short-term it's going to get old. IMO.
I don't understand this mindset. Unless game graphics become so demanding that the barely run at 1080p30 on the Series X and PS5, the same games can always target a lower resolution/framerate for the Series S with lower quality textures in RAM. The GPU has the same features as the Series X, just with less raw power

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Seeing so many people cry about the XSS just reinforces just how so much of the gaming community just doesn't understand technology.

Not one bit, They think they do cuz they latch on to the marketing buzzwords that get thrown out every few years. But they even misuse those terms eventually also.

I will never understand how such an obsessive community that scours details on damn near anything just refuses to learn anything about how the hobby functions technologically and even further with how games are made in general

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Yes, Microsoft's powerful Xbox Series X is just magically not achieving the performance it should within video games. I don't think it's going to magically double performance, but things are undoubtedly going to get better - similar to how optimization gets better over the course of a generation for every console in existence.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's just a blunt falsehood that you need a 4k screen or framerates at 120 to tax hardware, particularly a $300 box, no matter how good the value is. Developers can always do more and they will keep doing more, and there are enough early releases to see that these consoles aren't just going to blaze through every scenario a developer throws at them.

The "tools" narrative is extra weird. Yes titles will look and run better down the road as internal engines improve and familiarity increases, but there's no reason to believe the Series S would be the only beneficiary to such things, and I don't see a scenario where the gap between it and other hardware magically closes. Realistically how much attention can or should developers even give to something that sits in a mid to low spec range when they have tons of other versions to also manage?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It's the launch week, right now ps ecosystem has to deliver for 3 wildly different platforms, xbox for 4 machines. So it's pretty obvious maaaaaany corners gonna be cut. End of 2021 should give us proper benchmarks.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020

How would you feel if a Series S user told you that it sucks that developers have to pour time and resources into optimizing or taking advantage of whatever other plastic box it is that you own? Would that make a lot of sense to you?

Jump_Button

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the long run ill be shocked if more game running in 900p or something as someone that got a S its nice now but when we start next gen for real