• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Trump: bringing peace to the Korean peninsula; bringing chaos to the Unites States..

*if you even believe trump had something to do with nk and sk finally ending their war*

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Moon absolutely deserves the recognition. He's been fighting this fight far longer. Coming in after an impeached President and going right into talks with NK is no joke.

Aye. Imprisoned by the dictator father of the very woman who got impeached, he's been working towards this for a very long time. I'm glad he's president of SK and he is very deserving of this opportunity and spotlight.

When people in this thread praise Trump like he was the mastermind behind all this, they really have no idea how much Moon has done and sacrificed to reach something like this. Trump does not deserve credit for sabre rattling over twitter. It is minuscule.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
This is all Mexico's doing if you think about it. Mexico sent Not Their Best to the US only so Americans would vote for Trump, who would unify Korea via Twitter. Thank you, Mexico!

(This is not even the most ridiculous stuff being said on this thread).

Deleted member 7430

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all Mexico's doing if you think about it. Mexico sent Not Their Best to the US only so Americans would vote for Trump, who would unify Korea via Twitter. Thank you, Mexico!

(This is not even the most ridiculous stuff being said on this thread).

You know who I give credit for this: Obama.

Because you know, Obama had nothing to do with helping our economy recover. It's all Trump. When the DOW falls, it's all Obama's fault. /s

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I pretty much just go with what the consensus opinion from the trusted experts on NK have to say and many of them seem to be concerned at how much the language is similar to past agreements and how little solid commitments were made.

This is a good summary by Victor Cha.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/peace...know-about-koreas-summit-and-trump-kim-summit

pfft, who needs expert opinions about how this isn't too materially different from the last several summits' joint declarations (all of which NK has violated) when we can just kneejerk about Nobels?

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so is North Korea + South Korea gonna join together into one big Korea or is it staying the same except they're just not gonna get hostile with each other?

sorry i'm idiot.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
so is North Korea + South Korea gonna join together into one big Korea or is it staying the same except they're just not gonna get hostile with each other?

sorry i'm idiot.
at absolute best it's gonna be the latter with somewhat more trade

based on prior track record, Kim's probably going to get sanctions relief and then we're gonna be right back here in 7-ish years

Why is everybody assuming Trump has a hand in this? It's two foreign countries making an agreement. Americans love to take credit for things they didn't do.
if anything his "hand" is in making Moon want to sidestep him as much as humanly possible, but if you point that out you're apparently blindly hating

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
at absolute best it's gonna be the latter with somewhat more trade

based on prior track record, Kim's probably going to get sanctions relief and then we're gonna be right back here in 7-ish years

if anything his "hand" is in making Moon want to sidestep him as much as humanly possible, but if you point that out you're apparently blindly hating
oh well at least there is hope of peace. maybe we won't be back here in 7-ish years.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to the south Korean president he's making history
Maybe, maybe not. This is far from the first time North Korea has said "okay, we'll stop being assholes" in order to have sanctions relief. Then they just go back to doing what they've always done.

If this works out, great. But until further notice, I'm

giphy.gif

And it's better if we all go into it that way rather than getting excited. Maybe Trump was irrational enough to have helped make this happen, maybe he was a non-factor, who knows, but we should also wait until all of the facts come out before giving him praise or hating on him (for this specific issue).

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Hope it goes through.

yep. same shit as every other time, but people still keep falling for it.

Q5: Should we be optimistic or pessimistic looking ahead?

A5: The summit between the two Koreas is another positive step in diplomacy that keeps the situation around the Korean peninsula peaceful, moving away from last year's atmosphere of crisis. The positive atmospherics of the meeting, and North Korea's continued adherence to a weapons testing moratorium should also be welcomed. However, the inter-Korean summit today perhaps raises more questions than it answers. There is clear agreement between the two Koreas that there should be no war on the Korean peninsula anymore. But it is still unclear whether the North Korean regime defines denuclearization in the same way as the United States (CVID—complete, verifiable, and irreversible denuclearization). It is still unclear whether there will be an attenuation of the U.S. alliance commitment to South Korea as a condition for North Korea's denuclearization. And it is still unclear whether North Korea still believes that it can have its cake and eat it too (that is, keep its nuclear weapons while receiving economic and energy assistance for tension reduction).

Theres a lot of unknowns here. It will be easy to return NK to the status quo if theres no effort for getting rid of the nukes.. But, this article isn't really saying much besides lets wait and see. Hardly a nothingburger.

If NK just continues to do what they always do -- oh well? I welcome some good change, and look forward to the actions.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peace in the Korean peninsula is more important than making sure Trump doesn't get any credit. I hate Trump but you people need to stop being petty and selfish. This is a seriously bad look..
Yeah, this thread is embarrassing.

Anyway, great news, hopefully we can see the results in the short time.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're referring to that study. Even if that were true, how would that magically erase the nukes and ICBMs they've already produced? Your previous comment made no sense.

I understand. This is the thinking that I've read from countless sources, not my own:

ICBMs aren't nukes, as you know. They are just the delivery system for warheads. North Korea doesn't launch nukes, they test their nuclear detonations to publicize their progress toward one day having the capabilities to mass-produce nuclear weaponry that would make North Korea a legitimate threat to other countries. Ultimately, it's a bargaining chip. if they can no longer conduct nuclear tests with apparently increasing efficiency and power, they lose their bargaining chip they have used for decades to threaten national leaders into negotiating/bargaining in order to obtain economic relief. They have no real designs of indiscriminately attacking the US or Japan, if they have any sense of self-preservation.

Testing nukes has brought their enemies to the table once again. Their nuclear program is working just as planned. It has never been anywhere close to this advanced with their development of improved ICBM weapon systems. So, the thinking is that if they are apparently giving so much of their bargaining power for so little, there are many people out there who believe that North Korea no longer has faith they can continue to go to that well and thus are VERY eager to use the success of the ICBM program to get as much relief they can while they can still project strength.

Watching President Trump's language as of late, it's clear to me that he has been advised that NK is no longer negotiating from the same position of strength that they once were. He seems almost cold and aloof on the idea of negotiating. Almost like he is projecting that he expects it to be a worthless endeavor. That's all just bluster at the behest of his national security advisors, I'm sure. All of this together leads me to agree with the opinion out there that perhaps North Korea's position has degraded not only because of the continued sanctions, but because they simply have had a massive massive setback in nuclear testing capabilities.

You are free to disagree, but I'm sure you can at least acknowledge that it makes sense.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better to end this war, even if Trump wants to take credit for it... think of bigger picture than keeping an egomaniac from getting his jollies for something he didn't directly get involved with.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
That makes much more sense than "Trump did it".

http://www.iflscience.com/policy/th...ea-halted-nuclear-testing-and-its-terrifying/

The mountain above North Korea's main nuclear test site Punggye-ri has likely collapsed following a nuclear test last fall, sparking concerns about radioactive fallout and environmental catastrophes, according to geologists at the University of Science and Technology of China.

It comes less than a week after North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un announced the reclusive nation would immediately suspend nuclear and missile tests and scrap its testing site ahead of meetings with the United States and South Korea, now suggesting an alternative reason behind the site's closure.

"The onsite collapse calls for continued close monitoring of radioactive materials from the nuclear test site," the geologists wrote in a study that will appear in an upcoming issue of Geophysical Research Letters.

Nuclear explosions release enormous amounts of heat and energy. Following a nuclear bomb test on September 3 of last year, the researchers say the "explosion created a cavity and a damaged 'chimney' of rocks" out of nearby Mount Mantap that could be leaching radioactivity. Estimated at 100 kilotons, the blast was the sixth test 10 times stronger than any of the previous five. For comparison, the bomb that was detonated over Hiroshima in 1945 was 15 kilotons. About 8.5 minutes after the explosion, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake was recorded with four subsequent earthquakesgenerated in the following weeks.

By collecting high-quality seismic data and examining satellite imagery before and after the tests, scientists were able to determine where these earthquake swarms occurred and that they were indeed caused by the tests. Past tests have altered the area's capacity to withstand tectonic stress to the extent that previously inactive tectonic faults have reached a state of "critical failure". Further disturbances and future nuclear testing in the region could generate more destructive earthquakes.

"Given the history of the nuclear tests North Korea performed beneath this mountain, a nuclear test of a similar yield would produce collapses in an even larger scale creating an environmental catastrophe," says the paper.

The findings confirm a study published last month that found similar results, suggesting the tectonic events were in fact man-made and not the result of naturally occurring tectonic activity. The paper described the aftershock as most likely a "rapid destruction of an explosion-generated cracked rock chimney due to cavity collapse."

No radioactive materials have been collected along the North Korea-China border, but Chinese officials fear radioactive dust may be leaching through cracks and holes in the damaged mountain.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this thread is embarrassing.

Anyway, great news, hopefully we can see the results in the short time.

Trump supporters are indeed embarrassing. That is an immoral life to live.

Also, people not willing to give Trump full credit in this thread have no affect on the peace process. So everyone can stop with the lectures.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 5 years if North Korea hasn't fucked around like they have traditionally done then I will be open to giving trump some credit until then like Obama any sort of Nobel Prize would be premature and just further diminish an already tainted award

Oct 29, 2017
Peace in the Korean peninsula is more important than making sure Trump doesn't get any credit. I hate Trump but you people need to stop being petty and selfish. This is a seriously bad look..

I think it's extremely tacky that people come in with one-line posts "thanks trump!" and "noble peace prize for trump when???", with zero discussion about anything regarding the Korean peninsula. THAT'S what's selfish and self-centered.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

What's really a bad look is claiming people are saying Trump not getting credit is more important than peace in Korean peninsula. Stop spewing crap.

People are saying anyone claiming Trump deserves credit for the peace treaty are full of it and they are. Trump's only involvement was talking shit and making threats on Twitter calling Un the "rocket man" and other childish nonsense.

He deserves 0 credit and the Trump-supporting clowns on this site repeating to themselves otherwise isn't going to suddenly make it true.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
oh well at least there is hope of peace. maybe we won't be back here in 7-ish years.

Try days or weeks at this rate, fascist trumpolini at the helm.

I think it's extremely tacky that people come in with one-line posts "thanks trump!" and "noble peace prize for trump when???", with zero discussion about anything regarding the Korean peninsula. THAT'S what's selfish and self-centered.
Not only that you shouldn't give fascists credit for anything, also this is no different than all the other times they've done this shit under different names, NK is going to get sanctions lifted and then they are going to do whatever they want until the money runs dry again.

What Trumpolini ends up doing when NK inevitably keeps being NK, is what scares me, he will take it deeply personally and that isn't good for anyone on the planet, because he's a fucking sociopathic dipshit madman.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
So we gonna do anything about those NK death camps now or does this legitimize them?
The goal is to end the Korean war, prevent war with the US, denuclearization, and create openness in their side. No matter what, the death camps would not have gone away, and it was not going to be achieveable anyways. What will happen though is that S. Korea's soft power will change the psychological character of N. Korea. This is in fact already happening, the N. Korea of today is different than that from the 90s, and the idea that they are perpetually closed off in information is not true anymore. Change is coming, but it will take a long time.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
What's really a bad look is claiming people are saying Trump not getting credit is more important than peace in Korean peninsula. Stop spewing crap.

People are saying anyone claiming Trump deserves credit for the peace treaty are full of it and they are. Trump's only involvement was talking shit and making threats on Twitter calling Un the "rocket man" and other childish nonsense.

He deserves 0 credit and the Trump-supporting clowns on this site repeating to themselves otherwise isn't going to suddenly make it true.

Seriously, it's amazing to me how self centered American perspective on this is. The whole giving credit to Trump thing ignores how much work S. Korean government did to make this happen.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Seriously, it's amazing to me how self centered American perspective on this is. The whole giving credit to Trump thing ignores how much work S. Korean government did to make this happen.

Well not only that but it ignores the fact that we literally have done nothing except have our dumbfuck, mouth-breathing, white trash piece of shit president escalate and make threats on the internet. He literally did the opposite of help.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Good news.
Trump had fuck all to do with it. It almost reads like a pact against Trump and aggressive foreign policy to me.

Nah, he was US President and took a hardline and his UN ambassador pressed for and got security council sanctions and it was his wacky administration and intelligence photos showing China trying to help ship oil but getting caught finally causing Kim to breal and ask for help. Kim Jong-Un was not Kim Il-Sung or Kim Jong-Il. That is why he assasinated his older brother. His grip on the country has been far less strong than his dad and grandfather. He was also foreign educated, the military is starving, they have achieved full ballistic missile intelligence and nuclear testing capabilities that they can do this dog and pony show now. Look Trump is a shitheel but he will be historically remembered now for ending the Korean War. Wait for the photos of him with Kim and how they'll be seen 50 years from now as a Tear Down This Wall type moment.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
User Banned (3 Weeks): Insulting other members and groups they disagree with, history of similar behaviour.
Nah, he was US President and took a hardline and his UN ambassador pressed for and got security council sanctions and it was his wacky administration and intelligence photos showing China trying to help ship oil but getting caught finally causing Kim to breal and ask for help. Kim Jong-Un was not Kim Il-Sung or Kim Jong-Il. That is why he assasinated his older brother. His grip on the country has been far less strong than his dad and grandfather. He was also foreign educated, the military is starving, they have achieved full ballistic missile intelligence and nuclear testing capabilities that they can do this dog and pony show now. Look Trump is a shitheel but he will be historically remembered now for ending the Korean War. Wait for the photos of him with Kim and how they'll be seen 50 years from now as a Tear Down This Wall type moment.

One question, how furiously are you masturbating over Donald's picture right now?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Remembered by whom? Not anyone with half a fucking brain.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
A mature and intelligent response.
Well, it sounds like he's gone down the conservative rabbit hole, and they don't have maturity or intelligence. I was merely making an attempt to communicate in a manner that they might understand, then maybe come to a conclusion about the error of his or her ways as a human being.

JORMBO

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it sounds like he's gone down the conservative rabbit hole, and they don't have maturity or intelligence. I was merely making an attempt to communicate in a manner that they might understand, then maybe come to a conclusion about the error of his or her ways as a human being.

Maybe try having a conversation with him on what you disagree with in his post instead of immediately hurling an insult and acting like you are superior?

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Maybe try having a conversation with him on what you disagree with in his post instead of immediately hurling an insult and acting like you are superior?
Don't have to act superior when he's probably a trump supporter.

Like, there's no discussion to be had.

EDIT: Oh wait are you mad because you are also a Trump supporter? I mean...that makes sense I make a lot of conservatives angry.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the pictures between Kim and Moon are really inspiring. I do hope this will bring peace.

Is Singapore the country chosen for summit between NK and US?

Status
Not open for further replies.