• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Notice how the thread went from a mostly decent discussion on how people can feel about this subject before one person threw it off the rails
I joined in because it wasn't a decent discussion though. Y'all throwing around harmful stereotypes like it's nothing when we're all supposed to be trying to rid the world of them. Wtf are you talking about.

I thought we're trying to fight stereotypes and rasicm. Not fucking fuel it for fuck sake.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Oh...disliking pervasive black stereotypes being used onscreen for comedy is a whoooooollllleeee other thing.

That's not what this thread is about (sorry, I didn't read the entire thread so I missed what people's stances were and that it went a whole other way)
That's literally what the first several pages are about.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I repeat

The discussion was going well, with someone even stating they were gonna cry out OUTRAGE CULTURE!!!! before reading and understanding that no one had an issue with her being just a voice, but more so the lack of black people in Pixar movies

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, her voice tone is the crux of this conversion. Some people are try to sell it's due to racial stereotyping versus being in tone with the joke. So it appears to me some people seem to be oblivious to that connection.

No, the premise of the conversation is that the response is tone deaf because the stereotypical nature of her voice in conjunction with the statement of "she's funnier as a voice" given the representation of black women in media/film/animation.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
At no point was this thread a decent discussion.
You're right, people voiced their criticism with the character pretty plainly and were shouted down as being SJWs from the start.

I posted this on page 4, and one person responded to me saying that they understood but thought it was still overblown.
Do people not get that the problem is compounded by her being both not seen on screen and being the go-to archetype for black women in media, ESPECIALLY in animation? There is nothing wrong with being an off-screen gag alone, but that in addition to the characterization is what's rubbing people the wrong way.

Making the sassy black woman invisible twice in a row is a slap in the face.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
You're right, people voiced their criticism with the character pretty plainly and were shouted down as being SJWs from the start.

par for the course on the internet

xV67dCe.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

No wait you didn't respond to my comment though!
How often are those women of different color who speak like that portrayed in movies?

How often are women who speak like that portrayed as black women in movies?

That's the thing about stereotypes. Where I grew up, people are gonna see a black man having an argument with his off-screen sassy wife who's using AAVE and they're going to assume she's a black woman, and apply whatever image they have for that stereotype to her. And since there isn't enough representation of black women in our media, it's going to reinforce those stereotypes because there's nothing else to balance it out.

It doesn't matter if she's hypothetically not black. Doesn't matter if it's intentional. Doesn't matter if the scene is funny. What I just described is still going to happen.

And people are gonna feel certain ways about that.
I feel like that's a reasonable and rational point to bring up that's important to what is being discussed here.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not trying to say they are.

I'm trying to say this.

If a stereotype isn't exclusive to something, how can people then try to use that said stereotype as evidence for the particular thing it's not exclusive to?

Basically

Stereotype: Sassy black woman, said stereotype isn't exclusive to black women because people of other colour use a sassy voice also.

Character: sounds like a sassy woman.

People: That's racist! Even though a sassy voice has already been established not to be exclusive to black women.

Do you understand what I mean? There's no evidence whatsoever.

This completely ignores the context of the quote I already provided where Brad Bird specifically mentions that Frozone being the first black walk-around character in Disneyland means he feels they've "done ok."

You entire point rests on the idea that context given in the quote combined with the stereotypical portrayal in the first film means absolutely nothing because we haven't seen the character and Bird never specifically states "Honey Best is black." To argue that point completely ignores the rules of language and communication. You're trying to argue a strange variant of correlation isn't causation but to do so you're dismissing key contextual information, some of which comes from the creator themselves.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
what are "these threads"?

I would assume any thread where people are saying "Oh, so by that you mean . . . "

or

"Hmm, but I guess that how you view . . . ."

or

"Sorry, but your assumption that all . . . "

If you don't see people putting words in eachothers mouths, assuming and assigning motive I don't know what to say.

Is it still called white fragility when someone gets up in arms over the media they consume being called out?

That's probably just defending what media you like. If they were white and upset you pointed out something is racist against minorities that would be white fragility.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, the premise of the conversation is that the response is tone deaf because the stereotypical nature of her voice in conjunction with the statement of "she's funnier as a voice" given the representation of black women in media/film/animation.

Again I am going to have to disagree. The artist has every right to defend his work, especially when it comes up 14 years after the films release. As far as her voice, her first response is normal and only escalates after Frozone's tone gets more agitated and hits high gear when she realizes her night out is in jeopardy. In that short period of time they show her change. Her tone was not as one dimensional as 's being portrayed here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scrolling from the top of the page to the bottom of the page real fast...
I repeat

The discussion was going well, with someone even stating they were gonna cry out OUTRAGE CULTURE!!!! before reading and understanding that no one had an issue with her being just a voice, but more so the lack of black people in Pixar movies
Oh that's actually pretty coo-

My god... this happens in a lot of things. Ppl find anything to complain about.
Oh.

Red Alert

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
I cant even understand why anyone complains about this. Movie makers not supposed to create movies to fit every culture or audience.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

Does these women have history of racism? If not then it must be hard to fairly criticize a black person without being called racist nowadays.

Can't you see the kid is black? Obviously it's racism!

No! They made fun of us Canadians and now Americans bully me on Xbox live. They have to change there ways.

This is where I stand. I will be quick to condemn racism when I see it and treat all equal. But some people put racism on anything nowadays.

im noticing a trend lol

tumblr_inline_nfmjprHZpp1sdcm15.gif

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

To be fair, Pixar's track record for PoC barely exists until Coco and The Incredible's' Frozone (and his unseen wife) hardly set a high bar before that.

In terms of 'stealing a voice from black women', though an incredibly concerning issue, I'm not sure really works in this context as a particular strong example since it's going against some of its more comedic aspect.

Article said:
Also, Bird saying he and his team "actually went through all of the trouble" of designing a black character and not prominently featuring her is troublesome. Was the character design initially for Honey and recycled for another character? Or are there officially two black women the film dismisses? Also, just the phrase "went through the trouble" regarding black characters is irksome. Yes, more than likely Bird meant that they went through the process of creating a character who hasn't been used much, but the words "process" and "trouble" have different connotations. Overall, it just feels like Honey is being treated as if she's just a punchline to a joke. It'd be great if we could get richer characterization for Honey, something that showcases her as rounded, fleshed-out character instead of just a sassy black voice.

This is just an irksome read; it's really taking Bird's statement to heart in ways that's really hard to explain yourself otherwise without coming off as insulting.
Tons and tooooons of stuff gets left on the cutting room floor for films and Bird went for the comedic effect of an off-screen "threat".

Also from pages ago

My guess was always like...Trinidadian or something. :S

Last edited:

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This is just an irksome read; it's really taking Bird's statement to heart in ways that's really hard to explain yourself otherwise without coming off as insulting.
Tons and tooooons of stuff gets left on the cutting room floor for films and Bird went for the comedic effect of an off-screen "threat".

My guess was always like...Trinidadian or something. :S

Irksome indeed. And the author even uses the same "but in x it's ok so in y it is too," logic.

We get to see Elastigirl and Mr. Incredible interact; why not have similar dynamics between Frozone and his wife?

On that character it was just nice to see Elizabeth Pena's in something.

Edit: Oh God, I looked to see what she was up to and she died in 2014. What a loss.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
But it's clearly an artistic decision. Their dynamic works better offscreen. It's a throwaway character anyway so I hardly see an issue here.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Yep. Look who it is. Found your story of the day to cry about? Keep looking for racism and you'll find it in anything brother.
His first post in this thread:
I ain't got an issue with her being a voice, it works, it'd work if she was a face

Also using Helen and Bob is a stupid comparison

Fucking stupid comparison

Honey is used to be a punchline in relation to Lucius, there have been characters like this for generations male and female, but shit if a couple of people got an issue I'll listen

That comp was still dumb as shit
sweet insult tho

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
But it's clearly an artistic decision. Their dynamic works better offscreen. It's a throwaway character anyway so I hardly see an issue here.

It's not a great look when it's the only dynamic. A one off joke in the first film... ok sure. To do the same thing for the same joke in the second film though and I don't think it's excessive that some people are disappointed.

Something that a lot of people are missing is that it's not an issue of "I think this is racist." as much as it's "Do better Pixar. Do better Brad Bird."

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
How often are those women of different color who speak like that portrayed in movies?

How often are women who speak like that portrayed as black women in movies?

That's the thing about stereotypes. Where I grew up, people are gonna see a black man having an argument with his off-screen sassy wife who's using AAVE and they're going to assume she's a black woman, and apply whatever image they have for that stereotype to her. And since there isn't enough representation of black women in our media, it's going to reinforce those stereotypes because there's nothing else to balance it out.

It doesn't matter if she's hypothetically not black. Doesn't matter if it's intentional. Doesn't matter if the scene is funny. What I just described is still going to happen.

And people are gonna feel certain ways about that.

Also, people are responding to you the way they are because they are trying to express how this affects them based on their lived experiences, and you seem to be doing everything in your power to dismiss what they're saying, and then complaining about their tone.

Example:

You're right, you're the only one having this discussion. Everyone else is having a different discussion, and you keep jumping into it to make it about this character's hypothetical skin color.

Fantastic explanation. The underlying issue here isn't Bird's intent, it's how his use of a stereotypical "sassy black wife" style of vocal delivery for a black woman character reinforces a negative stereotype for laughs.

It's likely very under the surface for him, but it's still not a great creative decision given the context and delivery. The core concept is amusing, the execution calls into question just why some think that stereotype (probably without realizing it is one) is funny.

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
More PoC characters would be cool, but I'm totally on board with Frozones wife just being an off screen voice tbh.

People were seriously asking for more depth to that relationship? It was just a funny gag in the first movie, and looks to be a running gag for the series now. Just stick to the family dynamics of the main characters.

Basically this..

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Well, that's an interesting expression, when you consider just how throwaway black characters have been in media for so long. I mean, we all know the trope about "the black guy" in horror films, right?

See, it's the quiet pervasiveness of stereotypes that's so damaging. They get reinforced, even when the people engaging in things that reinforce them would normally never do it intentionally themselves. It makes bad actors out of decent people. Systemic racism, even down to the bedrock of low-level "harmless" stereotypes, is a real thing.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, that's an interesting expression, when you consider just how throwaway black characters have been in media for so long. I mean, we all know the trope about "the black guy" in horror films, right?

See, it's the quiet pervasiveness of stereotypes that's so damaging. They get reinforced, even when the people engaging in things that reinforce them would normally never do it intentionally themselves. It makes bad actors out of decent people. Systemic racism, even down to the bedrock of low-level "harmless" stereotypes, is a real thing.

:(

I mean, I feel for this issue, but this is a small bit role for a non-character for the sake of getting one silly joke out (ignoring the sassy black girl talk, which is an issue); the joke could have just as been easily cut or the character could not have existed at all — she exists for this one thing, she's basically an NPC to play off a quick skit with a more vital secondary character.

The Incredibles isn't really about Frozone nor his wife; it does have a lot to say about families, and that's why Frozone's bit was in there as suitable since it examines his family. But, like it or not, this isn't their movie, their roles are only gonna be so big; and Bird ran with a running gag of an 'offscreen foil' which isn't typically affiliated with any one race (and just happened in this one). Rather than break down every possible meaning of something (that's not to say that some posts here aren't concerning with how to casually dismiss an argument), the bigger and better question is the lack of PoC heroes which they might be getting better at as evidenced with Coco.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic explanation. The underlying issue here isn't Bird's intent, it's how his use of a stereotypical "sassy black wife" style of vocal delivery for a black woman character reinforces a negative stereotype for laughs.

It's likely very under the surface for him, but it's still not a great creative decision given the context and delivery. The core concept is amusing, the execution calls into question just why some think that stereotype (probably without realizing it is one) is funny.

Isn't the trope more of a 'husband under the thumb' kind of thing, which has been used countless times with couples of all ethnic backgrounds

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I repeat

You know, Honey's lack of screentime doesn't bother me that much either, but the bolded part made me realize I never really gave much thought to that point and it's very true.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Seeing this thread, I was absolutely right when it came to hyper defensiveness toward Bird/The Incredibles. I'll add comedy to it too.

But whew boy, it also tells me what to await when it comes to situations involving microaggressions, namely when aimed at black women. Not a good look Era.

This isn't a major thing, and won't be. Just a small disappointment for a trope carrying over.

In other words...

No ine is outraged

Y'all motherfuckers gotta stop saying outraged

Niggas talkin bout some shit isn't outrage

Asking a damn question isn't outrage

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Oh, and Pixar's track record with black women deserves to be called out. Big time. Not specifically for this, but in general.

They've had decades to work this out.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
You know, Honey's lack of screentime doesn't bother me that much either, but the bolded part made me realize I never really gave much thought to that point and it's very true.
Yeah, don't remember any black toys, fish, bugs or rats, not sure about black cars and monsters. The reason might be simple, nobody cared if this might turn into an issue one day. But I can't believe it happened out of any kind of bad intention.

Edit: Think there was a good share of black people on ship in Wall-E

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Isn't the trope more of a 'husband under the thumb' kind of thing, which has been used countless times with couples of all ethnic backgrounds
That trope is definitely in use here. Doesn't mean that there also isn't a stereotype at play.

Very few posters if any are alleging that the scene exists just to push that stereotype. It's just disappointing that the only black woman in a Pixar movie is, so far, portrayed that way.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
People are actually asking for Frozone's wife to be more than just a funny gag?

Brad Bird's an asshole, but he's not entirely wrong here. The joke wouldn't work as well if it cut away to Frozone's wife standing somewhere shouting.