Votes: 141 66.2%
  • What?

Votes: 15 7.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
ECQp_cSWsAA5-O9.jpg

So how did we get here?

89934-homer-bart-water-graphics-lisa-bird-simpson.png

Not the biggest deal, but I'll see the blue shirt Bart design every now and again and wonder why they changed it.

Which do you liked better?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like the orange because the colors are all more contrasting.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Blue shirt Bart was a merchandising mistake. There's only been 1 Bart in the show: Orange shirt

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I was always more partial to the Green Shirt.

NES_Krusty%27s_Fun_House.jpg

I even got a green-shirt Bart toy for Christmas, one year.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I do like the blue shirt but it might be just because orange is default so there is a novelty in seeing him in something different. I might feel the reverse if blue was in the show and orange was in merchandise.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It was always orange in the show and blue in licensed material. No idea how they landed on that though.
Fox was in a rush to get merchandising going before the show aired so they used a temporary/beta art work of Bart instead of the final design. The design they picked just happened to have a blue shirt which then became the character reference for all the merchandising companies. At the time, Fox didn't see a reason to update the character reference sheets since they likely didn't foresee the orange shirt color becoming iconic. Plus, the manufacturing had already begun and you don't want to upset your partners by letting some companies have the official design while others were already stuck with blue shirt Bart products. Hence blue shirt Bart stuck around for a few years during the heyday of the Simpsons.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Fox was in a rush to get merchandising going before the show aired so they used a temporary/beta art work of Bart instead of the final design. The design they picked just happened to have a blue shirt which then became the character reference for all the merchandising companies. At the time, Fox didn't see a reason to update the character reference sheets since they likely didn't foresee the orange shirt color becoming iconic. Plus, the manufacturing had already begun and you don't want to upset your partners by letting some companies have the official design while others were already stuck with blue shirt Bart products. Hence blue shirt Bart stuck around for a few years during the heyday of the Simpsons.
Huh. That makes sense! Thanks!

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I am team blue shirt, I find it if infinitely more pleasing to the eye than his official look. Plus it creates a greater contrast with Lisa and her dress.

It just feels right.
il-570x-N-1862621280-iea2.jpg

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Simpsons trademark/copyright stuff is so cool. I love how Matt Groening's signature has to be on EVERYTHING. Huge flex but mad respect to him.

I wonder how many of the infamous "Bootleg Bart" merch had blue vs. orange? It was a whole cottage industry of flagrant infringement on a scale so big it was even joked about in the show itself. Maybe it had an influence on the blue/orange policy.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
Simpsons trademark/copyright stuff is so cool. I love how Matt Groening's signature has to be on EVERYTHING. Huge flex but mad respect to him.

I wonder how many of the infamous "Bootleg Bart" merch had blue vs. orange? It was a whole cottage industry of flagrant infringement on a scale so big it was even joked about in the show itself. Maybe it had an influence on the blue/orange policy.
i remember seeing a ton of bootleg simpsons merch in mexico anytime i would visit.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
They even mention that in the show, when Homer gets attacked by a bull and then he asks Bart for his blue shirt IIRC.